HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Jamtin: The Swedish "Avery"

Old
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Andreas Jamtin: The Swedish "Avery"

What do we know of this mans game? Does he have a shot at making the big team?

09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I'd say that his chances are slim. I know very little about him, but I believe he brings more to the table than Hollweg ever would. I have confidence that the 4th line winger spots will go to Callahan and Voros.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
NYReign

If he is on a two-way deal, I think he'd have to really impress in camp to beat out all the depth we'd have to waive. Despite not seeing him ever I have high hopes for him and I believe we'll see him in New York at some point this season and he'll have a firm spot by next year.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 12:59 AM
NYR Viper

i would say if there is a trade to remove some depth he would be ideal for the 4th line.....other than that i dont really see him making the nhl team this season....maybe as a call-up

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I have no idea what Slats and Renney plan to do with our bounty of third and fourth liners, so at this point I'd say his chances of making the team are as good as anyone's.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
hlundqvist30*

Unless he turns heads in training camp he'll be starting the year in Hartford. I remember when the signing was announced awhile ago Chimp or Ola had said that he would be very stable in emergency call-up situations.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Why does this guy have to be "the next Avery?"

Some Ranger fans are acting like a spurned girlfriend in regards to the Avery situation. Its really unbelievable.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why does this guy have to be "the next Avery?"

Some Ranger fans are acting like a spurned girlfriend in regards to the Avery situation. Its really unbelievable.
Jämtin was called the Swedish Avery long before he signed here -- and in the SEL he was defenitly very simular to Sean Avery in every aspect.

Though like I've said in other thread, the question isn't if Jämtin is good enough to hold his own in the NHL -- he is -- the big question is if he can annoy guys like he did in the SEL, in the NHL.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Ola

I don't know where all other swedes are, I've been waiting on someone else to translate it, but there is a article about Jämtin in Aftonbladet today.

Jämtin said that its basically a given that he will start in the AHL, and said that he is perfectly fine with that.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle3300513.ab

Quote:
Can you replace Sean Avery? We will see. First of all I want to play well enough icehockey so that I win a spot.
Quote:
Can you trashtalk as well in English as you do in Swedish? Hehe, I don't know, the future will tell.
Quote:
"Do you think you will make the team? Its not as easy to win a spot on this team, there are some very good players here. I have to work really hard to win a spot, but I am prepaired to do that. I am working extremely hard on getting a spot out of camp, but you can pretty much count on starting in the AHL. But if that happends I know I can handle it to, I just have to show what I am made of.

Old
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I think anyone who is expecting him to be as good or effective as Avery is setting themselves up for dissapointment.

I would just hope that he makes the team before anything else.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I think anyone who is expecting him to be as good or effective as Avery is setting themselves up for dissapointment.

I would just hope that he makes the team before anything else.
Exactly. Ville Nieminen or Robert Petrovicky would be more realistic comparisons at this stage. If he had nearly as much talent as Avery, do you honestly think the Red Wings would let him go so easily?

Last edited by Jxmarts: 09-12-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:49 PM
hdw

Quote:
You have to understand that his epithet "Swedish Avery" (actually shared with Per Ledin who in the same situation in Colorado right now) is only based on his (or theirs) ability to talk trash, enrage opponents and create head lines.

There's also a shared ability to add "energy" to a team.

But there's nothing in the "Avery" talk that has anything to do with his actual skills as a hockey player.

Look back on the last year, how many US or Canadian hockey writers had a clue or cared about Avery's ability as a hockey player?

Now expect Swedish hockey writers to have 10% of the understanding of what NHL players actually do on the ice.

Sean Avery was the "pest" of the NHL.
Andreas Jämtin was the "pest" of the SEL.

Ergo, Jämtin is the Swedish Avery.

That all that is behind the statement.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 12:28 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Take Voros and Rissmiller out of the lineup and off the payroll and I'm very excited about the lineup. Now it's just this horrible fustercluck of line madness.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Shanahan-Dubinsky-Fritsche
Korpikoski-Betts-Callahan
Orr/Sjostrom

Shanahan would be signed right away without those two (I'm ok with him on the 3rd or 4th line with just limited PP play, NO PK) on the payroll and our lineup starts to make more sense. We'd have more flexibility with our roster for an Anisimov or Jamtin should he excel. Sather just can't say no to anything taller than 6'4" can he?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Kiefer

I hated him when he played against my team in SEL. If he can get that into the NHL game, my guess he is gonna be well liked.

Apart from the "pest" he can actually play hockey. Maybe not superstar, but at least he can.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
Apart from the "pest" he can actually play hockey. Maybe not superstar, but at least he can.
That remains to be seen.

Can't say that I've ever seen him play any hockey worth mentioning.

Old
09-13-2008, 12:57 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
The interviews make him sound like a classy pest, and the 'class' part is what I didn't like about Avery. If Jämtin can come in, be an agitator & a spark plug, put up twenty points a year, and be a grade A guy off the ice, I'd welcome him to this team for a long time.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mowinckel View Post
The interviews make him sound like a classy pest, and the 'class' part is what I didn't like about Avery. If Jämtin can come in, be an agitator & a spark plug, put up twenty points a year, and be a grade A guy off the ice, I'd welcome him to this team for a long time.
Jämtin is more of a pest during the play then a trashtalker so to speak. But I don't know about classy...

I think what people gets the most annoyed about is the emotions he plays with, or the way he acts; he is extremely immature and complains about everything on the ice, screems and dives and stuff like that -- in combination with always playing pretty physical and throwing in "soft" cheap shots left and rights.

A typical Jämtin situation is that he first commits a bunch of cheapshots, like facewashes, slashes to the back of the leg, elbows behind the play and stuff like that. Like not dangerous stuff but things that annoys the other team. Then Jämtin get smacked with a fair hit -- and he starts complain about it tremendsouly. Skating after reff. Screaming at the player who hit him. And he then he keeps it up against certain players for several games afterwards.

Jämtin isn't a player who will upset another team tremendously in one game -- but in the longrun it gets extremely annoying. Because he aways gives 200%. He always keeps his acts up. It does't matter what time of the season it is, if its late in a game where his team is up 5-0, or if his team is down 5-0, if its a preseason game or the finals.

He just needs to have the guts to follow through on it in the NHL too. Like if we plays Carolina and leads 4-0 with 10 minutes to go, he needs to commit some extremely poor dives, try to run Eric Staal and then complain a ton on the reff and cry at the other team. Stuff like that is what will make him extremely unpopular around the league -- and like we have seen with Avery, if you are unpopular teams will focus on you instead of the stars on your team.

Old
09-13-2008, 03:01 PM
NYR Viper

unfortunatley as much as i like what i hear about him, i feel like the rangers just have too much depth.....i know many will disagree but there is a logjam of lower line forwards and a lot of them, IMO could be playing in the NHL elsewhere.....
jessiman
byers
korpikoski
anisimov
voros
prucha
callahan
sjostrom
rissmiller
jamtin
moore

thats 11 players for a total of 4 spots.......something has to give.......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Exactly. Ville Nieminen or Robert Petrovicky would be more realistic comparisons at this stage. If he had nearly as much talent as Avery, do you honestly think the Red Wings would let him go so easily?
That's what I see at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
You have to understand that his epithet "Swedish Avery" (actually shared with Per Ledin who in the same situation in Colorado right now) is only based on his (or theirs) ability to talk trash, enrage opponents and create head lines.

There's also a shared ability to add "energy" to a team.

But there's nothing in the "Avery" talk that has anything to do with his actual skills as a hockey player.

Look back on the last year, how many US or Canadian hockey writers had a clue or cared about Avery's ability as a hockey player?

Now expect Swedish hockey writers to have 10% of the understanding of what NHL players actually do on the ice.

Sean Avery was the "pest" of the NHL.
Andreas Jämtin was the "pest" of the SEL.

Ergo, Jämtin is the Swedish Avery.

That all that is behind the statement.
Avery is well-regarded as one of the best super-pests in the NHL, and has had some haters quite some time. There are a lot of people who recognize that with all of the trash talk and the antics aside, Sean Avery can actually play hockey and make a difference. I don't know where you get the "who cared/knew about Avery's abilities" bit from, but there were a lot of writers and experts that did, even before he came to the Rangers.

Overall, we're kind of on the same wavelength in that we agree that Jamtin won't be what Avery was for the Rangers, but what I was saying is that anyone who expects him to be that is setting themselves up for a dissapointment. People will see the name "Avery" and automatically get into a frenzy and overhype the guy.

If he pans out and plays well, then I'm all for it, and happy for and happy to have the guy, but I'm not holding my breath for anything.

That's all I'm saying.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
hdw

Quote:
I don't know where you get the "who cared/knew about Avery's abilities" bit from, but there were a lot of writers and experts that did, even before he came to the Rangers.
I got it from main stream media, on both sides of the pond.

Same main stream media media, but limited to the Swedish ones, that created the "Jämtin is the Swedish Avery" stuff.

There are of course good and knowledgeable writers, but they often drown in the avalanche of crappy ones (unless you know where to find 'em ).

The sad truth is that more or less silly antics creates better selling headlines then actual hockey skills :/

Like some certain players calling an opposing goalie "fatso" (or "tjockis" in Swedish) in a media interview (Jämtin did it first btw ).

Old
09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Isn't Avery the North American version of Tikkanen (and Ulf and Kasper)? Europeans tend to be good at this kind of stuff.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:45 AM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Jämtin is more of a pest during the play then a trashtalker so to speak. But I don't know about classy...

--wall of font--
Hmm, sounds interesting. I have a bias for Swedish players, so I've been keeping track of him. Don't really want a whiner on the roster, I'd like to see a guy be a pest with how he plays, not with his mouth.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Ola

Its hard to say "how good of a player Jämtin is".

Like, I would say that he is on par with someone like Joel Lundqvist, but also way beyond someone like Mika Hannula, and also behind someone like Jonathan Hedström -- never heard of thoose guys right? Thats because they couldn't accomplish anything in NA.

There are many details you have to pay attention too when judging someone's transition from Europe to the NHL. For example, you can be a solid to great skater in Europe without beeing at the same level in the NHL, and vice versa. On a bigger rink players who can keep their speed up basically when turning, and players who got great acceleration from like gooing 50% to 100%, can really use their speed to their advantage. In the NHL its allot more start and stop and 0%-50% spurts. So some guys from Europe who plays with a allot of speed over here, got problems with the tempo in the NHL for exampel.

In the end I think Jämtin's "hockeygame" from Europe will translate pretty well to NA. Like he is explosive and jumpy in his skating and ought to be able to play a speedy game.

Like I've said before, I think his "pest" game is the biggest question. He won't beat out guys like Prucha, Callahan, Korpikosi and Voros by beeing a splendid checking line player who excells on the PK or anything. Jämtin isn't good enought to invest in for thooes abilitys alone. He needs to have a pest element -- and it could take time to get a rep around the league, and the NHL might very very well turn out to be too tough for him.