HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Rookie Tournament Results

Old
09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
BigEyedPhish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Keogh View Post
Wee (I know you didn't say this)
Alright was just wonderin

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Right, that does throw things off. Kyle Okposo might count as a good comparative, except he never played in the CHL after signing his contract with the Islanders and playing for Bridgeport. I am trying to think of another player in a similar position to O'Brien but am coming up short.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=10028451&postcount=6

This may indicate that indeed O'Brien may be eligible for the AHL.

http://hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-105677.html

That as well.

Jiri Tlusty is a European example which might demonstrate how where you are drafted from is the only fact that matters. He was drafted out of Europe, went to the AHL at 18, then to junior, and then back to the AHL/NHL at 19. Unfortunately, the fact he played in the AHL first then CHL makes it a particularly unusual example.

Last edited by Hossa: 09-15-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Right, that does throw things off. Kyle Okposo might count as a good comparative, except he never played in the CHL after signing his contract with the Islanders and playing for Bridgeport. I am trying to think of another player in a similar position to O'Brien but am coming up short.
Something like the Marc Andre Fleury situation where he came up from Cape Breton and had to be sent back to Cape Breton or stay with the big club and lose his rookie eligibility? IIRC, at the time Wilkes Barre was not an option because of the Dec 31st 20 yr old birthday rule.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
Alright was just wonderin
Looks like I might have been wrong anyways.

Old
09-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I did hesitate before posting for the exact reason you mentioned. Pacioretty isn't the same situation because he is bypassing the CHL entirely. I believe playing in the CHL overrides everything else. There are other examples of underagers in the AHL, like Bergfors, but again they never played in the CHL. It's possible that I'm wrong, but I think playing in the CHL disqualifies you from playing in the AHL underage in the same way playing in the CHL disqualifies you from playing in the NCAA (in that it's a CHL-NHL-AHL rule, not a CBA thing).

I could be wrong though, but O'Brien has plenty left to prove at the WHL level anyways so I can't imagine even if it was possible the Senators would consider it strongly.
Ya but doesn't that mean that Pacioretty would have a lot to prove in the WHL as well???

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:38 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Binghamton looks pretty full up front anyway, so going to the WHL and playing top line minutes won't exactly hurt O'Brien's development. I don't know if he'd get the minutes he'd need down in Binghamton this year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Ya but doesn't that mean that Pacioretty would have a lot to prove in the WHL as well???
Well, I'm not sure it makes much sense to point out how a player has a lot to prove in a league he's never played in. That's pretty obvious. I don't even know if he was drafted by a CHL team, he would be an overager anyways, and he's arguably a better, more advanced prospect than O'Brien at this point as well. It's a different situation, and as TMV just said, the WHL is quite obviously the best place for O'Brien at the moment (and that's not a bad thing).

Old
09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure it makes much sense to point out how a player has a lot to prove in a league he's never played in. That's pretty obvious. I don't even know if he was drafted by a CHL team, he would be an overager anyways, and he's arguably a better, more advanced prospect than O'Brien at this point as well. It's a different situation, and as TMV just said, the WHL is quite obviously the best place for O'Brien at the moment (and that's not a bad thing).
I know it was obvious but i said that to point out the fact that O'Brien COULD have been to the AHL (if he was eligible indeed). Pacioretty (and Habs did for him) chose to leave college to start his pro-career now. He surely could have played 1 or 2 seasons in the WHL. So i think it's just a matter of choices made (well life is based on choices we make, according to J-P Sartre).

But, anyway i think (and you and Ottawa's management probably as well) that staying in the WHL at least 1 more year will be better for his development...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:40 AM
gunsnbutter

pics and thoughts from the Toronto game

So much for not having depth. I attended the Sens/Leafs game on Saturday and I was really impressed with the players we have.

Winchester, Zubov, Nikulin and Regin really stood out as to be expected, although Nikulin looked a little gassed near the end of the game.

O'brien really wowed me - skilled, fast, aggressive, solid both ways and surprisingly big. He looked so scrawny when he got drafted.

Daugavin's going to be a player in the NHL. I didn't see him do as much as the other guys but you get the feeling that it's only a matter of time. He's fearless and I suspect very skilled. He even has a few fights on Youtube. I'd like to lay claim to the nick name "The Daug", right now.

If Doucet's goal (the prettiest of the game) was any indication, he's got some moves. Lawrence was always buzzing around. Neither guy seemed overly big.

Karlsson's big and skilled. My leaf fan buddy couldn't help but be impressed. It looks like he hasn't grown into his body yet though. It could just be the height but he looks like his balance and skating need to develop.

Kudelka's got chops! He moved the puck very well, made smart plays and really through his body around. I hope the best for this guy.

Here are some player pics. I can't wait to see these guys in real Sens uniforms!

http://studio204.ca/rookies/

gunsnbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:21 AM
KrazyTea*

The development staff has always said the O'Brien would play in the 'dub' this year, there is no point in rushing him and as mentioned he'll get the ice time he needs and deserves in Seattle. There's no need to get ancy on O'Brien, it's for his own good. He's still adjusting to playing as a forward, and playing on standard sized ice.

KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
jmor
Sens and Jets

just a quick video on jim

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=atCYQNnXYL8

seems like a good guy!

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:57 AM
jmor
Sens and Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmor View Post
just a quick video on jim

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=atCYQNnXYL8

seems like a good guy!
p.s chck out the nose, hahaha

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:12 AM
turrible
Sens Rising

O'Brien's sick goal is in the game highlights from tsn.ca.

There you see his speed and skill.

Last edited by turrible: 09-16-2008 at 06:46 AM.
turrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnbutter View Post
So much for not having depth. I attended the Sens/Leafs game on Saturday and I was really impressed with the players we have.

Winchester, Zubov, Nikulin and Regin really stood out as to be expected, although Nikulin looked a little gassed near the end of the game.

O'brien really wowed me - skilled, fast, aggressive, solid both ways and surprisingly big. He looked so scrawny when he got drafted.

Daugavin's going to be a player in the NHL. I didn't see him do as much as the other guys but you get the feeling that it's only a matter of time. He's fearless and I suspect very skilled. He even has a few fights on Youtube. I'd like to lay claim to the nick name "The Daug", right now.

If Doucet's goal (the prettiest of the game) was any indication, he's got some moves. Lawrence was always buzzing around. Neither guy seemed overly big.

Karlsson's big and skilled. My leaf fan buddy couldn't help but be impressed. It looks like he hasn't grown into his body yet though. It could just be the height but he looks like his balance and skating need to develop.

Kudelka's got chops! He moved the puck very well, made smart plays and really through his body around. I hope the best for this guy.

Here are some player pics. I can't wait to see these guys in real Sens uniforms!

http://studio204.ca/rookies/
Thanks for the info, setting the bar high with a first post like that!

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:30 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnbutter View Post
That's nice to hear, I am really high on him. His skill set added in with him being fearless, makes up such a great aspect of the game he brings to the table.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=10028451&postcount=6

This may indicate that indeed O'Brien may be eligible for the AHL.

http://hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-105677.html

That as well.

Jiri Tlusty is a European example which might demonstrate how where you are drafted from is the only fact that matters. He was drafted out of Europe, went to the AHL at 18, then to junior, and then back to the AHL/NHL at 19. Unfortunately, the fact he played in the AHL first then CHL makes it a particularly unusual example.
I know this is an old post, but Tim Murray seems to have indicated that O'Brien was indeed eligible to play in the AHL this year, but they agreed juniors was best for him.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...ssconnects.com
Quote:
"I think there's a good chance -- if his team gets beat out, and we're still playing," Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray said last week. "The way he played in the rookie tournament was really impressive. I almost think that he could play in Binghamton now, in some role. Whether that's the right thing or not to do, I'm not sure. I think junior's probably the place to send him back. Hopefully he can go there and dominate, and get stronger and everything.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
moz
Gute Post

Good find, that should clear it up.

09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I know this is an old post, but Tim Murray seems to have indicated that O'Brien was indeed eligible to play in the AHL this year, but they agreed juniors was best for him.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...ssconnects.com
Indeed, saw that too and figured the same thing. Interesting for future reference too.