HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Schneider cleared waivers!!!!!!!!

Old
09-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
If no one claims him *highly unlikely*, he would be sent to the Ducks farm team. The second part I bolded is correct.
I wonder if the Ducks would even bother trying him on recall waivers? How much do they need to clear off their cap? Maybe more than half his salary. And I think at the age he signed, you can't remove his cap hit by sending him to the minors, no? It would be kind of funny on the Ducks if nobody claimed him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Peronnaly i don't think that neither Bouillon, Dand'neault or Bégin could interest any team in the NHL, including L.A. and Atlanta or even the Islanders. They will stay in Montreal till their contracts expire (next year) unless we shop them with a prospect.
Lots of teams would take a guy like Bouillon even at 1.8. Dandenault it would be tough. Begin it depends, I'm sure somebody out there would add him for git and depth.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
that would be possible.

We unload Dandenault 1.725m$, Begin 1.064m$, Bouillon 1.875m$ current cap space 1m$ = 5.664m$
Schneider : 5.625m$
No it wouldnt. You need one or two extras guys, thats, what, half a million minimum per player?

Or are you going to go with 18 skater roster and Brisebois?

Last edited by Marksman: 09-17-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
No it wouldnt. You need one or two extras guys, thats, what, half a million minimum per player?

Or are you going to go with 18 skater roster and Brisebois?

Bouillon, Dandy and Bégin are part of a 23 player roster that puts the cap space at 1 mil.

So substract three players and add one (Schneider), that makes it 21 players, Breezer included, NOT 19, like you said.

Now, to make some space for injuries for further down the season (as the cap is tallied up in a per-game manner once the season starts, so any AHL player only coming here for several weeks will only count against the cap for those several weeks), we send Chips down to the AHL and take Stewart on the team, this would give us 450K of free space, and a 21 player roster, 20 being the minimum and 23 the maximum.

May I remind you that the cap space for the minimum/maximum roster is counted just before the season starts, but once the season starts, teams can go over the cap as long as by the end of the season, they aren't over it.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
May I remind you that the cap space for the minimum/maximum roster is counted just before the season starts, but once the season starts, teams can go over the cap as long as by the end of the season, they aren't over it.
I believe you are wrong. I am pretty sure the cap is calculated on a week by week basis during the season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I believe you are wrong. I am pretty sure the cap is calculated on a week by week basis during the season.
Actually the cap payroll (Actual club salary) is calculated per week for player compensation at the end of year, because players are paid on a weekly basis. You know, like Brière who has a cap hit of 6,5 but actually makes 10 mil, his 10 mil is divided by the number of weeks in a season. The cap for the upper limit is calculated per game when players are on the roster. Cap hit salary divided by the number of games.

I haven't actually read that part in the CBA, but that is the understanding I had of it when I talked to other people about it.

EDIT : I just checked and the actual club salary (not the cap hit) is calculated DAILY, as per 50.2 C).

And as mentioned before it stipulates that the actual club salary is "utilized to calculate the league-wide player compensation" which they compare to league wide revenues to know what precentage of the escrow accounts they will give back.

EDIT : The cap payroll room for the "average cap salary" is calculated daily with an aggregated amount of the all the roster's player's salaries divided by the number of days in the season. 50.5 d)-1

Last edited by Ozymandias: 09-17-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Schneider cleared waivers!!!!!!!!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...1&blogger_id=1

It seems teams are probably intent on picking him at half his salary, not his full salary.

Old
09-17-2008, 11:44 AM
HuetIs39

Wow...

HuetIs39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
There`s a bunch of vultures flying circles around the Portland Pirates right now waiting for old man Schneider to come back up to the league

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I can't believe LA didn't take him. I thought they needed to reach the cap floor.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

While I don't believe we will have a chance to pick him, can we pick him now at re-entry and waive Dandenault? Though at re-entry with half of his salary, we shouldn't be the first team interested....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-17-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:57 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I hope they send him down and put him through re entry.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Artyukhin*

no market for a 39 yr old making 5.6 miillion isnt surprising .

at half tho he does become good value and he wont last long enough for us to claim him .

poor Ducks

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Will the Ducks have enough to resign Selanne with half of Schneider's salary? This is just getting really really funny.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I hope they send him down and put him through re entry.
we still would not have a shot at him.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
TomPlex

Could this have anything to do with Calgary placing Nilson on waivers?

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Will the Ducks have enough to resign Selanne with half of Schneider's salary? This is just getting really really funny.
Actually, no. They are 3,235 mil over the cap... half of Schneider's salary is 2,875... but I'm not sure if it counts against the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Could this have anything to do with Calgary placing Nilson on waivers?
Why would it be? Anaheim doesn't have first bid for entry waivers, Nilsson will probably be picked-up way before Anaheim gets its hands on him.

Old
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Marksman

Quote:

Bouillon, Dandy and Bégin are part of a 23 player roster that puts the cap space at 1 mil.

So substract three players and add one (Schneider), that makes it 21 players, Breezer included, NOT 19, like you said.

Now, to make some space for injuries for further down the season (as the cap is tallied up in a per-game manner once the season starts, so any AHL player only coming here for several weeks will only count against the cap for those several weeks), we send Chips down to the AHL and take Stewart on the team, this would give us 450K of free space, and a 21 player roster, 20 being the minimum and 23 the maximum.

You see I'm not talking about 23-man roster.

I was trying to be careful, talking about SKATERS, meaning to exclude goaltenders.

This because having backup goalie does not help if you're short in front or blueline.

I see atleast couple problems with that scheme. What do you do when you have one or more players that are bruised and need rest with busy part of the schedule - or bench players on cold streak? Thats taking a major tool away from your coach.

With this plan after 2-3 injuries we're starting to look like AHL team (we're not THAT deep on the farm). Aso with that tiny margin left theres no adjusting on the trade deadlines - running payroll that tight could force GM making into budget decisions - IMO we should have the best players any given minute, even if it is Chipchura over Stewart.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Actually, no. They are 3,235 mil over the cap... half of Schneider's salary is 2,875... but I'm not sure if it counts against the cap.
If put on re-entry half would be on Anaheims cap... half on his new team's cap.

Schneider would count against anaheim's cap even if in the minors... was over 35 when he signed.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:13 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

at half tho he does become good value and he wont last long enough for us to claim him .

poor Ducks
It could also be an indication that Burkie pissed off other GM's significantly enough during this Schneider trade negotiations that they wanted to see Burkie get what's coming to him.

Man! It's simply incredible that not one team wanted to pickup Schneider for $5M.

It's also telling in that now that Bob has Lang, he may be just willing to play out this year with the young D that we have in the system and if none can cut it, get someone like Schneider at the trade deadline...

How good it would have been to have Markov and Schneider manning the two PP units! Oh well...

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Indeed no. Granted, they could do other things like run with a 20-21 man roster, including starting Bobby Ryan and his bonus-laden entry-level deal in the minors, and perhaps that plus shedding Schneider on re-entry waivers would give them enough room to both get under the cap and then sign Selanne (still to a massively sweet hometown discount contract on the order of $2M per year).

What they should probably do is just trade Schneider for some "dead salary" that they can send down. It'd be kind of ruthless, but I don't see what choice they have, since they basically do have to clear his whole salary.

So in that event, you'd be looking at a deal like Dandenault for Schneider, but the Ducks will just McGillisize Dandenault's salary when he shows up. Perhaps there are a few other cases like that, or LTIR cases like Hatcher/Rathje that they could turn to. Seems like that's more likely than them putting him on recall waivers.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Burke can't manage a team at all. He came in, got all of murray's picks and won the cup, he did make a good deal in getting pronger tho, which greatly helped them win the cup. However, last year he signed bertuzzi at 4 mil a year for 2 years and schneider for 2 years. He bought out one, and might have to do re-entry on another. That's incredible.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
You see I'm not talking about 23-man roster.

I was trying to be careful, talking about SKATERS, meaning to exclude goaltenders.

This because having backup goalie does not help if you're short in front or blueline.

I see atleast couple problems with that scheme. What do you do when you have one or more players that are bruised and need rest with busy part of the schedule - or bench players on cold streak? Thats taking a major tool away from your coach.

With this plan after 2-3 injuries we're starting to look like AHL team (we're not THAT deep on the farm). Aso with that tiny margin left theres no adjusting on the trade deadlines - running payroll that tight could force GM making into budget decisions - IMO we should have the best players any given minute, even if it is Chipchura over Stewart.
Anyway, it's a moot point now, because if we actually put our hands on Schneider (unlikely as we are 27th to pick) he will be at half salary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
If put on re-entry half would be on Anaheims cap... half on his new team's cap.

Schneider would count against anaheim's cap even if in the minors... was over 35 when he signed.
Ouch, that means Anaheim would still be over the cap by 360k... still no space for Selanne...

I once considered to continu the legacy of the Gainey with a new one, the Burke , but I've now changed my mind, it should be the Burke

Old
09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

poor Ducks

well, he's got 1 year left, he's free(nothing to trade) and his stats aren't bad at all. If we didn't sign brisebois and could rid ourselves of dandy, I would've made the space for him.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:21 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Indeed no. Granted, they could do other things like run with a 20-21 man roster, including starting Bobby Ryan and his bonus-laden entry-level deal in the minors, and perhaps that plus shedding Schneider on re-entry waivers would give them enough room to both get under the cap and then sign Selanne (still to a massively sweet hometown discount contract on the order of $2M per year).

What they should probably do is just trade Schneider for some "dead salary" that they can send down. It'd be kind of ruthless, but I don't see what choice they have, since they basically do have to clear his whole salary.

So in that event, you'd be looking at a deal like Dandenault for Schneider, but the Ducks will just McGillisize Dandenault's salary when he shows up. Perhaps there are a few other cases like that, or LTIR cases like Hatcher/Rathje that they could turn to. Seems like that's more likely than them putting him on recall waivers.

Agreed. As costic as Burkie gets which pisses off other teams, he isn't a stupid man.

I think that instead of hoping for a re-entry waiver claim, Burkie may trade Schneider for some 'dead salary' as you call it.

This might be a great opportunity for Bob to get in on the action with someone like Dandy... if Bob's still interested, that is. I hope that he does.

David is offline   Reply With Quote