HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The cost of the 1st Overall pick to high to pay

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2004, 11:56 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
The cost of the 1st Overall pick to high to pay

According to Bob McKenzie on TSN he has heard that Keenan may have offered the Caps Bouwmester, Weiss and the 7th overall pick. To me that sounds like a lot and in another way it seems like it isn't enough.

If I'm Mcphee I'm telling Keenan to switch the Weiss with Horton and you may have caught my interest.

By the sounds of the Keenan proposal it looks as if it would take us to deal Komisarek with Perezhogin and our 1st pick and maybe more, sounds too rich for us right now. We are not desperate or in dire need of a savior with a good core of kids coming up and some of them do have the potential to shine like Kats.

If anything I can see BG making a push for the 4th overall pick from Columbus. We have a lot of prospects we can offer and not have to over pay for the pick either.

I still think BG wants to and will move up, but not for the 1st overall pick.

Old
06-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Form and Substance

Hell no, Boowmeester (who would have been a top 5 pick in 2001 had he been born earlier) is a superstar in the making and Weiss is a sure fire 2nd liner, there is no way on earth I'd give up those assets (plus my first round) for some (well not just any) hotshot chump who might as well have written a blank check on my coffee table. Ovechkin's going to be a great player in this league, second coming I can't tell, but a great player none the less in the not too distant future (hell i've tapped him leading candidate for the calder). Boo will be a great force as SOON AS NEXT YEAR. Weiss will hit his stride this year. Look at their progress, it aint worth it man. GM's always ask for exorbitant returns for their #1 overalls because they know damn well theyre probably not worth it anyway. Evil Corporate ethics.

Old
06-23-2004, 12:32 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
According to Bob McKenzie on TSN he has heard that Keenan may have offered the Caps Bouwmester, Weiss and the 7th overall pick. To me that sounds like a lot and in another way it seems like it isn't enough.
Honestly if McPhee doesn't go for that then he's making a mistake. Bouwmeester is going to be a 1st all-star team type of player in the league, add to that Weiss and the 7th, I just don't see how Washington could refuse!

Old
06-23-2004, 01:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't take that if I was the Caps. AO could be the next Kovalchuk. I don't think he will be that good as he might be more skilled but doesn't have the frame or strength of Kovalchuk. But I also don't buy all this Malkin crap. I'd fall out of my chair if Malkin was picked over AO, but I could be watching the wrong player cause I keep hearing about Malkin being a big PF type center but in the 2 games I saw he looked very skinny, no upper body frame and wasn't physical. He did setup a PP goal against CSKA though.

Bouwmester and Weiss and the 7th is nice, but Weiss I'm not convinced he'll be a goto guy and Bouwmester while a great prospect hasn't shown me a whole lot. I don't think Jay Bow and Weiss and the 7th is worth AO, but I thought the package from us for Kovalev was way too much, now it's a tough call.

Old
06-23-2004, 01:45 AM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
the fan inside me is saying : "komisarek, perezhogin or higgins, 1rst rounder" is ok for a fantastic player who will take me out of my seat.

the gm inside me say "ishhhh....I dunno it is a lots"

Old
06-23-2004, 03:39 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Bouwmester and Weiss and the 7th is nice, but Weiss I'm not convinced he'll be a goto guy and Bouwmester while a great prospect hasn't shown me a whole lot. I don't think Jay Bow and Weiss and the 7th is worth AO, but I thought the package from us for Kovalev was way too much, now it's a tough call.
Bouwmester at the world championship (this year) did very well imo. I think he's definately world class talent. I think he carried on what he did at the end of the year for Florida, truly showing he's a bona fide number 1.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:31 AM
Marksman

The cost of 1st pick may be high for Caps too... nobody knows if Russians are playing smoke and mirrors tricks, but who ever gets Ovechkin may find signing him is expensive - transfer fees on top of big contract.

If I was offered Bouwmeester Weiss and 7th and I was rebuilding my team with economic problems, I,d be running away with them already.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:42 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
the fan inside me is saying : "komisarek, perezhogin or higgins, 1rst rounder" is ok for a fantastic player who will take me out of my seat.

the gm inside me say "ishhhh....I dunno it is a lots"
Bouwmeester > Komisarek (right now)
Weiss >> Perezhogin/Higgins (zero NHL experience)
7th >>> 18th

If Keenans offer wasnt good enough how would that be? Ok Caps and Panthers do play in same division, Habs dont, but still...

I dont think Habs have anything to make that kind of deal, our best youngest players look (Ribeiro/Ryder) awfully one hit wonders.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
According to Bob McKenzie on TSN he has heard that Keenan may have offered the Caps Bouwmester, Weiss and the 7th overall pick.
I don't believe this rumor at all.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Either way, it does seem to be true that the Panthers are shopping the following:

Stephen Weiss
Kristian Huselius
the #7 pick

Do any of these assets interest us? I would have to think so! I'm not big on Huselius, but I'd take Weiss over Ribeiro any day. And of course the #7 pick... mmm.

The problem for us, of course, is that the type of players Keenan is liable to be interested in are precisely the type of players we don't have. So I can't see us making a deal. He'll probably trade some of that stuff to Dallas for the Guerin/Arnott package that is rumoured.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Either way, it does seem to be true that the Panthers are shopping the following:

Stephen Weiss
Kristian Huselius
the #7 pick

Do any of these assets interest us? I would have to think so! I'm not big on Huselius, but I'd take Weiss over Ribeiro any day. And of course the #7 pick... mmm.

The problem for us, of course, is that the type of players Keenan is liable to be interested in are precisely the type of players we don't have. So I can't see us making a deal. He'll probably trade some of that stuff to Dallas for the Guerin/Arnott package that is rumoured.
Another problem is, if that actually somehow came to pass, what to do with Ribeiro.

Hire one of Theodores biker gang buddies or his fathers acquintances?

Old
06-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Darz

I have a feeling if the Panthers offered Washington Bouwmester and Weiss and the 7th overall for the 1st overall, Washington would pass. Bouwmeter might become a Norris type dman, and Weiss might become a good NHL'er, but Ovechkin (along with Crosby next year) have that once in a decade type feel. I mean people are saying that he could become the best Russian player EVER!!! That is quite the hype.
To get Washington to give away a true future franchise player you are going to have to make them an offer that they basically can't refuse. And than means seriously overpaying!

Old
06-23-2004, 09:49 AM
mcphee

It's a damned if you do,damned if you don't type of offer. Teams win with goalie/premiere D man combos and Fla. has a good start on that. They have 2 potential power forwards in a league where most teams are crying for 1. Do you cut into the core and offer Bo. for a potenetial superstar ? If you're Mcphee do you walk away from that potential superstar ? If I'm Keenan, I keep my D man, if I'm Mcphee, I draft my star. All this depends on whether Ovechkin is projected as an elite player or a once in 5 years type. There's a difference, and I'm not sure where Ovechkin falls.

Regarding Crosby, it would be great if Columbus got him and played him with Nash. Then they could find a player named Stills or Young, what a line they'd make. Of course Young would want to leave and go on his own.

Old
06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
if I'm Mcphee, I draft my star.
You are Mcphee!!

Closed Thread