HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

'08/'09 Season similar to '05/'06

Old
09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
rangerjoe

vCash: 500
'08/'09 Season similar to '05/'06

Thinking about the upcoming season, I can't help but to think about all of the new faces we'll see on this team. I had the same feeling going into the '05/'06 season, and even more so since we were coming out of a lost season and gaining some new kids in '04 late season trades. The '05/'06 is still my favorite of the three since that lost season, but this season we're going to see about the same amount of new players. In fact, the only players who are still with the Rangers since that '05/'06 season are Hank, Prucha, Rozsival, Betts, and Orr (who we didn't start with us that season).

Think we'll have as successful of a season as that one? Hope so...

Here was our '05/'06 roster for that season:

Jaromir Jagr
Michael Nylander
Martin Straka
Martin Rucinsky
Petr Prucha
Steve Rucchin
Petr Sykora (traded from Anaheim midseason)
Michal Rozsival
Jason Ward
Fedor Tyutin
Tom Poti
Dominic Moore
Marek Malik
Ville Nieminen (traded to San Jose midseason)
Marcel Hossa
Sandis Ozolinsh (traded from Anaheim midseason)
Blair Betts
Jed Ortmeyer
Jason Strudwick
Darius Kasparaitis
Ryan Hollweg
Maxim Kondratiev
Jarkko Immonen
Thomas Pock
Henrik Lundqvist
Jamie Lundmark (traded to Phoenix midseason)
Chad Wiseman
Colton Orr (traded from Boston midseason)
Kevin Weekes
Alexandre Giroux
Bryce Lampman
Dave Liffiton
Chris Holt
Jeff Taffe (traded from Phoenix midseason)
Fedor Fedorov

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
I always thought Sykora was a good fit on this team, would have liked to see him stay.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't see it.

This team is much more talented and there is a better core. And they should still make the playoffs.

09-11-2008, 01:07 PM
rangerjoe

I think we have better all-around talent now than we had in '05/'06...and I think if we click like we did that season, we'll definitely make the playoffs and go deep.

RangerJoe

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I can see some similarities between the two, with all the new faces and a new form of anticipation - but theres a big difference between how that team was being perceived (30th in the NHL) and this one (Challenging for the East) going into the year.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:18 PM
ThirdEye

The 05/06 team was very fun to watch, but it was only good on a sort of superficial level. The team got exposed in the playoffs because it didn't have much real depth, especially on defense

I agree the team right now should be better overall

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This team is infinitely more talented than the 05-06 team, especially on the blueline.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't see it.

This team is much more talented and there is a better core. And they should still make the playoffs.
SBOB, you hit the nail on the head.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

'05-'06 without Jagr = not a team IMO.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I think the only thing keeping this team from being a true Cup contender is another legit top 6 scoring threat.

Now, if the team can stay in the playoff picture into the trade deadline, perhaps they can acquire that top 6 talent and move forward from there.

However, i would NOT give up Cherepanov, Anisimov, Sanguinetti, or Del Zotto, or Grachev to do so... unless of course we are talking about Kovalchuk.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
'05-'06 without Jagr = not a team IMO.
And this year's team?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
And this year's team?
We have other guys to lead both on the ice and off.

Jagr and Lundqvist WERE the team in 05-06.

This year, despite not having Jagr, we have the likes of Zherdev, Gomez, Drury, and Naslund up front.

And our defense is far better then the 05-06 squad. If Redden returns to form, this defense corp could be scary.

I really think there is one missing piece to the puzzle for THIS YEAR (another top 6 forward). However, we have the pieces for the future long haul. They just need to develop and earn their place.

Old
09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
We have other guys to lead both on the ice and off.

Jagr and Lundqvist WERE the team in 05-06.

This year, despite not having Jagr, we have the likes of Zherdev, Gomez, Drury, and Naslund up front.

And our defense is far better then the 05-06 squad. If Redden returns to form, this defense corp could be scary.

I really think there is one missing piece to the puzzle for THIS YEAR (another top 6 forward). However, we have the pieces for the future long haul. They just need to develop and earn their place.
But that's my point. Nobody will be surprised if Drury and Gomez and Lundqvist have good years. That's why the two teams aren't comparable.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Fletch

tough to compare the teams in two totally different time periods. I do have confidence saying that none of these Rangers will top 123 points this season (I feel good saying 80's a stretch). Actually, I think nobody this season reaches what that season's third best scorer tallied, which was 76 points. I do, however, believe that the distance between first and second and third and fourth and third and fifth will be a lot narrower which hopefully means better balance and not just lack of scoring.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
But that's my point. Nobody will be surprised if Drury and Gomez and Lundqvist have good years. That's why the two teams aren't comparable.
I'm agreeing with you.

Old
09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
mhurley

I understand that sense of anticipation. This years team is much better in all aspects of the game then 2005. What made 2005 fun was seeing the kids have fun and play with heart and desire after seeing 7 years of paycheckcashers.

We have more kids who are home grown. We have players who want to be Rangers. We have players who are genuinely glad to be in New York. They are proud to be Rangers.

I got no problem with that.

Let's Go Rangers!

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
NYReign

The big differences are the bottom 6 and the defense which we have certainly improved. I think it's a mistake to focus on the low expectations for that team though because those expectations were based on Weekes in net. If the people who picked us to suck knew we had a Vezina nominee in net instead of a journeyman, I think we would have been picked to make the playoffs from the start.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The 2006 team had NOOOOOOOO expectations and overachieved until the last weeks of the season. This year's team (with a consistent Lundqvist and playing .500 against the west) can win 50 games.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers top two lines may be too small and not aggressive enough. We'll wait and see. Losing Jagr might just mean more than some people think. His numbers may have been down but he was the guy that was out on the ice to face the likes of Chara, Komisarek, Colin White, Witt, Phillips etc. Now it's going to be somebody else's turn--those d-men aren't going to go away and they're not necessarily going to be less effective either--some of them just might be more effective beating up on smaller guys. I'm not sure this is going to be a playoff team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:01 PM
LyNX27

I've always wondered why the Rangers look to make teams out of groups of players who are looking to make comebacks. We look like were trying to hit gold on a player who is trying to make his last stand on his career.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:24 AM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Rangers top two lines may be too small and not aggressive enough. We'll wait and see. Losing Jagr might just mean more than some people think. His numbers may have been down but he was the guy that was out on the ice to face the likes of Chara, Komisarek, Colin White, Witt, Phillips etc. Now it's going to be somebody else's turn--those d-men aren't going to go away and they're not necessarily going to be less effective either--some of them just might be more effective beating up on smaller guys. I'm not sure this is going to be a playoff team.
That's all true, but at the same time Jagr would get beat up and instead of the refs giving us a PP, it would end with Jagr getting the penatly. Perhaps with a smaller faster team (as Jagr did slow down) we'l see more penalties against and also a better PP...

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 11:58 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRantLftyC19 View Post
That's all true, but at the same time Jagr would get beat up and instead of the refs giving us a PP, it would end with Jagr getting the penatly. Perhaps with a smaller faster team (as Jagr did slow down) we'l see more penalties against and also a better PP...
Hate to say it but I don't have a hell of a lot of faith in the league's officiating. From game to game you don't know what to expect from the refs and linesmen-- that is unless you're expecting them to be inconsistent.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote