HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2008-2009 Euro/NCAA/CHL/USHL Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Habs View Post
For the Hamilton Bulldogs games try this site when a game is on:

http://www.sportsjuice.com/broadcast...b3rnUe9pNA%3d#
That's only the radio broadcasts unless they changed it this year.

Old
09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
1970 Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
That's only the radio broadcasts unless they changed it this year.
Yes you are correct.

I generally listen to the games while I am on the computer.

Old
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
God damn it, it seems that Trunev is staying in Europe.

That means he'll be there for at least 2 more seasons then (contract).
My worry with Trunev staying in Russia this year was that he wouldn't play enough games in the KHL and that would have slowed down his progress. If he does play regularly, this is much better for his development as a player than to play in the CHL for the next 2 years.

Old
09-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
My worry with Trunev staying in Russia this year was that he wouldn't play enough games in the KHL and that would have slowed down his progress. If he does play regularly, this is much better for his development as a player than to play in the CHL for the next 2 years.
I agree that if he playes regularly in the KHL it may be better for his development but i doubt he gets regular duty, and will most definately will not get top line/#1 PP time.

so I would prefer him to come to the CHL like S kost did. It worked out great for him. It is better in my opinion for european forwards that need to develop to come and play in the CHL as they learn the North american game(including language and culture) sooner and can develop with our team all along at summer camps etc.

Unless Trunev gets top minutes i disagree with him staying there. Emelin and Korneev would have already made an impression if they would have come over years ago. I say they have slowed their progression by staying. They get bumped all around from one level to another and never really get to dominate at their own level at a young age. But who really knows but them. I hope Trunev isn't being pressured or tricked into staying, like emelin was.

Old
09-09-2008, 09:55 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
God damn it, it seems that Trunev is staying in Europe.

That means he'll be there for at least 2 more seasons then (contract).
Yea it appears he is staying in Russia, but even if he came over he'd be back next trying to make the KHL. The hope is that he doesn't sign a contract after that, but we'll see cause he would likely get a lot more money in Russia then he would get from us to play in the AHL.

Just an update on the KHL webcasts, I have found the broadcast schedule, they post it for the week. The only game they are showing with any Hab prospects, are Emelin on Thrusday and Korneev as well. No Severstal again this week from the looks of it.

Fortier opens his season on Friday night vs Noranda. He had 2 goals in preseason action.

Old
09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea it appears he is staying in Russia, but even if he came over he'd be back next trying to make the KHL. The hope is that he doesn't sign a contract after that, but we'll see cause he would likely get a lot more money in Russia then he would get from us to play in the AHL.

Just an update on the KHL webcasts, I have found the broadcast schedule, they post it for the week. The only game they are showing with any Hab prospects, are Emelin on Thrusday and Korneev as well. No Severstal again this week from the looks of it.

Fortier opens his season on Friday night vs Noranda. He had 2 goals in preseason action.
Which means that to attract our Russians, we will have to promise them a spot in the NHL? Unless the kid speaks english, and has a feel of the North American game, I don't see a jump from the KHL to the NHL.....unless he's extraordinairy....Kulemin style...

As far as Fortier is concerned, it's 3 goals (3 points) in 4 preseason games.

Old
09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Which means that to attract our Russians, we will have to promise them a spot in the NHL? Unless the kid speaks english, and has a feel of the North American game, I don't see a jump from the KHL to the NHL.....unless he's extraordinairy....Kulemin style...

As far as Fortier is concerned, it's 3 goals (3 points) in 4 preseason games.
I guess we'll see what happens with Trunev, I can't see him getting a spot in the NHL with us at 20 years old but then again I've onlyl seen one clip of him in action but it would just seem unlikely that what should be one of the top teams in the east (hopefully) we can't just give out roster spots. So it will be interesting to see what happens to him. I don't really care when a player comes over, just as long as he comes over. It's the same with Emelin and even Korneev, I hope they come over and I have my doubts that we'll ever see them but if they come over then it's all good.

Fortier, I must have missed a game cause I know he didn't play in the first game. Still 3 goals in 4 games is nice to see even if it's just the preseason.

Old
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Bullsmith

What's the latest on Torp? Have his injuries slowed him down? Is he like Maxwell hoping to put it behind him and have a step-up year? Also anyone got a sense of what kind of year Paquet might be expected to have?

Old
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
What's the latest on Torp? Have his injuries slowed him down? Is he like Maxwell hoping to put it behind him and have a step-up year? Also anyone got a sense of what kind of year Paquet might be expected to have?
Torp I've been told should be the 8th D for HV71, the team that won a league championship last year, so if he sticks with the team, he'll get to play in the Champions Cup against Perezhogin's team. But I've heard that HV71 has the best D core in the SEL so while the coach is said to give young players ice time, it's going to be hard for him to see much ice time according to some HV71 fans. So he could see some time in the Allveksan (not spelled right but it's like our AHL) or he could see time with the J20 team. He also appears to be all but a lock for Team Sweden at the WJC's.

Paquet should have a big year, Clarkson is once again looked at as one of the top teams in the ECAC and it's his last year in the NCAA so he should dominate as he's playing for a contract next summer.

Old
09-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Torp I've been told should be the 8th D for HV71, the team that won a league championship last year, so if he sticks with the team, he'll get to play in the Champions Cup against Perezhogin's team. But I've heard that HV71 has the best D core in the SEL so while the coach is said to give young players ice time, it's going to be hard for him to see much ice time according to some HV71 fans. So he could see some time in the Allveksan (not spelled right but it's like our AHL) or he could see time with the J20 team. He also appears to be all but a lock for Team Sweden at the WJC's.

Paquet should have a big year, Clarkson is once again looked at as one of the top teams in the ECAC and it's his last year in the NCAA so he should dominate as he's playing for a contract next summer.
Thanks much. I know out D is crowded but I have a soft spot for Paquet. Hope he makes the A next year.

Old
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
KBstyle

Trunev seems to have 1 pass in 2 games.

Old
09-10-2008, 05:52 PM
1970 Habs

Quote:
Thanks much. I know out D is crowded but I have a soft spot for Paquet. Hope he makes the A next year.
In his sophomore year (2006-07) he had a strong playoffs after a solid year. Though he did receive four, five-minute majors, all for hitting from behind. Here is what Clarkson George Roll had to say prior to the 2007-08 season:

"Phil is coming off a solid sophomore campaign and has the ability to be an outstanding defenseman in the NCAA. He has size, mobility and he is strong, but he needs to play with more consistency. Once he puts it all together, he will be a dominant Division I defenseman. We expect that to happen in his junior campaign."

It is too bad that last year (his junior season) an injury at the start of the season resulted in him missing 12 of the first 15 games. However he was still an intimidating presence on the blueline when he did return to play and had a solid season.

He definitely needs a strong year if he is going to get signed.

Old
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Toro

Quote:
Why is a kid like this going to try to develop like this? Why don't he come to the CHL and play top minutes for a junior team, get acclimatized to N.A. learn the language and go home for the summer and come back to do habs prospect and rookie camps etc.
Like Sergei Kostitsyn, Halak,etc.

I mean i'm sure he will progress some naturally and practicing and getting low minutes and games with a great Swedish team. Wouldn't he get to the NHL faster and better over here if he is a good prospect? Is the same happening to Emelin, trunev? Korneev has established himself on his team but im not sure about emelin isn't he still trying to get into the top 4 on his team over there?

Hey i may be wrong but it looks like to me that some of these guys could benefit from coming over here to develop..

Old
09-10-2008, 08:10 PM
1970 Habs

Torp was not drafted in the CHL Import draft so where would he play?

Old
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Habs View Post
Torp was not drafted in the CHL Import draft so where would he play?
well that is important. LOL

could his agent of made it known that he was willing to come over maybe he would have gotten picked?

Old
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I like him as well but he will need to get back on track as injuries cost him last year, he was on the top pairing in his sophmore year but when he came back from injury last year he was dropped to the 2nd pairing at times. Hope he can have a big year, get signed over the summer and make the Dogs next year. Weber, Carle and Paquet sounds like a decent group of RD's in Hamilton in '09-'10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBstyle View Post
Trunev seems to have 1 pass in 2 games.
He does. I have all the Russian stats up on my site in the mini fourm I have. He's getting around under 9 minutes a game on average. Emelin is getting just about the least amount of ice time among the defensemen on AK Bars, I hope this pisses him off and he doesn't re-sign with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Why is a kid like this going to try to develop like this? Why don't he come to the CHL and play top minutes for a junior team, get acclimatized to N.A. learn the language and go home for the summer and come back to do habs prospect and rookie camps etc.
Like Sergei Kostitsyn, Halak,etc.

I mean i'm sure he will progress some naturally and practicing and getting low minutes and games with a great Swedish team. Wouldn't he get to the NHL faster and better over here if he is a good prospect? Is the same happening to Emelin, trunev? Korneev has established himself on his team but im not sure about emelin isn't he still trying to get into the top 4 on his team over there..
I know the Habs wanted him to go the CHL route after he was drafted but he must have told CHL teams he wouldn't come over since he didn't get drafted. Who knows what would have happened had he not missed the entire year last season, but we'll just have to see how things go for him this year. Also I think he speaks English just fine but not 100% on that.

Imo you have to look at it on a case by case basis. Is Emelin hurting himself by staying in Russia the past few years, will it hurt Trunev if that's what he does? Hard to say. It didn't seem to work for A.Kostitsyn by staying in Russia for a year before coming over but it seems to have worked for Valentenko perhaps as he did struggle at the start of the season but after that he was really impressive so perhaps it helped it by spending a year in the RSL.

Me, I like to see our guys come over here as I think it gives us a better chance of keeping them around. That said just because they go the CHL route doesn't mean it will work out. Look at Tomas Linhart, Alex Buturlin, Juraj Mikus etc...

Old
09-11-2008, 08:02 AM
KBstyle

Quote:
He does. I have all the Russian stats up on my site in the mini fourm I have. He's getting around under 9 minutes a game on average. Emelin is getting just about the least amount of ice time among the defensemen on AK Bars, I hope this pisses him off and he doesn't re-sign with them.
Where?

Old
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Mue

Quote:
Weber, Carle and Paquet sounds like a decent group of RD's in Hamilton in '09-'10.
Subban as well if I'm not mistaken.

Old
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBstyle View Post
Where?
habprospects.com in the forum section under Hab prospects, in the RSL season thread. Here's the stats but doesn't include todays game

Stats so far
Emelin- 2-0-1-1 Even 4 pims 18:43 aver ice time
Trunev- 1-0-1-1 +1 0 pims 8:55 aver ice time
Korneev- 2-0-0-0 Even 6 pims 19:45 aver ice time
Perezhogin- 2-1-0-1 Even 2 pims 13:39 aver ice time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Subban as well if I'm not mistaken.
Yikes I forgot him, then Paquet is in trouble cause he's not likely going to steal a spot from Weber, Carle or Subban. They could try him on the left, which could be in need of bodies if Henry isn't back, and Valentenko moves up full time after this season. Not sure if he could play on the left, plus who knows if McDonagh will be ready to make the jump to Hamilton after this year.

Still though, got to like the looks of Weber, Subban and Carle in Hamilton as our RD's, that's some offensive production!

Old
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

If you want to see Emelin live. #74 Green.

http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/...andinamomoskva

1-0 Moscow already. Emelin was just used briefly on a PP and now was used in the first moments defending a 5 on 3. Did well.

2-0 Moscow. Emelin on the ice. Got shifted by #10 in front of the net but gave him a neat hip check to stop the attack and made the guy fly a little. But then the puck got to the other side of an empty net and they scored.

For the oldies like me, it's cool to see Oleg Petrov again, #14 for Kazan.

2-1 in the 2nd PP goal for Kazan. Morozov would look good in a Habs uniform....

3-2 in mid-3rd. Didn't have time to watch the whole game, but just witness a great shift by Emelin. 1 on 1, the guy again try to shift him, Emelin bodychecked him to the ground. Then a little later another 1 on 1 close to the net, Emelin positioned well his stick deflecting the puck. Showed great balance on that shift.

I don't know if he always play like that, but seems to me that Emelin is not paired with the greatest d-man out there. Panin played a terrible game from what I've seen. And if it's always like that, well it's understandable to see Emelin not going hard on the offensive side of the game. He has to compensate for his teamates mistake. But again, I don't watch tons of KHL games so far so it might only be a bad day for Panin.

If I'm not mistaken, not going well for Trunev and his team. 4-0 for the opponent in the 3rd.

And Moscow wins this one 4-3 in OT. Nice wrister by Rylov.

Emelin played once or twice in OT. Kazan had a PP in OT and Emelin saw some PP time for the last 13 seconds of it.....Moscow had tied the game with 1 minute left in the 3rd.

Nice game from what I saw from Emelin. Not extraordinairy 'cause there are still some positional mistakes he makes and the fact that he's not always dynamic. Still, there were some nice things throughout the game that was nice to see. Didn't see the whole game though but didn't see any offensive effort from him, mostly defensive from the time I saw him.

Nikulin seems a fine d-man though while Kosmachev makes me think of Traverse....and not only because of his number (#54).

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-11-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old
09-11-2008, 02:08 PM
1970 Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
well that is important. LOL

could his agent of made it known that he was willing to come over maybe he would have gotten picked?
Not sure of the circumstances. With a maximum limit of 3 import players per CHL team I am not sure it would have made a difference especially considering Torp was drafted in the 6th round.

When you also factor in that he had a major injury that subsequently resulted in him losing a season last year most teams would probably have shied away from drafting him anyways if there were any open slots.

He will have to stick it out in Sweden and given that he will probably drop to a lower league may not help his cause next summer. Given the depth of defensive prospects in the Habs system and that there is a limit of the number of players Montreal can have under contract I do not foresee him as being a high priority to be signed next year. However I could be wrong.

Old
09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
HopefulCoach

hey guys, I just have a quick question for you. Do any of you know where P.K Subban should be right now?

I ask because Laraque is here in Edmonton at the University of Alberta doing some scrimmages and basic drills everyday with other random NHL'ers/prospects/Golden Bear players. There is one defenseman though who is also black and is a very fluid skater and great puch mover, and the only person I could think of that fit that profile was Subban. So I am basically wondering if there is any possibility that it is actually Subban or not.

Thanks!

Old
09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXShagXx View Post
hey guys, I just have a quick question for you. Do any of you know where P.K Subban should be right now?

I ask because Laraque is here in Edmonton at the University of Alberta doing some scrimmages and basic drills everyday with other random NHL'ers/prospects/Golden Bear players. There is one defenseman though who is also black and is a very fluid skater and great puch mover, and the only person I could think of that fit that profile was Subban. So I am basically wondering if there is any possibility that it is actually Subban or not.

Thanks!
Does he look like this?

PK should be at rookie camp Monday, till then, no idea.

Old
09-11-2008, 06:12 PM
HopefulCoach

well its hard to tell because he is wearing equipment and I havent really gone right up to the glass to look, just kind of sat in the upper deck and watched.

He is wearing a green helmet if that means anything haha

Old
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXShagXx View Post
He is wearing a green helmet if that means anything haha
Must be Shawn Belle, another (rather new) prospect of ours; since he played for Minnesota's farm team last season (which has green helmets).

Closed Thread