HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Some Practice Notes from Zipay

Old
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Dubinsky is probably the only guy who is not soft.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Dawes
Callahan-Fritsche-Prucha/trade Prucha, add Shanny
Voros/Orr-Betts-Rissmiller

It kinda scares me that we are so reliant on Dawes.
How are you defining soft? I don't consider Drury soft. I don't consider Gomez soft.

09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
mrhockey193195

Just a question, didn't Fritsche play most of last season on the wing? Wouldn't it be better to keep him there? Of course, if Drury plays on Gomez's line, we'd need someone to center that third line (assuming Anisimov doesn't make the team, which I don't think he will for the simple reason that we just don't have enough room). But I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Prucha-Drury-Fritsche
Dawes-Dubinsky-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Voros

Rissmiller/Orr

Or let's even say that Anisimov makes the team:

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Fritsche
Dawes-Anisimov-Prucha
Voros-Betts-Callahan

Sjostrom/Rissmiller/Orr.

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy.

EDIT: I left out Shanahan, but I've got the feeling that if he signs, it's bye-bye to Prucha, so you could just replace Prucha with Shanny in the lineup.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
To make room for Korp and bring in a shut down d for the stretch run. If he climbs back to say at least his 22 goal sophomore season, I think he'll be a very tradeable asset, and we need Korp's size on the wing for the POs.
Today, I'll say I can't imagine the Rangers will trade away someone that's generating offense UNLESS multiple players with modest offensive expectations just shock everybody and pile up points.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Today, I'll say I can't imagine the Rangers will trade away someone that's generating offense UNLESS multiple players with modest offensive expectations just shock everybody and pile up points.
That's why I was surprised to hear FC say Prucha would be traded if he succeeded. Our Achilles Heel this season will be goal scoring if it's any one thing, so I have a hard time believing we'd move a guy if he was productive (unless it was for someone more productive as you said).

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's why I was surprised to hear FC say Prucha would be traded if he succeeded. Our Achilles Heel this season will be goal scoring if it's any one thing, so I have a hard time believing we'd move a guy if he was productive (unless it was for someone more productive as you said).
If Pru's offense is the singular source of goals, then clearly he doesn't get moved. If, as I expect, Gomez, Dru, Dubi, Cally, Naz, Dawes, and Zherdev are also contributing, then Pru goes.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:30 PM
NYR Viper

i think sather will look to see if he has a place on the team in the future....which he does not and will try to get something for him....

with cheraponov, korpikoski jessiman, byers + players like naslund, dawes, callahan, fritsche, zherdev already in the nhl i would think prucha is expendable after this season

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How are you defining soft? I don't consider Drury soft. I don't consider Gomez soft.
Drury isn't soft but Gomez sure is. I consider a player soft when they aviod physical play, both when they don't take the body or avoid getting hit themselves to make a play. Gomez taking the body is not something I remember a lot of during his career. This team is small and soft with the only tough guys being fourth line goons who don't get a regular shift anyway. This is why I am very confident that this will not be the team on opening night. There is either going to be a trade or someone from within is going to show they are ready to be that type of player for the Rangers.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Sather trade Prucha and even Dawes, if he can get some size onto the top two lines.

The top three lines are simply too small.

With Drury, Gomez, Dawes, Callahan .....all between 5' 8" and 5' 11". Then Prucha listed at " 6 foot". Which seems like a reach to me. If he's 6 foot tall, then, that's the shortest looking 6 foot I've ever seen. Maybe it's his 175 lbs that makes him seem shorter to me.

Regardless, that's too many short guys. Especially when you consider that Naslund isn't exactly all that big and he doesn't play a tough, physical game.

Who's going to win the tough board battles and muck it up in the corners?

The more I think about it, the more I think you have to throw Callahan in there, too.

Cally's rather short and doesn't carry all that much weight to him. He was supposed to be a offensively-talented player, with an edge aand tenacity to his game.

But his offense has been rather short in it's spitting distance and he's mostly excelled at playign a Third Line fiesty, checker's role. And if you have Dawes, Prucha and Callahan all competing for a spot on the top two lines; you're gonna' have to drop the rest down to the Third and Fourth Lines where there's already a gluten of bodies......bigger bodies awaiting to play those roles.

A Third Line made up of any combo of Calley, Dawes or Prucha......falls very short of significant checking impact.

I have to believe all three could be moved for some size, grit and physicallity.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
Or a certain Russian player.

Or just because they're friends and its not even actual training camp yet and players are just skating with whoever.
Exactly.

I can't believe its starting already......

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Sather trade Prucha and even Dawes, if he can get some size onto the top two lines.

The top three lines are simply too small.

With Drury, Gomez, Dawes, Callahan .....all between 5' 8" and 5' 11". Then Prucha listed at " 6 foot". Which seems like a reach to me. If he's 6 foot tall, then, that's the shortest looking 6 foot I've ever seen. Maybe it's his 175 lbs that makes him seem shorter to me.

Regardless, that's too many short guys. Especially when you consider that Naslund isn't exactly all that big and he doesn't play a tough, physical game.

Who's going to win the tough board battles and muck it up in the corners?

The more I think about it, the more I think you have to throw Callahan in there, too.

Cally's rather short and doesn't carry all that much weight to him. He was supposed to be a offensively-talented player, with an edge aand tenacity to his game.

But his offense has been rather short in it's spitting distance and he's mostly excelled at playign a Third Line fiesty, checker's role. And if you have Dawes, Prucha and Callahan all competing for a spot on the top two lines; you're gonna' have to drop the rest down to the Third and Fourth Lines where there's already a gluten of bodies......bigger bodies awaiting to play those roles.

A Third Line made up of any combo of Calley, Dawes or Prucha......falls very short of significant checking impact.

I have to believe all three could be moved for some size, grit and physicallity.
Did you watch the Rangers at all last year?

If you dont think Dawes and Callahan hit, and hit hard, then I'm not sure what you were watching. Just because they are under 6'0 doesn't mean they cant hit.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
if speed is going to be the MO of this team then Freddie Sjostrom better be apart of it...i think he is going to do some wonderful things in this system.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:40 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Whos is the Swede center you guys were talking about a few posts after the OP?

I actually never thought about this, but if it works, who cares.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Dubinsky is probably the only guy who is not soft.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Dawes
Callahan-Fritsche-Prucha/trade Prucha, add Shanny
Voros/Orr-Betts-Rissmiller

It kinda scares me that we are so reliant on Dawes.
I think those lines make perfect sense except I am fine with Prucha proving his worth

Does it not make sense to have Dubinsky play on the top 2 lines?..............Gomez and Drury with Naslund even.............imagine the young and explosive line of Dawes, Dubinsky , Zherdev.............that would be sweet

I also think that it is fine to go with a more a speed line of Prucha, Fritsche ,Callahan..........they all work hard and 2 of the 3 are PK guys......also Sjostrom could jump up in one of the spots

I like Betts in the 4th line PK role with Voros/Orr being the one tough guy in the lineup and Rissmiller the utility man

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
If one of those guys can hit like Brown and put up 60 pts I'll be stunned. Happily so.
Grachev was projected to be a 1st rounder but fell. i think his potential is around 60-70 points 200 hits per season.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Vitto79

Just read that

So Shanny is practicing...........I heard this but first time I read it..............WTF

I mean who practices without being signed unless it's a matter of time

If they sign him I won't cry but someone has to go and unfortunately its likely Prucha

Old
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

hmm Drury and Gomez playing together....

Naslund-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Prucha-Fritsche-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Voros/Orr

Old
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Just read that

So Shanny is practicing...........I heard this but first time I read it..............WTF

I mean who practices without being signed unless it's a matter of time

If they sign him I won't cry but someone has to go and unfortunately its likely Prucha
Redden practiced with some players up in Ottawa, and Naslund practiced with Team Modo in Sweden. its common for players keeping in shape. maybe Shanny pulls a Selanne.

Old
09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Redden practiced with some players up in Ottawa, and Naslund practiced with Team Modo in Sweden. its common for players keeping in shape. maybe Shanny pulls a Selanne.
yea i guess it happens but given the circumstances I would think if they wanted him back or could afford to under the cap then it would of happened already

If he is not going to be on the team I don't think he should be there

In the end Shanny is old but he is a good leader and still can score 20..........I think he works well as a 3rd line LW, no PP time but PK time is fine

He would be pretty descent on a Line with Fritche at C and Callahan on the Right side......they are all defensive minded

I also really like the idea of Gomez and Drury on the same line as I think Dubinsky needs minutes and as the 3rd line Centre it could be limited...........I also like the Dawes and Zherdev together with him

Old
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
hmm Drury and Gomez playing together....

Naslund-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Prucha-Fritsche-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Voros/Orr
I would have those Lines EXACTLY as you have them.............BUT with Shanny in camp it seems like he may steal a spot......Also Rissmiller will be on the team but as the spare Forward.............he could be usefull in a 3rd or 4th line role though ..........i hear he is a energy player and good PK guy so he would fit in

Old
09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Did you watch the Rangers at all last year?

If you dont think Dawes and Callahan hit, and hit hard, then I'm not sure what you were watching. Just because they are under 6'0 doesn't mean they cant hit.
I have no idea why you believe "Hitting and Hitting Hard" is the main focus of my comments, or where excatly you saw me break it all down to just hitting hard..

What it does come down to is effectively winning more battles than you lose. Gaining control of the puck and keeping control of the puck. Hitting hard is only a part of it.

And yeah, I saw Dawes hit "hard" last season. I've seen Callahan hit hard the past two seasons.

But I rarely saw Dawes win the physical battles or retain possession when physically challenged. Bigger, heavier bodies trump small bodies.

Don't know what hockey you were watching, but you must have used your creative imagination to fill in the endless physical battles lost; with something a little more favorable to your delicate sensibilities.

I like Callahan. Would like to see him stay and develope.

I'm not a big Dawes guy. I think he disapears way, way too much. Showing up every once in a while to score a goal or a Shootout goal, doesn't cut it.

Dawes needs to learn to utilize that great speed he has and use it to his advantage with and without the puck, on a consistent basis. He barely did that last season. But when he did, he was a big threat. Makes me scratch my head why he drags his ass around so much.

Old
09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
if speed is going to be the MO of this team then Freddie Sjostrom better be apart of it...i think he is going to do some wonderful things in this system.
The mind-boggling thing in all this "speed kills " approach (which I'm not against) is that the Rangers play 50% of their games on the choppy, brittle, soft Madison Square Garden ice. An ice surface that either defeats or seriously restricts the speed game, the quick pass transition game and the finesse/skill game.

Remember, the whole "speed kills" theory is not just about skating speed. It's about quick first passes......... quick, agressive transitions, high-paced passing and attack.

So I hope Rangers management has a well thought out plan for improving the Garden ice. Otherwise, this team's top two lines will get plowed by their opponents.

I do remember hearing a rumor earlier in the summer that Sather and the rest of the Garden brass had intentions of doing something about the terrible Garden ice. What exactly that "something " would be, is a mystery.

Old
09-15-2008, 04:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The mind-boggling thing in all this "speed kills " approach (which I'm not against) is that the Rangers play 50% of their games on the choppy, brittle, soft Madison Square Garden ice. An ice surface that either defeats or seriously restricts the speed game, the quick pass transition game and the finesse/skill game.

Remember, the whole "speed kills" theory is not just about skating speed. It's about quick first passes......... quick, agressive transitions, high-paced passing and attack.

So I hope Rangers management has a well thought out plan for improving the Garden ice. Otherwise, this team's top two lines will get plowed by their opponents.

I do remember hearing a rumor earlier in the summer that Sather and the rest of the Garden brass had intentions of doing something about the terrible Garden ice. What exactly that "something " would be, is a mystery.
Don't the opponents play on the same ice when they play in the Garden?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Don't the opponents play on the same ice when they play in the Garden?

And if they happen to not be built for just a "speed kills " game, then they have the advantatge, eh?

Old
09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I have no idea why you believe "Hitting and Hitting Hard" is the main focus of my comments, or where excatly you saw me break it all down to just hitting hard..

What it does come down to is effectively winning more battles than you lose. Gaining control of the puck and keeping control of the puck. Hitting hard is only a part of it.

And yeah, I saw Dawes hit "hard" last season. I've seen Callahan hit hard the past two seasons.

But I rarely saw Dawes win the physical battles or retain possession when physically challenged. Bigger, heavier bodies trump small bodies.

Don't know what hockey you were watching, but you must have used your creative imagination to fill in the endless physical battles lost; with something a little more favorable to your delicate sensibilities.

I like Callahan. Would like to see him stay and develope.

I'm not a big Dawes guy. I think he disapears way, way too much. Showing up every once in a while to score a goal or a Shootout goal, doesn't cut it.

Dawes needs to learn to utilize that great speed he has and use it to his advantage with and without the puck, on a consistent basis. He barely did that last season. But when he did, he was a big threat. Makes me scratch my head why he drags his ass around so much.
just because players are smaller doesnt mean they dont win the one-on-one battles.....players like st. louis, parise, drury, richards, and many, many others are not blessed with huge size but make up for it with tenacity and quick movement down low.....ill take the speed any day of the week

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 05:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

And if they happen to not be built for just a "speed kills " game, then they have the advantatge, eh?
I don't know. If the Rangers are faster on good ice I would figure they would be proportionally faster on Garden ice.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote