HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Atlanta 1st in 2010 and 1st in 2011 for LA 1st in 2009

Old
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Mortal Fear*

vCash: 500
Atlanta 1st in 2010 and 1st in 2011 for LA 1st in 2009

Atlanta badly needs top end forward prospects like Tavares or Schenn to show Kovalchuk they are improving the roster and getting good players, so he will re-sign long term. Getting LA's pick gives them two potential top 5 picks to improve their odds of getting one of the elite forwards.

LA is overstocked with prospect and already has a lot of forwards, plus Lombardi loves hoarding tons of draft picks, even for the future. Plus, if LA is really bad next year and finishes in the bottom 5 again, he'll probably get fired anyway. If LA improves, he'll probably be retained, and the lower draft position would go a long way toward validating the trade. So in essence, with this trade Lombardi is betting on the success of his own team, which is a great thing to do if you're a GM. If you're wrong, you're probably going to get fired anyway, but if you're right, it will help you improve your team even more.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:49 PM
1025*

i think we should ban all proposals by leafs fans.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
catters078

a reasonably good idea, but I think Tavares would be the last piece of the puzzle in terms of LA's rebuilding mode...LA shoudnt give that up, if they have a chance at him , theres no point giving that up for another talented youngster 2 years away...

they wouldnt trade this years pick, knowing the talent in the top 5....

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Atlanta badly needs top end forward prospects like Tavares or Schenn to show Kovalchuk they are improving the roster and getting good players, so he will re-sign long term. Getting LA's pick gives them two potential top 5 picks to improve their odds of getting one of the elite forwards.

LA is overstocked with prospect and already has a lot of forwards, plus Lombardi loves hoarding tons of draft picks, even for the future. Plus, if LA is really bad next year and finishes in the bottom 5 again, he'll probably get fired anyway. If LA improves, he'll probably be retained, and the lower draft position would go a long way toward validating the trade. So in essence, with this trade Lombardi is betting on the success of his own team, which is a great thing to do if you're a GM. If you're wrong, you're probably going to get fired anyway, but if you're right, it will help you improve your team even more.
you better care about the leafs......... we are fine with Tavares or Hedmann.......

What about Detroits 1st rounder 2031 and 2378 for Torontos 1st 09-10

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Hale The Villain

Considering the Thrashers will be as bad or close to as bad as the Kings will this season that deal is horrible

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Why exactly would someone trade 2 future 1st rounders, when you don't even know what you are getting for them?

This trade makes no sense at all.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
you better care about the leafs......... we are fine with Tavares or Hedmann.......

What about Detroits 1st rounder 2031 and 2378 for Torontos 1st 09-10
<--- Sharks fan. I change my avatar all the time, since I make all of them.

And you can only trade a draft pick up to three years in advance. The only team who I would really consider not having in my avatar is Anaheim, but that's partly because they have the worst colors and logo in the NHL.

Old
09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

it's a gamble. If Atlanta believes they can get rid of two 15-30 overall picks for a top 5...but it's still too much of a risk though and would never happen.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

This is at least the second pick for pick trade that you've proposed among your many proposals. Besides the fact that I don't feel it makes much sense I'm wondering if there's any precedent for draft picks being traded for each other, especially so many months before it will be known where those draft picks will end up in that respective round?

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
This is at least the second pick for pick trade that you've proposed among your many proposals. Besides the fact that I don't feel it makes much sense I'm wondering if there's any precedent for draft picks being traded for each other, especially so many months before it will be known where those draft picks will end up in that respective round?
The first pick for pick proposal was just a joke thread, it was just to make a point. This proposal is highly unconventional, but still semi-serious. You're right about there being no precedent, but GMs are usually straightforward, uncreative, procedural, structure-oriented peopel because those are the kind of people who succeed in and gravitate towards management. However as a sports GM, you are constantly being evaluated on performance, and when you don't perform, you get fired. Therefore it should be desirable to put yourself in a position where you are betting on your own performance, because if you're wrong and you perform badly, you're going to get fired anyway. But if you're right, and you perform well, it will probably end up being a good trade for you because you're no longer giving up a high draft pick.

Last edited by Mortal Fear*: 09-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old
09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Cherepanisimov

kings will be better than atlanta this year

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:14 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Atlanta is going to be really bad this year. They should have no problem getting a top end prospect with their own pick. Plus they will likely be very bad the year after and maybe many more. I see no reason for them to make a deal like this. Getting another great prospect is not going to make them that much better, so no need to give away potential studs in the next two drafts.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Atlanta is going to be really bad this year. They should have no problem getting a top end prospect with their own pick. Plus they will likely be very bad the year after and maybe many more. I see no reason for them to make a deal like this. Getting another great prospect is not going to make them that much better, so no need to give away potential studs in the next two drafts.
Good reasons behind your arguments...oh, wait you have none.

Atlanta's going to be bad, blah, blah, blah...the only team I see is a sure thing to be a cellar dweller is NYI. Even Atlanta and St. Louis could do okay.

Atlanta collapsed at the end of the year because of horrible coaching and lockeroom...they were in the hunt for the SE the rest of the season. They led the SE in February. Holik's Circus Act is now thankfully gone and our three worst defensemen in the NHL are either gone or won't be playing much.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:44 AM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Good reasons behind your arguments...oh, wait you have none.

Atlanta's going to be bad, blah, blah, blah...the only team I see is a sure thing to be a cellar dweller is NYI. Even Atlanta and St. Louis could do okay.

Atlanta collapsed at the end of the year because of horrible coaching and lockeroom...they were in the hunt for the SE the rest of the season. They led the SE in February. Holik's Circus Act is now thankfully gone and our three worst defensemen in the NHL are either gone or won't be playing much.
If you think that ATL is even going to be competing for a playoff spot when February rolls around you have another thing coming...they are going to be on the of the worst teams in the NHL next year no doubt in my mind.

LAK, ATL, NYI are all going to be duking it out for the #1

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
If you think that ATL is even going to be competing for a playoff spot when February rolls around you have another thing coming...they are going to be on the of the worst teams in the NHL next year no doubt in my mind.

LAK, ATL, NYI are all going to be duking it out for the #1
Yes and MTL will finish outside the playoffs & Gomez and Drury will enjoy splendid season....yadda, yadda. We've all head such predictions last season.

How about we wait and see, before dooming anybody? Who figured that the Lightning get the first overall in September 2007?

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:53 AM
bornfromjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
I think we should ban you......

bornfromjets is offline   Reply With Quote