HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres taking shape

Old
09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Sabres taking shape

Sounds like an optional Bills minicamp at the Pepsi Center. The article says there were 30 players, prospects, and hopefuls.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/435572.html

Quote:
The number of Sabres regulars in attendance Tuesday, a full 10 days before camp, was impressive. Ryan Miller tended one goal. Forwards flying up and down the ice included Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Paul Gaustad, Jochen Hecht, Kaleta, Mair, Andrew Peters, Pominville, Derek Roy and Drew Stafford. Jaroslav Spacek, Toni Lydman, Teppo Numminen, Craig Rivet, Nathan Paetsch and Mike Weber helped patrol the blue lines. Youngsters such as Tim Kennedy, Michael Funk and Marek Zagrapan also played in the shinny.
Andrew Peters flying up and down the ice?

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
ohheyimmark

vCash: 500
Quote:
“You have to keep yourself in shape,” Sabres captain Jason Pominville said.
I'm sure that doesn't mean what we'd like it to mean....or maybe it does.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Quote:
The captain remained hopeful he will have a new contract before the official start of camp. His agent and the Sabres have been talking long-term extensions.
Maybe?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Devo-2

More from Vogl on the Sabres Edge blog:

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabre....html#comments

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
CaptPantalones

spent the morning watching them practice, couple observations:

Patrick Lalime will be a god send for Ryan Miller. Lalime looked sharp and definitely can handle the 20 or so games they give him w/o collapsing. Miller was very solid too.

Pominville looked to be in great shape, as did Vanek, Paetsch and Stafford to name a few.

Craig Rivet will be a fan favorite here. He was very solid clearing the front of the net, and has some surprising speed. He and Miller talked for a while after practice, to each other and the crowd.

Tim Connolly did not die, and Andrew Peters put weight back on. Peters was actually going to let me run the time clock on the rink until they came up with a different idea. Got to stand on the bench with Paille and a couple others for a bit so that was cool.

Teppo Numminen looked to be in FANTASTIC shape. Guy was skating all over the place and moving the puck well.

couple of the prospects joined them as well, Mike Card, Mike Funk, Tim Kennedy, Dylan Hunter and Marek Zagrapan (who looked ripped in the biceps and chest when he left the arena) Geoff Peters and an unknown player in Ottawa Senator pants joined them for workouts. I believe it may have been Nick Foligno.

On the ice today:

Miller, Lalime, Spacek, Lydman, Paetsch, Card, Weber, Funk, Rivet, Numminen, Vanek, Stafford, Paille, Pominville, Mair, Kaleta, Max, Connolly, Hunter, Kennedy, Zagrapan, Peters, Geoff Peters, Foligno(?)

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903

HOCKEY SEASON IS ALMOST HERE

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post

Patrick Lalime will be a god send for Ryan Miller. Lalime looked sharp and definitely can handle the 20 or so games they give him w/o collapsing. Miller was very solid too.

Pominville looked to be in great shape, as did Vanek, Paetsch and Stafford to name a few.

Craig Rivet will be a fan favorite here. He was very solid clearing the front of the net, and has some surprising speed. He and Miller talked for a while after practice, to each other and the crowd.

Tim Connolly did not die, and Andrew Peters put weight back on. Peters was actually going to let me run the time clock on the rink until they came up with a different idea. Got to stand on the bench with Paille and a couple others for a bit so that was cool.

Teppo Numminen looked to be in FANTASTIC shape. Guy was skating all over the place and moving the puck well.

couple of the prospects joined them as well, Mike Card, Mike Funk, Tim Kennedy, Dylan Hunter and Marek Zagrapan (who looked ripped in the biceps and chest when he left the arena) Geoff Peters and an unknown player in Ottawa Senator pants joined them for workouts. I believe it may have been Nick Foligno.

On the ice today:

Miller, Lalime, Spacek, Lydman, Paetsch, Card, Weber, Funk, Rivet, Numminen, Vanek, Stafford, Paille, Pominville, Mair, Kaleta, Max, Connolly, Hunter, Kennedy, Zagrapan, Peters, Geoff Peters, Foligno(?)

I'm extremely glad after reading that post it seems everything went really well and it sounded like you had a pretty exciting time there to CP.

I can't wait for the season to finally get under way

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

On the ice today:

Cool. Any word on the timetable for the workouts? This is basically taking the place of "scrimmage week" from year's past.

Oh, and if that was Nick -- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc.../players/4008/

09-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:

On the ice today:

one month from today is home opener!

:exciteddance:

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Devo-2

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Good to here Vanek was there. The last couple reports (TBN and "Garth") didn't mention him participating ... got me a little nervous.

Sounds like a great experience.

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Speak for yourself. I love Pommer, but i'm not a backer for him as our full-time captain. I want to see a long term deal and continued development as a leader before i consider supporting that notion. I prefer grooming Roy for the captain role as we look to the long term. In my view, Pominville is suited well as an assistant.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
Speak for yourself. I love Pommer, but i'm not a backer for him as our full-time captain. I want to see a long term deal and continued development as a leader before i consider supporting that notion. I prefer grooming Roy for the captain role as we look to the long term. In my view, Pominville is suited well as an assistant.
I can't even come close to putting my finger on what it is that lets you believe Roy is a better candidate than Poms. Personal preference aside, what has Roy shown that Pominville hasn't?

Old
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I can't even come close to putting my finger on what it is that lets you believe Roy is a better candidate than Poms. Personal preference aside, what has Roy shown that Pominville hasn't?
he's just bitter that pominville joined team america, world police.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Let's start with the fact that Roy's resume already includes a captaincy which translated into a CHL title and MVP honors as a junior.

Some folks don't mind the quiet type to lead, myself though, I prefer the fiery type. Roy still has some growing up to do, but some of his intangibles are that of a pure leader. He's got a competitive edge that can't be taught.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Thanks Captain for the first-hand report.

As for the other captain(s), I'll be happy if they officially name a sole captain, regardless of who it is.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
Let's start with the fact that Roy's resume already includes a captaincy which translated into a CHL title and MVP honors as a junior.

Some folks don't mind the quiet type to lead, myself though, I prefer the fiery type. Roy still has some growing up to do, but some of his intangibles are that of a pure leader. He's got a competitive edge that can't be taught.
Fair enough.

For debate purposes, I bring up Roy's immaturity and constant whining as reasons why he is not as suited to be captain as Poms, but to each his own. Roy, as you mentioned, captained a high level team already in his past.

Old
09-10-2008, 07:01 PM
ColonelForbin

I like Roy for captain as well, but I wouldn't be at all upset if it was Pominville either.

Roy does seem like a more vocal leader, just from short clips i've seen where they have a mic on the bench and what his personality appears to be, from what you can tell on TV.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Thanks Captain for the first-hand report.

As for the other captain(s), I'll be happy if they officially name a sole captain, regardless of who it is.
Max Afinogenov?

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Cool. Any word on the timetable for the workouts? This is basically taking the place of "scrimmage week" from year's past.

Oh, and if that was Nick -- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc.../players/4008/
they got 2 more scheduled, one for tomorrow and one friday.

after that, I cant really tell ya since I know the kids report Sunday and the vets I would assume report Thursday if Saturday is the first practice.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Fair enough.

For debate purposes, I bring up Roy's immaturity and constant whining as reasons why he is not as suited to be captain as Poms, but to each his own. Roy, as you mentioned, captained a high level team already in his past.
ive always thought that Goose's new contract put him in line to assume the Captaincy.

It's too bad that Rivet is the "outsider". With the majority of this team having been together for SOOOO long, i guess it wouldn't make sense to name the new guy Captain.

I'm betting that Numminen is Captain this year, and Goose assumes the duties next year.

Roy as Captain makes little sense to me. He is the focal point of the offense. The #1 center. The every situation guy. He has PLENTY on his plate, he doesn't need the Captaincy.

Pominville is a similar case, although I think he has more captain qualities than Roy. Poms is calm, cool, and collected.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
More from Vogl on the Sabres Edge blog:

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabre....html#comments
It's nice to see that the Sabres are no longer taking out their issues with Bucky on Vogl and the other reporters. Larry Quinn even gave Vogl an interview.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:12 AM
hottytoddy

Pick a captain and stay with it. Pominville is an adequate choice, so we're good. I think Teppo would have been a fine choice too, he's calm and cool on the ice.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Vito_81

It should be Teppo with the C. Less pressure on Roy, Pominville or Gaustad for this year and gives them another year in the league to become more capable of leading a team.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote