HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timmins on Emelin (Good News)

Old
09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Timmins on Emelin (Good News)

Didn't see it posted, but there's a long (13 min) interview today on habsinsideout.com with Timmons (http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...es/timmins.MP3). Says that Emelin has told him he is ready to come over to North America next year after his current 2-year russian deal is over. it's the most optimistic i've heard. the emelin piece begins around minute 7:30 to about 8:30; there's another mention of emelin around minute 11, followed by a less promising take on trunev (less promising in the sense that he's less certain about coming over).

Love listening to timmins discuss our picks. Best line of the interview was when he was asked about what kind of player valentenko is. response: "a big ol' country boy" (ie. tough and strong) with a killer shot.

Man, sometimes it is mind-boggling to keep track of the talent potential we have coming up the pipes, particularly on D:
McDo
Webber
Subban
Valentenko
Emelin
fischer
carle

Anyway, check out timmins

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
nilan30

I think it's time to quit draft foreigners that dont really have their heart set on coming to play in the NHL. Especially when there're just as capable home grown boys dying to have a shot to play in the league. I think that has started already mind you..seems like the Habs are getting the message.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
GoldenForum

Did you listen to timmins? sounds like emelin really WANTS to come over and play.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Like those Kostitsyns, they don't have their hearts set on this game. Especially not Sergei.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Like those Kostitsyns, they don't have their hearts set on this game. Especially not Sergei.

Plekanec, Markov, Koivu.... Taking the job of guys like Dandenault.....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I think it's time to quit draft foreigners that dont really have their heart set on coming to play in the NHL. Especially when there're just as capable home grown boys dying to have a shot to play in the league. I think that has started already mind you..seems like the Habs are getting the message.
ALL the players in our top-6 last year were foreigners. So were all our top-4 Ds. Many of them were drafted by the Habs, and they're pretty much the reason the franchise isn't garbage any more. You might not consider Americans foreigners for some reason, so you can take out a couple guys I suppose, but that's still obviously a silly thing to say. Where would the team have been last year without the likes of Plekanec and the Kostitsyns?

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I thought his name was Yemelin.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to come over next year but...we're going to have a lot of young D that need a chance at the same time.

Valentenko, Carle, & Emelin are going to be knocking at the door at the same time. Guess there is too much of a good thing sometimes.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to come over next year but...we're going to have a lot of young D that need a chance at the same time.

Valentenko, Carle, & Emelin are going to be knocking at the door at the same time. Guess there is too much of a good thing sometimes.
You're right, there will not be spots for all if they're all *equally* developed by that time. But as far as too much of a good thing, I doubt it.... to me that's "competition" and any of those guys could be 1-3 years away (notwithstanding, of course, what we see in camp this year.)

It has always seemed to me to be very, very unlikely that every one of our D prospects pans out as advertised - just going on a hunch, nothing else - so I'll stick with moderate expectatations and if we get 2 of these guys into our lineup within the next 3 years we're probably going to be quite pleased.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
You're right, there will not be spots for all if they're all *equally* developed by that time. But as far as too much of a good thing, I doubt it.... to me that's "competition" and any of those guys could be 1-3 years away (notwithstanding, of course, what we see in camp this year.)

It has always seemed to me to be very, very unlikely that every one of our D prospects pans out as advertised - just going on a hunch, nothing else - so I'll stick with moderate expectatations and if we get 2 of these guys into our lineup within the next 3 years we're probably going to be quite pleased.
Unfortunately, I think at least 1 of these youngsters will get away and have a successful NHL career elsewhere.

Old
09-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

You're probably right. Just like it's "Korneyev"

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:12 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Valentenko, Carle, & Emelin are going to be knocking at the door at the same time.
Considering his need to adapt to NA rinks, I'd say that regardless of how much older and how much more experienced he is, Emelin will be knocking at least a full season behind the other two...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
tinyzombies

It was a good idea for Yemelin to play in Russia. He got his guaranteed money and he developed his game at the same time. I think this is the future. Now he's set for life and has no worries, he can come over and play hard for us.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
mcphee

Quote:
My Dad and his generation used to use 'foreigners'a lot. WEe use it too but only when we're doing sort of a parody of him.

Now even Grampa mcphee, bless his heart, refers to players as , 'what's his name, that Russian lad, what's his name ?'

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
It was a good idea for Yemelin to play in Russia. He got his guaranteed money and he developed his game at the same time. I think this is the future. Now he's set for life and has no worries, he can come over and play hard for us.
I think it's early to say that, since we need to see how he does over here to see if it was actually good for him, at least in terms of development Plus it's been said that his development has stalled a bit over there as his ice time has been cut back, last year he was dropped to the 3rd pairing and so far this year he's getting the 2nd least amount of ice time among the defensemen on his team.

But if he comes over we'll get to see how he does and where he matches up against the rest of our young D. I used to think that Emelin was ahead of Valentenko and by a good bit (wasn't the biggest Valentenko fan until this past season) but now I'd say Valentenko is ahead, he's looking great and should be an NHLer in the near future. Until Emelin comes over it's hard to say how he will fare over here, while I do think he migh actually do better in North America then in Russia, as the smaller ice might benefit his style more.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think it's early to say that, since we need to see how he does over here to see if it was actually good for him, at least in terms of development Plus it's been said that his development has stalled a bit over there as his ice time has been cut back, last year he was dropped to the 3rd pairing and so far this year he's getting the 2nd least amount of ice time among the defensemen on his team.

But if he comes over we'll get to see how he does and where he matches up against the rest of our young D. I used to think that Emelin was ahead of Valentenko and by a good bit (wasn't the biggest Valentenko fan until this past season) but now I'd say Valentenko is ahead, he's looking great and should be an NHLer in the near future. Until Emelin comes over it's hard to say how he will fare over here, while I do think he migh actually do better in North America then in Russia, as the smaller ice might benefit his style more.
I really like everything I've seen of Emelin's game. The times I've seen hin in WJC,WC or whatever [admittedly limited] he seems to have a bit of everything you want in a D man. I have a hunch that you'd see him sooner rather than later with the big team. I won't argue the point because frankly, I'm going on limited exposure and wishful thinking, but I still worry that players like him, who can command what, 2-3 years at maybe 1-1.5, against a Russian team that could taregt him as a cornerstone d man.

Tough to compete in that situation.

Old
09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
nilan30

I don't think anyone can deny that there is a growing trend of foreigners getting drafted and leaving after a year or two or not coming over at all. Nowhere in my post did I say I don't like foreigners in the NHL, what I was implying was that unless a guy is a can't miss talent, I think when choosing between a North American guy and a foreigner of similar abilities, it is a much safer and smarter move to pick the local guy. And whether you guys like it or not, I think a lot of GMs are starting to feel the same way too.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:56 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
I don't think anyone can deny that there is a growing trend of foreigners getting drafted and leaving after a year or two or not coming over at all. Nowhere in my post did I say I don't like foreigners in the NHL, what I was implying was that unless a guy is a can't miss talent, I think when choosing between a North American guy and a foreigner of similar abilities, it is a much safer and smarter move to pick the local guy. And whether you guys like it or not, I think a lot of GMs are starting to feel the same way too.
The thing is a lot of the "foreigners" who are taken in late rounds are not scouted as much as the CHL players and therefore there are many steals found overseas. A lot of the time there is no one from North America that is a similar player to the European that is being chosen, i'm sure if Gainey/Timmins could've found a Canadian version of Maxim Trunev in this years draft they would've taken him as they wouldn't have to worry about whether he comes over or not.

If Timmins keeps finding studs in Europe, I don't care if 1 of every 2 comes over because for the most part his picks are always excellent and their definitely worth the risk.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
It's gonna be sad to see a couple of our amazing D prospects mature and hit their prime with other teams...oh well

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
My Dad and his generation used to use 'foreigners'a lot. WEe use it too but only when we're doing sort of a parody of him.

Now even Grampa mcphee, bless his heart, refers to players as , 'what's his name, that Russian lad, what's his name ?'
GRAMPA McPhee?

How old is he? 112?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:44 PM
JrHockeyFan

Sounds like great news, but it seems to me to be less a case of what the player really wants to do, and more what the Russian league wants to do

On a side note the London Knights drafted Korostin who was released to play for a lesser Jr loop in Texas. Now he cannot get a release to play in the CHL Strange way of doing things

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
It's gonna be sad to see a couple of our amazing D prospects mature and hit their prime with other teams...oh well
Yes, but:

1) We somehow have "first dip" on our pool. In other words, we can pick and choose the best prospect for our own team and them "let" the others go for other teams 'cause they are no more space in our lineup. That's the real appeal of prospect depth: the ability to choose.

2) Good D prospect are relatively easy to trade. Good right handed D prospect are even easier. And we have plenty of those.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
GRAMPA McPhee?

How old is he? 112?
He's only 83, 30 when I was born. Still loves hockey, has a comment after every game, but I don't think he's that clear on everything. He doesn't remember all the players, he knows Koivu and Higgins, used to like Ryder, and he runs all the Russian names together into one long name, like Kovaleverov, but he still enjoys it.

oh I get it, we call my Dad , Grampa , since our kids do.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Емелин is pronounced Yemelin in Russian. Don't worry about it.

Quote:
C'mon, for every Hossa that flips there's a Gomez. Souray left but Markov didn't. Sundin stayed with the Leafs for many, many years. You can't generalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
The thing is a lot of the "foreigners" who are taken in late rounds are not scouted as much as the CHL players and therefore there are many steals found overseas. A lot of the time there is no one from North America that is a similar player to the European that is being chosen, i'm sure if Gainey/Timmins could've found a Canadian version of Maxim Trunev in this years draft they would've taken him as they wouldn't have to worry about whether he comes over or not.

If Timmins keeps finding studs in Europe, I don't care if 1 of every 2 comes over because for the most part his picks are always excellent and their definitely worth the risk.
The Red Wings must have great European scouts.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Red Wings must have great European scouts.
and lucky ones. I can't remember if it was Datsyuk or Zetterberg but the Wings' scout was the only NHL scout able to get to one of his games. Reason being a few games were in a remote area and there was a vicious snowstorm preventing everyone else from getting to watch him.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
and lucky ones. I can't remember if it was Datsyuk or Zetterberg but the Wings' scout was the only NHL scout able to get to one of his games. Reason being a few games were in a remote area and there was a vicious snowstorm preventing everyone else from getting to watch him.
Give him credit for recommending Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote