HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Where will the Phantoms wind up?

View Poll Results: Where do you think the Phantoms will be moved to?
Reading, PA 3 11.11%
Camden, NJ 3 11.11%
Allentown, PA 5 18.52%
Baltimore, MD 4 14.81%
Somewhere else 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-12-2008, 08:51 PM
AHLFAN

vCash: 500
Where will the Phantoms wind up?

With the Spectrum being torn down after this season where do you think the Phantoms will move to?

AHLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Here is a story from The Morning Call that talks about some of the possible locations mentioned in the poll.

09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
pelts35.com

Camden? Where would the Phantoms play in Camden?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 08:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If it's in South Jersey, it won't be Camden. Maybe Cherry Hill or Vineland.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If it's in South Jersey, it won't be Camden. Maybe Cherry Hill or Vineland.
If it's South Jersey it will most likely be Atlantic City.

I don't see anyone building an arena in either Cherry Hill or Vineland as there is no real demand for one given that there is a major arena 30 minutes away in South Philly, a "minor" one about an hour away in Trenton and other "minor" ones in Atlantic City.

That said even if an arena was to be built, it certainly wouldn't be ready for the 09-10 season.

Old
09-13-2008, 09:25 PM
PIMking

I would like to see a team be placed in Cedar Rapids Iowa. were the CR roughriders USHL Junior A teir 1 play. I know that the lease was up as of last year but I havent heard anything else. The areana holds 4500 people and they consistanly pack the place for juniors. Maybe not AHL but some type of minor pro hockey.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I would like to see a team be placed in Cedar Rapids Iowa. were the CR roughriders USHL Junior A tier 1 play. I know that the lease was up as of last year but I haven't heard anything else. The arena holds 4500 people and they consistently pack the place for juniors. Maybe not AHL but some type of minor pro hockey.
Maybe the CHL or IHL some day

Tommy Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:41 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Maybe the CHL or IHL some day
Im thinking CHL since they have moved a team into Rapid City SD and the league in general is more stable.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I would like to see a team be placed in Cedar Rapids Iowa. were the CR roughriders USHL Junior A teir 1 play. I know that the lease was up as of last year but I havent heard anything else. The areana holds 4500 people and they consistanly pack the place for juniors. Maybe not AHL but some type of minor pro hockey.
That won't happen. Comcast owns the Phantoms, and they were one of the pioneers in the new AHL trend of having parent teams within driving distance (or in the Phantoms case, within walking distance). They will stay either in the Lehigh Valley or Delaware Valley.

One place I'd like to see explored is Delaware.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:40 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

What city is closest to Philadelphia that has a complex that could host a minor pro franchise? Whoever is closest should be where the Phantoms move to. I'm surprised that Comcast won't build the Phantoms their own arena though and keep them in Philadelphia.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What city is closest to Philadelphia that has a complex that could host a minor pro franchise? Whoever is closest should be where the Phantoms move to.
It's not that easy. Most cities that have an existing arena already have a team. The only city in the immediate area that has a vacant arena is Atlantic City and that opens the discussion of whether or not minor league hockey can be successful there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I'm surprised that Comcast won't build the Phantoms their own arena though and keep them in Philadelphia.
First, where in Philadelphia do you propose that Comcast builds an arena?

Second, building an arena for a minor league team in Philadelphia would be a financially losing proposition. Comcast isn't going to build an arena for the sole purpose of housing a team that draws only 6000 fans per night at an average of $15 per ticket.

Old
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That won't happen. Comcast owns the Phantoms, and they were one of the pioneers in the new AHL trend of having parent teams within driving distance (or in the Phantoms case, within walking distance). They will stay either in the Lehigh Valley or Delaware Valley.

One place I'd like to see explored is Delaware.
For years the concept of building an arena in Delaware has been discussed, mainly with an ECHL team as the tenant, but it's never made it out of the discussion stage.

One problem with Delaware is that, depending on where it is, it isn't a great fit with the AHL geographic. Even if you put the team in Wilmington, it would be an hour further away from all of their rivals, with the exception of Norfolk.

Even though I don't think the team will be successful from an attendance standpoint, I think the first destination for the Phantoms will be Atlantic City.

Old
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
newfieleafsfan29

st johns nl

newfieleafsfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieleafsfan29 View Post
st johns nl
unless Global Spectrum buys Mile One, I doubt as others have stated the Phantoms aren't moving to Canada.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Johnny Law

I would be very surprised if they end up in Reading, for a number of reasons the economics would not be good for the Phantoms.

The Allentown area on the other hand may be much more advantageous in that they lack other major sports teams (competition) and their is a largish population of persons with disposable income.

Camden isn't happening, maybe AC for the short term with a move to the Allentown area once a building is built.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
I would be very surprised if they end up in Reading, for a number of reasons the economics would not be good for the Phantoms.

The Allentown area on the other hand may be much more advantageous in that they lack other major sports teams (competition) and their is a largish population of persons with disposable income.

Camden isn't happening, maybe AC for the short term with a move to the Allentown area once a building is built.
Are you saying that the economics wouldn't be good for the Phantoms if the ECHL Royals continue to exist or even if the Phantoms replaced the Royals as the hockey tenant of the Sovereign Center? I agree with you that Reading absolutely could not sustain 2 hockey teams, but I think the Phantoms would be extremely successful in Reading if they replaced the Royals.

I'd be curious to know when the arena deal between the Sovereign Bank Arena and the Trenton Devils is up as I'm sure that the city isn't really happy with how poorly the team has drawn since the Devils purchased the Titans.

Old
09-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Are you saying that the economics wouldn't be good for the Phantoms if the ECHL Royals continue to exist or even if the Phantoms replaced the Royals as the hockey tenant of the Sovereign Center? I agree with you that Reading absolutely could not sustain 2 hockey teams, but I think the Phantoms would be extremely successful in Reading if they replaced the Royals.

I'd be curious to know when the arena deal between the Sovereign Bank Arena and the Trenton Devils is up as I'm sure that the city isn't really happy with how poorly the team has drawn since the Devils purchased the Titans.
I meant that Reading is not able to support 2 hockey teams, I agree with you if they replaced the Royals I think they could do very well. Reading lacks real entertainment options and if the Phantoms could add a little more to down town and get more people down there it could be a real positive for Reading and the Phantoms.

Legally speaking though I would imagine it would be a nightmare to remove the Royals from Reading. Additionally, I think the ECHL may be upset as I believe the Royals are one of the more financially successful teams. I could be totally wrong about all of this but I wonder how much trouble the Phantoms would want to go through to get into Reading if a potentially easier deal is available in the Leigh Valley, if they can wait for a stadium.

Its actually one of the more interesting stories in the AHL as I don't see any obvious answer for the Phantoms.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
I meant that Reading is not able to support 2 hockey teams, I agree with you if they replaced the Royals I think they could do very well. Reading lacks real entertainment options and if the Phantoms could add a little more to down town and get more people down there it could be a real positive for Reading and the Phantoms.

Legally speaking though I would imagine it would be a nightmare to remove the Royals from Reading. Additionally, I think the ECHL may be upset as I believe the Royals are one of the more financially successful teams. I could be totally wrong about all of this but I wonder how much trouble the Phantoms would want to go through to get into Reading if a potentially easier deal is available in the Leigh Valley, if they can wait for a stadium.

Its actually one of the more interesting stories in the AHL as I don't see any obvious answer for the Phantoms.
I think that the Phantoms in Reading would do extremely well. The Royals already do cross promotions with the R-Phillies, so it seems almost too perfect for the Flyers not to have one of their affiliates in Reading as well. That said I don't see Reading happening.

The obvious answer of the options available is Atlantic City. However an article that someone posted on the Flyers board stated that the Wachovia Center would be available for half of their home games. I wonder if the AHL would allow the Phantoms to play 20 games in Philadelphia and 20 games in Atlantic City? If they would that may very well be the solution.

Old
09-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Westfall18

I am hoping that someday...we can get a team maybe in of the AHL,ECHL,IHL in Yonkers NY

Westfall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
jb**

soem retiremtn community in florida Apparently interested. Forget camden. Cleveland area. Look at area’s that have some type of comcast presence or an area that they want to break into to.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieleafsfan29 View Post
st johns nl
That'd be sick! Im a flyers fan in SJ

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
That'd be sick! Im a flyers fan in SJ

if that was a plausible option, Hovercraft, then the AHL and MLSE WOULDN'T HAVE LEFT Mile One.

absolutely zero possibility of moving a Comcast entity into a building where the lease was an absolute travestity for even a Leafs franchise or even the attempt by the Dobbins to establish the Fog Devils.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote