HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse ; i can lose my spot

Old
09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Latendresse ; i can lose my spot

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

very good article about Latendresse . The young player talks about his summer ; Powerskating lessons , around 10 pounds less . He says he's more explosive and stable on his skates .

He also adds that he knows that the team is very good , and that nothing is sure about his spot on the team . He will have to fight to keep his place .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:20 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

very good article about Latendresse . The young player talks about his summer ; Powerskating lessons , around 10 pounds less . He says he's more explosive and stable on his skates .

He also adds that he knows that the team is very good , and that nothing is sure about his spot on the team . He will have to fight to keep his place .
If he keeps that fear factor in his mind, he will have an excellent season.

I dunno if he's gonna make miracle, but he's gonna be improved and produce more - find his role on that sqad.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
If he keeps that fear factor in his mind, he will have an excellent season.

I dunno if he's gonna make miracle, but he's gonna be improved and produce more - find his role on that sqad.
i hope . The guy is mature , serious and likes the Habs . He knows what he has to do to be a better player .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

that are the things that dont show on paper when you look at our roster, but it could make a huge difference this year if guys like him and higgins have an extra motivation to find the net more often...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Maxpac

«J'ai cherché à corriger certains défauts, a raconté Latendresse plus tôt cette semaine. Ma façon de patiner est un peu différente. Je pense être plus explosif. Je me sens aussi plus confiant sur patins. J'ai un meilleur équilibre.

«J'ai fait attention à mon alimentation. Je pense avoir mis les énergies à la bonne place», ajoute le robuste attaquant, plus léger de près de 10 livres.

Latendresse a l'intention de poursuivre ce programme au cours des prochaines années.
«Je vais m'améliorer progressivement, dit-il. Je devrais être à mon meilleur dans cinq ou six ans au moment où un joueur de hockey atteint son 'top'.»

Now that is the best news i've heard about a core player all summer long. He's one of the few prospects who i've seen working the hardest on his flawsé

Un camp compétitif

L'athlète de Ste-Catherine a eu une bonne idée lorsqu'il a décidé de suivre ces cours de perfectionnement. La dernière saison, sa deuxième dans la Ligue nationale, lui a laissé un goût amer

see..... now that should be a huge hint for some posters who like to brag that Latendresse took powerskating lessons last year when he didn't

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:28 PM
brownman*

I bet I could loose his spot too, amirite

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Erika

Can't wait to see Lats in Training camp to see if he has gained any speed and acceleration.

Tanguay - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn - Lang - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Laraque

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Garnet

lats

Well, I can't read the article because my french is terrible. But I hope to see some magic out of Gui we seen in his first season. He still scored 16 goals last season with reduced PP time and improved his defensive game. I hope he has progessed in his skating as Ive always being routing for him. If he can get a little quicker, and better defensive awareness (improved last season)he could have a 25 goal season. I believe last year was a little of a sophmore jinx. Remember the pre season 2 years ago he was excellent. I know it was preseason.

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:39 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Happy to hear this. I hope he works his ass off and it turns into a 20g+ season and 45+ pts.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
kernkraft

Lats better lace them up and kick ass because he and Higgins could be trade bait (along with Halak) if we need to get some more talent at the trade deadline.

Sergei took his place, and now if he's not careful, Patches will too.

I'm sure Lats is trying really hard to get faster, but I somehow don't see it happening. He's just not that kind of player. Hey, I'll be the first to say I was wrong if he does come through though.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Happy to hear this. I hope he works his ass off and it turns into a 20g+ season and 45+ pts.
Easy task now that we have 3 offensive line centers,as much as i know that he can get ALOT better, if last year he would of been placed on an offensive all season long he would of had those 20 goals

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:43 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I'm expecting Lats to build on the talent we saw in his rookie season. I think that he was a bit taken aback last year by the superlative performance of the Kostitsyn brothers. Expecting much better from him this season and I agree with the above poster who speculates that he will be on the 3rd line of a mighty fine hockey club.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:51 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Lats better lace them up and kick ass because he and Higgins could be trade bait (along with Halak) if we need to get some more talent at the trade deadline.

Sergei took his place, and now if he's not careful, Patches will too.

I'm sure Lats is trying really hard to get faster, but I somehow don't see it happening. He's just not that kind of player. Hey, I'll be the first to say I was wrong if he does come through though.
really? so gainey will risk going into next off season with koivu, kovalev and tanguay all UFA's as well as TK, Dandenault and begin. 6 forwards,...and trade two top 6 forwards who are both a few years away from UFA status for 'more talent' at the deadline?

...don't think so

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
One Trick Pony

"...but I can't lose my fat"

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
"But I can't lose my fat"
Wth? You don't bash Latendresse in a Latendresse thread. That's classless.

----------------------------

I love Lat's sense of urgency right now. Hopefully he can play the type of game he brings during the preseason, but all year round. IMO he was just too fatigued 15 seconds into his shifts, and when you're tired, you're not on the ball.

PS: Maxpac rules, Guillaume drools!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
really? so gainey will risk going into next off season with koivu, kovalev and tanguay all UFA's as well as TK, Dandenault and begin. 6 forwards,...and trade two top 6 forwards who are both a few years away from UFA status for 'more talent' at the deadline?

...don't think so
Lats and Higgins are not top-6 talent (not on this team anymore, K Brothers, Kovalev, Tanguay are above). And both are RFA's at the end of the season. All I'm saying is that if Bob thinks we need a bit more punch and is confident we can go for a cup, I would think these guys are the prime targets for a trade. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all of them to stay and I'm not a big fan of deadline trades, but we have to face that possibility.

TK, Dandenault, Begin are gone at the end of the year (before that for Dandy) and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. We have to deal with Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Lang and Komisarek really. Koivu will not stay (most likely). I don't know about Lang, but I'm quite sure Tanguay and Kovy will be here next year.

Anyways, I'm steering off topic here.

Last edited by kernkraft: 09-13-2008 at 05:22 PM.
kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Lats and Higgins are not top-6 talent (not on this team anymore, K Brothers, Kovalev, Tanguay are above). And both are RFA's at the end of the season. All I'm saying is that if Bob thinks we need a bit more punch and is confident we can go for a cup, I would think these guys are the prime targets for a trade. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all of them to stay and I'm not a big fan of deadline trades, but we have to face that possibility.

TK, Dandenault, Begin are gone at the end of the year (before that for Dandy) and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. We have to deal with Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Lang and Komisarek really. Koivu will not stay (most likely). I don't know about Lang, but I'm quite sure Tanguay and Kovy will be here next year.

Koivu, Higgins, Tanguay, Kovalev, and Latendresse almost surely will remain but Lang won't be re-signed. Higgins and Latendresse are not players you throw into deadline trades unless you can get a very big fish in return. Who knows, Gainey may even trade Lang at the deadline if one of the prospects comes through.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:35 PM
bhuya71

Quote:

what the hell are u seriously smoking there bud

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
I bet I could loose his spot too, amirite
*wink wink*

*nudge nudge*

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
*wink wink*

*nudge nudge*
time

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
what the hell are u seriously smoking there bud
It's a possibility. Not likely though, I think Bob will keep everyone who should stay.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
time
Lets you and me hit the Beaker thread and runaway with a quick lead.

I have a free 30 minutes.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Lets you and me hit the Beaker thread and runaway with a quick lead.

I have a free 30 minutes.
Me too, let's go.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

For everyone who doesn't read French well:

Latendresse: "I have a spot to lose in camp"

(1st & 2nd paragraphs just say he's worked hard offseason, trained in Ontario with Paul Lawson, a buddy of Timmins'. Joined by his bro, Valentenko & Canucks pick Cody Hodgson. He was the best player on the ice, and his skating: His skating looked more fluid. He also seems faster. (according to the writer.)

now directly:

"I tried to fix certain weaknesses," said Latendresse earlier this week. "My style of skating is a little different. I think it's more explosive. I'm also more confident on my skates, I have better balance."

"I watched my diet. I think I've put effort in the right place," said the big winger, who is almost 10 pounds lighter.

Latendresse intends to continue this regime for years to come. "I will improve progressively," he said. "I should be at my best in 5 or 6 years, when a hockey player reaches their peak."

A competitive camp

The Ste-Catherine native knew what he had to do something when he decided to follow this program of improvement. Last season, his second in the NHL, left a bitter taste in his mouth. In 73 games, he scored only 16 goals and 11 assists, a poorer showing than the previous season (16-13-29). His ice time dpped a bit from 12:15 / game to 12:36 / game.

At 21 years old, this is Latendresse's 4th camp in Montreal. A camp where young players like Matt D'Agostini, Kyle Chipchura, Greg Stewart, Mathieu Carle and Valentenko will have a tough job cracking the lineup. Latendresse himself wants to avoid a nasty surprise.

"This will be a very competitive camp," he said. "The team has talent as well as depth. I know that I have a spot to lose."

Latendresse isn't counting on playing on the first 2 lines, where the additions of Robert Lang and Alex Tanguay have created a crowd.

"I'd like to be the left winger on a stable third line," he offered. "I would like to be promoted to the top 2 lines if and when my play merits it."

Nevertheless, Latendresse will have stiff competition. The Canadiens will give Max Pacioretty every chance to prove himself. The Habs owe him that after signing him to a pro contract after only 1 year in US college hockey. [note: I'm not sure the word "owe" fits here accurately, take that with a grain of salt]

Other than that he's taking care of his boy, enjoys being a father, and says being a dad has changed him for the better,

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote