HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Schneider cleared waivers!!!!!!!!

Old
09-16-2008, 12:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
in either case someone will probably offer a 1st round pick for him at the deadline...
No GM in their right mind would offer a first round pick for a player who was on waivers just a few months ago. I would hope.

And anyway apparently you can't trade a player claimed on waivers the same year you claim him.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No GM in their right mind would offer a first round pick for a player who was on waivers just a few months ago. I would hope.

And anyway apparently you can't trade a player claimed on waivers the same year you claim him.
i know some who would, like those guys running the Tbay team, and garth snow probably...mike milbury. lol

you are right though it would be dumb!

good to hear there is a clause about not trading players aquired from waiver.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Question - It was rumored for a while that the Ducks were planning on sending Schneider to Montreal, but were waiting for Gainey to sort out the whole Sundin thing. Hence, the interest was always there but the deal fell through.

CAN the Habs actually claim Schneider on waivers (which would put them over the cap), and subsequently trade Dandenault/Bouillion, or does a team need to have the appropriate cap space to even place a claim in the first place?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:13 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Question - It was rumored for a while that the Ducks were planning on sending Schneider to Montreal, but were waiting for Gainey to sort out the whole Sundin thing. Hence, the interest was always there but the deal fell through.

CAN the Habs actually claim Schneider on waivers (which would put them over the cap), and subsequently trade Dandenault/Bouillion, or does a team need to have the appropriate cap space to even place a claim in the first place?
Gainey could claim him with out any repercussions, but he would need to clear the correct amount of cap space before the first game.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
gillyguzzler

Schneider would take Bouillon's place alongside Gorges and play the PP with Markov.

His main assets - PP and experience.
To his detriment - 5.7M and Bouillon is more physical.

Would it be possible to trade Dandy and Bouillon, I'd say go for it as this would improve the team. I'm sure there are takers for Bouillon...but for Dandenault?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Florida traded their best player for a player who was on waivers.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
DrMailloux

Alright, if ever he get to our spot wich i believe will never happen, its easy,

we give halak and a 1st pick to the first team crazy enough to take dandouillon.

Maybe gainey can give fletcher a call.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:43 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Florida traded their best player for a player who was on waivers.
No, they traded him for Keith Ballard, a very good young defenseman, and a player who was on waivers.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a horrible trade IMO, but it didn't go down quite the way you laid it out.

Old
09-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Exactly. Nobody wants Dandy on the team, but he's still there because that's how Gainey does business.

Think the Gainey's way. Dandeneault is obviously not in the team's plans, though there are probably worse players than him in the league playing for more money. You could treat him as a disposable asset, for sure. But what will be the message sent to all those you plan to sign next year : "if you go through a bad year or you simply do not fit our team we will get rid of you...".

My bet is Dandeneault will end as a trade for a low pick to a team where he will get his playing time and chance to shine. Like LA for instance. He will go the Huet and Grabovsky route. And the message will be sent to the other players "once we do not need you we will treat you the best way possible".

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
"if you go through a bad year or you simply do not fit our team we will get rid of you..."
Gainey has done that a lot. Theodore, Ribeiro, Huet, Samsonov and Murray. Dandeneault isn't staying in montreal because of Bob's principles, he is staying in Montreal because he is obviously well-liked by the coaches.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
CAN the Habs actually claim Schneider on waivers (which would put them over the cap), and subsequently trade Dandenault/Bouillion
Still not enough cap room once the roster needs to be set. We have 2 M available now without counting Chipchura, Dandouillon make a combined 3.6 M, so that gets us to 5.6 M. Schneider makes 5.625 M.

They *could* technically do it though since you can be 10% over the cap all the way until the end of camp, but eventually they would need to shed more than Dandouillon.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Gainey has done that a lot. Theodore, Ribeiro, Huet, Samsonov and Murray. Dandeneault isn't staying in montreal because of Bob's principles, he is staying in Montreal because he is obviously well-liked by the coaches.
Theodore, Ribeiro, Huet and even Samsonov got traded to places where they could play and shine. Not sent back to Hamilton. Even Murray got another chance I think. All of them are now in a much better position than they would have been if not traded.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
elsubz

Tampa will prolly get him

no joke.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I`m ready to take bets that Tampa Bay will pick him.

I`m CERTAIN they will.

And if they don`t, Atlanta will.

We have no chance here.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Dandeneault isn't staying in montreal because of Bob's principles, he is staying in Montreal because he is obviously well-liked by the coaches.
How can he be liked by the coaches when openly he criticized his coaches' decision by even saying in the press that he was reconsidering his place in the team and had to talk to his family about it. This to me is not something Gainey and Co loved to read.

Besides, at one point, Gainey seems to want to accomodate players. He did it for a lot of people and I also believed he did it for AHL guys like Locke. Why wouldn't he did it for a NHL guy as well who CLEARLY was unhappy about the role of a 13th forward but this year he'll end up 14th and he won't have a problem with it? Especially in a UFA year???

Dandenault is not gone 'cause nobody wants him yet. There all waiting to see what their prospects are ready to give to them before making a decision. Close to the camps like that, I think it's the time to concentrate in evaluation your youth and take the most cap friendly decision. Then, if those guys don't do the job and you have room and you need somebody relatively flexible, Dandenault is your guy.

But Gainey doesn't want to put him on waivers yet 'cause he might be thinking he could get something for him or doesn't want to pay half of his salary on re-entry.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
David

The timing of this waiver is very intriguing.

I suspect that Burkie and Bob's talks broke down and Bob went on his way to get Lang and Breezy while Burkie was forced to waive Schneider.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bob and Burkie were talking about Schneider over the summer and had some kind of understanding that once Sundin decided what he would do that they may or may not do business together to move Schneider.

This is basically what Burkie had said back around August time frame in a press conference.

But my guess is that once it became clear that Sundin was not going to sign in Montreal, Burkie became hardassed tried to fleece Bob for Schneider...but knowing Bob, he wouldn't have any of that.

So Bob walked and Burkie was left with his bluff and left holding onto an unwanted commodity in Schneider.

At least that's how I read it!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

I`m CERTAIN they will.

We have no chance here.
Tampa basically has to clear $3m-ish if they want Schneider. And the Kings have a chance at him before Atlanta.

Old
09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

I`m CERTAIN they will.

We have no chance here.
TB don't have the cap room if im not mistaken.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Then LA is a lock, they need D and they have plenty of space, I think Schneider would get them to the minimum, no?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
For sure. I think they're close enough to it as it is now, but adding Schneider would definitely get them there.

Old
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
THE HOFF

god, I don't know why people are obsessed with trading bouillon.

Some are actually thinking of playing schneider with gorges on the 3rd pair... are you kidding me. Seriously, you don't get a 6m, 68 years old dmen and ask him to play against 4th liners...

I actually prefer having bouillon than schneider when guys like hollweg, orr and neil are on the ice...

when I joined this board a year or two ago, ppl were complaining about his contract....not about his ability to play a physical, simple game.

I don't know if the bouillon haters actually watched the playoffs, because that third pair of bouillon and gorges often looked better than the 1rst 2 pairs...

I would love to get schneider.... don't get me wrong... his pp experience would be a new tool on our pp...

but why seperate bouillon and gorges when they have been doing great last year...?

bouillion tied with komi for the best +/- last year , and played an average of 17:20 /game..... 8 points... 60 pim : 18 minors, 3 majors, 1 game misc.....tons of solid hits.

I don't care if ppl just start flaming against me for defending bouillon, but hockey wise, I wish they could explain to me what they expect from a 6th defender...

Last edited by THE HOFF: 09-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
anarmandaleb

This is really my paranoia more than anything else, but what does Ottawa's cap space look like?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
This is really my paranoia more than anything else, but what does Ottawa's cap space look like?
This was posted in the thread on the trade board...pretty good reference for the waiver wire priority and how much cap space they have left (the numbers might not all be totally accurate).

14 teams would have to pass on Schneider for Ottawa to get him (and they'd still have to shed salary). Not happening, basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Please, somebody correct this if it's wrong, but this is what I have.

RankTeamCap Space
30Tampa Bay Lightning2,542,500
29Los Angeles Kings17,823,717
28Atlanta Thrashers15,811,989
27St Louis Blues5,570,834
26New York Islanders12,893,433
25Columbus Blue Jackets6,125,000
24Toronto Maple Leafs7,601,667
23Phoenix Coyotes13,008,750
22Florida Panthers2,825,000
21Vancouver Canucks8,984,167
20Chicago Blackhawks591,144
19Edmonton Oilers2,190,780
18Buffalo Sabres8,177,111
17Nashville Predators12,421,413
16Carolina Hurricanes7,483,333
15Boston Bruins1,363,334
14Calgary Flames-890,834
13Ottawa Senators3,222,671
12Washington Capitals-2,692,212
11Philadelphia Flyers-1,031,667
10Colorado Avalanche8,880,417
9New York Rangers-34,643
8Dallas Stars1,715,000
7Minnesota Wild4,063,223
6New Jersey Devils1,350,594
5Anaheim Ducks-3,235,000
4Pittsburgh Penguins1,339,133
3Montréal Canadiens1,064,699
2San Jose Sharks-225,834
1Detroit Red Wings226,667

Old
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
revin5*

re: Bouillon, +10000000

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

if we can clear the cap space for him, I would claim him.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote