HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rissmiller

Old
09-15-2008, 03:34 AM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Rissmiller

Since we have a who is Vooroos thread, I thought I would start a similar thread for Rissmiller.

Who is he & what can we expect from him?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 04:26 AM
D713B

This has basically been discussed in multiple threads, especially the ones discussing the depth or surplus of 3rd/4th line types. SJ fans chimed in when we first signed him in the original thread about his signing.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=rissmiller

I know that thread is old but the info about his style of play is accurate and frankly so are all the speculations regarding about where he and others fit in with the Rangers now and in the future.

Here's another thread from the SJ board where a Rangers fan inquired about what to expect from Rissmiller.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=rissmiller

Last edited by D713B: 09-15-2008 at 04:36 AM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:29 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Hartford...too expensive and not good enough to be on the 4th line over guys like Callahan, Sjostrom, and Voros.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:13 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Hartford...too expensive and not good enough to be on the 4th line over guys like Callahan, Sjostrom, and Voros.

Why was he signed than? Replacement for someone Sather thought he wasn't gonna be able to re-sign?

Old
09-15-2008, 11:21 AM
NYR Viper

he looks more like an insurance policy than anything else right now....although if the sundin rumors are true then we might see some of the depth traded which could open a spot for rissmiller.....

he would add some size and offensive ability to the 4th line but that is betts' spot and rissmiller would have to show a lot in order to take it from him

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

He's a depth move no doubt.

Its tough to see where this guy fits, especially if they sign Shanahan.

If they don't its realistic he'll rotate in and out of the 4th but thats no guarantee either. This was a bit of a confusing move by Sather. But he can kill penalties, hes a big guy (though he doesnt use the size as much as a team would like) and he's got better hands then Hollweg. (who doesnt?)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Its tough to see where this guy fits, especially if they sign Shanahan.

If they don't its realistic he'll rotate in and out of the 4th but thats no guarantee either. This was a bit of a confusing move by Sather. But he can kill penalties, hes a big guy (though he doesnt use the size as much as a team would like) and he's got better hands then Hollweg. (who doesnt?)
I think it is obvious he will get 4th line minutes and be a Energy player........PLUS if Betts goes down to another injury he is the 4th line C and a good PK guy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
NYR Viper

like i said, i think rissmiller was signed more as a stop-gap in case he couldnt pull off a move for zherdev+fritsche and couldnt sign a naslund......he would move to the third line and center that line with dubi moving up.........however sather was able to pull off those deals which either means sather will let him go or make a trade to either move him or make room for him....becuase 1 million sitting on the bench just doesnt make much sense

Old
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
He would appear to be a depth player but he's not being paid as such.

I don't know where he fits. Then again, I'm not sure where Vorros, Orr, Korpikoski, Sjostrom and possibly even Betts do either. Add in the likes of Jessiman, Byers and even Jamtin and there is seemingly a lot of redundancy. And certainly a lot of questions.

09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I don't know where he fits. Then again, I'm not sure where Vorros, Orr, Korpikoski, Sjostrom and possibly even Betts do either. Add in the likes of Jessiman, Byers and even Jamtin and there is seemingly a lot of redundancy. And certainly a lot of questions.
Wheres the expansion draft when you need one?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Rissmiller and Voros' signings were truly perplexing this offseason. When it comes to organizational talent at forward, I thought 3rd/4th liners was where the most depth could be found...then we sign these 2 for more depth?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
agreed

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:32 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

There are good & bad points, if they are steady in there roles as PKers & checkers that's great, if they continue the trend of scoring 5 to 7 goals a year that's the bad side.

Old
09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Hes Big but doesnt take the body, but is a good Pk'er.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Block More Shots

A decent grinder...simply a depth player.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Edge

Quote:

That about sums it up for me.

Voros I could understand, but not the length of the deal.

Rissmiller, was just one of those "Okaay..." moves.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Rissmiller and Voros' signings were truly perplexing this offseason. When it comes to organizational talent at forward, I thought 3rd/4th liners was where the most depth could be found...then we sign these 2 for more depth?
I totally agree. When I saw that we signed these guys before any one else I wondered what planet Sather was on. Everyone expected the depth to come from Hartford that had a very good season last year but instead Sather replaced guys like Straka, Avery and Hollweg with Rissmiller and Voros instead of letting young players like Jamtin, Dane Byers, Korpikoski or Parenteau get an opportunity. I cannot see us sending either Voros or Rissmiller down to Hartford so those young players will have to toil down at the AHL level for at least another half a season. And I think that sucks.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:00 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

he was signed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Why was he signed than? Replacement for someone Sather thought he wasn't gonna be able to re-sign?
He was signed in case the kids in camp couldn't cut it.

It was as win win situation.

If they don't make the team, then they are pretty good players they can develop a bit more or use in trades.

If they make the team, it gives the prospects another year to develop.

If you have to pay for Depth, so be it.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post

If you have to pay for Depth, so be it.
To some extent, but I don't think you commit $2-million dollars and multiple years to depth in a salary capped world and in one where you're going right to the cap limit.

Old
09-20-2008, 08:29 AM
NYR Viper

i dont think voros and rismiller are in the same boat.........considering voros was signed for 3 seasons i think they want him to replace some of the tenacity that avery and hollweg left and rissmiller IMO was signed more as insurance if the rangers couldnt make a trade like the tyutin and backman for zherdev and fritsche and sign naslund...without those three players rissmiller would most likely be a top-6 on this team

Old
09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont think voros and rismiller are in the same boat.........considering voros was signed for 3 seasons i think they want him to replace some of the tenacity that avery and hollweg left and rissmiller IMO was signed more as insurance if the rangers couldnt make a trade like the tyutin and backman for zherdev and fritsche and sign naslund...without those three players rissmiller would most likely be a top-6 on this team
Problem is I don't think it's a move you make on the first day of free agency.

It's one thing to have insurance, it's another thing to go out and dedicate $2-million to two fourth line players who based on their accomplishments should not be considered "givens" at this point in time. On top of that, it's usually not the first move you make within the first hours of free agency.

Old
09-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Baumer582

I went to Holy Cross and was actually a play-by-play broadcaster for them for 3 years while Rissmiller was there (he graduated when I was a junior). He led the league in scoring once and was easily our best forward...

Now, he won't score much in the pros, even though he was fairly good in the AHL. What you can expect is a guy who can kill penalties, is strong in both zones, and is hard to knock off the puck. Basically, he's the perfect fourth line player, and is certainly a HUGE improvement over that waste of life Ryan Hollwegg.

Unfortunately for Rissmiller, the team is loaded with good role players, so he will have a battle ahead of him. I believe he will make the team and be their starting 4th line winger, but will take a seat against teams like Philly to put Orr, Voros, and the other tough guys into the lineup. Personally, I think he was a good signing, but would've been a much better signing at $600K instead of 3 years at 3 mil.

Baumer582 is offline   Reply With Quote