HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Berard to attend cam (9/14/08 article, post #102)

Old
08-28-2008, 08:48 PM
orangey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I still don't understand how Eminger is worth what we gave up.
Homer must like him and that was a cost they were willing to pay to get him. It wasn't that high if he and/or Bourdon turn into players but it's certainly a gamble. I like Homer going for it since we really need him and his right hand shot to develop fast. He is an older prospect who's getting the best chance he is going to get. I like the Bourdon pick and the move has a huge upside, even with the risk. Sbisa made another young draft-pick defenseman unnecessary and a older reclamation project more appealing considering their immediate need and cap situation.

orangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2572
Berard article...
Quote:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...job/?page=full

The eye isn't much of a problem. In fact, said Bryan Berard, he barely ever thinks about it, more than eight years after the sight in his right eye was all but extinguished when he was gouged by Marian Hossa's errant stick.

"To be honest, the eye's not an issue anymore," said Berard, not long before finishing his summer workouts here in Boston and heading south with only the promise of a tryout awaiting him in Philadelphia. "It took a couple of years to get used to it, for my brain and body to adjust, but I don't even think about it now. Not an issue."

More delicate and irksome of late, though, has been Berard's back, along with other niggling injuries. In his two seasons with Columbus (2005-07), the former Mount St. Charles star needed not one but two surgeries on damaged disks, limiting him to 55 games across the two seasons with the Blue Jackets.

"I had surgery on the one disk my first year there," recalled the 31-year-old Berard. "And then when I came back, after the rehab, all the same symptoms came back. Doctors had overlooked the fact two of the disks were injured. So I needed the surgery again, and ended up missing the whole year [save for 11 games] for basically nothing."

At the invitation of Islanders general manager Garth Snow, Berard reported to Long Island last September and earned a contract to play on the back line. A couple of weeks into the season, however, a groin injury slowed Berard, forcing him out for nearly a month and, in his opinion, placing him "behind the 8-ball" with coach Ted Nolan. The former No. 1 draft pick finished with 5 goals and 22 points in 54 games.

Following the season, Nolan was given the heave-ho by the Islanders, and replaced by former Providence (AHL) coach Scott Gordon. But prior to that, the Islanders inked former Habs backliner Mark Streit to a deal that will pay $20.5 million over the next five years.

The only horse to win the Florida Derby, the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup Classic. Sire to multiple Grade 1 champions. The last horse to sire a winner in each Triple Crown race. Grandsire to American Pharoah.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

WICKED!!!! Go Bryan Go!! Hope he makes the team!!! Leafs fans still love him & we miss him!! I'm a huge supporter of his, since he came to the leafs & still after he left.

Bryan Berard only left because it was too hard for him emotionally to stay, after with what happened.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
I'd like to see him make the team if he fits. Character guys like these are always good. Ken Holland was once asked how he does it and one of his pointers was giving these type of guys a shot.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 07:01 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...job/?page=full

The eye isn't much of a problem. In fact, said Bryan Berard, he barely ever thinks about it, more than eight years after the sight in his right eye was all but extinguished when he was gouged by Marian Hossa's errant stick.

"To be honest, the eye's not an issue anymore," said Berard,
not long before finishing his summer workouts here in Boston and heading south with only the promise of a tryout awaiting him in Philadelphia. "It took a couple of years to get used to it, for my brain and body to adjust, but I don't even think about it now. Not an issue."

More delicate and irksome of late, though, has been Berard's back, along with other niggling injuries. In his two seasons with Columbus (2005-07), the former Mount St. Charles star needed not one but two surgeries on damaged disks, limiting him to 55 games across the two seasons with the Blue Jackets.

"I had surgery on the one disk my first year there," recalled the 31-year-old Berard. "And then when I came back, after the rehab, all the same symptoms came back. Doctors had overlooked the fact two of the disks were injured. So I needed the surgery again, and ended up missing the whole year [save for 11 games] for basically nothing."

At the invitation of Islanders general manager Garth Snow, Berard reported to Long Island last September and earned a contract to play on the back line. A couple of weeks into the season, however, a groin injury slowed Berard, forcing him out for nearly a month and, in his opinion, placing him "behind the 8-ball" with coach Ted Nolan. The former No. 1 draft pick finished with 5 goals and 22 points in 54 games.

Following the season, Nolan was given the heave-ho by the Islanders, and replaced by former Providence (AHL) coach Scott Gordon. But prior to that, the Islanders inked former Habs backliner Mark Streit to a deal that will pay $20.5 million over the next five years.
Thank you MiamiScreamingEagles for the update on Bryan. I really appreciate it. I will pass it along to the Leafs board.

I'm so glad he's doing better!! I was at that game & it was the scariest thing I ever saw. I will never forget it.

Being able to see out of both eyes & then all of a sudden losing sight in one eye will take a long, long time to adjust. Never mind playing hockey, but in everyday life.

Hopes Bryan makes the team!!!

Last edited by LeafsGuru93: 09-13-2008 at 07:09 PM.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote