HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

**Official Traverse City Prospect Tournament Thread**

Old
09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Angels for Everyone

vCash: 500
4-0 Wings - Emmerton from Pyett

both those players were part of the Canada / Russia superseries.

Pyett was on the Canada WJC team this year (not bad for a 6th round pick)
Emmerton couldn't play because he had mono

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
ThirdEye

What the heck happened to the team today? Can't even score one measly goal?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What the heck happened to the team today? Can't even score one measly goal?
substantially different team than last year. I believe last year we had Staal, Sauer, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Bourret, etc. This year none of those guys are back

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Sorry I was not around to do any online chats today, but it appears that it is going to wind up being an 18-hour day. I just got home (after leaving at 8 am) and will be writing my story over the next 2 hours for an early morning post.

I don't know if it will be any better tomorrow.

BTW, the NHL Network can only broadcast half the games, as they are only set up on one rink.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Blazephr

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=381925

BOX SCORE

http://www.redwingscentral.com/camps/2008-09/boxscores/Sept13_DET_NYR.php

Last edited by Blazephr: 09-13-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 11:55 PM
LyNX27

Looks like we have a bright future ahead of us. I like these particular quotes...

"Both goals came with Rangers prospect David Skokan serving a penalty. "

"The third period featured a fight in which Rangers prospect Justin Soryal, an undrafted player who signed with the Blueshirts last spring, dominated Bryce Swan of the Wings."

"Home-ice advantage gives Wings a boost in Traverse City"

(A 4 goal boost!!!)

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Del Zotto a -2

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:37 AM
NYR Viper

the team is very young, in terms of the talented players this year the the tournament.....last season players like korpikoski, staal, sauer, dubinsky and potter were the older guys who brought a lot of skill and experience......the one thing we all noticed last season, that wasnt exploited also was the poor goaltending.....this year it is magnified because of the defense and the types of players there.....last season potter, staal, sauer, sanguinetti made up for a solid top-4 who could play both ends....this season del zotto and sanguinetti are the main guys and neither of them are great in the defensive end.....this is where we will see the lack of organizational depth at goalie.....

also, the forwards are mostly very young and mostly later draft picks on this team....the highest pick at this tournament for the rangers is anisimov as cheraponov isnt present, korpikoski and jessiman cant participate and staal, sanguinetti and del zotto are all defensemen......its not putting anyone down, but there is a reason why they were drafted later on.....its because they are more projects and there is nothing wrong with that, its just they arent as naturally talented as some other players.....

looking at the lineup the team will go as far as del zotto, sanguinetti, anisimov, grachev and hillier/zaborsky take them.....its a very young group and not as skilled as some of the other teams there but the thing i like is that they didnt give up....i like that soryal fought....i like that they play with pride for the rangers....that is what is important to me......

list of prospects not playing:
cheraponov
sauer
potter
korpikoski
moore
jessiman
byers
stepan
hagelin

thats a pretty solid start to a team right there....plus the players who recently graduated:

dawes
dubinsky
callahan
staal

we are just seeing a turnover year....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Del Zotto a -2
Bust!

I dunno, though it's nice to see the kids do well, I'm hoping they'll at least learn something from being burned. Afterall, we're not exactly celebrating Traverse City Tournament Championships, but are hoping they learn something, and sometimes the losses teach more then the wins. Cliche ftw!

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the team is very young, in terms of the talented players this year the the tournament.....last season players like korpikoski, staal, sauer, dubinsky and potter were the older guys who brought a lot of skill and experience......the one thing we all noticed last season, that wasnt exploited also was the poor goaltending.....this year it is magnified because of the defense and the types of players there.....last season potter, staal, sauer, sanguinetti made up for a solid top-4 who could play both ends....this season del zotto and sanguinetti are the main guys and neither of them are great in the defensive end.....this is where we will see the lack of organizational depth at goalie.....

also, the forwards are mostly very young and mostly later draft picks on this team....the highest pick at this tournament for the rangers is anisimov as cheraponov isnt present, korpikoski and jessiman cant participate and staal, sanguinetti and del zotto are all defensemen......its not putting anyone down, but there is a reason why they were drafted later on.....its because they are more projects and there is nothing wrong with that, its just they arent as naturally talented as some other players.....

looking at the lineup the team will go as far as del zotto, sanguinetti, anisimov, grachev and hillier/zaborsky take them.....its a very young group and not as skilled as some of the other teams there but the thing i like is that they didnt give up....i like that soryal fought....i like that they play with pride for the rangers....that is what is important to me......

list of prospects not playing:
cheraponov
sauer
potter
korpikoski
moore
jessiman
byers
stepan
hagelin

thats a pretty solid start to a team right there....plus the players who recently graduated:

dawes
dubinsky
callahan
staal

we are just seeing a turnover year....
You make some valid points.

Obviously we're not the same team as last years but still, I hope we don't embarass ourselves.

Oh and it looks like the Rangers NHL squad is not the only one to have trouble scoring goals

Not even 1 goal?? Jeez lol.

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Ola

This time of the year; zero attention can be paid to results et c -- almost atleast.

The players haven't been in gamelike situations in 4-5 months, there is of course allot of misstakes, bad timing and everything.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Turambar

Great to hear they lost 4-0 in the first game. So much for defending the tournament title.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:27 AM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
this season del zotto and sanguinetti are the main guys and neither of them are great in the defensive end
Hopefully its just a fluke, but I was hoping for a little improvement defensivley, from Sangs especially. I know he'll never be a defensive rock, but the HF Rangers report from a couple months ago said his defense was still suspect against OHL players. This game against prospects does not really reassure me very much. Hopefully he performs better the next game.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:44 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
Hopefully its just a fluke, but I was hoping for a little improvement defensivley, from Sangs especially. I know he'll never be a defensive rock, but the HF Rangers report from a couple months ago said his defense was still suspect against OHL players. This game against prospects does not really reassure me very much. Hopefully he performs better the next game.
Huh? He wasn't even on the ice for any of the goals against. How do you know he needs to perform better next game, when no one saw how he played?

Folks really need to stop drawing conclusions about a game none of us saw. At the end of the day, stat sheets tell very little of the story, and other than that all we have to go by (so far) is a report by the Rangers organization, which can't exactly be considered an unbiased source.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Huh? He wasn't even on the ice for any of the goals against. How do you know he needs to perform better next game, when no one saw how he played?

Folks really need to stop drawing conclusions about a game none of us saw. At the end of the day, stat sheets tell very little of the story, and other than that all we have to go by (so far) is a report by the Rangers organization, which can't exactly be considered an unbiased source.
Folks also need to stop jumping to conclusions on the other side of the argument. As a late first round draft pick, Bobby Sanguinetti does not own some sort of right of passage to the NHL. The knock on him is he needs to improve the defensive side of his game, and until the organization deems him ready there, he will not join the big club. I dont care how good his offense is.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:07 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Folks also need to stop jumping to conclusions on the other side of the argument. As a late first round draft pick, Bobby Sanguinetti does not own some sort of right of passage to the NHL. The knock on him is he needs to improve the defensive side of his game, and until the organization deems him ready there, he will not join the big club. I dont care how good his offense is.
When your +/- is even and your team didn't score a goal all game, how exactly could he have been bad? Granted two of the goals were PP goals and we don't know if he was on the ice for those, but either way, his defense couldn't have been that bad.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
When your +/- is even and your team didn't score a goal all game, how exactly could he have been bad? Granted two of the goals were PP goals and we don't know if he was on the ice for those, but either way, his defense couldn't have been that bad.
Im not talking about one game and neither should you. The knock on Sanguinetti has always been his defense/toughness. The Rangers are not going to bring up a defenseman whose not ready on the defensive side of the puck just because he possesses stellar offensive skills. With that said, Im not betting against the kid, but theres way too many people who expect him to be in a Ranger uniform this season, and thats just not gonna happen considering he still needs to improve upon the toughest part of the game to learn.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Ola

Its the first game of the season, nobody have played in 4-5 months...

You can't even remotely try to draw any conclusions from that -- if we play a half solid team, it could go either way.

Old
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM
NJrocket24

Maybe I didn't make it clear, but I was referring more to DZ than sangs on the defensive part. It's his first pro/prospect/camp experience so its not the end of the world.

Sangs, its been the knock on him for a while now, it still fits the pattern of his development. Everyone is waiting for him to take the next step in is development and step up against the competition in a big way. I'm not writing him off, but everyone is waiting on the next step.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Angels for Everyone

i think it's worth noting that a lot of the Wings players are either pro's or are about to turn...

not a lot of the players on the Wings roster are going back to junior

Old
09-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels for Everyone View Post
i think it's worth noting that a lot of the Wings players are either pro's or are about to turn...

not a lot of the players on the Wings roster are going back to junior
1st game of the season, with a bunch of kids playing to impress people in the stands -- a team with allot of very talented players could loose against a team with much less talent, or vice versa of course, but...

I didn't see the game so I got no clue what happend; but often in games like these the team playing with most creativity ends up loosing. Though at the same time; I got no clue about how good Detroits team is, they might very well have been on a diffrent planet.

Old
09-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Angels for Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
1st game of the season, with a bunch of kids playing to impress people in the stands -- a team with allot of very talented players could loose against a team with much less talent, or vice versa of course, but...

I didn't see the game so I got no clue what happend; but often in games like these the team playing with most creativity ends up loosing. Though at the same time; I got no clue about how good Detroits team is, they might very well have been on a diffrent planet.
well, it's diffuclt to tell, because the only ranger view i've read was the official site one, where as a lot of Wings media/bloggers are there...

from what they've said, the wings pretty much spent the 1st 2 periods camped in the rangers zone, but then these reports are often notoriously biased...

the fact remains though a lot of the Rangers top prospects graduated last season..

the Wings have Ritola, Axelsson, Larsson, Kindl and Kolslov who have all played professional hockey in some good leagues (RSL, SEL and AHL). You add to that Pyett, Abdelkader, Mursak, Emmerton, Ryan (possibly), all about to go into their 1st season of Pro. The Wings of this year, are like the Rangers of last year

Old
09-14-2008, 01:04 PM
TheZherdev

i was more surprised to anisimov as -2. But im not gonna draw any conclusions from a stat sheet from one freakin game.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

1 game in a prospect tournament does not a career make.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
squishy

They're not off to a great start again today. Pospisil just scored for Atlanta, 29 seconds in, unassisted.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote