HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey manager of Canada's 2010 Olympic Team?

Old
09-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Bob Gainey manager of Canada's 2010 Olympic Team?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3589729

Candidates to manage the team include Edmonton Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Steve Tambellini. They were Gretzky's assistant and director of player personnel in 2002 and 2006. Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings and Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens are also possibilities.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
habs86

vCash: 325
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

Candidates to manage the team include Edmonton Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Steve Tambellini. They were Gretzky's assistant and director of player personnel in 2002 and 2006. Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings and Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens are also possibilities.
IMO I would think it would be a great honour for BG to take the job, and at the same time show the world just how great a hockey mind he is.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Beakermania*

They are gonna give the GM job to Yzerman.... hopefully Gainey gets a spot on his staff.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I really hope Bob can atleast be on the staff.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bob will bring Carbo with him, in his luggage.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Would be cool if BG gets a spot on the staff, I believe he deserves it

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Clumsyhab

Anyone knows when the tickets are going to be on sale? Would be cool to see at least one Team Canada game at the Olympics.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:58 AM
brownman*

Well obviously I don't know who exactly chose who back in '97, leading up the Olympics, but considering some of the choices I'd rather Bob chill at home. Granted the results were significantly better than '06 but let Yzerman and Holland run the show.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

Kevin Lowe is way over-rated. And when did Gretzky say no to managing the team again. I'd like a brain trust of Gretzky, Holland, and Gainey. Let Lowe sit this one out.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

It'd be an honour for him I guess, but just as a fan at home I'd probably be happier if he stayed focused on the Habs instead. Happy either way, mind you. But just happier if he picked R'n'R and/or Habs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Kevin Lowe is way over-rated. And when did Gretzky say no to managing the team again. I'd like a brain trust of Gretzky, Holland, and Gainey. Let Lowe sit this one out.
I don't really get how you need too much of a "brain trust" to put together or manage an Olympic team. The players are mostly obvious picks. Coaching probably plays the biggest role. But what do the managers do, sit around and trade cigars and fancy drinks that only hf4 can pronounce, and swap war stories?

Old
09-16-2008, 07:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really get how you need too much of a "brain trust" to put together or manage an Olympic team. The players are mostly obvious picks. Coaching probably plays the biggest role. But what do the managers do, sit around and trade cigars and fancy drinks that only hf4 can pronounce, and swap war stories?
Let's see if he notices this one.

All indications sound like Yzerman, with I assume Holland. They'd incorporate someone from the east, but I'd be surprised if it's Gainey. I'd go after whoever is the best regarded pro scout in the conference.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Looks like Yzerman is going to get the job,maybe Gainey can sneak a job on the staff

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:58 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
They are gonna give the GM job to Yzerman.... hopefully Gainey gets a spot on his staff.
I totally agree, Yzerman with Gretzky as coach.....not sure about the coach....

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Newhabfan

Can someone tell me what the role of the team manager would be there? I mean, as said here before, the team selection is obvious, motivating players should not be hard, and there are no trades or long time planning involved. Is this just a public relations position ?

The frame of any international tournament makes it a lot harder - you lose one game and you're out. No second chances. What is a manager going to do ? It looks to me they are just for the show.

And besides, even if I only followed hockey for the last 4-5 years, I already figured that Hockey Canada management is more of a group of friends, that include Gretzky and Izerman, but I doubt it includes Gainey or Carbonneau .

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
It'd be an honour for him I guess, but just as a fan at home I'd probably be happier if he stayed focused on the Habs instead. Happy either way, mind you. But just happier if he picked R'n'R and/or Habs.
I agree. I'd rather see Gainey stay focused on the Habs. He could just chill out at home, smoking cigars and drinking fancy drinks that only HF4 can pronounce.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Yes, you're right. But it is a great honour and the best should be chosen for management positions the same way players are for on ice roster spots.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:47 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I agree. I'd rather see Gainey stay focused on the Habs. He could just chill out at home, smoking cigars and drinking fancy drinks that only HF4 can pronounce.
You are smarter than you look.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Benzaza

gainey was part of nagano..maybe gretzky will hold it against him ..lol..joke.

crawford..crawford

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:17 AM
habfan4

Quote:
What pray tell is so difficult about ordering a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, an ale or lager in the afternoon and a gin martini or scotch in evening? It's only in the company of the fairer sex that one needs to worry about ordering a Benderitter or a Kashenka.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
What pray tell is so difficult about ordering a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, an ale or lager in the afternoon and a gin martini or scotch in evening? It's only in the company of the fairer sex that one needs to worry about ordering a Benderitter or a Kashenka.
There you go again.

Old
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Ok, cool. Maybe it's not so difficult. Now leaving all the rest aside, is that order determined by your personal preference alone, or is there some more complicated set of social parameters involved in the selection?

And genuine curiosity here about that last comment, why does one have to worry when ordering a Benderitter or Kashenka (whatever they are) in the presence of the fairer sex?

Old
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Ok, cool. Maybe it's not so difficult. Now leaving all the rest aside, is that order determined by your personal preference alone, or is there some more complicated set of social parameters involved in the selection?

And genuine curiosity here about that last comment, why does one have to worry when ordering a Benderitter or Kashenka (whatever they are) in the presence of the fairer sex?
Prenunshiashion ?

Old
09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
AD

Quote:

One need not look like a fool before the fairer sex.

(I'm assuming the fairer sex is whatever Mcphee is these days)

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Kevin Lowe?? Why oh Why??..
I don't even know why Yzerman would get the job.

Kenny Holland would be the GM id go with, Bob would be option B.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote