HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Win a Stanley Cup for Saku

Old
09-15-2008, 08:00 AM
David

vCash: 500
Win a Stanley Cup for Saku

According to latest issue of The Hockey News, Saku Koivu is the longest serving Montreal Canadien without ever hoisting the Cup.

I believe that this is largely due to the ineffective management of CH in the last 15 years or so.

However, Bob has now positioned the club for a great shot at the Cup...and just in time for the 100th year anniversary. And I also see that Bob is surrounding the team with winners to inject the winning mentallity into the club (making amends with Roy, Carbo for coach, Captain Kirk, etc), which the team and the fans have been lacking during that 15 year stretch!

Winning begets winning.

...and I for one believe that raising that #33 banner in Nov. will give Carey Price and the rest of the team goosebumps and more importantly, an extra boost in their psyche to help them become champions!

Winning begets winning!

So Bob has done all the right things in the last couple of years to position the team for that all elusive Cup this year.

Now it'll be up to the players and the coaches and the FANS to do their part.

So let's go win that CUP for Saku and wipe that disgusting grin off the face of the Leaf fan, disguised as hockey reporters at the Hockey News, that wrote this article!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Habitants

i agree! but They have much more to play for this season than Saku, who has given very much to this organisation. The players must do their best to give a performance for everyone, for themselves for management, for the fans everywhere who show their great support and for the former great players of the Canadiens, in celebrations of their glorious 100year history!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:17 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The guy deserves it. And I think the team wants to win. Badly.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
i agree! but They have much more to play for this season than Saku, who has given very much to this organisation. The players must do their best to give a performance for everyone, for themselves for management, for the fans everywhere who show their great support and for the former great players of the Canadiens, in celebrations of their glorious 100year history!

Agreed.

What I meant was more in the vein of let's win the Cup for #18 Denis Savard during our '93 Cup run (or win one for Lucky Luc in Motown, or win one for Ray Bourque in Colorado, etc...I think that you get the idea.)

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:29 AM
marchabsfan

if were lucky, maybe he'll win one for us too. winner-winner situation.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The guy deserves it. And I think the team wants to win. Badly.
Saku really deserve it. He's a warrior, a real one.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 09:08 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Well, for starters, maybe some Jaune-alists shouldn't replay their old tape about trading Saku comes January. Every year, every time the guy has a mini slump, they start again: no leadership, not big enough, doesn't speak FOUR languages...I mean chatte de phoque up!!! WTF!

This year is all about winning, and to win, it always help to have a story, something to push the players a little further. I agree with the OT Saku might be it. Win it for him, win it for the 100th, win it to prove the haters wrong...

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Well... Saku is a warrior and all... But if he really wants the cup this year, the least would be not to say he will not win it this year as soon as september this time, and to focus on this goal. As team captain, he has a huge role to play in an eventual cup conquest.

I agree that it would be nice to see him lift the cup, but stop telling me "win a cup for Saku"... he has to earn it, like every other single player on this team.

Lang has never won a cup.
Hamrlik has never won a cup.
Laraque has never won a cup.

Anyway, you get my point.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Montreal is a better team on paper this year, and they should give us a very exciting product to watch in the regular season. But I still dont see this team in that top class of cup contenders. Fortunately, only one team can come out of the west so that knocks out the lion's share of threats right there. Dont get me wrong, I dont think the habs are that far off... maybe a couple little deadline moves away.

The good news is that the road in the east should be a little easier, so you have a better chance to get in the finals, and anything can happen at that point.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Well... Saku is a warrior and all... But if he really wants the cup this year, the least would be not to say he will not win it this year as soon as september this time, and to focus on this goal. As team captain, he has a huge role to play in an eventual cup conquest.

I agree that it would be nice to see him lift the cup, but stop telling me "win a cup for Saku"... he has to earn it, like every other single player on this team.

Those guys have been on the team 1 year or less.

Saku has been on it since 1995.

You totally missed the point. He deserves to win it in Montreal.

Old
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

No I don't, as you start off by saying that Koivu is a warrior and all, but lacks focus?

I'm not going to get into the whole Koivu pre-season statement from last year, because personally I think it was blown way out of proportion.

Koivu has been a true leader on this team for many years. He has already "earned" the right for people to wish for him to hoist the cup.
The same way that people wished for Sakic and Yzerman and even Bourque to win cups, after years of playing for bad to average teams.

09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Those guys have been on the team 1 year or less.

Saku has been on it since 1995.

You totally missed the point. He deserves to win it in Montreal.
Never said he doesn't... All I said is that you don't win a cup for one guy. It could be a motivation, but it remains that many players deserve to win a Stanley Cup on this team... not just Saku. And what I'm saying is that Saku has to be a big part of it if we want to hope for a Stanley Cup this year... And Saku is a player equal to every single other player on this team. He deserves a cup, so do everyone else. It's a team sport, nobody is bigger than the team itself.

That being said, he fully deserves it, and I'd be happy to see him lift the cup.

Old
09-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I would love it so much to see Saku raising the cup with the C on his chest,boy oh boy im I ever gonna have fun calling in all those french radio stations on that night!!!

Vive Saku

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would love it so much to see Saku raising the cup with the C on his chest,boy oh boy im I ever gonna have fun calling in all those french radio stations on that night!!!

Vive Saku
You take the radio stations, I'll write the newspapers.
Who wants the clowns on TV?

I heart Saku more than anyone currently playing in the NHL. I can't wait to see him hoist the cup in Montreal.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Blades 0f Steel

No. Win it for Timmy, the diseased orphan that needs an extra wall in his room.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:08 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Never said he doesn't... All I said is that you don't win a cup for one guy. It could be a motivation, but it remains that many players deserve to win a Stanley Cup on this team... not just Saku. And what I'm saying is that Saku has to be a big part of it if we want to hope for a Stanley Cup this year... And Saku is a player equal to every single other player on this team. He deserves a cup, so do everyone else. It's a team sport, nobody is bigger than the team itself.

That being said, he fully deserves it, and I'd be happy to see him lift the cup.
Again, you're missing the point.

Nobody is going to care very much for Lang winning a cup. There's no emotional attachment there.

Meanwhile, the entire NHL will be cheering for Saku Koivu.

Old
09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'll agree with that HTS, but since Koivu is our longest serving player, and close to our longest serving captain. When you look at the overall roster, he's probably the one that most people would be the happiest about if/when the Habs hoist the cup.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:22 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Again, you're missing the point.

Nobody is going to care very much for Lang winning a cup. There's no emotional attachment there.

Meanwhile, the entire NHL will be cheering for Saku Koivu.
Nobody is going to care, but him winning a cup is just as important as Saku winning a cup, as important as Hamrlik winning a cup, etc... This is a TEAM sport... stop acting like Saku's well fare comes before every other's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I'll agree with that HTS, but since Koivu is our longest serving player, and close to our longest serving captain. When you look at the overall roster, he's probably the one that most people would be the happiest about if/when the Habs hoist the cup.
I agree with you... It's all right for the fans to be cheering for Saku. But in my mind, the team comes as a whole.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-15-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old
09-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Marksman

16 goals and 29 assists for 45 points in 50 playoffs games.

If it had been up to Saku only, he would have couple of those already.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Agreed.

What I meant was more in the vein of let's win the Cup for #18 Denis Savard during our '93 Cup run (or win one for Lucky Luc in Motown, or win one for Ray Bourque in Colorado, etc...I think that you get the idea.)
In 93, if it weren't for Roy, we wouldn't have won it.
In Motown for Luc, they had an All-Star line up...Shanahan-Fedorov-Hull-Robitaille-Yzerman-Larionov-Lidstrom-Chelios-Hasek..with their great 3rd-4th liners, Holmstrom-Draper-Maltby-McCarthy..
For Bourque, they had just as much an All-Star team..
Forsberg-Sakic-Hejduk-Tanguay-Drury-Bourque-Foote-Blake-Roy..

It's gonna be a lot tougher for us to make win it then it was for those teams. Mainly, it's gonna come down on Price/Halak to see how good they can play come PO time again.

Quote:
Nobody is going to care, but him winning a cup is just as important as Saku winning a cup, as important as Hamrlik winning a cup, etc... This is a TEAM sport... stop acting like Saku's well fare comes before every other's.
I don't see why you're denying that..
Koivu has been in Mtl for over 10years, OBVIOUSLY people are going to be much happier for Saku than for Hamrlik or Lang or Bouillon or whoever.
Mtl fans will be happier for Koivu than anybody else, that's quite obvious buddy.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-15-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Haddock

Ooooooohhhhh... What to do... what to do? I love Saku but hate his fanboys. Oh crap, I'll side with them anyway. This team will try to win it as a team and the player on that team wich has garnered the most sympathy is, by far, the captain. So it's not "Win a Cup for Saku" but more like "I would probably be in tears if Saku got to raise the Cup in Montréal". Everybody love everybody!

*Edit: Tears of joy, of course.

E-L-E!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I agree with you... It's all right for the fans to be cheering for Saku. But in my mind, the team comes as a whole.
Funny cause when the team does bad,on the french tv/radio the first one that always gets crapped on is Saku.

Next time that happens,you should call and tell them it's a team sport

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
wedge

I read you guys and I'm almost shaking. I'm so excited about this year like I've never been before. We're going to have a great team. Not like this year where everything came a bit as a surprise. But this year, we're supposed to be great and we will.

Soooooo excited.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
znk

Quote:

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
hum, no. I've given my opinion that's all. Everyone is talking like if Koivu was the main reason for being motivated about winning the cup this year. This is stupid. Koivu is a good player that every team would want on its roster, but stop acting like if he was comparable with Hull, Bourque, Robitaille and all. These guys were GREAT hockey players and they only won a cup by the end of their career. They deserved to win it particularly, because they dominated the game in their career.

Saku is just a good player. He is a great human being and a good player, but stop acting like if he's god. These boards look like a sect when we're talking about Koivu. Can't even say anything negative about him. If we do, we don't know crap about hockey, that'S it?

Give me a break...

Once again, before starting to bash on me, consider the fact that I only gave my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for having lost 2 minutes of your "life" to make this picture. Didn't think I deserved this attention.