HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gillett was inside Anfield watching his first match of the season

Old
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Gillett was inside Anfield watching his first match of the season

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...wez5gHE4Tgie0Q

Liverpool fans demonstrate against American owners

9 hours ago

LIVERPOOL, England — In a sea of red rage, Liverpool fans marched on Anfield on Saturday chanting "Yanks out" in a renewed push to oust the club's loathed American owners.

More than 2,000 disgruntled supporters carried flags and posters saying "Liars out" through the streets before Liverpool's highest-profile fixture of the season against Manchester United.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Garo

Ah, dear old Motherland.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Namso

apparently gillett had agreed to sell his stock to the DIC, but Hicks blocked it.

Seems pretty clear that Gillett wants out of Liverpool. I hope everything works out for all parties involved.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Why exactly do the fans hate them?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I really think it has more to do with Hicks.

It has been a terrible partnership since the start. I think Gillett takes a lot more heat for all this stuff then he deserves.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Because they are Liverpool fans and so such obnoxious behaviour comes naturally to them.

I believe most of the dislike is tied into what GG and Hicks said when they were shaping up to buy the club. Liverpool need/want a new stadium and they said when they bought the team that they would help finance the move to a new ground. Plans are in place but they just can't afford it right now, which is impacting on said plans. As a result, a number of fans are very annoyed with the owners. I think that is the main reason.

Other, I believe lesser reasons include:

- Some fans are unhappy that the owners don't get on and draw attention off the pitch. Also that they don't get on so well with the board members.

- There are some fans who expected them to throw more money into the transfer market to get the players the manager wants. The fans are firmly behind the manager for the most part so when the owners refused to pay £18 million for Gareth Barry (for example), the fans side with the manager and not the owners. I believe they have stumped up significant funds for some transfers but a few fans seem to expect a more free spending approach. Best to ask a Liverpool fan for the details of their expenses though, I only pay attention to part of what happens on that side of Stanley Park, the other side is of far greater interest to me.

I think those are some of the main points for reds fans disapproval of the owners, but I'm sure some liverpool fans here like Hackett can give a more detailed and accurate account of the situation.

The BBC commentator at the game yesterday suggested GG should go to Anfield more often if the team ends up playing like that. Not sure the fans would soften their approach towards him even if he did and the team kept on winning. I expect almost all credit would go to Rafa, whether deserved or not.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:59 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Because Hicks is a moron. One of the things he wanted to do was fire the people currently running Liverpool to bring in his own people, which Gillett was against ..

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 08:57 AM
JrHockeyFan

It's a very unreasonable situation. Almost a no win situation from the start.

Hicks is being a jerk. Some of the fans are being jerks too.

Unfortunately for GG he is saddled with Hicks and it is hard to get out of the agreement without his cooperation. That has been rare

Hopefully GG can extricate himself from the mess

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Mustafa*

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:37 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Can someone tell me what they are chanting?
I hear Yanks Out
Get our of our Club???
What else?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

its a pretty scary situation. Somehow, Gillette's family phone number got leaked out and he started receiving death threats towards himself and his family.

Gillette actually wanted out after Hicks backed out on some promises he made in terms of funding on a new building. One of the options was for Gillette to sell the entire stake in the club to Hicks, and this is where all the serious threats aimed at Gillette originated. The last thing Liverpool fans wanted was for Hicks to get more power.

Gillette also said they had talks with another group that was interested in buying the club (from the middle east), but Hicks blocked the deal. So basically, Hicks backed out on some promises he made to the fans, and he's not prepared to sell the team either.

Gillette has hinted at ways where he could acquire all of Hicks' shares but even Gillette cant afford everything in this world. It would take alot of work, luck and creativity to get that done.

One thing is for sure, Hicks is the real problem in this ownership group. Some of the fans dont like Gillette, but they absolutely despise Hicks.

Anyways, lets talk about the actual game on the pitch! I'm still glowing after my boys just took it to United

Mascherano

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Can someone tell me what they are chanting?
I hear Yanks Out
Get our of our Club???
What else?
You lying basterds

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 01:30 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Because they are Liverpool fans and so such obnoxious behaviour comes naturally to them.

I believe most of the dislike is tied into what GG and Hicks said when they were shaping up to buy the club. Liverpool need/want a new stadium and they said when they bought the team that they would help finance the move to a new ground. Plans are in place but they just can't afford it right now, which is impacting on said plans. As a result, a number of fans are very annoyed with the owners. I think that is the main reason.

Other, I believe lesser reasons include:

- Some fans are unhappy that the owners don't get on and draw attention off the pitch. Also that they don't get on so well with the board members.

- There are some fans who expected them to throw more money into the transfer market to get the players the manager wants. The fans are firmly behind the manager for the most part so when the owners refused to pay £18 million for Gareth Barry (for example), the fans side with the manager and not the owners. I believe they have stumped up significant funds for some transfers but a few fans seem to expect a more free spending approach. Best to ask a Liverpool fan for the details of their expenses though, I only pay attention to part of what happens on that side of Stanley Park, the other side is of far greater interest to me.

I think those are some of the main points for reds fans disapproval of the owners, but I'm sure some liverpool fans here like Hackett can give a more detailed and accurate account of the situation.

The BBC commentator at the game yesterday suggested GG should go to Anfield more often if the team ends up playing like that. Not sure the fans would soften their approach towards him even if he did and the team kept on winning. I expect almost all credit would go to Rafa, whether deserved or not.
this, my friend, is the very source of the problem.

New ownership, but the same coach stays because the fans LOVED him. We are talking about a coach that gave Liverpool the Champions league title a couple of years ago. Rafa has been critisized because of his bloody rotation policy... which is obviously crap. He lined up a different team for 93 consecutive premiere league games... using his depth, but failling to create a bond between certain core players... which is the thing that makes the difference at the highest level.

Besides, Rafa's management of the transfert founds is highly questionable...

dirk kuyt - 15m +

Jermaine pennant - 5m +

peter crouch - 15 m +

Benayoun-5-7m +

Kewel - 10 m +

and so on... instead of adding 2 or 3 quality players to the squad, he decided to create a lot of depth... which isn't a bad thing, but only if you have secured a strong 11 starters ... which wasn't the case.

his only! good move, was fernando torres... whatever he paid for him. (30m E ?)

The word went out that benitez wasn't able to bring in A players... he kept spending money on B players paid at a high price.... ex: benayoun was the best player on his former team, and this is why they wouldn't let him go for cheap... but benitez insisted...

new owner came in (gillet, hicks) and they were reluctant in giving Benitez milions to work with... They openly said Benitez wasn't their man ... Benitez openly critisized the owners , and since he was a fan favorite at the club, the new owners popularity dropped....

a week later, gillet and hicks tried to convince Ramos to come to liverpool, but Benitez heard the news, and flamed again, generating a wave of frustration among the fans...

Even from the start, an american takeover of liverpool wasn't like a dream come true among liverpool fans... they were against the idea of a foreign takeover...

the truth is... Benitez always ''challenged'' in the champions league because of the depth he had on his team... But since there was always a bit of quality missing, he never succeeded in challenging at home in the premiere league and that is what the fans now want, and what gillet and hicks want....

Benitez Owes his fortune to guys like Carragher, Gerrard and Riise... guys that play above their responsabilities to earn late winners ... out of magical plays... sometimes lucky... he plays a very defensive orriented game and hopes guys like gerrard and torres can work their magic...

with that philosophy you cant win IMO ... you can be within 10 pts of the leader at the end of the season, but you can't have more than 5 or 6 0-0 draw without asking yourself some questions...

He must win the premier league or mount a serious challenge in order to keep his job... and if he does that, his weight at the club is going to be bigger than those of gillet and hicks...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:34 PM
hickles46

Being a huge Liverpool fan, i should know what's going on
Basically, when GG and TH agreed to buy the club, they promised us a new stadium, new players(which they have kinda provided), not to take the club into any sort of debt and to turn liverpool into the top team once again. None of these have happened, except for the buying of a few players. The team is in a bit of debt i believe, the new stadium was pushed back for ages, then again for lack of funds and once again recently. Following a string of disapointing defeats for Liverpool, GG and TH (mainly TH according to the media) were trying desperatly to oust the manager, who has been successful at Liverpool and everywhere he has gone. This was not popular amongst the fans, as we see the manager as a successful and world class one. TH went behind everyone's backs and interviewed a new manager and everything!

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote