HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trivia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2008, 11:24 AM
  #1
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Trivia

Who was first Hab to wear a helmet? Visor?

I don't know the answer...hoping some of you may

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
  #2
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
My best guess is Jacques Plante...But I am a recent hockey fan.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:29 AM
  #3
MtlSportsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St-Lazare
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
great question, I'd like to know who the last Hab was to NOT wear a helmet...someone must know that.

I think McTavish was the last player in the league to not wear a helmet.

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:30 AM
  #4
MtlSportsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St-Lazare
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Last to wear....Robinson ?? I know Gainey wore one at the end of his career.

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:34 AM
  #5
Ra
satan is my homie
 
Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlSportsFan View Post
Last to wear....Robinson ?? I know Gainey wore one at the end of his career.


EDIT: imageshack doesn't work anymore?


Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
  #6
Phil Parent
Moderator
HALL PASS BRAH!!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 500
Steve Shutt wore one in 72. The earliest I can think of.

Aurel Joliat wore a toque in 1922, if that counts.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
  #7
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
The first helmeted player I remember is Red Berenson, but I have no idea if he was the first.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:21 PM
  #8
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The first helmeted player I remember is Red Berenson, but I have no idea if he was the first.
I remember Berenson wore one. Didn't Jean-Claude Tremblay wear one ? Would that be before Berenson ?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
  #9
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlSportsFan View Post
great question, I'd like to know who the last Hab was to NOT wear a helmet...someone must know that.

I think McTavish was the last player in the league to not wear a helmet.
That's an easy one - Kovalev during the playoffs - and he eve scored

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
  #10
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
I remember for the '92-93 season the NHL allowed players the option of wearing a helmet or not. One Hab, Todd Ewen foolishly took his helmet off for a few games. So, I would guess he would be the last helmetless Hab

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:58 PM
  #11
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I remember Berenson wore one. Didn't Jean-Claude Tremblay wear one ? Would that be before Berenson ?
I can't remember if JC always wore one or began at some point during the late 60's, I believe Bobby Rousseau came into the league without one then began wearing it after a year or 2.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:00 PM
  #12
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,727
vCash: 255
On November 30th, 1966 in a game against Toronto,(JC) Tremblay and teammate Bobby Rousseau became the first players to permanently wear a helmet. Unfortunately, this helped contribute at the time to Tremblay’s soft image.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1462

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
  #13
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
On November 30th, 1966 in a game against Toronto,(JC) Tremblay and teammate Bobby Rousseau became the first players to permanently wear a helmet. Unfortunately, this helped contribute at the time to Tremblay’s soft image.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1462
Funny they say that, Berenson was on the team before that and could be considered a regular in that he played the full 64-65 and I'm sure that he wore the helmet.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
  #14
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,727
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Funny they say that, Berenson was on the team before that and could be considered a regular in that he played the full 64-65 and I'm sure that he wore the helmet.
It's definitely possible mcphee, the 64-65 season was a bit before my time. My guess would have been Tremblay from watching old footage of the Habs.

For the hell of it I tried looking it up, and that site was the first one I came across.

Edit: I just quickly called my uncle who is also a huge Hab fan. He seems to agree with you and say Berenson was the first.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
  #15
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's definitely possible mcphee, the 64-65 season was a bit before my time. My guess would have been Tremblay from watching old footage of the Habs.

For the hell of it I tried looking it up, and that site was the first one I came across.

Edit: I just quickly called my uncle who is also a huge Hab fan. He seems to agree with you and say Berenson was the first.
I vaguely remember the talk about Berenson being one of the rare helmeted guys, there was a guy who came up with Boston and went on to the North Stars, might have been their first captain, Charlie Burns, also a product of the NCAA. In those days the few NCAA guys wore the helmets. My guess is that there were previous guys who wore them after specific injuries.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
  #16
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,727
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I vaguely remember the talk about Berenson being one of the rare helmeted guys, there was a guy who came up with Boston and went on to the North Stars, might have been their first captain, Charlie Burns, also a product of the NCAA. In those days the few NCAA guys wore the helmets. My guess is that there were previous guys who wore them after specific injuries.
I remember reading that not long after Bill Masterton died of a head injury in the late 60's. That it became mandatory for all college and junior players to wear helmets. Plus from looking at the footage from that time period there seemed to be a handful of NHL players wearing helmets.

Edit: Bill Masterton's injury was on January 13, 1968. He died 48 hours later.

I also looked up Charlie Burns, how you remember these names off the top of your head baffles me.

While playing junior hockey with the Toronto Marlboros, Charlie Burns suffered a fractured skull that almost ended his career. But he underwent surgery to have a metal plate inserted in his head and made a courageous comeback, wearing a heavily padded helmet in all games and practices during his professional hockey career until he was 38.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=12156

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
  #17
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I remember reading that not long after Bill Masterton died of a head injury in the late 60's. That it became mandatory for all college and junior players to wear helmets. Plus from looking at the footage from that time period there seemed to be a handful of NHL players wearing helmets.

Edit: Bill Masterton's injury was on January 13, 1968. He died 48 hours later.

I also looked up Charlie Burns, how you remember these names off the top of your head baffles me.

While playing junior hockey with the Toronto Marlboros, Charlie Burns suffered a fractured skull that almost ended his career. But he underwent surgery to have a metal plate inserted in his head and made a courageous comeback, wearing a heavily padded helmet in all games and practices during his professional hockey career until he was 38.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=12156
It's hockey cards. The pictures and info stuck with me. I couldn't forget this stuff if I wanted to. I thought Burns was a coillege guy for some reason. Oh well.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
  #18
Phil Parent
Moderator
HALL PASS BRAH!!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
It's hockey cards. The pictures and info stuck with me. I couldn't forget this stuff if I wanted to. I thought Burns was a coillege guy for some reason. Oh well.
That is VERY true. Being in my 20's, it's the early to mid 90's cards I remember but it is very true, the name sticks to the image sticks to the info on the back of the card and you build yourself a memory for it.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.