HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Matty's take on the Oil/Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2004, 02:04 PM
thistle

vCash: 500
Matty's take on the Oil/Ovechkin

Not sure if this has been posted, but today's online Journal article from Matheson states that Lowe has contacted McPhee about the first overall pick and may offer up a package. Although from the sounds of it both Lowe is unsure that his will get it deal done.

"It's an immense longshot but the Edmonton Oilers are talking to the Washington Capitals about acquiring the first overall pick in Saturday's NHL entry draft so they can get Russian phenom Alexander Ovechkin."

Is this the sort of rhetoric that we've become acustom to from Lowe? Is he saying this just to give the appearance that he's doing something? Even if he can put something of interest together, are the Oilers viable enough to fork over the (rumoured) exorbant transfer fee?

What could get the deal done? 14th, 25th, Brewer, and Hemsky?

Old
06-23-2004, 02:15 PM
mackdogs*

Check the brownlee thread.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Mr Sakich

lowe should be fired if he didn't at least check out the asking price. He probably found the price of admission was astronomical and ended the conversation.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:29 PM
gongshow

The oil qualified isbisters contract... and with brewer coming off a sub par season... and the oil with a herd of defenceman waiting to come up brewer has become expandable so i was think maybe ship off isbister,the25th overall,rita and brewer or none the less the oilers are looking to move up and florida wants big guys so ship away the 25th overall pick and isbister for the 7th and i think that deal could be donde

Old
06-23-2004, 02:35 PM
sorgs20

Having a good look at the Caps suggests there best bet is to trade the pick. They have 1 legitimate NHL defenseman, and there forwards are horrible. Semin has good potential to be a scorer, but there other top prospects are of the defensive forward variety like Gordon and Sutherby.

The chance to aquire a solid defensman (Brewer) along with with a young NHL player (Hemsky) and likely another roster player and the 14th pick would go a long way in rebuilding the caps. If that is what the Oil would offer imagine what other teams may be throwing at Wash.

From an Oilers point of view I would do almost anything to aquire the 1st pick this yr of next. They need a goalscorer and there is not 1 on the way as it stands now. Not holding my breather however.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Not sure if this has been posted, but today's online Journal article from Matheson states that Lowe has contacted McPhee about the first overall pick and may offer up a package. Although from the sounds of it both Lowe is unsure that his will get it deal done.

"It's an immense longshot but the Edmonton Oilers are talking to the Washington Capitals about acquiring the first overall pick in Saturday's NHL entry draft so they can get Russian phenom Alexander Ovechkin."

Is this the sort of rhetoric that we've become acustom to from Lowe? Is he saying this just to give the appearance that he's doing something? Even if he can put something of interest together, are the Oilers viable enough to fork over the (rumoured) exorbant transfer fee?

What could get the deal done? 14th, 25th, Brewer, and Hemsky?
I imagine there's been at least 25 other NHL teams that had or are having the exact same conversation with the Caps.

I'd be utterly shocked if the Caps did trade the pick though...they need to sell tickets, and Ovechkin will sell more tickets than Brewer, Hemsky and free beer put together.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:52 PM
outKast*

In the article he also said there was a one in a billion chance of the oilers geting Ovechkin. I like our chances.

Old
06-23-2004, 06:32 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
they need to sell tickets, and Ovechkin will sell more tickets than Brewer, Hemsky and free beer put together.
I totally disagree with this... basically the sentiment that a superstar will help draw crowds in non-hockey markets. Jagr sure didn't pack 'em in.

I believe that winning fills arenas. Look at Tampa - they probably won't have any problem drawing more of an audience than last year. Florida had some good crowds in the years following their cup run... then when Bure showed up they started sucking again and you couldn't find a soul in the place. People like to be a part of a winner, but paying for a ticket to watch a losing team with a single superstar making two or three dazzling moves over a 2 1/4 hour time frame hardly seems worth it to the average fan.

IMO there are only two big things an organization can do to build a following in a non-hockey city: win and commit to a long-term program of grass-roots marketing aimed at children.

Old
06-23-2004, 06:48 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I totally disagree with this... basically the sentiment that a superstar will help draw crowds in non-hockey markets. Jagr sure didn't pack 'em in.

I believe that winning fills arenas. Look at Tampa - they probably won't have any problem drawing more of an audience than last year. Florida had some good crowds in the years following their cup run... then when Bure showed up they started sucking again and you couldn't find a soul in the place. People like to be a part of a winner, but paying for a ticket to watch a losing team with a single superstar making two or three dazzling moves over a 2 1/4 hour time frame hardly seems worth it to the average fan.

IMO there are only two big things an organization can do to build a following in a non-hockey city: win and commit to a long-term program of grass-roots marketing aimed at children.
I agree 110%

Superstars will sell 20 extra season tickets, winning will sell 2000 extra season tickets.

06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
lowe should be fired if he didn't at least check out the asking price.
Exactly. Can you imagine if Lowe never even called the Caps and then Ovechkin wound up wearing that hideous rag with the flaming C on it?

Old
06-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I agree 110%

Superstars will sell 20 extra season tickets, winning will sell 2000 extra season tickets.
We're not talking about a superstar though...we're talking about the most hyped #1 overall pick since Lindros.

Potential can sometimes be a more powerful seller than current performance when it comes to enticing disenchanted fans back into the arena. Of course winning ultimately sells, but you need hope to sell first.

If you're a Caps fan who just went through a nightmare season and saw all your 'superstars' auctioned off at 20 cents on the dollar, and your team just lucked into the #1 overall choice via lottery, PLUS the #1 overall pick looks to be arguably the best player to come around in over a decade...would you want to see this glorious chance traded away for a lesser talent in Hemsky and a talented but inconsistent dman who might not be around once your team becomes respectable again?

Long term, perhaps the Caps become a better overall team and the season ticket sales would positively reflect that. Short term, I could imagine the fans having a revolt.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
We're not talking about a superstar though...we're talking about the most hyped #1 overall pick since Lindros.
I think that Brendl had as much hype as Ovechkin does right now, don't you?

Speaking of that draft year, McCabe went for a Sedin at #2 or 3. I wonder if we could put together a similar deal for Malkin.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Perhaps he did, but I don't remember it as such.

Anyway, hopefully in a couple of days we can put all of this to rest and see what happens. I have to admit, the suspense is somewhat killing me.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:25 PM
hockeyaddict101

Enough talk already.

Lets get on with the draft.

It just seems this week is dragging, doesn't it.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
No, he was hyped, but not like this. Some peopel say that this kid is thought more of by scouts then Lindros.

Closed Thread