HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs Yotes 9/16 Rookie Game #2

Old
09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Who is in net? All these rebounds don't sound like Bernier.
Zatkoff started, Rowat took over at the halfway point

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:20 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

vCash: 500
I like the edge our young up and comers apparently have, but they need to settle down and play some hockey. Agitation is one thing. One stupid penalty after the next is another.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I think the 7 you were reading were the first period shots.
It might have taken them a while to update the box score....because I started looking at it about 5 minutes into the second.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Gistedt is playing strong for the Coyotes turning away all Kings shots so far. Los Angeles started the period firing everything at the net, but nothing has made it past the Swedish goaltender.

Kings defenseman Thomas Hickey received a penalty for hooking. The Coyotes went with five forwards in the first part of the power play before it was negated by a Michael Stone high sticking penalty.Los Angeles had a few opportunities, but Gistedt turned away all shots including a goal-mouth scramble.

Old
09-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Way too many penalties. Hextall needs to introduce Morris to his pimp hand for this.

Old
09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
grncobra76

Man I wish this was being streamed.
Anybody have any updates on Hickey?

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:51 PM
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grncobra76 View Post
Man I wish this was being streamed.
Anybody have any updates on Hickey?
Took a penalty and blocked a shot. Judging by the score safe to say he has no goals or assists.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
Took a penalty and blocked a shot. Judging by the score safe to say he has no goals or assists.

Old
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Way too many penalties. Hextall needs to introduce Morris to his pimp hand for this.

How many of these guys played in Manchester last year??

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Game is over

3-0

Goals:
PHX - Kolarik 2 (Tikhonov) (EN) 19:29

Old
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
MxK1NGS

3-0 coyotes?
what happened?
kings did so well yesterday
anyone know who was starting?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Here is the box score for all of yuor who played/who didn't play questions

http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=382160

Old
09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Didn't sound like Zatkoff played too well. Got us in a hole early on. That, coupled with our parade to the penalty box, did us in. But we rang quite a few shots off the iron, so we were right there.

I feel like I'm going to be posting this general paragraph many times over the course of the season.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:24 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Hockey View Post
3-0 coyotes?
what happened?
kings did so well yesterday
Slightly different roster from yesterday.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Who didn't play today that played yesterday?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Who played today that didn't play yesterday?
Reversed your question

It's a bit tougher for me, since I'm going off of only the GDT's, but Hickey and Lewis I think didn't play yesterday, in addition to the goalie change. I'm assuming they'd take roster spots from other players.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:36 PM

I was at the game, just got home.

The first period was a hard and even fought contest, but when the Coyotes got the go ahead goal the Kings were obviously playing from behind. The Kings really couldn't get it together in any sustained pressure while Porter & Kolarik as well as Boedker & Turris had a game that was expected from them for the Coyotes. Gistedt did make several key saves, and his only major gaff we a glove save the leaked into a juicy rebound.

Sorry, I was watching the Coyotes prospects more than the Kings, so I don't have much to say on the Kings. Doughty looks to be an incredible prospect though, I am envious that the Kings have him. Simmonds seemed a bit of an agitator, playing really physical and bullying people around. Clune was playing a similar role as Simmonds, and both were drawing the ire of the Phoenix fans.

You guys saw the game online yesterday, but that game the Kings really had Phoenix's number. Today, the Coyotes team seemed like an entirely different group and I think yesterday was a bit of a wakeup call.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
I was at the game, just got home.

The first period was a hard and even fought contest, but when the Coyotes got the go ahead goal the Kings were obviously playing from behind. The Kings really couldn't get it together in any sustained pressure while Porter & Kolarik as well as Boedker & Turris had a game that was expected from them for the Coyotes. Gistedt did make several key saves, and his only major gaff we a glove save the leaked into a juicy rebound.

Sorry, I was watching the Coyotes prospects more than the Kings, so I don't have much to say on the Kings. Doughty looks to be an incredible prospect though, I am envious that the Kings have him. Simmonds seemed a bit of an agitator, playing really physical and bullying people around. Clune was playing a similar role as Simmonds, and both were drawing the ire of the Phoenix fans.

You guys saw the game online yesterday, but that game the Kings really had Phoenix's number. Today, the Coyotes team seemed like an entirely different group and I think yesterday was a bit of a wakeup call.
Thank you! The recap was very much appreciated

Old
09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
RedBeard

Game #2

I was at the game today as well and thought i would provide another coyotes' fan perspective on the young kings play. Trevor Lewis looked like a good prospect, fast and solid offensively but took a couple dumb penalties. Hickey was a bit of a disappointment as i expected him to be a gamer after being scratched for game one. Your best player was probably Simmonds as he provided good all-around play with a few shots and plenty of hits. Moller shot almost every time he had the puck which was not that often after the first period. Clune was def a pest but crashed the net well and will find his way on a roster somewhere. The defense is promising but will need some time to develop. The coyotes played more like a team tonight and it showed in the score sheet but a big part of that was the many penalties taken by the kings. Overall the kings took the penalties because they played a dirtier game and had many punches and scrums after the whistle. I wish the coyotes players had more of an edge but the young coyotes were more finesse and the kings were more scrappers which inevitably showed up in the final score. All of this being said, it was cool to see two teams with a solid pool of prospects and as Hextall said yesterday maybe even the top two.

RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
I feel like I'm going to be posting this general paragraph many times over the course of the season.
Hey, if the amount of times you end up posting this is enough to land us Hedman and/or Tavares, so be it!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Another Coyote fan here. My brother is a huge Kings fan so I scouted a little for him for his fantasy team...

The guy that has been the most consistent over the past two days was Oscar Moller. He was even better today than he was yesterday IMO and I spent quite a while admiring his skating and stickwork. Really got a couple of good opportunities with some nifty deking and if it hadn't been for Gistedt playing the way he did he'd have gotten on the board for you guys. Was also impressed by Doughty, not so much by Hickey. I think it goes without saying that Clune is your version of Dan Carcillo. Wayne Simmonds impressed me too for being a tough guy who has some fire and ability to actually be an offensive force - if he can get some smarts about when he goes around agitating and stops taking dumb penalties he could be a real asset for you guys.

Guys I was expecting more out of: Teubert (who had some good hits but was otherwise invisible), Voynov, Wudrick and Loktionov. Seemed like they had a hard time establishing themselves today.

Rowat seemed to do pretty well in relief of Zatkoff but Bernier is the clear favorite in terms of your goalie prospects in my mind.

Hope that helps. Today's game had a lot of piss and vinegar and was very entertaining.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:29 PM
triplcrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
...Today's game had a lot of piss and vinegar and was very entertaining.

"Ah, these young players are all full of piss and vinegar..."

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
brownsully2312

I was at the game today. Life long King fan living in Phoenix now.

Hickey was solid. You can tell he will be a great leader one day. I can hear him yelling and communicating well with the others while on the ice. Looked to me like an upgraded Keith Ballard.

Doughty was amazing at times, but also made some mistakes. Definitely looked like he was trying to do too much at times. He will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

Voynov was my favorite Defenseman out there. Had some nice rushes again and seemed to look bored at times. Just needs to be careful with those rushes when he plays with the big boys.

Teubert and Campbell were both very solid. Both should be solid stay at home defenseman at the NHL level. Teubert could be a top pairing stay at home (ex Norstrom or Foote) Campbell could be a potential number 4 guy. I was very impressed and surprised by his play.

On forward Simmonds and Moller led the way again. As a previous poster mentioned, many Phoenix fans were very vocal towards Simmonds. He was physical and in there face. Yes he took a few dumb penalties, but I believe he'll be fine. Potential 2nd line power forward and I do believe he'll make the club this year.

Moller is so slick with the puck. Stickhandles like our good friend Ziggy. Wicket shot as well. Rang the crossbar in the 2nd period.

Lewis looked good. I can see why they drafted him in the 1st round. The speed and skill are there. The grittiness is there as well. He just needs to make better decisions with the puck. I believe he still has it in him to become a solid 2nd line/great 3rd line center in the NHL.

Loktionov has absolutely amazing skills, but he needs to drive to the net. He looked afraid to get hit at times.

Clune will our new Avery/Lappy. I really like the guy. Solid wheels too!

Zatkoff played well. Neither goal he allowed was his fault. Rowat was solid but looked uncomfortable at times.

All in all a great game! It was close. Pretty even back and fourth action. There will be an intense rivalry between the Kings and Coyotes for years to come.

brownsully2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:15 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
Thank you to all of those that gave player reports. They're much appreciated!

GRuiz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:00 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsully2312 View Post
I was at the game today. Life long King fan living in Phoenix now.

Hickey was solid. You can tell he will be a great leader one day. I can hear him yelling and communicating well with the others while on the ice. Looked to me like an upgraded Keith Ballard.
While Hickey did play a good game and was one of their better players it's a bit premature to call him a upgraded Ballard don't you think.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote