HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates for a 9 month old

Old
09-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Hugh Madbrough

vCash: 500
hey it's your kid and you can do what you want. just seems a bit extreme to me. good luck with it.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
LilWinger11

As far as skates, the smallest "real" skates I've ever seen were a size 6, which would fit like an 18-month-old. I'm not sure those double-bladed skates would even adjust small enough for a 9-month-old, but can't think of anything else that would work. Keep in mind that those double-bladed skates aren't going to teach a kid to "skate"; they have next to no edge, and kids basically walk on the ice in them. When I teach classes of 3- and 4-year-olds, I can't tell a difference between the ones who have skated on double runners and the ones who have never skated.

My biggest worry about putting a kid this young on the ice wouldn't be finding skates, but finding a helmet. I would never recommend putting a kid on the ice the first time, especially this young, without one. A helmet that's too big isn't going to protect his head properly. I don't see anything wrong with putting a nine-month-old on the ice (although I don't think I'd do it myself) but I'd strongly encourage you to wait if you can't find a helmet his size. Even if you plan to hold him up on the ice, accidents can always happen, and a head injury to a kid that young could have serious consequences.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:56 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
My biggest concern is that at that age, the bones in the foot aren't as solid as they should be. I'm no doctor, but at that age, their foot hasn't developed nearly enough...

That's why I stated earlier that he should focus on walking first; develop the proper mechanics, and once he's mastered that, move on to the skating.

...but that's just me...

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:25 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I got a problem finding skates for my kid.

He is a little young, born in May, but he walks a little already and I am gooing to be off from work with him after christmas -- so I thought id skate some with him.

But I can't find small skates for him anywhere, does anyone got any tips? Whats the smallest skates that are out there? His feets will be like 12 cm, or 4,7 inches.
holy smokes, i started at 7... but at 9 months? that is way young for a kid to be skating (i think atleast)

someone wants themselves a pro hockey player

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
It really depends on the kid.

I wasn't walking until I was over a year. (I told people where I wanted to go...so they took me.) Where my brother was walking at 8 months. My dad had him in skates by a year.

09-17-2008, 05:34 PM
MikeD

Ice and Skating can be much more than simply hockey. For some it is a part of heritage. Skating and Sking were a required life skill for some, and still is for others to this day. Besides, the call is NunYA.

At least we know there is a place to get a well made skate for our littlest one.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote