HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eklund Rumor: Mega Deal in the Works+

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
  #51
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster81 View Post
i'm really not trying to start anything here, but i am curious. How many of u have actually seen the Sedins' play more than 5 games...

and some people are saying Gomez for both of them?
i never said Gomez for both. i said Gomez, Prucha and a 2nd would be fair IMO. seeing as how you would get the best player in the trade.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
  #52
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Gomez is a much faster player, plays a North-South style which we are adapting, he is good defensively and is great at faceoffs. its unbelievable of how Overrated the Sedins are getting.
The Sedins are also good defensively. They aren't fast skaters but are great at controlling the puck. To suggest Gomez is better than either Sedin is simply foolish. To suggest that a package of Gomez and Prucha could land the Sedins is downright nutty.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:55 PM
  #53
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
The Sedins are also good defensively. They aren't fast skaters but are great at controlling the puck. To suggest Gomez is better than either Sedin is simply foolish. To suggest that a package of Gomez and Prucha could land the Sedins is downright nutty.
You dont think Gomez a blue chip prospect in Sanguenetti, former 30 goal scorer in prucha and a 2nd rounder could land both Sedins?

__________________
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction."
Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:57 PM
  #54
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 50
maybe if we put in rosival and a 1st rounder and we take ohlund also.

sedins, ohlund for prucha, gomez, rosival, 1st rounder

wouldnt be THAT bad but id much rather

sedins, ohlund for prucha, drury, rosival, moore/1st rounder

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:57 PM
  #55
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
The Sedins are also good defensively. They aren't fast skaters but are great at controlling the puck. To suggest Gomez is better than either Sedin is simply foolish. To suggest that a package of Gomez and Prucha could land the Sedins is downright nutty.
For our team it would be retarded to trade Gomez+ for Sedins seeing as how we are trying to adapt into a new system based on Gomez' qualities.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
  #56
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
You dont think Gomez a blue chip prospect in Sanguenetti, former 30 goal scorer in prucha and a 2nd rounder could land both Sedins?
Prucha hasn't scored 30 goals for three seasons, he's on a steady decline and his value isn't close to that of a 30 goal scorer. His value at this point is no greater than Taylor Pyatt's. As for the rest of the offer, moving both Sedins, who have stated they are willing to re-sign at a discount, for Gomez, who is severely overpaid, and a prospect and a pick makes zero sense from a Canucks' POV. This improves the Canucks' offense how?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
  #57
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
For our team it would be retarded to trade Gomez+ for Sedins seeing as how we are trying to adapt into a new system based on Gomez' qualities.
Fantastic. Keep Gomez and the Canucks will keep the Sedins. Works for me. How did this silly Sedins to New York BS start anyway?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:04 PM
  #58
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Prucha hasn't scored 30 goals for three seasons, he's on a steady decline and his value isn't close to that of a 30 goal scorer. His value at this point is no greater than Taylor Pyatt's. As for the rest of the offer, moving both Sedins, who have stated they are willing to re-sign at a discount, for Gomez, who is severely overpaid, and a prospect and a pick makes zero sense from a Canucks' POV. This improves the Canucks' offense how?
Gomez is the equivilant of one of I believe Henrik sedin more of an assist type, Prucha has been injured and has had his power play time cut down to none, given the chance he could easily hit 20-30 again, Sanguenetti is a great offensive defenseman prospect... ok, so make it a first round pick instead of a second?

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:06 PM
  #59
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Shanahan signing imminent?

Gee I wonder if that's because he's been practicing with the team.... Eklund unearths another gem

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
  #60
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Fantastic. Keep Gomez and the Canucks will keep the Sedins. Works for me. How did this silly Sedins to New York BS start anyway?
Call it a deal? i dont even know

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
  #61
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Gomez is the equivilant of one of I believe Henrik sedin more of an assist type, Prucha has been injured and has had his power play time cut down to none, given the chance he could easily hit 20-30 again, Sanguenetti is a great offensive defenseman prospect... ok, so make it a first round pick instead of a second?
It still doesn't make any sense for the Canucks. They need to be adding offense to the Sedins, not moving them for an equivalent player(Gomez) a downgrade(Prucha) and picks/prospects. It makes no sense. Would the Rangers trade Gomez and Zherdev for a playmaking 1st line center, a struggling winger and a pick and prospect?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
  #62
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
It still doesn't make any sense for the Canucks. They need to be adding offense to the Sedins, not moving them for an equivalent player(Gomez) a downgrade(Prucha) and picks/prospects. It makes no sense. Would the Rangers trade Gomez and Zherdev for a playmaking 1st line center, a struggling winger and a pick and prospect?
i see what your saying. you wont trade them because your trying to add players to play with them and build around them.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
  #63
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
It still doesn't make any sense for the Canucks. They need to be adding offense to the Sedins, not moving them for an equivalent player(Gomez) a downgrade(Prucha) and picks/prospects. It makes no sense. Would the Rangers trade Gomez and Zherdev for a playmaking 1st line center, a struggling winger and a pick and prospect?
When you put it that way you have a very valid point.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:28 PM
  #64
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
So let's see how these things might get started

I could see the Rangers being interested in Bieska. Canucks counter that they want Sanguinetti in return. Hard to tell for sure if Vancouver would really want to trade Bieska, so they might be shooting a bit high for a guy who's coming off some major surgery. With the loss of Bourdon, they also might not be as quick to trade some defensive depth at the moment. Rangers might not want to give up Sanguinetti, but that's what you do...throw some proposals around, see what you get.

Someone gets wind of this, remembers "hey someone said that the Rangers wanted to trade Gomez to Vancouver, maybe he's part of the deal and it's going to be big!"

Rumor gains legs based off part fact, part BS.

I'm completely speculating. Just an idea on how these things might get started

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
  #65
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
So let's see how these things might get started

I could see the Rangers being interested in Bieska. Canucks counter that they want Sanguinetti in return. Hard to tell for sure if Vancouver would really want to trade Bieska, so they might be shooting a bit high for a guy who's coming off some major surgery. With the loss of Bourdon, they also might not be as quick to trade some defensive depth at the moment. Rangers might not want to give up Sanguinetti, but that's what you do...throw some proposals around, see what you get.

Someone gets wind of this, remembers "hey someone said that the Rangers wanted to trade Gomez to Vancouver, maybe he's part of the deal and it's going to be big!"

Rumor gains legs based off part fact, part BS.

I'm completely speculating. Just an idea on how these things might get started
Just a little more than that Levitate. Shanahan working out with the team. As well Sundin's status--which the Canadians bringing in Lang from Detroit tonight and Gainey saying that they will no longer pursue Sundin might (if you like) lead some to suspect that something might be in the works for Sundin going elsewhere and soon. The Rangers will have to make moves whether they're big ones or not to get under the cap. I think something is in the works. It may take a couple weeks and it may or may not be with Vancouver but I don't see what we have now being the team we start the season with. By the way I don't see either or both Sedin's coming here at least not for the players mentioned above.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
  #66
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
They're under the cap now, they don't need to make any moves. If they want to sign Shanahan, then yeah they will.

We have no clue how seriously the Rangers may be looking at Sundin. Even if they are interested, and know they need to move a big contract to sign him, they may be of mind to only do it if they can get a good return for that big contract. They don't HAVE to move anyone right now. There's absolutely no need to trade someone like Gomez for anything less than decent value. Especially no need to throw in a top prospect as well.

I highly doubt the Rangers let themselves get screwed in a deal just to acquire Sundin.

Be honest. We're working off extremely vague information that's in no way been vetted as correct. We're also getting very close to training camp and the start of the season, so if something doesn't happen now, I doubt it happens.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:02 PM
  #67
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Let's look at this from a logical stand point:

Since the Rangers aren't getting both the Sedins, why in the world would they trade Gomez, who is better than either one? Either Sedin might put up similar numbers, but they both seem to disappear in the playoffs. Gomez has 70 points in his last 88 playoff games, where as the Sedins have a total of 38 in a combined 86 games (yes I was bored, and hopefully that's correct). You can't just disregard something like this. Also, who the heck knows if one of them can produce as well without the other

As for Bieksa, we are already loaded on defense at this point. Not sure why the Rangers would want to go out and start bargaining for another one when they don't need one at this point in time.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:34 PM
  #68
BklyNYR4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
man, we're so due for the season to start.

yeah?

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
  #69
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,299
vCash: 500
Eklund is a fool, but some of the nonsense in this thread rivals even Eklunds own garbage. Gomez better than the combined efforts of the Sedins?

Bieksa is a pretty good d-man. He has a good offensive upside (scores goals from the red line! ), likes to drop the mitts and will throw his body around. He'd be a nice asset on the blue line, but not really that 'key piece' we're looking for.

Frankly I don't see the two teams as good trading partners. If Edmonton got involved, then the options could become more logical, but I still think it's Eklund just spewing nonsense for more hits. We're going to trade our #1 center AND our best offensive defensemen prospect to clear cap space for a guy who we might get two seasons out of AND resign a guy for a 'limited role' and his 'intangibles' that he brings? Start the season already.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
  #70
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Eklund is a fool, but some of the nonsense in this thread rivals even Eklunds own garbage. Gomez better than the combined efforts of the Sedins?

Bieksa is a pretty good d-man. He has a good offensive upside (scores goals from the red line! ), likes to drop the mitts and will throw his body around. He'd be a nice asset on the blue line, but not really that 'key piece' we're looking for.

Frankly I don't see the two teams as good trading partners. If Edmonton got involved, then the options could become more logical, but I still think it's Eklund just spewing nonsense for more hits. We're going to trade our #1 center AND our best offensive defensemen prospect to clear cap space for a guy who we might get two seasons out of AND resign a guy for a 'limited role' and his 'intangibles' that he brings? Start the season already.
Hopefully you are not referring to my post, since I never stated that.

I do agree with everything else though. We aren't good trading partners with Vancouver

**** you Eklund

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
  #71
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Eklund is a fool, but some of the nonsense in this thread rivals even Eklunds own garbage. Gomez better than the combined efforts of the Sedins?

Bieksa is a pretty good d-man. He has a good offensive upside (scores goals from the red line! ), likes to drop the mitts and will throw his body around. He'd be a nice asset on the blue line, but not really that 'key piece' we're looking for.

Frankly I don't see the two teams as good trading partners. If Edmonton got involved, then the options could become more logical, but I still think it's Eklund just spewing nonsense for more hits. We're going to trade our #1 center AND our best offensive defensemen prospect to clear cap space for a guy who we might get two seasons out of AND resign a guy for a 'limited role' and his 'intangibles' that he brings? Start the season already.
if you are refering to my post, i never said Gomez is better than the Sedins combine, i said Gomez > Henrik or Daniel Sedin

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:06 PM
  #72
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Hopefully you are not referring to my post, since I never stated that.

I do agree with everything else though. We aren't good trading partners with Vancouver

**** you Eklund
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
if you are refering to my post, i never said Gomez is better than the Sedins combine, i said Gomez > Henrik or Daniel Sedin
I skimmed the thread, most of it was crap, so I apologize for that mistake. However, my point still stands.

Gomez could be better than Henrik Sedin, but right now they're dead even. In fact, I'd probably give a slight offensive edge to Henrik Sedin. The only real bonus Gomez has head-to-head is that he plays with a bit of sandpaper in his game, while Henrik Sedin isn't known for his toughness (as far as I've heard anyway). Couple that with the fact that Gomez is better suited for the style of game Renney claims he wants to implement, and he gets the nod in my book.

I think it's dumb to compare Daniel Sedin to Gomez as one is a goal scorer, and the other is a play maker.

This would have made sense if Jagr was still the focus of the team. In fact, I think Sedin - Sedin - Jagr would have been absolute magic.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
  #73
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think it's dumb to compare Daniel Sedin to Gomez as one is a goal scorer, and the other is a play maker.
This goal scorer you speak of has 5 goals in 43 playoff games.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:40 PM
  #74
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
This goal scorer you speak of has 5 goals in 43 playoff games.
The Sedins definitely need to take their post-season play to the next level, that's their biggest knock at this stage. But their first 4 post-seasons(33GP) they were the Canucks' 2nd/3rd line and were averaging around 13-15 min/game with little PP time. Their last post-season performance, their 1st as the "top line" with no secondary scoring, they played one series against a virtually unbeatable Marty Turco and the 2nd series against the eventual cup winners who also shut down the Sens' top line in the finals. They definitely have to work on their post-season performance, but they've also only had one post-season as the go to line. It will be interesting to see how they perform the next time they are in the post-season.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
  #75
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Just about everyone is off base here. If (and please underline IF) there is a salary dump deal here to allow a Sundin signing, it is almost certainly Roszival and Prucha heading to Vancouver, Los Angeles or somewhere else for a draft choice and a high quality, low salary player. Gomez ain't going anywhere.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.