HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Win a Stanley Cup for Saku

Old
09-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Bobby G

vCash: 500
Man, just thinking about Koivu lifting the cup above his head with 21,000+ as loud as they have ever been gives me massive goose bumps. Don't know how I would react to actually see it.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Koivu deserve it, going thru these cheap years with Molson & Peanut was no easy task.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:40 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
hum, no. I've given my opinion that's all. Everyone is talking like if Koivu was the main reason for being motivated about winning the cup this year. This is stupid. Koivu is a good player that every team would want on its roster, but stop acting like if he was comparable with Hull, Bourque, Robitaille and all. These guys were GREAT hockey players and they only won a cup by the end of their career. They deserved to win it particularly, because they dominated the game in their career.

Saku is just a good player. He is a great human being and a good player, but stop acting like if he's god. These boards look like a sect when we're talking about Koivu. Can't even say anything negative about him. If we do, we don't know crap about hockey, that'S it?

Give me a break...

Once again, before starting to bash on me, consider the fact that I only gave my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for having lost 2 minutes of your "life" to make this picture. Didn't think I deserved this attention.
Google image. Dont flatter yourself to much.

It's a god damn source of motivation....
Every year when a team wins the cup you hear half the team say how they are happy for a veteran. It's all we are saying....
When Ray Bourque lifted the cup It was special. I still remember when Lanny McDonald lifting the cup when the Flames beat the Habs.

And contrary to what you are saying, doing something for an other player on your team is a key part of what a team is. When you do something for others instead of yourself that's when you understand what being part of a team is. You make bigger sacrifices when you do things for the team instead of your self. And every source of inspiration a team can use is an asset.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
win a cup for Koivu
win a cup for Higgins
win a cup for Plekanec
win a cup for Kovalev
win a cup for A. Kostitsyn
win a cup for S. Kostitsyn
win a cup for Lang
win a cup for Latendresse
win a cup for Laraque
win a cup for Tanguay
win a cup for Begin
win a cup for Kostopoulos
win a cup for Lapierre
win a cup for Markov
win a cup for Komisarek
win a cup for Hamrlik
win a cup for O'Byrne
win a cup for Bouillon
win a cup for Gorges
win a cup for Price
win a cup for Halak
and yes, even win a cup for Brisebois and Dandenault

win a cup for the coaches, the trainers, the owner,Youppi, everyone and especially us, the fans
not only for Saku.

does Saku deserve one for all he has done? YES SIR, but We have stuck with this team for the last 15 years and everyone knows it had been tough so WE TOO deserve it just as much as him!!

GO HABS GO!!!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
win a cup for Koivu
win a cup for Higgins
win a cup for Plekanec
win a cup for Kovalev
win a cup for A. Kostitsyn
win a cup for S. Kostitsyn
win a cup for Lang
win a cup for Latendresse
win a cup for Laraque
win a cup for Tanguay
win a cup for Begin
win a cup for Kostopoulos
win a cup for Lapierre
win a cup for Markov
win a cup for Komisarek
win a cup for Hamrlik
win a cup for O'Byrne
win a cup for Bouillon
win a cup for Gorges
win a cup for Price
win a cup for Halak
and yes, even win a cup for Brisebois and Dandenault

win a cup for the coaches, the trainers, the owner, everyone and especially us, the fans
not only for Saku.

does Saku deserve one for all he has done? YES SIR, but We have stuck with this team for the last 15 years and everyone knows it had been tough so WE TOO deserve it just as much as him!!

GO HABS GO!!!
Exactly! you forgot Youppi!, though

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Exactly! you forgot Youppi!, though
I fixed it for you!

Old
09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Ross MacLochness

It's just so awesome that we can finally be in training camp and realistically talk Stanley Cup. Fans born in the mid-80's and later, while we might have been alive for 86 and 93, winning a cup would be like an absolute dream come true. All we've ever really known since following the team religiously is the "Well, the playoffs are our goal" nonsense.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I still say do it for the orphans, as well as Saku.

And that kid who lost his puppy. Seriously.

I want to make Youppi! tonight.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
It's just so awesome that we can finally be in training camp and realistically talk Stanley Cup. Fans born in the mid-80's and later, while we might have been alive for 86 and 93, winning a cup would be like an absolute dream come true. All we've ever really known since following the team religiously is the "Well, the playoffs are our goal" nonsense.
AMEN!

born in 85 so the 86 cup is nothing to me.
the 93 cup was won on my 8th birthday, I have a few memories but very blurry.

I'd love to be able to watch a cup being won and remember everything for the rest of my life.

Old
09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
AMEN!

I'd love to be able to watch a cup being won and remember everything for the rest of my life.
Exactly. I was born in 87 and the only thing I remember about 93 was being in senior kindergarten and having a class field trip the morning after we won the cup and making fun of my friends who are all Leaf fans. I want to be able to do that as an adult lol.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 135
Quote:
AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Exactly. I was born in 87 and the only thing I remember about 93 was being in senior kindergarten and having a class field trip the morning after we won the cup and making fun of my friends who are all Leaf fans. I want to be able to do that as an adult lol.
Being a little older than you guys, I've been blessed to be able to do both things. Let me tell you, there is no greater experience.

Especially the making fun of the Leaf fans part.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Saku really deserve it. He's a warrior, a real one.
Quote:
Well... Saku is a warrior and all.
I'll beat an overused internet phrase to death, tip my cap to Les Canadiens and inject some reality, all in one post:

2,000 of Les Forces canadiennes who are fighting in Afghanistan today say, "Bon jour!"

Let's not get carried away with what a warrior Saku Koivu is (remember, even Kellen Winslow is a solider). He's been the face of the franchise during the last decade, he's a nice fellow and he hasn't won a Cup, but many teams have a player like that.

The Canadiens have a good chance to go to the finals this season, but that's all they have today, September 17th. They have a lot of work to do before they start saying "win one for the Gipper!"

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
I'll beat an overused internet phrase to death, tip my cap to Les Canadiens and inject some reality, all in one post:

2,000 of Les Forces canadiennes who are fighting in Afghanistan today say, "Bon jour!"

Let's not get carried away with what a warrior Saku Koivu is (remember, even Kellen Winslow is a solider). He's been the face of the franchise during the last decade, he's a nice fellow and he hasn't won a Cup, but many teams have a player like that.

The Canadiens have a good chance to go to the finals this season, but that's all they have today, September 17th. They have a lot of work to do before they start saying "win one for the Gipper!"
Yeah, you guys are jinxing us too

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:35 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

I'm not sure you're familiar with Koivu's history. It's not because he's a a good hockey player that we call him a warrior.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Spectaculard
Trout101HR316RBI386R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:

Bringing war into the subject = Facepalm.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I wonder if people were saying the same thing about the Rocket during the Korean War.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
znk

Quote:

Koivu has fought and beat cancer and came back early enough to play in the playoffs. That's a warrior to me....maybe your definition requires guns. Not mine.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:49 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Never said he doesn't... All I said is that you don't win a cup for one guy. It could be a motivation, but it remains that many players deserve to win a Stanley Cup on this team... not just Saku. And what I'm saying is that Saku has to be a big part of it if we want to hope for a Stanley Cup this year... And Saku is a player equal to every single other player on this team. He deserves a cup, so do everyone else. It's a team sport, nobody is bigger than the team itself.

That being said, he fully deserves it, and I'd be happy to see him lift the cup.
So Saku deserves the cup equally as much as Dandenault, gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post

woooooooooooooooooot funny post.

Quote:
hum, no. I've given my opinion that's all. Everyone is talking like if Koivu was the main reason for being motivated about winning the cup this year. This is stupid. Koivu is a good player that every team would want on its roster, but stop acting like if he was comparable with Hull, Bourque, Robitaille and all. These guys were GREAT hockey players and they only won a cup by the end of their career. They deserved to win it particularly, because they dominated the game in their career.

Saku is just a good player. He is a great human being and a good player, but stop acting like if he's god. These boards look like a sect when we're talking about Koivu. Can't even say anything negative about him. If we do, we don't know crap about hockey, that'S it?

Give me a break...

Once again, before starting to bash on me, consider the fact that I only gave my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for having lost 2 minutes of your "life" to make this picture. Didn't think I deserved this attention.
No offense but that's such a nerdy comment. And let me guess, you only spent 10 seconds of your time in total posting in a thread that everyone disagrees with you in?

Anyways, your an obvious Koivu disliker. It's fine to be that way, but don't try to paint yourself out to be simply a lover of "the team" and not somebody who dislikes Koivu.

Go chat on CKAC about how we'll never win a cup with him as our captain or something.

Why would we want to as fans of our team, say anything negative about Koivu? Imo you're supposed to support your team through thick and thin. Is Saku a god? Something close to imo. He's had to battle cancer, getting his eye gouged out, injuries, fans forsaking him, the media being ****** to him over something that is debateably UNRELATED to our team, LANGUAGE LAWS and political ********.

He's a foreigner who came to our country to play on the team that was historically the best. He's dealt with all the ******** of playing here and I know if it were me I'd tell the french media to suck on this (pointing down to left nut) and I wouldn't speak a word of french. Koivu is a much classier guy then that, he just lets go of all of the ******** he's been through and takes with him only what makes him a better person. So is Saku Koivu a god? Maybe... he surely has the patience and the heart of a god, and in the playoffs he plays at the level of one

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Koivu has fought and beat cancer and came back early enough to play in the playoffs. That's a warrior to me....maybe your definition requires guns. Not mine.
My definition of a wussy(you can imagine the word I meant to use) is somebody who requires a gun.

Quote:

LOL propagandaking, stop bringing up war related propaganda in a hockey thread. So take your plugs for the canadian army else where.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-17-2008 at 11:17 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I wonder if people were saying the same thing about the Rocket during the Korean War.
Hey, Moon Man here with a little aside. It wasn't for Richards lack of trying during WWII. But since none of this has anything to do with the topic at hand, other than someone seizing upon the warrior comment, let's drop this like a cold potato.

Koivu would be one of the greater stories to come out of any celebration in the spring, yes indeedy.

Moon Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Ishmael

I'm normally totally a team guy; if the player is on the team, I try to like them, and if they're not, meh, who really cares? If the team wins, I like to hear how it matters to each of the players personally.

However, Saku Koivu is not just another player. He's definitely a role model, an example of what wearing the CH and being an excellent human being is all about. He has been the point of pride and class for the franchise for a number of years, when really they didn't have much else to hold that image together.

He's a fantastic hockey player, the type I really enjoy watching the most (the smaller, faster guys) and it's disappointing that we'll never know just how great he really was because of his injuries and health problems. I personally think he would have been considered top 10 in the league if he had've stayed healthy. He always ups his game in the playoffs, something that says a lot by itself.

So yeah, I'm a big fan. He's made me hope for Finland as my second-favorite team internationally. And he's the only player during the whole time I've been watching the Canadiens that if he ever went to another team, I'd possibly hope for that team to win (assuming he hadn't won one with us already).

He's by all accounts one of the most respected players in the league as well. "Win the cup for Saku", I think is a legitimate motivational thought for the team. Not to put him above the team, but to help bind them together. I know I'll be emotional if I get to see him in a Habs jersey holding the cup over his head.

So, I hear what you're saying, HTS, and for any other player I'd agree. But not for Saku.

PS And Bourque couldn't even skate backwards... he was pretty over-rated.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Lone Rogue

Man, people are getting worked up over absolutely nothing. I love how its wrong to say "win a Cup for Saku" but "Win a cup for Andreychuk" in Tampa was A OK.

Lets find common ground here, okay? Win a cup for... the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins. There we go. Those kids deserve a pick me up anyway!

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Man, people are getting worked up over absolutely nothing. I love how its wrong to say "win a Cup for Saku" but "Win a cup for Andreychuk" in Tampa was A OK.

Lets find common ground here, okay? Win a cup for... the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins. There we go. Those kids deserve a pick me up anyway!
People get cranky when someone respects our Captain.

Old
09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:

I'll try to respond to this point by using the same thesis as I did in an injury thread a while back, I don't think anyone got my point then ,maybe I'll be able to articulate it better now:

Koivu, the player, is a character in a fantasy world known to us as the NHL. The notion that what 40 strangers fighting over a piece of rubber has any effect on our real lives is an illusion. The Stanley Cup is just a metal cylinder, and teams are nothing more than arbitrary casts of players. Every time we watch a hockey game and root for a team we chose to live in a fantasy world, and thereís nothing wrong with that. The problem is when people canít make the difference between that and reality.

I, like most Habsí fans would love to see Koivu win a Cup, it would be like a happy ending to a movie, a great continuation to our fantasy world. But in reality, Koivu is a guy none of us know personally, and could be replaced by almost anyone with his hockey skills (i.e. fantasy) and be just as adored.

My point is this: you canít compare fantasy and reality, and not being able to distinguish the difference between the two will leave you vulnerable to being exploited by those who try to blur the line. (Iím sorry, owning a $300 authentic jersey doesnít bring you closer to being on the team) And no matter how much youíd want it, youíll never be more than a passive observer to it. Real life means being able to take an active role.

PS: No, Koivu getting cancer doesnít change the fact that heís a character in a fantasy world. Plenty of people get cancer every day, and we donít care about them, they donít fit any narrative, they are just a statistic. If we really cared about Koivu, the person, getting cancer, then weíd be forced to care about all others, and stop spending our time in fantasy worlds like the NHL and actually do something to help them.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No offense but that's such a nerdy comment. And let me guess, you only spent 10 seconds of your time in total posting in a thread that everyone disagrees with you in?

Anyways, your an obvious Koivu disliker. It's fine to be that way, but don't try to paint yourself out to be simply a lover of "the team" and not somebody who dislikes Koivu.

Go chat on CKAC about how we'll never win a cup with him as our captain or something.

Why would we want to as fans of our team, say anything negative about Koivu? Imo you're supposed to support your team through thick and thin. Is Saku a god? Something close to imo. He's had to battle cancer, getting his eye gouged out, injuries, fans forsaking him, the media being ****** to him over something that is debateably UNRELATED to our team, LANGUAGE LAWS and political ********.

He's a foreigner who came to our country to play on the team that was historically the best. He's dealt with all the ******** of playing here and I know if it were me I'd tell the french media to suck on this (pointing down to left nut) and I wouldn't speak a word of french. Koivu is a much classier guy then that, he just lets go of all of the ******** he's been through and takes with him only what makes him a better person. So is Saku Koivu a god? Maybe... he surely has the patience and the heart of a god, and in the playoffs he plays at the level of one
Posts like this are one of the main reason why talking about Saku is such touchy subject. You don't even bother to mention one achievement that took place on the ice when defending him. As if his detractors were only pro-cancer french-speaking members of the media with an ax to grind.

You are not helping.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I'll try to respond to this point by using the same thesis as I did in an injury thread a while back, I don't think anyone got my point then ,maybe I'll be able to articulate it better now:

Koivu, the player, is a character in a fantasy world known to us as the NHL. The notion that what 40 strangers fighting over a piece of rubber has any effect on our real lives is an illusion. The Stanley Cup is just a metal cylinder, and teams are nothing more than arbitrary casts of players. Every time we watch a hockey game and root for a team we chose to live in a fantasy world, and there’s nothing wrong with that. The problem is when people can’t make the difference between that and reality.

I, like most Habs’ fans would love to see Koivu win a Cup, it would be like a happy ending to a movie, a great continuation to our fantasy world. But in reality, Koivu is a guy none of us know personally, and could be replaced by almost anyone with his hockey skills (i.e. fantasy) and be just as adored.

My point is this: you can’t compare fantasy and reality, and not being able to distinguish the difference between the two will leave you vulnerable to being exploited by those who try to blur the line. (I’m sorry, owning a $300 authentic jersey doesn’t bring you closer to being on the team) And no matter how much you’d want it, you’ll never be more than a passive observer to it. Real life means being able to take an active role.

PS: No, Koivu getting cancer doesn’t change the fact that he’s a character in a fantasy world. Plenty of people get cancer every day, and we don’t care about them, they don’t fit any narrative, they are just a statistic. If we really cared about Koivu, the person, getting cancer, then we’d be forced to care about all others, and stop spending our time in fantasy worlds like the NHL and actually do something to help them.

Dude....makes no sense at all. We care because we know Saku. We have a history with him. We always care more about what hits close to home. Hearing about the misfortunes of someone we have never heard about dosent strike the same chord as hearing about the misfortunes of someone you know (personally or not) because it's not random anymore...its closer to you. And hockey is not a fantasy world. It's entertainment in a the real world. One of the things that makes us different from animals....the ability to enjoy things.

When you have empathy you get joy from watching others live something joyful. That's why we get teary eyed when someone achieves something after a long life of trying.