HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two questions need answering at camp

Old
09-14-2008, 12:10 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Two questions need answering at camp

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/438869.html

Quote:
Training camp is always about getting ready, but it’s also about answering questions. Here are the two most intriguing ones:

Who will be the seventh defense-man?

The top six seem to be a lock (unless someone really falls out of favor and necessitates a trade): Jaroslav Spacek, Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Craig Rivet, Teppo Numminen and Andrej Sekera. That leaves Mike Weber and Nathan Paetsch to compete for the final slot.

“We feel like we have eight NHL defensemen in camp and a couple young guys, and we’re interested in seeing what they can do,” Ruff said.

In Weber’s favor is his stellar stint at the end of last season. The 20-year-old finished with three assists and a plus-12 rating in 16 games. Paetsch’s plusses include his additional experience, his contract (he’s in the second year of a three-year deal) and the fact Weber can be sent to the minors without clearing waivers. Paetsch could be claimed if the Sabres tried to demote him.
Quote:
There are more NHL-caliber forwards than roster spots, so who gets left out?

Buffalo has 15 forwards who played at least 37 games in the NHL last season. That’s already a couple too many since the team dresses 12 skaters. Plus, college superstar Nathan Gerbe will make a push if he performs like he did in the summer’s rookie development camp, and big Mark Mancari wants to finally make the leap from the AHL.

Look for those two to compete with Mathieu Darche, Clarke MacArthur and maybe even Andrew Peters, Patrick Kaleta or Maxim Afinogenov for the final few spots.

“We have lots of depth,” Ruff said, “and there’s position battles among some of the veteran players, some guys having off years and some guys having better years.”
We have discussed these issue before. Just thought I would pass on Vogl's take on things. Also some of Ruff's comments on these topics as well. Ruff's comments are a bit vague but he sure seems excited about the battles ahead for roster spots.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
ohheyimmark

Max battling for a spot on the fourth line is a waste of talent. Trade him if that's the case. Otherwise, get him in the top 9.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Max battling for a spot on the fourth line is a waste of talent. Trade him if that's the case. Otherwise, get him in the top 9.
For that reason alone, I think that Max is a top 9 lock. Unless Darcy finds a taker for Max before October 10, he'll be in the lineup.

As for the other questions, I think we've all discussed this enough during this rather uneventful summer. Weber will be in the A, Paetsch the 7th. Peters, MacArthur the scratches.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 04:39 PM
ohheyimmark

Vanek Roy Pominville
Hecht Goose Paille
Kotalik Connolly Afinogenov
Stafford Mair Kaleta

x Peters, Cmac

Tallinder/Lydman
Spacek/Rivet
Teppo/Rej

Old
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Vanek Roy Pominville
Hecht Goose Paille
Stafford Mair Kaleta

x Peters, Cmac

Tallinder/Lydman
Spacek/Rivet
Teppo/Rej
I actually like the looks of those lines. I like Poms with Vanek and Roy rather than Max up there. And I also think with Stafford gaining experience, Mair working hard in the off season and with Kaleta actually having some hockey sense over Peters that that line could surpringly score a bit more than just "every now and then"

Selanne00008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Hecht-Roy-Afinogenov
Vanek-Connolly-Pominville
Paille-Goose-Stafford
Kotalik-Mair-Kaleta
x MacArthur, Peters

Tallinder-Lydman
Spacek-Rivet
Sekera-Numminen
x Paetsch

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hecht-Roy-Afinogenov
Paille-Goose-Stafford
Kotalik-Mair-Kaleta
x MacArthur, Peters

Tallinder-Lydman
Spacek-Rivet
Sekera-Numminen
x Paetsch
Those lines are sexy, and would definitely be worth a look imo.
I doubt we see them, though.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hecht-Roy-Afinogenov
Paille-Goose-Stafford
Kotalik-Mair-Kaleta
x MacArthur, Peters

Tallinder-Lydman
Spacek-Rivet
Sekera-Numminen
x Paetsch
yeah, very interesting first line.
has Maxim ever played with Hecht? i can't really remember...

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
And here I thought the two pressing issues for camp are

1) Will practices be open to the public in timely fashion?

and

2) Will the beer be stale during public, timely practices?

09-15-2008, 05:45 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Vanek Roy Pominville
Hecht Goose Paille
Stafford Mair Kaleta

x Peters, Cmac

Tallinder/Lydman
Spacek/Rivet
Teppo/Rej
There's no way in hell we sniff the playoffs if Paul Gaustad is our second line center.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:47 PM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
There's no way in hell we sniff the playoffs if Paul Gaustad is our second line center.
a bit narrow-minded to look at it this way. KCA would be the second scoring line, HGP the defensive line that people usually list third.
(basically the same situation as two years ago when people listed Briere's line first, Drury's as second - even strength scoring almost not availabe, but nice defensive work - and Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov as third, when they were clearly the second scoring line)
If KCA could find some chemistry one day... that line just looks so good in theory... who knows, with Max coming back to form, they'll probably click and could be a real winner for that team... i'd do some prayers if i had any faith in that...

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
That line goes out second most (maybe a minute more per game or so) to counter other top lines, still with the ability to pot a few goals. The scoring second line would be the alko/timmah/max line. The purpose is to hopefully get that line out against 3rd pairings and let Tim and Max take advantage of them. If the Hecht/Goose/Paille go out against a top line, they'll likely go out against at least the first or second D pair as well, which should free up the scoring line enough to get them some better numbers at even strength.

I find that those lines give us the best shot at making the playoffs over any other combo, to be honest.

Old
09-15-2008, 10:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFDM View Post
a bit narrow-minded to look at it this way. KCA would be the second scoring line, HGP the defensive line that people usually list third.
(basically the same situation as two years ago when people listed Briere's line first, Drury's as second - even strength scoring almost not availabe, but nice defensive work - and Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov as third, when they were clearly the second scoring line)
If KCA could find some chemistry one day... that line just looks so good in theory... who knows, with Max coming back to form, they'll probably click and could be a real winner for that team... i'd do some prayers if i had any faith in that...
KCA did find chemistry...in 05-06 at the end of the season going into the playoffs before Timmy got caught looking down. I certainly would not be opposed to it what-so-ever as a secondary scoring line. And that line was behind the Hecht-Briere-Dumont and Roy-Drury-Grier lines.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote