HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chipchura

Old
09-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Taser19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post

You know who the **** is overrated SERGEI ****ING KOSTITSYN. THAT'S ****ING RIGHT I SAID IT HE IS OVER ****ING RATED.
duh?! Man he's like a poor man's Kane(playmaking wise) but the guy drops the gloves, he's got the attitude I want from a european player.

Taser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Have you even seen Chipchura play prior to being drafted by the Canadiens? Anyone with two functioning eyes and enough brainpower to analyze a hockey games would realize this guy has a truckload of potential.

You know who the **** is overrated SERGEI ****ING KOSTITSYN. THAT'S ****ING RIGHT I SAID IT HE IS OVER ****ING RATED.

Other teams would kill to acquire Chipchura, as opposed Sergei who fits the Montreal system well, but I doubt he would do as well elsewhere.

So give us a ****ing break.

okay.... so if I got it right, you are telling me that basically, Chipchura > S.Kostitsyn ?

And yes, I've seen him play in the World Juniors where he captained the team... didn't impress me that much... That team would've win anyways even if I captained it. And who cares about what he did before deing drafted, it's what have you done lately that counts. Also, what truckload of potential do you see in this guy, because I don't see any, except his supposely leadership skills and some defensive awareness...

Last edited by Erika: 09-13-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 02:58 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser19 View Post
duh?! Man he's like a poor man's Kane(playmaking wise) but the guy drops the gloves, he's got the attitude I want from a european player.
I think you missed the sarcasm.....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:00 AM
24morecupsthanyou*

if he was a captain for the kelowna rockets, this wouldn't have happened to him.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Matsi
got paws?

I'm no Montréal fan, but I'll give it a try anyway. Though, it's still the coach's task to come up with the ideal line combinations, and I guess he will try his best.

Why not try these lines:

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn-Koivu-S. Kostitsyn (or switch the Kostitsyn bros.)
Higgins-Chipchura-Lang (Lang has played RW earlier, so he should have no problem with it)
Latendresse-Begin-Laraque

12 forwards

+ 6 blueliners: Komisarek, Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, Brisebois, Bouillon

+ 2 goaltenders: Price, Halak

+ 3 healthy scratches: Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Dandenault (who can play D or F)

= 23 players on roster

plus, one spot might be open throughout the season anyway, because of different regulars spending time on the IR at different times.
So you might still have room for O'Byrne, Lehoux, Belle or whatever guy deserves it.

Last edited by Matsi: 09-13-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Bugsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
I'm no Montréal fan, but I'll give it a try anyway. Though, it's still the coach's task to come up with the ideal line combinations, and I guess he will try his best.

Why not try these lines:

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn-Koivu-S. Kostitsyn (or switch the Kostitsyn bros.)
Higgins-Chipchura-Lang (Lang has played RW earlier, so he should have no problem with it)
Latendresse-Begin-Laraque

12 forwards

+ 6 blueliners: Komisarek, Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, Brisebois, Bouillon

+ 2 goaltenders: Price, Halak

+ 3 healthy scratches: Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Dandenault (who can play D or F)

= 23 players on roster

So?
......because Lang was brought into Habsland to play center!
If Gainey was completely confident in having Chipchura and Lapierre center the third and fourth lines, Lang would not be a Hab.......

.........Begin prefers to play wing and is a better winger......

Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:47 AM
Lone Rogue

Chipchura is our fourth line centerman. Period. Lapierre proved his play increased when he moved to the wing, and Chipchura, despite being sent down last season, is on all official websites as being on the team.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:53 AM
kyne

I wouldn't count Chip out. He's a really smart player, has good hockey sense - better than Lapierre's - and I think he would do well centering an energy line where speed is less an issue. He needs to do better on faceoffs to be more effective, imo, and who better to help him improve that aspect of his game than the current coaching staff?

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:00 AM
ed ible*

If Max Pac makes the team we just might see Chipper traded as well as Dandy..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:11 AM
RC51

The Habs are making a run this year.
next year Gainey has a ton of things to do and many have no contract.
Roster spots will open up for sure next year.
Chipper will get his shot.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Poor D'Agostini more like.

Oh well, there will be call-ups.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:21 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
At some point, you'd think that you would have made your point with regards to Higgins, Chipchura and sergei. We all know your opinion on these three players, so why don't you just stick to posting on some of the other players on the team?? This post provided no additional insight when compared to 90% of your posts from the last year on these topics.

Thanks

Beaker, this all seemed to hit a flash point for EK while she was posting a series of player vs. player polls 4 or 6 months ago, IIRC.

I believe SKost may have gotten beaten out by one of the two (Higgins probably) as being more valuable to the organization, or something to that effect. She couldn't accept any rationalization as to why this might happen and has spent the bulk her time here since slagging both players at every opportunity.

I had cleared off the old IL but had to fire it up again.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
If Max Pac makes the team we just might see Chipper traded as well as Dandy..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If Pacman makes the big team(which I highly doubt this season), it will be Latendresse, not Chipchura that would be targeted IMO.

Also, I am waiting to see how much crow is going to be served to those who are crapping all over Higgins prior to the start of this season.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Habsolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
If Pacman makes the big team(which I highly doubt this season), it will be Latendresse, not Chipchura that would be targeted IMO.

Also, I am waiting to see how much crow is going to be served to those who are crapping all over Higgins prior to the start of this season.
I was wondering when this thread would turn into a Latendresse-bashing thread

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:50 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
okay.... so if I got it right, you are telling me that basically, Chipchura > S.Kostitsyn ?

And yes, I've seen him play in the World Juniors where he captained the team... didn't impress me that much... That team would've win anyways even if I captained it. And who cares about what he did before deing drafted, it's what have you done lately that counts. Also, what truckload of potential do you see in this guy, because I don't see any, except his supposely leadership skills and some defensive awareness...

You seem to have huge difficulty with a very basic concept: A team can't win with 18 Kosts or 18 Chips, or 18 Jagrs or Forsbergs for that matter. It takes a mix of players, included some from the two different molds that SKost or Chip might turn out to be cast from.

Why don't you turn off the noise for a while? You're by far and away the most annoying and seemingly immature poster here.

Old
09-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
What people don't understand sometimes after so much rebuilding is, we are a good hockey team now. That means that the development needs to be done in the lower leagues & not at the NHL level at this moment.

Chips needs to improve his skating & if he's not going to be able to improve that, then he needs to work extremely hard to make this club as a character player or perhaps another NHL club that isn't quite ready to play for the big prize.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
What people don't understand sometimes after so much rebuilding is, we are a good hockey team now. That means that the development needs to be done in the lower leagues & not at the NHL level at this moment.

Chips needs to improve his skating & if he's not going to be able to improve that, then he needs to work extremely hard to make this club as a character player or perhaps another NHL club that isn't quite ready to play for the big prize.
Nicely put. And people shouldn't be surprised, Gainey just said this a little while back, not to expect too many rookies to make the team since we have had so many young players the last few seasons etc....

I don't see any reason to say poor Chipchura, we shouldn't be going into the season with him as our 3rd line center, he should be fighting for a 4th line spot but if he ends up seeing time in Hamilton for one last year then so be it. He missed a full year of development in juniors due to injury so spending some additional time in Hamilton should not be a problem.

That said I would assume he will spend more of the year with the Habs, he can see 4th line duty, with guys like Lappierre, Begin, BGL, Kostopo and Chip, you can rotate them in and out of the lineup. Begin Lappy BGL against more of the tougher teams, Lappy Chip Kostopo on other nights, etc...

To me I think it's great that guys like Chipchura and Lapierre will likely be on the 4th line not the 3rd line. Doesn't mean they are bad players, but that our team is stronger then last years team overall.

After this season we have a large amount of UFA's, so guys like Chipchura, D'Agostini, Pacioretty, Stewart, Valentenko and others should get some consideration for spots as it's very unlikely Gainey will be able to keep all the UFA's and he might not want to. Plus I got to think injuries will hit more this year, so we will need that depth.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I think people are jum,ping to conclusions. I strongly believe that Carbo will at the least attempt to integrate Lapierre and Chpichura together to try to form a young intense defensive line. The part-time members of that line would be Kosto and Laraque.

That leavs Begin and Dandenault in the cold, which has been a long time coming. Both can sit in the press box on a daily basis and are team players so they won't complain.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:27 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
The Habs are making a run this year.
next year Gainey has a ton of things to do and many have no contract.
Roster spots will open up for sure next year.
Chipper will get his shot.
I can buy this argument,, but then why Brisebois at 1.5M cap hit?? Isn't there someone else out there that could take a top 4 role if necessary (the way Lang could play 2nd centre if there were an injury)? Wouldn't the team be stronger with Bouillon at #7?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:31 AM
zurg999

I wouldn't mind from a fans perspective watching Chip a bit more in the minors, particularly on what should be a better team to watch this coming season.

Not saying what hasn't already been said, but Lang is a capable filler for one year and we needed the additional depth at centre, just would have liked to have seen a more 'involved' player there, as we have enough skilled playmakers, but not enough skilled guys that can give it back when the games get extremely physical, like in the playoffs. Chip can bring that as well. I'm hoping Lats and Lapierre start using that part of their game more this season.

Also happen to think though that Chip is ready and it would benefit him more to see time at the NHL level,sooner rather than later. Whatever's best for the team is formost, but I wouldn't be surprised to see things shuffled such that Chip is given regular ice time in Montreal, if not in October by Christmas.

Old
09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Lapierre-Chipchura-Laraque would be the perfect 4th line if Chip shows progression and improvement as far as his skating is concerned.

This scenario is still entirely possible.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:24 AM
David_99

"What about Chipchura?" -Jounalist

"It's his spot to lose." -Gainey

If he shows in camp that he's ready, they'll play him and bench someone else. If he doesn't show enough and someone shows more in camp, he'll lose his spot. Either way we'll play the better player. How is this a bad thing?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

So there's a bit of competition on the bottom lines. No big deal. Probably somebody gets hurt in camp anyway. Sooner or later the depth will probably be needed.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Chip is very very smart. He oozes hockey sense. He has soft hands and a big heart. He doesnt skate well and is having trouble defining his role. If his skating improves as much gain this year he is a keeper. He will be great along the wall and can distribute the puck very well coming out of the corners. He has soft hands. His skating is the only concern.

titsyn;15431865]okay.... so if I got it right, you are telling me that basically, Chipchura > S.Kostitsyn ?

[/QUOTE]

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:43 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

We're set in goals and on defense. We don't know the exact lines but we know the 9 forwards who will likely be on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line. Then, we have a problem (not exactly since this problem is called depth).

We have Bégin, Lapierre, Chipchura, Laraque, Kostopoulos and Dandenault right now who will try to get a spot on the 4th line. That's 6 players for 3 spots. After all what Dandy said at the end of last season and the fact that the team is improved right now (which means that he would not be a regular), I don't think that he will be back. For a reason or another, Carbo seems to not like his play, he just doesn't fit in our system. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded for a 4th or 5th round pick before the beginning of the season.

The way I see it, Laraque is the only one who will be a regular at the beginning of the season on the 4th line. He will be the RW. For those who want to see Lapierre and Chipchura together on that line, I don't think that it will happen. Lapierre can play C or RW. Are we going to ask him to learn to play LW now? I don't think so.

IMO, here is what we will see:

Lapierre vs Chipchura for the 4th line C

Bégin vs Kostopoulos for the 4th line LW

Lapierre vs Chipchura will be interesting. Lapierre seems like the best fit on that line since he is an agitator. The experience also gives him the edge. However, the management has high hopes on Chipchura for the future. I'm pretty sure that Chipchura will really get his shot. As for Bégin vs Kostopoulos, Bégin is a LW which means that he has the edge on that point. That said, with last year playoffs, Kostopoulos prove to be a warrior while Bégin prove that he can't think with his head and avoid the dumb penalties. Since we want to go as for as possible in the playoffs this year, Kostopoulos is probably the guy that we need. That said, the season is long and we never know what is going to happen.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote