HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jordan Staal: Draft bust already?

View Poll Results: Is Jordan Staal a draft bust?
Yes 31 6.74%
No 290 63.04%
No, but it was still a bad choice by Pittsburgh 139 30.22%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
zetterberg40

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Staal is playing 18 MPG and most of it 5on5 is as a third line centerman. Some pp time and some PK time. Hes a great and going to be a great two-way scoring forward. Many will sit here and say they should have taken Backstrom or Toews. Well, these comparisons are just not legitmate enough yet. Toews plays in the top 6 atleast 5on5, top line PP and what not. backstrom was the same mostly. They are all very skilled kids and Staal has a lot more experience under his belt this far then the other two. It is still a very solid pick.

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Complaining Customer

I think it's a good pick for the team, they might have looked better if they traded down a few spots hoping he'd still be on the board, but they got the player they wanted, and he suits the team perfectly - they can make of him the best 3rd line center in the league, or a very good offensive weapon on a wing. Plus he'll be a top-notch pk player.

Considering Staal has scored more goals in the NHL than Toews and Backstrom combined, I think it is pretty retarded to qualify him as a bust right now.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
GMofOilers

Hes only going to be freaking 20 years old this year. Far from a bust.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Was this intended to read "I think it's far too early to say that Staal was both a draft bust AND a poor choice" ? If so, I agree.

I think he'll bounce back and if he saw 18 minutes a game he'd hit 75 points regularly.

But...yeah, Okposo is obviously better with 9 games under his belt and all. Typical HFboards mentality.
FAIR to say

Oh and based on your logic, Trevor Linden owns Crosby because he's played a ton more games.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

No

I wanted to vote option 3, but I can't say it was a bad pick.

They just shoulda picked Toews or Backstrom, but they also coulda picked Kessel so it was a fine pick.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Brownies

He's a really good young player that I'd welcome on my team anyday. My life would be a lot better if everyone could stop saying : They sould have taken Toews instead... or Kopitar... etc... It's easy to say a couple of years later.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
I'd like to have busts like him on my team.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AgentNaslund*

he is no bust. He was compared to his brother. Who wouldnt draft a Eric Staal type of player?

HOwever, he was just a ppg game guy at the OHL level. Nothing compared to what Eric Did.

however, there are a couple guys, I would take over him in a heartbeat. (Toews, Backstrom).

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Evilo

vCash: 432
Kessel's only job is to score.
Staal's main goal is to defend.

Yet Staal has outscored Kessel as of now and you'd still take Kessel before him.

I say YOU're the bust.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:02 PM
frag2

Quote:
You may be right, but the Pens had no need for another top line center with Crosby and Malkin already here. Staal was/is very good defensively and is an ideal third line center already at just 19 years old.
You don't use a high pick and choose a player destined to be your 3rd line center. Smart pick? Not really. Bad pick? Nope..at least for now.

Staal isn't a bust nor is he gold right now. One can't justify him as a good choice because of CURRENT situation with the Pens. Like I said, you don't (normally) use a high pick for a checker.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Killiecrankie*

lots of tards on this board.

I'd take a defensively responsible soon to be 20 year old with potential 30 goal seasons over just about anyone.

We have already built the pk unit after him, he is going to get Malones job in front of the net on the pp, AND he has the responsibility against the other teams top players.

Tards

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Airborne Troll*

Toews with the Penguins would have been simply insane

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Diving Pokecheck*

[QUOTE=Paradox;15436219] even on other teams he's just barely good enough to be a 2nd liner./QUOTE]

I would take him on the Kings, for sure.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Darth Sidious*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Let's see who Pittsburgh could have taken instead:

Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Brassard
Okposo
Mueller

Most teams would probably rather have ANY of these players except maybe Brassard. Staal is always going to be a third liner as long as he's in Pittsburgh, and even on other teams he's just barely good enough to be a 2nd liner. Just doesn't have the same offensive skills as the players taken before him. His rookie year he got lucky with a high shooting percentage and a lot of shorthanded chances. He will probably end up being a 45-50 point player in his prime, paling in comparison to the players taken after him, and hardly the numbers one would expect from a #2 overall pick. I think it's fair to say that Staal was both a draft bust AND a poor choice considering who went after him.

Wow...just...wow.

Darth Sidious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Canuck71

This thread is a joke. How can you even consider him a bust considering hes only played 2 NHL seasons and is making a name for himself as one of the better penalty killers in the NHL right now. Sure he had a bit of an off season last year but are people forgetting that Staal put up 29 goals in his rookie season with the Pens? I'm sure Staal will bounce back this year and be a strong contributer both offensively and defensively for the Pens.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
You don't use a high pick and choose a player destined to be your 3rd line center. Smart pick? Not really. Bad pick? Nope..at least for now.

Staal isn't a bust nor is he gold right now. One can't justify him as a good choice because of CURRENT situation with the Pens. Like I said, you don't (normally) use a high pick for a checker.
He's only played on the third line for one season, and he was only 19 years old. We already have Crosby and Malkin, and there's no chance in hell he ever centers one of the top two lines over either of them.

Like I said earlier, Therrien is very likely to use him on the left wing of one of the top two lines this season. We have Talbot who's more than capable of centering the third line which allows us to move him up to bring some skill and size to one of Crosby or Malkin's line.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Do you consider Jack Johnson a bust? Or Bobby Ryan? Or Jack Skille? Or Devin Setoguchi? Or Brian Lee?

I mean my God! Carolina could have gotten Price! Or Kopitar! Or Anaheim could have grabbed Kopitar!

I mean look at these players taken after the top 10:

Kopitar, Staal, Hanzal, Parent, Rask, Oshie, Cogliano, Niskanen, Downie...

Seriously! All of those players taken before these players are BUSTS in the 2005 except for Crosby and Price.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Can you read?

I was merely pointing out the reason he had so many goals was because his shooting percentage was abnormally high, especially for a rookie. Please tell me where I am wrong. kthx
Doesn't that just point to his skill set?

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:32 PM
glucker

Quote:
Let's see who Pittsburgh could have taken instead:

Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Brassard
Okposo
Mueller

Most teams would probably rather have ANY of these players except maybe Brassard. Staal is always going to be a third liner as long as he's in Pittsburgh, and even on other teams he's just barely good enough to be a 2nd liner. Just doesn't have the same offensive skills as the players taken before him. His rookie year he got lucky with a high shooting percentage and a lot of shorthanded chances. He will probably end up being a 45-50 point player in his prime, paling in comparison to the players taken after him, and hardly the numbers one would expect from a #2 overall pick. I think it's fair to say that Staal was both a draft bust AND a poor choice considering who went after him.
not a bust, but definitely not a good choice either... they should have gone with a winger instead

and Staal will not end up being a 45-50 pont player in his prime... he will likely average between 70 and 80 points when all is said and done... if he can get off the pens, who are waaayyyy to stacked at center

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
FAIR to say

Oh and based on your logic, Trevor Linden owns Crosby because he's played a ton more games.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
DeathFromAbove

Jordan Staal: Draft bust already?

From the brilliant mind that brought you How far does Jim Rutherford plummet in the GM rankings after his latest bungle?

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Fighter
Legend

Bust? Really?

He had a great rookie year, a so so sophomore year and he's labeled like a bust already?

Man, only on HFboard

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If Staal were anywhere else but Pittsburgh, he'd get top six ice time. As it stands, he still averages 18 minutes of ice time a game. He's got a big body that he's going to continue to grow into and he's already had a season in which he scored 29 goals while getting next to no power play time. The guy's going to be a beast. I think Pittsburgh made the right decision in drafting Staal because they are three deep down the middle. They also have their goaltending of the future set in place and they do have some decent prospect defensemen ready to crack the roster.

What Staal needs more than anything else is a playmaking winger. I liken his situation to that of Jeff Carter in Philadelphia. You know these guys will get their shots and you know they're capable of putting the puck in the net. They just need someone to feed them the puck. I'll also go on the record right now and say that while Staal may not put up the numbers of Backstrom or a Toews, I think his role in Pittsburgh will be much, much, much more important that what Toews or Backstrom bring to the table. As someone pointed out earlier, you win championships with guys like Staal in the lineup.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

shouldve taken Toews, Backstrom or Brassard

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
deanosaur

Smartest move Pittsburgh could of made.
Draft a defensive forward, considering they have Malkin and Crosby.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote