HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Latendresse ; i can lose my spot

Old
09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Lats and Higgins are not top-6 talent (not on this team anymore, K Brothers, Kovalev, Tanguay are above). And both are RFA's at the end of the season. All I'm saying is that if Bob thinks we need a bit more punch and is confident we can go for a cup, I would think these guys are the prime targets for a trade. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all of them to stay and I'm not a big fan of deadline trades, but we have to face that possibility.

TK, Dandenault, Begin are gone at the end of the year (before that for Dandy) and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. We have to deal with Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Lang and Komisarek really. Koivu will not stay (most likely). I don't know about Lang, but I'm quite sure Tanguay and Kovy will be here next year.

Anyways, I'm steering off topic here.
Koivu won't be back?..Yea, I'm sure he doesn't care about the Habs anymore and wants out for his probably last contract that makes a whole lot of sense..
Koivu is going to want to finish his career here, and I don't see why Gainey wouldn't resign him.
Somehow in your special mind, Lang and Tanguay are most likely coming back but Koivu isn't..loll

Bob Gainey refused to trade away Higgins for HOSSA at the dealine last season when we were fighting for FIRST in Conference.
This year he'd be willing to trade Higgins/Latendresse for a big fish?..who's really bigger than Hossa??

I strongly doubt Latendresse will be moved seeing as Gainey went after his brother. Lats won't be moved, or not this season at least. Bob refused to deal Higgins last year at deadline, so I doubt he'd do it this season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

I will grant that the Kosts have passed him on the depth chart. But how would putting #84 on the left side of line 3, as he stated, actually work?

AKost-Plek-Kovy
Higgins-Saku-Tanguay
Latendresse-Lang-Skost

3rd line would still be too slow.

Wow... he's no Sundin but with Lang our top 9 is decent. Can't help saying that.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:14 PM
couz

I like the fact he states he'll be at his best in 5 to 6 years...he knows he's a work in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
I will grant that the Kosts have passed him on the depth chart. But how would putting #84 on the left side of line 3, as he stated, actually work?

AKost-Plek-Kovy
Higgins-Saku-Tanguay
Latendresse-Lang-Skost

Wow... he's no Sundin but with Lang our top 9 is decent. Can't help saying that.
If Lang can to what he did last year in Chicago yes we have some solid balance in terms of line combinations.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-14-2008 at 01:03 AM.
couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:22 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Lats and Higgins are not top-6 talent (not on this team anymore, K Brothers, Kovalev, Tanguay are above). And both are RFA's at the end of the season. All I'm saying is that if Bob thinks we need a bit more punch and is confident we can go for a cup, I would think these guys are the prime targets for a trade. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all of them to stay and I'm not a big fan of deadline trades, but we have to face that possibility.

TK, Dandenault, Begin are gone at the end of the year (before that for Dandy) and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. We have to deal with Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Lang and Komisarek really. Koivu will not stay (most likely). I don't know about Lang, but I'm quite sure Tanguay and Kovy will be here next year.

Anyways, I'm steering off topic here.
I like SKos a lot , but i think it 's just absurb to say that he's ahead of Higgins right now . He got 9 goals in the NHL . He could also have a hard sophomore season , as a lot of players had in the past .

Anyway when a coach makes his lines , he see his team as a whole unit , not as an addition of individual units . Even if he 's less skilded , a player can be on a top line just because he 's a better complement of the other linemates .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:

AKost-Plek-Kovy
Higgins-Saku-Tanguay
Latendresse-Lang-Skost

S.Kost with these 2 would be a huge mistake. They are way too slow for him. I'm not a big fan of the trade right now but i can't wait to see what Lang can do

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Kost-Plekanec-Kost
Higgins-Lang-Latendresse
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque
Bégin/Chip

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM
couz

SKost is a fine player, I really see him as a sort of Mike Fisher winger version, feisty and a solid player but on a very good team a fine third liner, like what we have this year.

Old
09-13-2008, 05:33 PM
oli500

In a way the lang trade well benefit guys lantendresse,lapierre or S.K.big time. There is more depth and more balance up and down the line up now. We needed a guy like Lang or Sundin on are team because now instead of having a young center or higgins centering are 3rd line we will have some experience in Lang.

When you think of it S.K Lang Latendresse or lapierre is a pretty good 3rd line.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:36 PM
couz

As long as the 3rd line has an identity and not just a bunch of guys thrown together like an offensive guy with a defensive and a feisty guy.

Old
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
kernkraft

Ouch, people are not liking my ideas I see, and no, I do not smoke.

All I'm saying is, great, Lats is working hard, that's good for him because he's going to need it. If by February he's not doing so good and spending time on the fourth line and the press box, he could be trade bait (along with Higgins) if Gainey really wants to go all-in and go for a cup-run.

I'm not in favor of this, I'm just stating what's in the realm of possibility. You won't get a Gaborik or Tkachuk at the deadline for Chipchura and a 2nd round pick, you know what I mean.

As for our pending FAs, I'm not the only one who thinks Saku could not be back next season. Pleks, Higgins, Latendresse, Chipchura, Komisarek, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang, etc. Gainey will have to make some tough decisions.

And by the way, I'm not a Koivu hater, I have a big poster of him on the wall in front of me (it's the "Courage" one).

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
S.Kost with these 2 would be a huge mistake. They are way too slow for him. I'm not a big fan of the trade right now but i can't wait to see what Lang can do

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Kost-Plekanec-Kost
Higgins-Lang-Latendresse
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque
Bégin/Chip
Higgins is faster than S.Kost..

Quote:
Ouch, people are not liking my ideas I see, and no, I do not smoke.

All I'm saying is, great, Lats is working hard, that's good for him because he's going to need it. If by February he's not doing so good and spending time on the fourth line and the press box, he could be trade bait (along with Higgins) if Gainey really wants to go all-in and go for a cup-run.

I'm not in favor of this, I'm just stating what's in the realm of possibility. You won't get a Gaborik or Tkachuk at the deadline for Chipchura and a 2nd round pick, you know what I mean.

As for our pending FAs, I'm not the only one who thinks Saku could not be back next season. Pleks, Higgins, Latendresse, Chipchura, Komisarek, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang, etc. Gainey will have to make some tough decisions.

And by the way, I'm not a Koivu hater, I have a big poster of him on the wall in front of me (it's the "Courage" one).
Because to you, someone that will be scratched and put in the PressBox is going to get us a good return at the deadline?..
A PowerFoward takes time to develop. If we can have Latendresse and MaxPac in a few years playing solid, then we might have the next Franzen/Holmstrom duo. So I wouldn't mind waiting for Lats, unless if it's to get us a huge name. There's always exceptions, but if we look at the Hossa deal last winter, the deals going on around the deadline are usually quite ridiculous overpayments.

If you think Koivu won't be back, then trading Higgins should be even more out of the question because he's obviously being looked at as the next generation of leaders along with Komi.

And you're completely right, Gainey will have his hands full next summer. Signing Koivu/Kovalev/Komi is going to be his top 3 important signings.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-14-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Higgins is faster than S.Kost..
I was just going to post that...

And it's not a bad thing to have a faster plamaker on a line BTW, it's not like they can't slow down ( not that the difference beetween Latendresse and S.Kost is THAT big), but i think that Higgins-Lang-S.Kost would make a killer 3rd line

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:21 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Koivu won't be back?..Yea, I'm sure he doesn't care about the Habs anymore and wants out for his probably last contract that makes a whole lot of sense..
Koivu is going to want to finish his career here, and I don't see why Gainey wouldn't resign him.
Somehow in your special mind, Lang and Tanguay are most likely coming back but Koivu isn't..loll
I agree that Koivu is probably going to end his career here , but at what kind of price and for how many season(s ) ?

This coming season , we will see a lot of things that are going to determinate what the Habs are going to be next seasons ;

Is Kovy will repeat his last season and be the leader of the Habs ?
Is Koivu just had a bad season , or is he really on his decline ?
What kind of season Lang can give with good linemates .
How Latendresse will do , after his summer skating training ?
How good Maxpac will be at the pro level ?
How good Ben Maxwell will be at the pro level ?
what Chipchura will do ?
Who are going to be free agents next summer ?

Do you think that Gainey is going to sacrifice Chipchura or Plekanec to make room for Koivu , if he still play like he did last season ?

When he was trying to sign Sundin , what do you think that Gainey had in mind ? Witch of the Habs centers would have seen his ice time reduced ?

Most of the fans right now put Lang on the 3 th line , but is it that sure ? Even if he played with a best NHL offensive team , Saku got 10 less points scored at ES than Lang .

I don't say that the Habs won't resign Koivu , or that Gainey doesn't want to resign him ; i just wanted to show that the decision to resign or not Koivu , won't be an easy decision as you think

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Habsolutely

Back on-topic...

I appreciate the kid's attitude. He really wants to improve, he is making the efforts to make it happen and he realizes he's in a tight spot.

I don't expect more from a 21-years-old going into his 3rd season in the NHL.

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

very good article about Latendresse . The young player talks about his summer ; Powerskating lessons , around 10 pounds less . He says he's more explosive and stable on his skates .

He also adds that he knows that the team is very good , and that nothing is sure about his spot on the team . He will have to fight to keep his place .
I think this could be a breakout year for Lats, he seems to be maturing as a player and a person recognizing that nothing is a given and he has to work for what he wants.

I'm equally impressed with the fact that Pavel Valentenko was at the same power skating camp which seemed to span over the course of the summer. He could be a nice surprise in the defense mix at training camp. Discussion for another thread.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
AD

A player usually breaks out in his 4th year in the NHL.

I think Lats will progress again.. but I'm expecting him to really be good at 23 or 24.

Lets manage expectations.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

Nevertheless, Latendresse will have stiff competition. The Canadiens will give Max Pacioretty every chance to prove himself. The Habs owe him that after signing him to a pro contract after only 1 year in US college hockey. [note: I'm not sure the word "owe" fits here accurately, take that with a grain of salt]
Nope, you're right it is "owe". They're saying that the canadiens "owe" Max Pac to at least give him a fair shot at cracking the line up.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Wow, I'd love it if Max Pac made the team from training camp. 4th line duty for Lats right there. Love the depth on this team. And yeah, I still love Lats, this guy isn't going away; he is on this team for years to come.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Boulette Cannon

Great news.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Nope, you're right it is "owe". They're saying that the canadiens "owe" Max Pac to at least give him a fair shot at cracking the line up.
Word is that members of Habs management firmly believe Pacioretty is ready to start the year in Montreal. Whether it's Timmins himself, or if people believe room needs to be made, remains to be seen.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 09-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:06 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm one that's never really seen his speed as a real concern. He's slow, sure, but thus far that hasn't hindered his ability for scoring. He'll be the trailer on a fast break -- which he should be. He'll out-muscle guys for the puck to score -- which he should be doing.

Even if he improves his speed, he'll never outrace anybody (except Derian Hatcher last year). Get stronger, work on your puck control and passing and the points will come.

The only thing I can see speed helping is his ability to backcheck, which does need to improve.

09-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Jigger77

Latendresse should try and emulate Tomas Holmstrom.

He has the hands when open in the slot, the size to fight for posession in there and lacks the skating ability to be a perimeter player like he tries to when he gets off his game. The guy should watch videos of what Holmstrom does on the ice and do as the master does. Stand in front of the net and become an expert at banging in the garbage goals. Of course the trick is coming back on D at the right time without getting caught. That's where experience comes into play.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I replaced Latendresse in NHL09 Be A Pro Mode!!!!!!!!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Word is that members of Habs management firmly believe Pacioretty is ready to start the year in Montreal. Whether it's Timmins himself, or if people believe room needs to be made, remains to be seen.
And where is supose to play? Just with players who have played a game in the NHL...

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
A.Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Lang-S.Kost
Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre
Kostopoulos-Bégin-Dandenault
D'Agostini-Stewart

Gainey to get rid of some deadweight fast

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I think a lot of folks are gunning for Maxpac to make the big club a bit too early. The reason is probably because they rushed Lats in without AHL experience so they figure the same will happen to Pacioretty because he's a similar player. imho, they're going to wait this time around for two reasons. They realized Latendresse could have used the year or two in the AHL and, there isn't a need to rush someone in now like there was two years ago. If you ask me Max is going to play in Hamilton for a while and they won't rush him at all. Just my opinion of course. I haven't actually seen the guy play other than highlights.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anybody impressed to see that Valentenko went with Latendresse as well? Reading this and seeing Valentenko developing makes me think of Emelin, Trunev, Korneev at the same time though....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-13-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote