HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If the 08-09 season ended yesterday...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
  #1
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 777
vCash: 50
If the 08-09 season ended yesterday...

Knowing you lost in the SCF, who do you keep, at what price, how many years and who do you let fly as a UFA?

List of UFA and RFAs:
Koivu, 21G 35A
Tanguay: 26G 38A
Kovalev, 36G 47A
Komi, 3G 14A + led the league in hits, 2nd in blocked shots.
(RFA)Plekanec, 27g 39A
(RFA)Higgins, 32G 24A
(RFA)Lats, 20G 18A
Bouillon 1G 6A
Dandenault: 6g 12A
Kostopoulos: 10G 16A

Koivu: Gone, unless he takes a*1.5-2M$ cut. But I admire his heart and determination.
Kovalev: 2 years, 5M a year
Tanguay: 4 years, 5.5 a year
Komi: 6 years, 4.8 a year
Plek: 6 years, 4 a year
Higgins: Traded or RFA'ed for picks.
Lats: 4 years, 2 a year
Bouillon: Goodbye.
Dandenault: I don't want to offend habs fans here and I really don't know what you guys think of him, but I think he's a really bad player that shouldn't be in the NHL anymore. Just my observation when I watch Habs games. So gtfo this team.
Kostopoulos: The guy's a warrior, but I think Stewart will be able to do his job. And IMHO, Montreal has one of the best fourth lines in the league.

Total: 21.3M without Koivu. Add this to the 20.86M the team will already have to pay and you get roughly 42M to play with. Keep in mind you still need to sign Mike Glumac, Stewart, D'Agostini, Chipchura and Begin.
Which should add-up to (without Begin) 46-47 M. Plenty of space to sign Hossa who will probably not be re-signed by my wings.
Tada.

Your turn!

(And yes, I'm a Wings fan on the Habs board. So what? I always loved the Hab's style of play and I almost never miss one of their games. This is a team with heart, passion and dedication to the game, with classy management and without a doubt the most hardcore and knowledgeable fans in the NHL. I also cried manly tears when Koivu came back to play.)

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
  #2
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
Knowing you lost in the SCF, who do you keep, at what price, how many years and who do you let fly as a UFA?

List of UFA and RFAs:
Koivu, 21G 35A
Tanguay: 26G 38A
Kovalev, 36G 47A
Komi, 3G 14A + led the league in hits, 2nd in blocked shots.
(RFA)Plekanec, 27g 39A
(RFA)Higgins, 32G 24A
(RFA)Lats, 20G 18A
Bouillon 1G 6A
Dandenault: 6g 12A
Kostopoulos: 10G 16A

Koivu: Gone, unless he takes a*1.5-2M$ cut. But I admire his heart and determination.
Kovalev: 2 years, 5M a year
Tanguay: 4 years, 5.5 a year
Komi: 6 years, 4.8 a year
Plek: 6 years, 4 a year
Higgins: Traded or RFA'ed for picks.
Lats: 4 years, 2 a year
Bouillon: Goodbye.
Dandenault: I don't want to offend habs fans here and I really don't know what you guys think of him, but I think he's a really bad player that shouldn't be in the NHL anymore. Just my observation when I watch Habs games. So gtfo this team.
Kostopoulos: The guy's a warrior, but I think Stewart will be able to do his job. And IMHO, Montreal has one of the best fourth lines in the league.

Total: 21.3M without Koivu. Add this to the 20.86M the team will already have to pay and you get roughly 42M to play with. Keep in mind you still need to sign Mike Glumac, Stewart, D'Agostini, Chipchura and Begin.
Which should add-up to (without Begin) 46-47 M. Plenty of space to sign Hossa who will probably not be resigned by my wings.
Tada.

Your turn!

(And yes, I'm a Wings fan on the Habs board. So what? I always loved the Hab's style of play and I almost never miss one of their games. This is a team with heart, passion and dedication to the game, with classy management and without a doubt the most hardcore and knowledgeable fans in the NHL. I also cried manly tears when Koivu came back to play.)
your opinion is the same than every habs fan methink

For Higgins, i do not think we should give up on him, the guys scored almost 30 goals last year and could score even more, i would be happier to see kovalev go than Higgins as a matter of facts

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
  #3
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
If Kovalev puts up 83 points this year, he'll be looking at a $6M a year deal. Someone may even offer him more short term. Similarly, if Pleks puts up 60+ points and you want to sign him for 6 years, it'll take more than $4M.

I don't see how Koivu is not worth at least $4.5M. Look around the league.

We all expect Dandenault to be gone ASAP, and I'm with you in thinking that Bouillon and Kostopoulos won't be back.

Aside from the salaries being a little low, the biggest problem with your "predictions" is indicating that it'll give us room for Hossa. If we lose Koivu, our center depth is ridiculously terrible and that becomes a dire need and the first thing to address.

But you know, ask me again in April, May, or June, and I'll give you a different answer. Guaranteed.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
  #4
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Are you dense or something? Do you see Detroit trading/letting go of its captain and its alternates? It's a really BAD IDEA that just can"t be explained with numbers. Locker room chemistry is huge in hockey and letting go of a respected, long-standing captain/fan favourite is absolutely out of the question. Yes, captains do occasionally leave their teams via UFA, but why rock the boat when you don't have to? Everybody knows that Koivu won't be looking for a huge payday. Compared to what other players around the league, Koivu's salary is fair. Look at what Doug Weight is making, for instance. Same thing with Higgins. Gainey loves him so thankfully he won't be going anywhere. If Hossa is getting added to this team, it won't be at the cost of Higgins.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
  #5
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 777
vCash: 50
I'm sorry for those who did not get it but the Hossa part was a kind joke.

Anyhow, it is true that Koivu is an important part of this team, on/off the ice. I see Kovalev or Plekanec leaving before him but you never know.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
  #6
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Trade Higgins, sign Glumac?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
  #7
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 777
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Trade Higgins, sign Glumac?
Hey I don't know much about Glumac. Except the puck must stick to him. (har har) This is speculation.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
  #8
redmachine54
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
I don't expect to see any of Bouillon, Bégin, Dandenault, or Kostopoulos returning after next season; D'Agostini, Stewart, Valentenko, and guys like Carle / Weber are all cheaper alternatives. Some would question throwing four young players in the line-up, but at that point, the team will have enough young veterans to compensate for it.

I could see one of Koivu / Kovalev / Tanguay getting let go, but it'd be strange to see... it'd be nice if they all took discounts, but if any of them hits FA, it'll be hard to tempt them away from the ridiculous offers coming their way. My own personal preference would be to try and move Hamrlik's salary for someone slightly worse but slightly cheaper; a 35-36 year-old Hamrlik making 5.5 million might haunt us a lot come the 2009-10 season.

Guys like Higgins and Plekanec, while RFA's, are still due for raises. If Gainey plans on taking off some UFA years, as well, it'll be even more costly.

All in all, I think it'll be an interesting predicament. I would love to see most of the team stay in tact, but I also didn't want guys like Damphousse or Turgeon traded either. I know, two different regimes, but I'm more inferring that what I (and most fans) want won't necessarily happen.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
  #9
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
I'm sorry for those who did not get it but the Hossa part was a kind joke.

Anyhow, it is true that Koivu is an important part of this team, on/off the ice. I see Kovalev or Plekanec leaving before him but you never know.
You know the part where you talked about heart, passion and dedication to the game as defining this team? All those attributes pretty much come from Koivu. Even during the dark days, the fans had something to hold on to in Captain K. The day he retires from this team will be a very emotional one for younger fans like myself, especially because we weren't around to watch guys like Lafleur.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:50 PM
  #10
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Personally I doubt Kovalev will be resigned, will be looking for a long term deal around 6-7 millions per year and I highly doubt Gainey will try to keep him.. Also, as skilled as Kovy is, he is a tough guy to play with since he plays his own game, its not easy to create any kind of chimestry when you have Kovy on your line, especially the nights where his legs arent moving.. If ever Paccioretty progress well and looks ready to make the jump, the decision will be even more easy to take.. If there is a position where we are very strong its on the wings, so I would spend the money elsewhere..

Koivu will have to be replaced, I think it will be time to part with our little captain courage, some years ago he was the only reason why I was watching the games, I have alot of respect for him but everthing change..

It will be interesting to see Tanguay play this year, if he has a good season I wouldnt be surprised to see Gainey try to resign him..

Komi will be priority one and people are gonna be surprised with the new contract he will sign.. Expect 6 millions per year..

Im not worried about our young RFAs, we will resign them...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
  #11
goldglove
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
Knowing you lost in the SCF, who do you keep, at what price, how many years and who do you let fly as a UFA?
hum ?

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
  #12
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Personally I doubt Kovalev will be resigned, will be looking for a long term deal around 6-7 millions per year and I highly doubt Gainey will try to keep him.. Also, as skilled as Kovy is, he is a tough guy to play with since he plays his own game, its not easy to create any kind of chimestry when you have Kovy on your line, especially the nights where his legs arent moving.. If ever Paccioretty progress well and looks ready to make the jump, the decision will be even more easy to take.. If there is a position where we are very strong its on the wings, so I would spend the money elsewhere..

Koivu will have to be replaced, I think it will be time to part with our little captain courage, some years ago he was the only reason why I was watching the games, I have alot of respect for him but everthing change..

It will be interesting to see Tanguay play this year, if he has a good season I wouldnt be surprised to see Gainey try to resign him..

Komi will be priority one and people are gonna be surprised with the new contract he will sign.. Expect 6 millions per year..

Im not worried about our young RFAs, we will resign them...
I'm glad you're not our GM! Are you the sone of Mike Milbury?

Kovalev is one of the reason we finished 1st last year. Without him, we would have never made it there. And he's hard to play with? Tell that to Kostitsyn and Plekanec, who both had career year! It's our only line that wasn't dismantled at some point...

And do you really think that Pacioretty will make a huge impact in his first year? The guy will be good, but not before a few years...

And Komisarek at 6 millions? Are you crazy?!?!? He will never make more than Markov period...It's pure logic, and he's not worth that much anyways...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
  #13
revin5*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
Based on the OP opinion of Bouillon, he doesn't understand hockey.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
  #14
Dripper
Registered User
 
Dripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Based on the OP opinion of Bouillon, he doesn't understand hockey.
Sorry to burst your bubble but there will likely be one a prospect ready to take Bouillon's spot in 2009-10.

Emelin's contract will be over in Russia so he might come over.
Carle had an impressive season in Hamilton last year as a rookie, and so did Valentenko.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as a 7th D, but with a huge paycut.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
  #15
Philanthropist
Registered User
 
Philanthropist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
hum ?
I love these hypothetical situation lol.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:31 PM
  #16
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I'm glad you're not our GM! Are you the sone of Mike Milbury?

Kovalev is one of the reason we finished 1st last year. Without him, we would have never made it there. And he's hard to play with? Tell that to Kostitsyn and Plekanec, who both had career year! It's our only line that wasn't dismantled at some point...

And do you really think that Pacioretty will make a huge impact in his first year? The guy will be good, but not before a few years...

And Komisarek at 6 millions? Are you crazy?!?!? He will never make more than Markov period...It's pure logic, and he's not worth that much anyways...
The Higgins Plekanec A.Kostitsyn line was working as much the year bofore.. Kovalev was on mission last year and I liked him alot in the whole but I doubt he will have another season like the one he just had.. I just dont like his tendency to take nights off or playing his east-west game, it makes it harder for his linemates when it happens..

Komisarek 6 millions, thats my prediction, wont get less than 5 millions thats for sure..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:24 AM
  #17
Noldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Looking at all the key forward vets expiring contracts individually:

Koivu: You keep the captain, it is as simple as that. Most likely won't be looking for big raise and is still under 35 (unlike Kovalev), so long term contract (a Hab for life!) can be used to bring the cap hit down. Personally I would hope for 6-5-3-2 (4 years at 4,0 million) or 6-4-2-2 at best case (4 years at 3,5 million). That should be great cap hit for 2nd line of center of Koivu's caliber during for first one or two seasons and manageable cap hit for 3rd line center for last two seasons (unless Koivu retires by then, when there will be no cap hit). The contract will be signed well before off-season (unless Gainy and Koivu agrees to see other contracts first in order to make most out of cap space).

Tanguay: Both Alex and Bob know that this is season of evaluation. If Tanguay plays well, he will receive a long term (3 or 4 years most likely) offer. By the time Alex's new contract is in the works, there will be quite good estimation available for next seasons, since I doubt he will be extended during the season unless he fits in unbelievable well. Target would probably be somewhere around 5,5 million, but could get a bit higher (we are talking about defensively responsible PPG player at best).

Kovalev: Colud be my prime candidate for one year contract. From team's perspective it is easier to give long term deals to both Tanguay and Koivu and with Sergei and Price (and Halak and Lapierre) up for contracts after next season, there might be need for some wiggle room (unless we are sure that cap rise would accommodate Sergei's and Price's contract extensions). For one season Kovalev could even be paid very well (6+ million), longer term could require team spirit from Kovalev.

The UFAs in bottom six (Begin, Dandenault, Kostopoulos) and bottom two (Bouillon) are all in jeopardy. Habs are having such talendted top-9, with less rookie contracts that they can not afford to pay bottom roles that much. ]Dandenault is definetly gone and I could easily see Valetenko or Carle pushing Bouillon out of job. There could be close to 1 million to be save from Begin and Kostopoulos, so it will depend on the rest of the contracts. If they are willing to sign for short term in June, they could be brought back, but I doubt they will be signed before or during the season.

Plekanec, Higgins, Latendresse and Komisarek are all just questions of term and salary. I see now reason for Gainey not to try to resign any of them. In order of importance, I would actually place Plekance first, since Habs have seriously thin depth at center. Komisarek is close second with Higgins and Latendresse in that order behind. However, if the contracts for the RFAs (Higgings, Plekanec, Latendresse) have not been signed come late June, Latendresse should become priority since more negotiation time can be achieved for both Plek and Higgins via arbitration (like Pens did with Fleury this year), without fear of offer sheets.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:04 AM
  #18
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Are you dense or something? Do you see Detroit trading/letting go of its captain and its alternates? It's a really BAD IDEA that just can"t be explained with numbers. Locker room chemistry is huge in hockey and letting go of a respected, long-standing captain/fan favourite is absolutely out of the question. Yes, captains do occasionally leave their teams via UFA, but why rock the boat when you don't have to? Everybody knows that Koivu won't be looking for a huge payday. Compared to what other players around the league, Koivu's salary is fair. Look at what Doug Weight is making, for instance. Same thing with Higgins. Gainey loves him so thankfully he won't be going anywhere. If Hossa is getting added to this team, it won't be at the cost of Higgins.
We do?
I'm no sure he'll be back

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
  #19
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 777
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Based on the OP opinion of Bouillon, he doesn't understand hockey.
Well I guess 90% of the board doesn't understand hockey then.

Don't get me wrong, he's a tank, but he isn't good enough to stop say Valentenko from getting on the team...

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:32 AM
  #20
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,043
vCash: 500
Sign Koivu at 2 years /8 millions
Sign Higgins at 5 years/ 16 millions
Sign Plekanek at 5 years 20 millions
Sign Tanguay at 4 years/ 20 millions
Sign Komisarek at 5 years/ 22 millions
Sign Kovalev at 2 years/ 10 millions
Bouillon...
Dandenault....
Kostopoulos...
Begin...

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
  #21
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
List of UFA and RFAs:
Koivu, 21G 35A = 56P
Tanguay: 26G 38A = 64P
Kovalev, 36G 47A = 83P
Komi, 3G 14A = 17P + led the league in hits, 2nd in blocked shots.
(RFA)Plekanec, 27g 39A = 66P
(RFA)Higgins, 32G 24A = 56P
(RFA)Lats, 20G 18A = 38P
Bouillon 1G 6A = 7P
Dandenault: 6g 12A = 18P
Kostopoulos: 10G 16A = 26P

Koivu: Lock him up for 4 seasons at 4.5 4.5 3.5 and 3.0 million (15.5 million over 4 seasons, he's getting old and declining but is a great playoff performer and has a lot of heart, I want him to retire here but he has to be reasonable with contract)
Kovalev: 2 years at 5.25 million a season
Tanguay: 3 years at 5 million a season
Komi: 6 years at 4.25 million a season (better to lock him up long term for less than short term for more, but I figure he could fetch 6 mil after going UFA, so this might not be that realistic to think he'd sign a long term deal for 4.25)
Plek: 5 years at 5 million a season
Higgins: 1 year at 3.5 million (I still have faith in this guy)
Lats: WALK
Bouillon: WALK
Dandenault: WALK
Kostopoulos: 2 years at 1.5 million a season

(And yes, I'm a Wings fan on the Habs board. So what? I always loved the Hab's style of play and I almost never miss one of their games. This is a team with heart, passion and dedication to the game, with classy management and without a doubt the most hardcore and knowledgeable fans in the NHL. I also cried manly tears when Koivu came back to play.)
Just wanted to say I think it's awesome that you follow the habs and are a geniune fan of the game.

My points were added to the quote

It would come to 34 million + the 20 some-odd million you mentioned. Maybe we'd have to cut corners here and there or the cap would go up as usual, so i don't know, but regardless I love our current roster and think we could win a cup this year.

Would just suck to spend to the limit. But with so many young players at such a cheap rate right now, one can only imagine how plagued by the cap you'll be in a few years right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Based on the OP opinion of Bouillon, he doesn't understand hockey.
Bouillon is a great guy and he can be very good. One night he'll look like a #2-4 d man, another night he'll look like a #7 or even #8 d-man though. He isn't consistent and he's been sort of on the decline lately. Maybe it's the new NHL?

This season he was much better than last season though, but the season before last I remember bouillon was actually REALLY good. I remember Bouillon used to save games! I remember one season Bouillon must've swept at so many pucks on the line or in the crease that would've for sure gone in.

Even when he first came up, I'm pretty sure we all thought he'd be a solid #4.

Anyways, leave it to idiots like you to make fans of other fanbases who are actually civil and smart about hockey feel unwelcome. Thanks for conforming to the habs fan stereotype we all know about on these forums, us intelligent habs fans really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Sign Koivu at 2 years /8 millions
Sign Higgins at 5 years/ 16 millions
Sign Plekanek at 5 years 20 millions
Sign Tanguay at 4 years/ 20 millions
Sign Komisarek at 5 years/ 22 millions
Sign Kovalev at 2 years/ 10 millions
Bouillon...
Dandenault....
Kostopoulos...
Begin...
Our numbers were pretty similar, give our take X amount of years and 250,000$ here and there.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-11-2008 at 10:23 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
  #22
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
Well I guess 90% of the board doesn't understand hockey then.

Don't get me wrong, he's a tank, but he isn't good enough to stop say Valentenko from getting on the team...
We don't know how Valentenko will do at the NHL level yet...let's not get too carried away by all those young players. Bouillon is a good player to have on a bottom pairing, like it or not!

Where I could see a problem retaining him will be because of his salary. He'll be a UFA, and from what we've seen around the league, UFAs now makes more money than ever. Gainey will like him back for sure, but I don't think he'll be ready to pay the price for the impact he would have on the team. Add to that the fact that he will likely not even talk to Bouillon before July 1st because he will have many more important cases...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 10:33 AM
  #23
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
On the top end, Kovalev and Tanguay are the question marks. Will depend on this season and what they're looking for but if Kovalev puts in 80 points it would be hard to say no even if he wants 3 years (even if Gainey would prefer 1 or 2).

For the 4th liners I see Begin and Kostopolos back, they're both very effective players, veterens, play with energy, hit hard, fight, and at 1.25 million aren't exactly breaking the bank. I don't see how replacing them with a rookie is going to upgrade (over the next 2-3 years) the 4th line of a team in cup competition. Stewart will be around as an odd game sub, injury replacement, he'll get his shot and if he's good enough he might steal someone's spot, but that's up to him to seize it, won't be given up for no reason.

On D, I think Bouillon will be resigned and one rookie from the AHL will be brought in. Between those two will be competition for spots 6 and 7. Between Injuries and as wellthe possibility of Gorges/O'Byrne getting time in the doghouse, #7 spot on depth chart will get plenty of playtime.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:41 AM
  #24
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Looking at all the key forward vets expiring contracts individually:

Koivu: You keep the captain, it is as simple as that. Most likely won't be looking for big raise and is still under 35 (unlike Kovalev), so long term contract (a Hab for life!) can be used to bring the cap hit down. Personally I would hope for 6-5-3-2 (4 years at 4,0 million) or 6-4-2-2 at best case (4 years at 3,5 million). That should be great cap hit for 2nd line of center of Koivu's caliber during for first one or two seasons and manageable cap hit for 3rd line center for last two seasons (unless Koivu retires by then, when there will be no cap hit). The contract will be signed well before off-season (unless Gainy and Koivu agrees to see other contracts first in order to make most out of cap space).

.
With all respect due to Koivu, he already looks like a 40 years old vet, we can speculate as long as we want on the reasons but signing him more than 1 year would be a mistake..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
  #25
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
With all respect due to Koivu, he already looks like a 40 years old vet, we can speculate as long as we want on the reasons but signing him more than 1 year would be a mistake..
Did you watched him or what? He don't look like a 40 years old vet at all!!! Come one!!! Sure he's not at the top of his game, but he's not done either. If anything, I think he needs to understand the situation he's in, and change his way of playing the game. It's obvious that he's not a #1 anymore, but he still can play good hockey. He needs to put less pressure on his shoulders because for once, their other players to take more heat on the ice...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.