HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pure Speculation: Could we Acquire Kovalchuk?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
  #26
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
To Atlanta:

Higgins
Chipchura
O'Byrne
Latendresse

To Montreal:

Kovalchuk
Arturs Kulda


Atlanta might consider...



Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
  #27
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
He'd be a really expensive short term acquisition who would go out into the UFA market and get top dollar. If he chose to come here, then great. But history kind of suggests it isn't going to happen.

But to get him would mean breaking up the team we have. We also only have 1 mm in cap room at the moment. Makes no sense on a lot of levels

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
  #28
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,104
vCash: 500
Gaborik is more likely to be traded this year, than Kovalchuk...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
  #29
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
"Trade Rumour Idea"
lmao pretty much

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
  #30
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 8,486
vCash: 500
never happen

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
  #31
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
I think the Habs could aquire Kovalchuk at the trade deadline. what do you think?

We have a cap space of 1 million dollars, .. If we drop Dandy (waivers) it becomes 2.7 million. The NHLPA will keep things going as is we can move .750 million to next year for Breezer... leaving us with 3.4 million at trade deadline.

Kovalchuk's salary is 6.389 million a year

we only need to have 2.13 million of cap space at the trade deadline. For the 09-10 season he's under contract, but Brisebois will be gone, and so will Bouillon, Lang, Begin, Kostopoulos, Tanguay ?, Kovalev? Koivu?

Which one would u keep to fit in under the cap? If you bring in Kovalchuk



* Getting Kovalchuk is possible, because he probably doesn't want to stay in Atlanta past 09-10, we can move our 1st and 2nd round pick for him (or more) for his services in the playoffs and 09-10 then resigning him past 09-10.
By the trade deadline, Kovalchuk will have signed a contract for at least the next six seasons but maybe double that.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
  #32
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears
 
Saint Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
To Atlanta:

Higgins
Chipchura
O'Byrne
Latendresse

To Montreal:

Kovalchuk
Arturs Kulda


Atlanta might consider...



Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
  #33
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Just a question. Why is there the word rumour in the title?

Are we discussing and evaluating the creation of a rumour ? Is that the difference between a "trade idea" and a "trade rumour idea"?
It's pre-season talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
He'd be a really expensive short term acquisition who would go out into the UFA market and get top dollar. If he chose to come here, then great. But history kind of suggests it isn't going to happen.

But to get him would mean breaking up the team we have. We also only have 1 mm in cap room at the moment. Makes no sense on a lot of levels
Waddle has been horrible in Atlanta. He just mite be foolish enough to do this(trading Kovalchuk). Personally, he is on is way out. Sure some will say he just did have some odd move. Heatly, Savard, Hossa, these guys or all top 30 at their position wen it come to numbers. The ship is sinking and fast.
Personally, it's not a good timing to get a guy like that. You built with this kind of player. We are looking for tweaks, not shocking. Atlanta would never get a great offer from a contender. By this I mean a few roster players. Never mind picks, I'm sure if Atlanta said to Bob, "hey what about all of your team's picks in the next draft, for Kovalchuk" . Bob Jumps on a plane and head to Atlanta to shake hand with Kovalchuk.

To point here is Kovalchuk, Mtl can't afford him in a trade.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-17-2008 at 10:35 PM.
otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:17 PM
  #34
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 500
If only we still had theodore

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
  #35
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
If only we still had theodore
Bob got something for him.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:32 AM
  #36
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Just a question. Why is there the word rumour in the title?

Are we discussing and evaluating the creation of a rumour ? Is that the difference between a "trade idea" and a "trade rumour idea"?
I'm sorry guys i messed up, there's absolutely no need for the word rumour in my title, I was "out of it" I guess.

Still the question remains regardless of whether or not I underrated Kovalchuk's trade value. The fact still remains that picking him up at the trade deadline would be an astute move because by then Waddel WILL have realised that he should move Kovy if he doesn't want to lose him for nothing.

If its moving Higgins, Pacioretty, a Pick, whomever, who would you make to walk the plank?

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:51 AM
  #37
habs86
Registered User
 
habs86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prince Albert, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
I think the Habs could aquire Kovalchuk at the trade deadline. what do you think?

We have a cap space of 1 million dollars, .. If we drop Dandy (waivers) it becomes 2.7 million. The NHLPA will keep things going as is we can move .750 million to next year for Breezer... leaving us with 3.4 million at trade deadline.

Kovalchuk's salary is 6.389 million a year

we only need to have 2.13 million of cap space at the trade deadline. For the 09-10 season he's under contract, but Brisebois will be gone, and so will Bouillon, Lang, Begin, Kostopoulos, Tanguay ?, Kovalev? Koivu?

Which one would u keep to fit in under the cap? If you bring in Kovalchuk



* Getting Kovalchuk is possible, because he probably doesn't want to stay in Atlanta past 09-10, we can move our 1st and 2nd round pick for him (or more) for his services in the playoffs and 09-10 then resigning him past 09-10.
sorry but i cant see it happening. did you smoke your dinner? just not a great idea IMO

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:19 AM
  #38
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Kovalchuk on the Habs but I don't think Bob is going to get into a long protracted trade discussion with Don Waddell again anytime soon.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-17-2008 at 10:35 PM.
24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
  #39
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
To Atlanta:

Higgins
Chipchura
O'Byrne
Latendresse

To Montreal:

Kovalchuk
Arturs Kulda


Atlanta might consider...
? You want to send 2 3rd line wingers, a 4th line center and O'Byrne and expect to get back a superstar?

It would take Sergei to get their interests, and might as well throw in Andrei too. A deal should be centered around them.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:38 AM
  #40
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Gaborik is more likely to be traded this year, than Kovalchuk...
bingo.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
  #41
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Gaborik is more likely to be traded this year, than Kovalchuk...
Ur right... I had forgotten, well this idea mostly came to me when I saw how bad Atlanta's center depth was...

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
  #42
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
To have a pure goal scorer added to the line up like that would be spectacular.
I am sure Atlanta will pay whatever he wants though he is their only attraction, but you are probably right he will want out.
Kovalchuk threatened to go to the RSL last time he was an RFA. I'd be scared of him doing that now; with the money Jagr is getting and all. Also Jagr's RSL contract and Kovalchuk's NHL contract expire at the same time. INTERESTING.


I think he will want out of Atlanta regardless though. I think Kovalchuk will want to play for a winner.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
  #43
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Kovalchuk threatened to go to the RSL last time he was an RFA. I'd be scared of him doing that now; with the money Jagr is getting and all. Also Jagr's RSL contract and Kovalchuk's NHL contract expire at the same time. INTERESTING.


I think he will want out of Atlanta regardless though. I think Kovalchuk will want to play for a winner.
enter Gainey...

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:03 PM
  #44
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
? You want to send 2 3rd line wingers, a 4th line center and O'Byrne and expect to get back a superstar?

It would take Sergei to get their interests, and might as well throw in Andrei too. A deal should be centered around them.

Well, according to some people, I'm sending:

1) A future 35-35=70 pointer (Christopher Higgins)

2) A future captain and future J Selke winner elite 3rd line centerman (Kyle Chipchura)

3) A future power forward with good hands and offensive skills (Guillaume Latendresse)

4) A future 6'5 top 4 defencemen that can hit and skate... (Ryan O'Byrne)

It's not bad at all when you think of it ?!


Last edited by Erika: 09-17-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:26 AM
  #45
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,500
vCash: 500
At least now we have the ammunitions to consider trading some key guys to perhaps contemplate getting somebody of the level a top star. Maybe not Kovalchuk but we have several quality "bodies".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 05:05 AM
  #46
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Can Higgins play centre? What about Sergei Kostitsyn?
As far as Kovalchuk is concerned, we wouldn't 'need' a centre to play him with for him to put up points, as witnessed by his time in Atlanta

I'd love it if we could acquire him, I'm just not sure what it would take to get him, other than quite a lot of assets. For now, I'll just sit here in my Kovalchuk Army shirt and dream that one day we sign him as a UFA. Just think of a Kovalchuk - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn line on the Habs for years to come

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
  #47
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
I'll donate a kidney for him!

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:57 AM
  #48
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,510
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Not worth the probable price. I still rather have a balance attack that has the potential to have 7-8 players 50pts++ then losing a few of those in a trade for a 50g/90pt player.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:36 PM
  #49
Berkut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Berkut
Just wait a year and sign him as a UFA. We've waited 7 years now, one more is no big deal.

Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.