HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Keenan Era

Old
09-05-2008, 10:22 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Mike Keenan Era

I was watching some old videos of flyers early to mid-80's teams and couldn't remember how the keenan era started (mccammon, quinn, keenan all runs together)...the isles were just coming of their dynasty run (start of the oilers run) and it semmed like we stepped over them at that point.

was there a major acquisition (howe), infusion of young fresh blood (tocchet, zezel, brown, hexy,eklund) or something that put keenans stamp on the team???

whatever it was that was one bad-ass team (tocchet, brown, sutters, cochrane).

does anyone remember what the start of keenan era was like???

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

You know, I can't remember. However, I will say that besides Fred Shero, Mike Keenan is probably the best coach this franchise has ever had and when they fired him, I was really, really, really upset by the move.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:33 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You know, I can't remember. However, I will say that besides Fred Shero, Mike Keenan is probably the best coach this franchise has ever had and when they fired him, I was really, really, really upset by the move.
i was honestly too young for keenan (i don't even think i was born yet).

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:50 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
Going back to the 1981-82 season, Pat Quinn was fired with about eight games left in the season. The team was struggling mightily on the defensive end and Quinn was made the scapegoat. They had shaky goaltending and subpar D that always seemed to have multiple key members hurt at any given time. In came Bob McCammon.

The Flyers, IMO, felt obligated to McCammon, who was replaced in the 1978-79 season by Quinn after a few games (McCammon wasn't ready to replace Shero). McCammon went down to the AHL and up came Quinn from the AHL. McCammon was also the object of discussion from other teams as a possible head coach and the Flyers didn't want to lose him.

Quinn had the reputation as a player's coach but oftentimes they took advantage of that. In one of McCammon's first practices, he waived Reggie Leach for being late to a practice.

McCammon got more power in the Flyers organization as time went on and Keith Allen's role changed. McCammon got a job offer from (Pittsburgh?) and again the Flyers wanted to keep him, at the time, so he got the title of GM in addition to head coach in the summer of 1983.

McCammon had excellent drafts in his tenure (Derrick Smith, Rick Tocchet, Peter Zezel, etc.) but the team went 1-9 in three PO seasons (back when there was the Best of Five format). McCammon employed a scout by the name of Sam McMaster who was very familiar with the OHL (GM of Sudbury and SSM, I think). So, his knowledge and adept picks aided the Flyers down the line.

But with the brutal struggles for three straight years in the POs, out went McCammon as coach GM and was replaced by Clarke (GM) and Mike Keenan (coach). Pelle Lindbergh was finally gaining consistency under McCammon, though not at the level that he flourished under Keenan.

The D went through a metamorphosis over the years in the early 1980s: Howe was the obvious talent on D but Brad Marsh was a steadying influence. McCrimmon for Pete Peeters (summer 1982) was an excellent trade for both Philly and Boston and it opened the door for Lindbergh. Behn Wilson was traded for Doug Crossman, a move that paid off as Crossman was a decent, even though a bit inconsistent, player (summer of 1983) and had different skills than Wilson. Keenan played those four as much as humanly possible and got everything out of them in the 1984-85 season -- Dvorak and Erikkson rounded out the D but they never held Keenan's fascination.

Tim Kerr came into his own as a player, too. He doesn't get enough credit as a true great and he was unstoppable on the PP when he was healthy. A hall-of-fame if he was healthy, IMO. Other players like Sinisalo and Eklund (a year later) were developing. Poulin was a stud.

Over time, McCammon ruffled the vets especially Clarke and Barber. At one point, he suggested Barber, Clarke and Sittler to take mini-vacations (miss 4-5 games) to get ready for the playoffs and while Barber was on a hiatus, working out, suffered knee damage and never played again.

So, the parts were there but somewhat disjointed until Clarke became GM and Keenan the head coach for 1984-85. The rookies Smith, Tocchet and Zezel were part of the team called the Baby Bullies -- joined by seven(?) second-year players. It was a tough team not to like. Right before the season opener, the captain Sittler was dealt to Detroit for Murray Craven (key player) and Joe Paterson (a Keenan favorite who shined in the 1985 playoffs, especially against Quebec as I recall).

Of course, Propp was still there and playing some of his best hockey. But Lindbergh was everything the reports said he could be. He was simply fantastic.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-06-2008 at 01:05 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 02:32 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Sam McMaster - there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember when he was the GM in Los Angeles. He was absolutely brutal. He was never a good NHL GM, but he was a very good GM in junior, especially in Sudbury.

Old
09-06-2008, 07:38 AM
jb**

when they fired hitch they offered the job to keenan but he wanted to be gm as well snider wisely said no. would have been ncie to have him as coach again though.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
when they fired hitch they offered the job to keenan but he wanted to be gm as well snider wisely said no. would have been ncie to have him as coach again though.
For as much flack that Keenan receives, he would have been a great fit back in Philadelphia. The guy is fabulous with young players and he has a proven track record in Philadelphia. As a GM, he's not a very good GM and we should be thankful Snider said no.

Old
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Sam McMaster - there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember when he was the GM in Los Angeles. He was absolutely brutal. He was never a good NHL GM, but he was a very good GM in junior, especially in Sudbury.
I think he is with Columbus now, has (was) been for a while.

Old
09-06-2008, 01:46 PM
jb**

Quote:
For as much flack that Keenan receives, he would have been a great fit back in Philadelphia. The guy is fabulous with young players and he has a proven track record in Philadelphia. As a GM, he's not a very good GM and we should be thankful Snider said no.
they would be much much better with him as coach obviously. people dont understand that about keenan, yes he loves vets but if your good enough as a rookie he will play you. he is a good teacher. i really hope stevens learned from his sad sack mistakes which wher so bad and obvious. i wont hold my breath though. if they struggle out of the gate will he get canned. there are some good coaches unemployed hwo would love to coach here.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 06:48 PM
lancer247

Quote:
The D went through a metamorphosis over the years in the early 1980s: Howe was the obvious talent on D but Brad Marsh was a steadying influence. McCrimmon for Pete Peeters (summer 1982) was an excellent trade for both Philly and Boston and it opened the door for Lindbergh. Behn Wilson was traded for Doug Crossman, a move that paid off as Crossman was a decent, even though a bit inconsistent, player (summer of 1983) and had different skills than Wilson. Keenan played those four as much as humanly possible and got everything out of them in the 1984-85 season -- Dvorak and Erikkson rounded out the D but they never held Keenan's fascination.

Tim Kerr came into his own as a player, too. He doesn't get enough credit as a true great and he was unstoppable on the PP when he was healthy. A hall-of-fame if he was healthy, IMO. Other players like Sinisalo and Eklund (a year later) were developing. Poulin was a stud.
thanks...great insight.

i never understood the behn wilson trade at the time. he seemed like a keenan player...some skills and tough as nails. it wasn't until much later that i heard wilson was difficult to coach.

i forgot we got brown from EDM for berube? that was a fun team to watch...i wish kerr was 100% ...i agree he is underrated...i argue w/ my family in beantown that think neely was god...

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-06-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old
09-06-2008, 07:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
thanks...great insight.

i never understood the behn wilson trade at the time. he seemed like a keenan player...some skills and tough as nails. it wasn't until much later that i heard wilson was difficult to coach.

i forgot we got brown from EDM for berube? that was a fun team to watch...i wish kerr was 100% ...i agree he is underrated...i argue w/ my family in beantown that think neely was god...

Wilson was traded a full year prior to Keenan. Plus, the Flyers got a pick from Chicago which was used to draft Scott Mellanby. Crossman and Marsh were a good pair. Marsh was a terrific shot-blocker. Crossman had good abilities on the offensive end but as time passed he and Keenan had a strained relationship.

Old
09-07-2008, 06:09 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Wilson was traded a full year prior to Keenan. Plus, the Flyers got a pick from Chicago which was used to draft Scott Mellanby. Crossman and Marsh were a good pair. Marsh was a terrific shot-blocker. Crossman had good abilities on the offensive end but as time passed he and Keenan had a strained relationship.
i remember a sports illustrated (?) article thatcalled him the human tripod...it was title the king of clutch and grab, i think.

Old
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
i remember a sports illustrated (?) article thatcalled him the human tripod...it was title the king of clutch and grab, i think.
There are worse things to be called.

He wasn't the most skilled player but he missed only four games after this hit. Everyone should have his desire. This isn't the best clip (1:00 in) but it was an ugly scene especially to see live:

Old
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There are worse things to be called.

He wasn't the most skilled player but he missed only four games after this hit. Everyone should have his desire. This isn't the best clip (1:00 in) but it was an ugly scene especially to see live:

what is amazing about that video is that stevens was knockin people out back then in the same fashion...catch the guy cutting across the ice an anihilate 'em...you could the face of lindros, langkow, kariya, bassen, francis, etc on that clip because they all went down the same way...

back to the flyers...i hate to play what if with one of the games greatest franchises (oilers) but damn i wish we had a healthy kerr for that series

Old
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
what is amazing about that video is that stevens was knockin people out back then in the same fashion...catch the guy cutting across the ice an anihilate 'em...you could the face of lindros, langkow, kariya, bassen, francis, etc on that clip because they all went down the same way...

back to the flyers...i hate to play what if with one of the games greatest franchises (oilers) but damn i wish we had a healthy kerr for that series
1985 -- Kerr/McCrimmon were two huge losses to overcome. Both were top five players for that team at the time.

1987 -- Impossible to predict, so many times that team should have lost prior to Game 7 and they somehow battled their way onto the next game.

1989 is a year often overlooked for Kerr's injury because he played in all games. He was unstoppable until Jim Johnson of Pittsburgh slashed him and broke his hand/finger.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-14-2008 at 12:44 PM.