HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Atlanta

Old
09-16-2008, 02:30 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
I'm just curious Jeff, whos' that 1A/1B center in your idea? because I don't see it.
I'd say incredible for 2nd line or barely adequate 1st line center. There are worse 1st line centers in the NHL.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'd say incredible for 2nd line or barely adequate 1st line center. There are worse 1st line centers in the NHL.
Steen or Antropov?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:44 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Steen or Antropov?
I'm sorry... I thought we were talking about Jeff Carter. Don't worry about it. Light are on but nobody's home.

Old
09-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
If Kovalchuk gets moved it will be because he does not want to resign with Atlanta, if he does not want to resign with Atlanta wtf would he want to resign with the Leafs.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Too much of an overpayment by Toronto. I doubt any team would have to pay that much.
LOL I love how delusional Leaf fans are.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:46 AM
BlackOmen

Send a message via MSN to BlackOmen
Marian Hossa went for a late first round pick, a mid range prospect with tremendous upside, a top 9 forward, and a top 6 forward. All of this happened during the trade deadline which has always lead to trade inflation. Of course having Kovalchuk for two season rather than 4 months should increase his price. There wasn't a lack of competition for Hossa's services and you would assume the same for Kovalchuk's.

Dan Boyle is another example of a recent star that was traded. He went for a late first round pick, a top 3 defenceman and a bluechip prospect. But he was signed long term (5 years) and not for just 2 seasons. He also gave a small list of teams his services could be traded to, which lowered competition for him.

Looking at these two examples of star players being traded the first example looks like a wild overpayment.

Early First round Pick
Two top 6 forwards
Top 2 defenceman
Top 9 Forward with potential
Midrange Prospect

Breaking it down it seems that you could almost trade for both Hossa and Boyle. I understand that maybe Kovalchuk is better than Hossa or Boyle but not both.

Quote:
Hossa
Midrange prospect, top 9 forward, top 6 forward

Boyle
Top 2 defenceman, top 6 forward, Early first round pick
Realistically I would expect a deal slightly better than the Hossa one. Since the original poster used the Maple Leafs I'll use them for an example proposal. I wouldn't expect that the Leafs would make a deal like this in their current state of rebuilding. It should be noted that I am a fan of their team and am prone to overrating their players.

Anton Stralman (Top 4 Defence with potential)
Alexander Steen (Top 6 Forward with potential)
Nik Antropov (Top 6 Forward)
Jimmy Hayes (midrange prospect with potential)

Anton Stralman is a talented young defenceman waiting to break out.
Alexander Steen is also a talented young player who started to play to his potential at the end of the season.
A healthy Nik Antropov can be traded for a first round pick come trade deadline time.
The difference between Hayes and Esposito is that Hayes fell a year earlier in hockey rankings for his draft.

BlackOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Please ban this guy.

I have rocks in my backyard with a higher hockey IQ than jeffleafsfan91.

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmen View Post
Realistically I would expect a deal slightly better than the Hossa one. Since the original poster used the Maple Leafs I'll use them for an example proposal. I wouldn't expect that the Leafs would make a deal like this in their current state of rebuilding. It should be noted that I am a fan of their team and am prone to overrating their players.
Realistically speaking, the Toronto Maple Leafs should NOT make a trade for Kovalchuk. They are about to start a much needed rebuild (or at least a mini-rebuild.) Dealing future assests like Schenn makes zero sense from their perspective. Even with Kovy, Toronto isn't gonna challenge for the Top8. Why not stay in Atlanta?

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
If Kovalchuk gets moved it will be because he does not want to resign with Atlanta, if he does not want to resign with Atlanta wtf would he want to resign with the Leafs.
maybe he enjoys the spotlight. It's a lot brighter in toronto.

Old
09-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
maybe he enjoys the spotlight. It's a lot brighter in toronto.
If he wanted spotlight why would he not just move to Russia and be worshiped as god.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
If he wanted spotlight why would he not just move to Russia and be worshiped as god.
Because he wants to go to bed at night believing that he's scoring with and scoring on the best in the world when he plays.

Old
09-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Kovalchuk needs to get out of Atlanta. Toronto is in desperate need of a superstar. Atlanta needs to get more quality good players rather than just 1 good one. So here it is...

Ilya Kovalchuk
Todd White

for

Alex Steen
Jiri Tlusty
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Pavel Kubina
Dimitri Vorabeiv
1st in 2010

This gives Atlanta a great young center who could be a 1a 1b with Little. Tlusty is a good young player who i believe could be on a second line this year. Kubina is very underrated and would easily become the thrashers number 1 defenseman. Vorabeiv is a great player the only problem is getting him over. And a Leafs 1st round draft pick is usually somehting pretty valuable to have

Toronto gets a superstar finally and gets a durable 2nd or 3rd line center.

I think this would really help out both teams in the future.

Leafs sign Bouwmeester and Cammalleri in the Summer and they are have officially done a quick fix.

Leafs 2009-10 Lines

Kulemin-Cammalleri-Kovalchuk
Blake-Antropov-Duchene/Schenn
Hagman-Stajan-Bell
Mayers-Moore-Devereaux

Kaberle-Stralman
Bouwmeester-Finger
Van Ryn-Colaiacovo

Toskala

Atlanta 2009-10 Lines

Christensen-Little-Tavares
Kozlov-Steen-Tlusty

Kubina-Enstrom
Bogosian-Hainsey
Man, I hope Atlanta doesn't try to play with only two lines next year.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
johnny canuckistan

Bad deal for both teams, but especially brutal for Toronto. Pass.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
mapes

This is a lose/lose kind of deal. Toronto needs to keep guys like Tlusty, Steen and definitely their first. They are REBUILDING. If they were done rebuilding and had a bunch of assets to trade then yes, do it but their prospects are slim. Plus, we don't have many picks for next year, NO MORE TRADING PICKS.

Atlanta doesn't do this because Kovalchuk could get better quality. These guys are good but his trade value is probably very high.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
This is a lose/lose kind of deal. Toronto needs to keep guys like Tlusty, Steen and definitely their first. They are REBUILDING. If they were done rebuilding and had a bunch of assets to trade then yes, do it but their prospects are slim. Plus, we don't have many picks for next year, NO MORE TRADING PICKS.

Atlanta doesn't do this because Kovalchuk could get better quality. These guys are good but his trade value is probably very high.
its okay because the leafs are going to sign cammalleri and bouwmeester in the summer so you guys are going to have a quick-easy fix

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post

Pretty much what I was going to say. Toronto gives up too much and becomes a weaker team overall despite having a superstar on the roster. The only reason Atlanta considers this is because it gives them greater offensive depth. You have Steen (50-55 pts at his peak), Tlusty (25g, possibly 60 pts at his peak), Kubina (40-45 pts), and Ponikarovsky (20g, 40 pts). That added offensive depth makes you a LOT tougher to match up against, and also protects your team against injury a little more.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote