HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Holes or Problems With This Years Line-up??

Old
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
skoivu

vCash: 500
Holes or Problems With This Years Line-up??

Does anyone see any holes or problems that we have with this years line-up.

I see ice time being a problem. We have 3 very solid scoring lines no matter what combination you may think we are going to use. Plus a very capable 4rth or "checking" line that needs to play as well. Kovalev needs ice time to be affective and you dont pay your 2nd and 3rd line centers to ride the pines. (Koivu & Lang) They need ice time to be affective to. Does Carbs roll his 4 lines, who plays special teams, i see Carbs having problems keeping everyone happy.

A hole i think we have hole on D. I think we are one solid defenseman a way from a stanley cup final berth. Marov and Komi are a great top pairing. I like Hammer and i think gorges is coming along great. But id like to see a top 4 d man picked up near the deadline. I think it was very obvious when Hammer was missing. A little more experience back there would go a long way in the PO's.

skoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoivu View Post
Does anyone see any holes or problems that we have with this years line-up.

I see ice time being a problem. We have 3 very solid scoring lines no matter what combination you may think we are going to use. Plus a very capable 4rth or "checking" line that needs to play as well. Kovalev needs ice time to be affective and you dont pay your 2nd and 3rd line centers to ride the pines. (Koivu & Lang) They need ice time to be affective to. Does Carbs roll his 4 lines, who plays special teams, i see Carbs having problems keeping everyone happy.

A hole i think we have hole on D. I think we are one solid defenseman a way from a stanley cup final berth. Marov and Komi are a great top pairing. I like Hammer and i think gorges is coming along great. But id like to see a top 4 d man picked up near the deadline. I think it was very obvious when Hammer was missing. A little more experience back there would go a long way in the PO's.
Kovy/Pleck 19 min
Sak/Tanguay 18 min
Lang/Higgs 16 min
4th liners 7 min

wingers from each line get more or less 16 minutes, depending on penalties

As for the D, we'll get one if needed at TD

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Of course there's holes on this team...no team is perfect, even the Wings have holes.

It's how you overcome them is what makes other teams more successful than others.

However, I will say, that right now, this is probably the most complete Habs team from their 1st line all the way through their back up goaltender that i've seen in quite some time.

I mean, when is the last time that the question marks heading into camp was who the 13th forward was going to be?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I don't really see any problems at this time, but the question becomes more in the playoffs. With the depth we have among our forwards, I expect scoring should be one of our main assets, so if Price and Halak can do their part and the boys stick to the system, we should be in for a very solid regular season.

Injuries of course could change that though, especially if we lost say Markov or Price for any length of time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I think all the holes from last year are filled.

If a hole does pop up during the season, it will be the lack of a checking line to protect a lead. I think we'll see a lot of line shuffling in the 3rd period if the Habs have the lead.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see any major problems. But adding another experienced D-man to play in our top 4 would have been nice.

Slick Nick

O'byrne.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LePoche69

Just my opinion :

Basic lineup is better than last year, but it won't show that much if Habs have injuries to key players.

Last year, habs had 2 better than average second line centers (koivu + Pleks) and 3 fourth line centers (Lapierre-Smolinsky-Chipchura).

This year, Habs have 1 better than average second line center (Pleks), 2 second line centers (1 year older Koivu + Lang), and 2 fourth line centers (Lapierre and Chipchura). So it's slightly better than last year, but it's still look like a hole to me.

But the addition to that mix of Laraque and Tanguay, + the year of experience gained by many players could make up for that hole.

All in all, habs are better. But not better enough to reach Detroit or the "over-the-top" talent in Pittsburgh. But you never know comes playoffs time. Chemistry, intengibles, hot goalie, rookie breakthrough in mid-season, trades, etc., can change the picture.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
If a hole does pop up during the season, it will be the lack of a checking line to protect a lead. I think we'll see a lot of line shuffling in the 3rd period if the Habs have the lead.
I think the Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev line can play defense effectively, especially Plekanec, as can any line with Higgins and Koivu on it. Then you add Tanguay, who was used very succesfully as a checking forward in Calgary. I think they'll be fine.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I see ice time being a problem. We have 3 very solid scoring lines no matter what combination you may think we are going to use. Plus a very capable 4rth or "checking" line that needs to play as well.
I don't think our 4th line will be all that good, not good enough to demand serious ice time. Laraque will play most games, given his salary, but he's a liability if given too many minutes. Begin and Lapierre are high energy players who excel when given short shifts. Whoever is playing in the Begin/Lapierre/Kostopoulos/Chipchura group will be killing penalties, so they don't need big ES minutes anyway.

Quote:
Kovalev needs ice time to be affective...
He should get big PP minutes again this year. Regardless of how much he plays at ES, Kovy should be happy if given the opportunity to put up points.

Quote:
...and you dont pay your 2nd and 3rd line centers to ride the pines. (Koivu & Lang) They need ice time to be affective to.
Koivu and Lang might not have career seasons point-wise, but they'll be counted on to play plenty of minutes against the Lecavaliers and Kovalchuks of the league. They may be angry at Plekanec, the Kostitsyns and Kovalev getting better point-producing situations, but I think they are both smart enough to understand their roles.

Quote:
I agree 100%.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think the Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev line can play defense effectively, especially Plekanec, as can any line with Higgins and Koivu on it. Then you add Tanguay, who was used very succesfully as a checking forward in Calgary. I think they'll be fine.
I think you're forgetting how many even strength goals we gave up when Koivu was on the ice. We'll probably see Tanguay on Plekanec's line with Chipchura being double shifted with a 3rd period lead.

Old
09-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
If Florida can't come to terms with him, Jay Bouw could be one heck of a rental for someone at this year's deadline. I'd hate to see what it would cost us, but at under $5M on the year, dumping Dandenault early means we could afford him at the deadline. By the looks of the upcoming UFA list, there could be a number of solid d-men available at the deadline to round out our team. Looking at UFAs of teams that might not make the playoffs:

Jay Bouwmeester (FLA)
Jaroslav Spacek (BUF)
Christian Backman (CLB)
Nick Boynton (FLA)
Niclas Havelid (ATL)
Derek Morris (PHX)

A disappointing year from Vancouver could put Ohlund on the market. I think we're ing great shape. We have all the tools and a weakness that can be addressed without too much difficulty. Just need Price and/or Halak to bring their A game this year, and we're good to go.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

The lineup could use a skilled player with significant sandpaper. A Brendan Morrow type. Hopefully, MaxPac brings precisely that eventually.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
O'byrne.
If he changed his name to O'Brneev or O'Byrnelav would that help?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I think all the holes from last year are filled.

weren't you saying in another thread than Lang doesn't fill the hole at center?

Just wondering

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Toro

If the problem with this team is ice time. then thats ok for me. Carbo will roll the lines and everything will work it self out. Carbo will see who does what best and by trade deadline, The holes (if any) that can be fixed via trade will be filled and we will go on a cup run. How far we get is anybody's guess but i like our chances with this team. Even before the addition of Lang.

With the depth in hamilton i see no problems for the team this season.

Bring on the season.....

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
KovalevDeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't see any major problems. But adding another experienced D-man to play in our top 4 would have been nice.
That's the only question mark as well for me

KovalevDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
weren't you saying in another thread than Lang doesn't fill the hole at center?

Just wondering
I'll fill your hole, buddy.

Wait. That doesn't work.

Anyway, I'm only talking about the regular season here.

Old
09-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Chomsky

Considering Lats and Pacioretty should be regulars in our line up at the end of the season, I don't think grit is that much of an issue for the playoffs to be honest. And it's not like if Sergei and Andrei were soft either....

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hell yes.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I don't really see any problems at this time, but the question becomes more in the playoffs. With the depth we have among our forwards, I expect scoring should be one of our main assets, so if Price and Halak can do their part and the boys stick to the system, we should be in for a very solid regular season.

Injuries of course could change that though, especially if we lost say Markov or Price for any length of time.
I don't think losing Price was be as big of concern as losing say Markov or Hamrlik.

Our forward depth is incredible, we can afford an injury or two up there from time to time.. and it won't kill us.

An injury to Markov or Hamrlik though and we are paper thin back there.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
oli500

Chemistry is my biggest concern. Its the reason winning teams can either blow up in the middle of the season or go on one of these streak that will take them on top. Just look at the senators last season and how all the emery discraction affected them in the final stretch. Samsonov and all the things he brought the year before last year also was one of the reason Montreal had that horrible stretch and missed the playoffs two years ago. Little things like that go a long way and can be the difference between a bad and a good season. Allot of things went right last year but despite that we had some players that struggle. Ryder comes to mind. You can bash him all you want but despite his struggles he kept his personal issues on the ice away from the team performances and that is what you need from every one. It will be interesting to see how the newcomers will react if they struggle or don't get the ice time they want. Often if they don't react well it can snowball into a negative situation. Still I think bob gainey did a tremendous job in getting good quality individuals and all thought chemistry is still a concern for me I think the type of people he got will fit in perfectly with this group of players.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
DDIHH

IMO, we could have a hole in goal.

Price and Halak are very talented and Price was good last year, but they are still unproven.

Price could suffer from a sophomore jinx and Halak never looked so great and the NHL.

Goaltending could be a strenght as it could be a weakness. At least, BG tried to address taht hole by signing Denis, but i'm not convinced.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Domenic

Quote:
He'd have to change it to Valentenko.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post
IMO, we could have a hole in goal.

Price and Halak are very talented and Price was good last year, but they are still unproven.

Price could suffer from a sophomore jinx and Halak never looked so great and the NHL.

Goaltending could be a strenght as it could be a weakness. At least, BG tried to address taht hole by signing Denis, but i'm not convinced.
Halak never looked great in the NHL? Are you joking me?

In 22 GP he's posted a 2.71 GAA and a .913 SV% to go along with 3 shutouts. And he's only getting better.

I could see one player faulter.. but both? I doubt it.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote