HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Schneider cleared waivers!!!!!!!!

Old
09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
We dont have the cap anymore even if we unload Dandenault i've done the math...
Really?
That sucks, what if he clears and comes back or if the Habs deal Begin as well?
I guess Bouillon too because he would be pointless to have around.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:59 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I find it hard to believe that schneider couldn't even deliver some sort of return... unless the ducks want absolutely no salary coming back.... but even then, burke could have taken a flyer on some prospect. Surely, you could get SOMETHING for him.

I dont get it
Probably because teams knew that he'd waive him.. so they'll play the luck card instead of giving up an asset.

He's a great complimentary player, but I don't think teams want to be giving up 2nd round picks for him.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I agree.. but not every HF user agrees.

Some want him as the 14th forward to let him honour his contract, blah blah blah. They'd rather have Chipper play in the minors.
I'll play devil's advocate for a minute and say that there is some merit to that argument. The way a successful club treats it's veterans has an effect on its ability to both attract and retain talent. If you were a veteran would you consider signing with Anaheim after the way they treated Schneider?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Some want him as the 14th forward to let him honour his contract, blah blah blah. They'd rather have Chipper play in the minors.
Well that's Dandenault's fault cause he doesn't wanna be that guy who comes in once in a while and does the job,he just can't do it anymore every night and he doesn't understand that

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that schneider couldn't even deliver some sort of return... unless the ducks want absolutely no salary coming back.... but even then, burke could have taken a flyer on some prospect. Surely, you could get SOMETHING for him.

I dont get it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
So Burke can't trade Schneider even for 6th round? Better than nothing ..... Weird ...
Everyone said the same things last year when Burke waived Bryzgalov...either Burke overvalues his players like crazy or...I don't know what.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I hope LA picks him up. That way at least we could get him at the deadlime.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
NewHabsEra*

Well it looks more and more that Tanguay will play the point on PP and we have the depth up front for..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Everyone said the same things last year when Burke waived Bryzgalov...either Burke overvalues his players like crazy or...I don't know what.
I can understand how bryz may have fallen through the cracks. Goalies weren't fetching much return on the market last season.

But d-men are a highly demanded commodity in this league... just look at how much an average d-men make in this league on the open market.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'll play devil's advocate for a minute and say that there is some merit to that argument. The way a successful club treats it's veterans has an effect on its ability to both attract and retain talent. If you were a veteran would you consider signing with Anaheim after the way they treated Schneider?
Sign with a Californian team that has Pronger, Getzlaf, maybe Scott Niedermayer? Sure.

I'm sure these guys realize it's a business, and when players are no longer useful to a team they need to be moved. If anything, it might even encourage me to sign there because their GM isn't afraid to do what's necessary to win.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I can understand how bryz may have fallen through the cracks. Goalies weren't fetching much return on the market last season.

But d-men are a highly demanded commodity in this league... just look at how much an average d-men make in this league on the open market.
This is true, but again, I still found it hard that a team wouldn't give up something - anything, a 7th rounder, a total bust of a prospect, etc - for Bryz. Now it's the same situation with Schneider.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Really?
That sucks, what if he clears and comes back or if the Habs deal Begin as well?
I guess Bouillon too because he would be pointless to have around.
that would be possible.

We unload Dandenault 1.725m$, Begin 1.064m$, Bouillon 1.875m$ current cap space 1m$ = 5.664m$
Schneider : 5.625m$

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Sign with a Californian team that has Pronger, Getzlaf, maybe Scott Niedermayer? Sure.

I'm sure these guys realize it's a business, and when players are no longer useful to a team they need to be moved.
That's the completely pragmatic way of looking at it, but what I'm saying is that treating players like disposable commodities also has a cost.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

id rather have chip in the minors than having him as our 14th forward...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
That's the completely pragmatic way of looking at it, but what I'm saying is that treating players like disposable commodities also has a cost.
Exactly. Nobody wants Dandy on the team, but he's still there because that's how Gainey does business.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Benzaza

just watch phoenix or the CBJ pick him up ..if phoenix does, they become a very very strong contender for a playoff spot (from strong)

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

Better for Chips development to be playing top minutes in the AHL then to take Dandenault's spot in the press box.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Habitants

damn that sucks! why was bob not able to trade for him?

will be a nice pickup for LA, or ATL?? or even STL?

in either case someone will probably offer a 1st round pick for him at the deadline...

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He's a bad poker player. He was trying to bluff what few customers he had into giving up something. Maybe the Habs were mildly curious, maybe not. But say they were. Ok, so he thought he could extract _something_ from somebody out there. "Look, LA or whoever is under the floor. They'll give me something, Bob. Can you beat them?" "No, sorry Burkie, we're going to take Lang and Breezy instead for a 2nd." Uh.. er... whups. Now there's nobody. Instead of waiting to see if some new customer emerges or he can salvage his hand somehow, he just gets frustrated and folds.

Maybe nobody was ever interested in Schneider at all. Or maybe it always involved them taking salary back, and they just couldn't afford to take any back at all. Selanne wasn't taking that much of a hometown discount? I guess we'll never know.

I'd put in a claim from the Habs anyway. I mean, it's not likely we'll get him with 20-some other teams ahead of us. And if we do get him, it's true we can't afford him. But let him go through camp, see where the chips fall, worst case we dump him back on waivers before October 1st. Who knows what will happen in camp.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
damn that sucks! why was bob not able to trade for him?
Maybe, just maybe Bob and Co think our D squad can do the job? We don't seem to have a lot of confidence in O'Byrne but Carbo's comment, before the camp, that his top 6 is set and Breezer comes as #7, could it be an indication that they believe that O'Byrne will do the job?

I know I would never expected Carbo to say something like that prior to the camp. Who really knows how O'Byrne will handle himself? Seems that they do...

As far as who can pick up Schneider. I really hope it's not LA 'cause I was counting on them to pick Dandenault....but now that they signed Stoll and Richardson, seems to me that the "floor" is no longer a problem....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:36 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Maybe, just maybe Bob and Co think our D squad can do the job? We don't seem to have a lot of confidence in O'Byrne but Carbo's comment, before the camp, that his top 6 is set and Breezer comes as #7, could it be an indication that they believe that O'Byrne will do the job?

I know I would never expected Carbo to say something like that prior to the camp. Who really knows how O'Byrne will handle himself? Seems that they do...

As far as who can pick up Schneider. I really hope it's not LA 'cause I was counting on them to pick Dandenault....but now that they signed Stoll and Richardson, seems to me that the "floor" is no longer a problem....
I think Bob and Carbo see O'byrne as a piece of the future. Gainey signed him to a three year contract and gave him 1.4 in the final year. That shows that Bob thinks quite highly of him and thinks he is a long-term asset. I can't say that I am suprised. He is quite talented, very mobile, can hit like a bulldozer and has untapped offensive potential. I think in the next two seasons we are going to see what this kid really has to offer, and I think it will be quite a pleasant suprise for some.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Apparently you can't trade a waiver claim during the season you claimed him.

Quote:
that would be possible.

We unload Dandenault 1.725m$, Begin 1.064m$, Bouillon 1.875m$ current cap space 1m$ = 5.664m$
lol, that would leave, what? barely 40 K of cap space? We'd be screwed if any sort of injury bug hit.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
that would be possible.

In a perfect world

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
How long does the waiver take? i.e. how long before we know the list of teams interested in picking Schneider up?

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:46 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
How long does the waiver take? i.e. how long before we know the list of teams interested in picking Schneider up?
24h after the player is waived

frederixx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:48 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
So Burke can't trade Schneider even for 6th round? Better than nothing ..... Weird ...
Indeed, one would think they could get something.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote