HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are you satisified with Lang ?

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the acquisition of Lang ?
Very disappointed 5 1.61%
Slightly disappointed 25 8.04%
Indifferent 27 8.68%
Satisfied 195 62.70%
Very satisfied 59 18.97%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Bit early to answer completely.

Am I happy they acquired Lang? It was a pretty good deal. We give up Grabo for a pick and Patteryn. We trade the pick to Chicago for lang. Grabo for Patteryn and Lang? Good deal

Only time will tell if he fits well. I suspect that he will take the talent on our team up a good notch from last year. It will fill out a third line nicely directly or indirectly.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Brisk-Illusion

If you would have told me on June 31st that the only signings were going to be Lang, Laraque and Brisebois, I would have been a bit disappointed.

Two overpaid part-time role players, and a notoriously slow 37 year old 3rd line center who's supposed to center one of the fastest group of wingers in the league (Lats not withstanding ) who's getting paid as much as the versatile PP quarterback coming into his prime whom we let go for nothing.

I hope I'm wrong and Lang puts up 70 points, Brisebois finds a regular place on the top PP unit, and that Larague disfigures half the Leafs' and Bruins' team.

But right now, I'm in the disappointed column.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:31 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post

I hope I'm wrong and Lang puts up 70 points, Brisebois finds a regular place on the top PP unit, and that Larague disfigures half the Leafs' and Bruins' team.

For Lang to pop 70 points one of Koivu or Plekanec would have to be out of the line up for a long time.

Lang was signed because he is right handed - will get some PP time and because he is a big center. Lang is responsible at both ends of the ice.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not doing cartwheels down my street. But I'm satisfied that Lang will fit nicely into our line up.

09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
BLONG7

Lang was a +9 on the Hawks last year, with 54 pts...not bad...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Lang was a +9 on the Hawks last year, with 54 pts...not bad...
Basically the same production as Koivu last year.

Koivu - 77GP - 16G - 40A - 56P
Lang - 76GP - 21G - 33A - 54P

Not bad at all...

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Toro

im ok with it, it doesn't upset anything and gives carbo more options than having smolinski or chipchura in the 3rd center position.

Im not happy with his salary but happy it is for only the one yr.

The canadiens are set with 3 offensive lines and enough 4th liners for 2 lines.

Plus tons of depth in hamilton and some that will ripen sometime this season.

The brass is ready to start the season with what they have. Lets see if any youngsters are ready in preseason and than full steam ahead.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:55 PM
le_sean

Finally a centre that can step up to a Top 6 role if someone goes down to injury. Bonk and Smolinski were not able to do that effectively.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:22 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Finally a centre that can step up to a Top 6 role if someone goes down to injury. Bonk and Smolinski were not able to do that effectively.
That's a good point, but now I don't think Sergei will even get a shot at center, which is something I would've liked him to try for a few weeks.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Mustafa*

Girls have always been satisfied with my Lang(ue).

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:56 AM
sean84*

well an relly satisfied lol the habs coodent wait affter sundin nonger so lang was the best opshon avallable lol nd well wiff him the habs has 3 good lines now lol

sean84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:59 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean84 View Post
well an relly satisfied lol the habs coodent wait affter sundin nonger so lang was the best opshon avallable lol nd well wiff him the habs has 3 good lines now lol
huh... yeah, ok, sure...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
how about we try writing that in english now.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:41 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Slightly disappointed - Havlat was a better option, imo.
No way.

Quote:
Hi there.... I just wanted to clarify if you were joking or not, never seen you post before. It's OK if you aren't but I'm really curious now

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-17-2008 at 10:23 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Happy with the player we got, since he fills a need, but disappointed in the price we paid. Since Chicago had to get under the cap, Gainey shouldn't have had to give up a potential high 2nd rounder. He should have had Tallon over a barrel in negotiations. Look at what Burke, who is also in cap trouble, got for Schnieder. Zilch. I really don't think Lang at 4mil is a much better buy than Schnieder at 5.7mil.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 09-17-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Bonk, Lang. All big softies look the same to me.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Universe
Eh?

I'm very happy with the pickup.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Very early but I'm very glad he joined the group, he's gonna own with Kovy on the PP.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Marksman

I'm happy with this. Also I'm pretty sure Gainey knows something about Sundin we dont - and made his conclusion seeing he wasnt coming.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Iwishihadacup

I am more happy to gain Lang than seeing us wait and then get swooped on the Sundin sweepstakes

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Happy with the player we got, since he fills a need, but disappointed in the price we paid. Since Chicago had to get under the cap, Gainey shouldn't have had to give up a potential high 2nd rounder. He should have had Tallon over a barrel in negotiations. Look at what Burke, who is also in cap trouble, got for Schnieder. Zilch. I really don't think Bonk at 4mil is a much better buy than Schnieder at 5.7mil.
Dont you mean Lang?

Burke and Anaheim has Teemu Selänne to sign - and I would say there are quite a few more teams that could have fitted 4 million dollar player under their cap space - theres an actual market, even.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Dont you mean Lang?

Burke and Anaheim has Teemu Selänne to sign - and I would say there are quite a few more teams that could have fitted 4 million dollar player under their cap space - theres an actual market, even.
Dohhhhh!

I know, I'd expect Lang to have more trade value due to a number of factors. But I didn't expect the difference to be a high 2nd and nothing. I think Gainey may have paid a bit much for one year of Lang.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Ishmael

I don't think anyone can disagree that Sundin would have been much better, but Bob did the right thing for the good of the team. He waited until the point when it may have been a distraction.

Then, he filled the roster hole as best he could, without missing his opportunity (probably another team would have traded for him). The team has been pretty significantly upgraded this summer, without sacrificing any of the future. How can that not be satisfying?

I would guess that Bob gave up the Leafs' pick because another team was offering a 2nd round pick that was a bit higher, but we'll never know that.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Lone Rogue

Sundin would have been better, but clearly, Gainey felt that Sundin wasn't coming or else he wouldn't have shut the door. I think a lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves when Sundin announces his retirement.

I am very happy with Lang. I'm getting tired of people calling him a third line center. Montreal does not have a "third" line anymore. We don't have a "second" line either. We have three scoring lines and a checking line. We got six wingers who can all produce at 40-80 points with the right playing time, PP time and linemate support, then we have three centermen who can produce between 50-80 points with the right playing time, PP time and winger support. That is awesome. With only two scoring lines we were able to score more goals than any other team in the NHL.

And with all of that said, this team is absolutely solid when it comes to dealing with injuries. Plekanec goes down? Lang or Koivu moves onto his line, and Lapierre can go off the wing and back into a center position. One of the Kostitsyn's go down? Call up a youngster like D'Agostini or Pacioretty for a few games. We have absolutely no worries up front.

262 goals last season, without Lang, without Tanguay.

Lets make it 300 this year.

Edit: The guy drove 12 hours from Chicago to Montreal just to arrive with enough time to get a little shut eye then skate for the team. That is god damn commitment.

Last edited by Lone Rogue: 09-17-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

And with all of that said, this team is absolutely solid when it comes to dealing with injuries. Plekanec goes down? Lang or Koivu moves onto his line, and Lapierre can go off the wing and back into a center position. One of the Kostitsyn's go down? Call up a youngster like D'Agostini or Pacioretty for a few games. We have absolutely no worries up front.

I agree completely. I'm worried though, as our outlook on dealing with defensive injuries is much worse. If Markov goes down, I'm not sure what we'd do, though isn't it like that every year?

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
1UP

Carle and Weber, on D, are probably ready to play a few games in the big leagues.

I'm not that afraid on defense.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote