HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price considered 8th best goalie in the league

Old
09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
shortcat1

vCash: 500
Carey Price considered 8th best goalie in the league

According to an article by Chris Nicols in Sportsnet.ca, Carey Price is considered the 8th best goalie in the league. Ahead of him, in order, are Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundquist, Luongo, Gigučre, Turco & Fleury. Just below him, in 9th & 10th, are Kiprusoff & Osgood.

Keep in mind that this list is a 'fantasy' list and takes into account the players in front of the goalies.

The description of Price's rating is: "Carey Price, Montreal: Playoff follies should fuel this leaner, rising star’s first full season.
BACK UP THREAT LEVEL: Halak is impressive; Denis is a question mark. This is Carey’s team."

Note that there's no mention of players in front of him having an impact like it mentions for Gigučre, Fleury & Osgood.

I'm just taking this as an extrapolation to seeing these goaltenders as to their real comparative 'bestness' (ability, technique, etc.) Maybe we'll even have a discussion on Price's actual comparative rating.

Is Price really 8th best at this time? Is he actually better? Is he over-rated by Nichols?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. The list seems reasonable but only the end of the year will give us a better idea.

By the way, here's the article's webpage:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nicho...campaign=daily

Last edited by shortcat1: 09-16-2008 at 09:02 PM.
shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:51 PM
sampollock

well is his young, and needs to prove himself...

why would be classifed #1.

he has to earnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn it.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
According to an article by Chris Nicols in Sportsnet.ca, Carey Price is considered the 8th best goalie. Ahead of him, in order, are Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundquist, Luongo, Gigučre, Turco & Fleury. Just below him, in 9th & 10th, are Kiprusoff & Osgood.

Keep in mind that this list is a 'fantasy' list and takes into account the players in front of the goalies.

The description of Price's rating is: "Carey Price, Montreal: Playoff follies should fuel this leaner, rising star’s first full season.
BACK UP THREAT LEVEL: Halak is impressive; Denis is a question mark. This is Carey’s team."

Note that there's no mention of players in front of him having an impact like it mentions for Gigučre, Fleury & Osgood.

I'm just taking this as an extrapolation to seeing these goaltenders as to their real comparative 'bestness' (ability, technique, etc.) Maybe we'll even have a discussion on Price's actual comparative rating.

Is Price really 8th best at this time? Is he actually better? Is he over-rated by Nichols?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. The list seems reasonable but only the end of the year will give us a better idea.

i like his list, in fact that would be my list...
by the end of this year price will be in everybodies top 5 list, and you can book that ****

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Well I have Price pegged around 10-12 currently. Id put Kipprusoff higher than him for sure.

But the fact this is a fantasy list certainly makes it more credible in putting Carey in the top-8.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
well is his young, and needs to prove himself...

why would be classifed #1.

he has to earnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn it.
I'm not concerned about him being classified #1. I agree that he's young.

As to proving himself, don't they all have to do that on a yearly or even game-to-game basis? Even Brodeur's being considered #1 is always challenged by the others.

By the way, I still feel that Lundquist is over-rated. He is really good but I don't think he's as good as he's classified here. I don't have very much upon which to base my opinion so, an opinion only it remains.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Corey

Just so long as he's ahead of Miller, Toskala, Gerber, Thomas/Fernandez, Biron, Huet, Ward, Vokoun, DiPietro, etc.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I would probably have put Kiprusoff and Miller ahead of him but it's debatable.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-16-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would probably have put Kiprusoff and Miller ahead of tim but it's debatable.
Those are probably the only 2 behind Price that I might question as well.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
According to an article by Chris Nicols in Sportsnet.ca, Carey Price is considered the 8th best goalie in the league. Ahead of him, in order, are Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundquist, Luongo, Gigučre, Turco & Fleury. Just below him, in 9th & 10th, are Kiprusoff & Osgood.

What a joke!!!!!
First of all...Brodeur isn't the #1 goalie in the league. Luongo and Turco are ahead of him IMO. Second of all, Price is far from being the 8th best goalie in the league. There are tons of goalies that are light years ahead of him. The kid still has a lot to prove.

Don't get me wrong, I like Price and think he has the potential to be a great NHL goalie someday, but he's not there yet.....he has a lot of work ahead of him before he will earn my vote. His lack-luster play in the playoffs last year and the fact that he had a few bad games tells me that his mental game needs work. He needs to learn how to handle the pressure of the NHL and all its critics.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Patty Roy

Today Price certainly is not one of the top 10 goalies in the league.

However as was already pointed out, this article is ranking the goalies based on their "fantasy pool" rankings. Price should be very productive for poolers. He's a clear cut #1 on one of the top 5 teams in the league. He should get lots of starts, wins, have a good SV% and a few SO.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
THN also rated Montreal's goalies #1 in the league based on...some formula they worked out.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Tuggy

Price's glove hand in the second round makes everyone forget how dominant he was down the stretch and the second half of the season. But that's fine...they will remember soon enough

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Judge Sauer*

It's for a fantasy pool, why isn't Osgood still ahead?

I think I know THN's formula:
P(x) = a3x3 + a2x2 + a1x + a0 = Carey Price is #1

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
What a joke!!!!!
First of all...Brodeur isn't the #1 goalie in the league. Luongo and Turco are ahead of him IMO. Second of all, Price is far from being the 8th best goalie in the league. There are tons of goalies that are light years ahead of him. The kid still has a lot to prove.

Don't get me wrong, I like Price and think he has the potential to be a great NHL goalie someday, but he's not there yet.....he has a lot of work ahead of him before he will earn my vote. His lack-luster play in the playoffs last year and the fact that he had a few bad games tells me that his mental game needs work. He needs to learn how to handle the pressure of the NHL and all its critics.
Lol...Really? So winning the Vezina 4 out of the last five seasons (lock out not included) including last season. Does not make him the #1 goalie in the league? Both Turco and Luongo are amazing goalies, but neither has done enough to suggest they are ahead of Brodeur.

Also yes Price does have a lot to prove after his let down against the Flyers. But there are not tons of goalies that should be ranked ahead of him, at the most maybe 2 or 3.

Old
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Price's glove hand in the second round makes everyone forget how dominant he was down the stretch and the second half of the season. But that's fine...they will remember soon enough
Can you type fast with broken fingers? Didn't think so

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:33 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
According to an article by Chris Nicols in Sportsnet.ca, Carey Price is considered the 8th best goalie in the league.
Not good enough for many people here.

You see, Price was 20 years old, and at 20 years old, Patrick Roy won a Cup and a Conn Smythe.

Fortunately for Price, the comparisons get easier for a few years after that.

At 21 and 22, IN THE PLAYOFFS WHERE LEGENDS ARE MADE Roy was pretty poor, outgoaled by Hextall and then Lemelin I believe. Brian Hayward had to take over both years, Roy was so inconsistent.

At 23, he was good until outdueled by Vernon.

At 24, 25 and 26, he was gosh awful, terrible and embarassing, losing to Boston three more times.

So Carey Price has 6 more years to "right the ship" until he can be compared to a mature Roy at age 27 (1993 Cup and Conn Smythe).

But then again, at age 28, Roy stunk again (I think he was intimidated by Cam Neely and turned to mush) and at age 29, he had a whole season of mediocrity culminating in missing the playoffs.

At age 30, he won another Cup but by then he was with another team because of a clash of unfortunate prides.

It's ok, I have confidence in Carey Price!

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Bryzga lol*

The thing about the #8 position is that after this season, Price won't be anywhere near it. He'll either go up or down. I don't see him playing average hockey so he can maintain that position.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Lol...Really? So winning the Vezina 4 out of the last five seasons (lock out not included) including last season. Does not make him the #1 goalie in the league? Both Turco and Luongo are amazing goalies, but neither has done enough to suggest they are ahead of Brodeur.

Also yes Price does have a lot to prove after his let down against the Flyers. But there are not tons of goalies that should be ranked ahead of him, at the most maybe 2 or 3.
It's for the poolers...not a « real » list!

But anyways, I believe that with the team we have, Price could be a top 10 goaltender this season. The thing is that right now, we can't know...nobody can. We saw the best and the worst of Price last year, and when we saw the best, we saw a top 10 goaltender. When he was at his worst, it's wasn't that pretty. That being said, I think Price will have a decent season, and will at least be a top 15 goaltender at the tender age of 20.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
It's for the poolers...not a « real » list!

But anyways, I believe that with the team we have, Price could be a top 10 goaltender this season. The thing is that right now, we can't know...nobody can. We saw the best and the worst of Price last year, and when we saw the best, we saw a top 10 goaltender. When he was at his worst, it's wasn't that pretty. That being said, I think Price will have a decent season, and will at least be a top 15 goaltender at the tender age of 20.
Yes I understand that, my point still stands about Brodeur being the top goalie in the league and in fantasy hockey (one season only).

As for Price, yes we don't know if he's going to be as good as he was in the 2nd half of the season. Or as bad as he was in the playoffs against Philly. I've even said myself that there are a few goalies I would put ahead of Price, to knock him out of the top 10.

But to say that there are tons of goalies that should be listed ahead of Price. I don't buy that.

Old
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Yes I understand that, my point still stands about Brodeur being the top goalie in the league and in fantasy hockey (one season only).

As for Price, yes we don't know if he's going to be as good as he was in the 2nd half of the season. Or as bad as he was in the playoffs against Philly. I've even said myself that there are a few goalies I would put ahead of Price, to knock him out of the top 10.

But to say that there are tons of goalies that should be listed ahead of Price. I don't buy that.
I don't think Brodeur has to be #1 because he's the best goaltender. He's a safe pick, but probably not the best one. I would probably take Nabokov and Lundqvist ahead of him...but that will change from a person to another...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I don't think Brodeur has to be #1 because he's the best goaltender. He's a safe pick, but probably not the best one. I would probably take Nabokov and Lundqvist ahead of him...but that will change from a person to another...
Yeah I actually have Nabokov in my keeper league. Him or Lundqvist are safer picks , because of age (Lundqvist) or team (Nabokov). But for most fantasy leagues I've seen. Brodeur has finished 1st the past few years when it comes to goalie points.

Maybe that will change this year. But until it does, we can only go by past results and the past indicates that Brodeur should be ranked #1.

Old
09-17-2008, 10:02 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Price is one of my favorite goalies but he's not top 10, not yet. But he will be.

#1 as far as I'm concerned is Lundqvist. Even above Luongo.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Yeah I actually have Nabokov in my keeper league. Him or Lundqvist are safer picks , because of age (Lundqvist) or team (Nabokov). But for most fantasy leagues I've seen. Brodeur has finished 1st the past few years when it comes to goalie points.

Maybe that will change this year. But until it does, we can only go by past results and the past indicates that Brodeur should be ranked #1.

I wonder when Brodeur wont win 35 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Price is one of my favorite goalies but he's not top 10, not yet. But he will be.

#1 as far as I'm concerned is Lundqvist. Even above Luongo.
After this season I would bet most people would consider him a top 10 NHL goalie.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-17-2008 at 11:48 PM.
JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

But he's still the number one in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
More like a nice excuse provided to the Huet lovers/Habs haters to bash him.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would probably have put Kiprusoff and Miller ahead of him but it's debatable.
There while be quite a lot of talent in net in the east this year ... To me there are two categories and any of the guys in category A can steal a game by them selves at any time during the game... thats called parity! Oh and by the way I don't think guys in category B are that far away...

Gategory A: Brodeur, Ward, Lethonen, Vokoun, Price, Theodore, Miller, Fleury, Biron, Lunquist, Dipietro : Asside from theodore these are all tall goalies with lots of talent.

Category B: Toskala, Gerber, Smith, (Thomas/Fernandez)

Also in there analysis I am suprised they did not evaluate Pascal Leclair any higher...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote