HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Does anyone think that Kristo will bbe a good player?

Old
09-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I say he'll be at best a third liner...perhaps an Aaron Asham type player

I hope you're being sarcastic, Chezz. There were some good energy/2-way forwards available like Wudrick and McMillan if that was the upside the Habs were looking at.

2nd line potential, based on his ranking alone, but you can't ever pigeon-hole a prospect that has another year of high school hockey to develop in. Add the fact that he was standing out amongst older, higher touted prospects like Pacioretty & Maxwell, it's far too early to tell with Kristo.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:48 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic, Chezz. There were some good energy/2-way forwards available like Wudrick and McMillan if that was the upside the Habs were looking at.

2nd line potential, based on his ranking alone, but you can't ever pigeon-hole a prospect that has another year of high school hockey to develop in. Add the fact that he was standing out amongst older, higher touted prospects like Pacioretty & Maxwell, it's far too early to tell with Kristo.
No I wasnt.

Speed can only get you so far.

I was talking in terms of what I think he'll turn out to be...his max upside may be a 2nd liner, but just like Fischer, I dont have high hopes for him.

Old
09-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
No I wasnt.

I was talking in terms of what I think he'll turn out to be...his max upside may be a 2nd liner, but just like Fischer, I dont have high hopes for him.
I have a feeling he could turn into a Higgins type of player in a few years...but with more finesse and less power...

He'll have time to work on everything and he do have the skills and the hands to match his speed...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
No I wasnt.

Fair enough. But it's too soon to tell.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I say he'll be at best a third liner...perhaps an Aaron Asham type player
Chuck Kobasew was a name that popped in my head after reading the reports on Kristo.

Like others have said in this thread, Timmins at this point always deserves the benefit of the doubt. So im optimistic with this selection.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I think that sometimes he's showing as much as far as vision and passing skills are concerned than a guy like Giroux. What will be the question mark for him, besides getting bigger and stronger, is his scoring abilities. Does have good hands but needs to finish. While he's feisty and doesn't hesitate to drive the net, he's not a third liner protype by any means. He's purely and mostly an offensive player though he does have already the awareness to play defensively. 1st liner? Maybe not. 2nd liner. Definately his upside for me with a potential first liner with tons of If's*.

Would love to see him dominating the USHL this year.

I'm very high on this kid even though he's definately not a player I saw a lot prior to the draft compared to the kid (but I have to be high on him....He was amongst my predictions for even the 1st round.....)

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Lone Rogue

If Kristo doesn't make it, Trunev will. Timmins always knows how to pick at least one solid player in a draft. Just look at how many Sens he picked in the higher rounds in his last draft year with them. The guy has an eye for talent.

It's also good to remember that our current depth chart, our two best Right Wingers (according to Hockey's Future) in our depth chart is D'Agostini and Kristo. If we don't replace Kovalev with another superstar right winger, thats an opening in the future for a guy like Kristo.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
otto bond

I don't mind picks like this one. you have to spread out your talent. For him, it's obvious that he will get tools to mold his play around his speed and hands.
From that clip on you tube, it a tease cause you don't get a chance to see his shot.
I love our recruitment team and philosophy. They will guide him to be a great person and give him teaching from the hockey side of thing. Win win situation.
Any clip from the rookie camp?

A few question if you have the answer.
What kind of shot does this kid have? A hard accurate one? Weak but accurate?
Hard and not accurate? Is it awful?

Why I ask is simply so I can make my own evaluation.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I don't mind picks like this one. you have to spread out your talent. For him, it's obvious that he will get tools to mold his play around his speed and hands.
From that clip on you tube, it a tease cause you don't get a chance to see his shot.
I love our recruitment team and philosophy. They will guide him to be a great person and give him teaching from the hockey side of thing. Win win situation.
Any clip from the rookie camp?

A few question if you have the answer.
What kind of shot does this kid have? A hard accurate one? Weak but accurate?
Hard and not accurate? Is it awful?

Why I ask is simply so I can make my own evaluation.
His wrister is pretty hard and accurate. At the dev. camp, I didn't see too much of a slapper 'cause he didn't use it so much. But I really really liked his fast release. He wasn't as accurate as a guy like Carle for example who was off the chart and seemed to be aiming at will, but he wasn't amongst the worst by any means. Had a pretty accurate and hard wrister.

Quote:
No I wasnt.

But he's not only about speed. Shot is pretty good. Awareness both offensively and defensively is pretty good as well with work to do on his defensive zone like every offensive player has to do. If you really want to compare somebody to Aaron Asham, I would go more with Ryan White. Kristo doesn't fear the physical play, but while we saw a great bodycheck in his video, doesn't normally initiate contacts and shouldn't do so in higher levels. I understand Asham had some pretty good number in Juniors so again, it's all about how it will develop and translate later on. Still White had pretty good numbers as well and I see more similarities with him than with Kristo.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-18-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Pascal

his speed really stood out in that video, he was faster than anyone else on the ice by a mile.

those types of players (agile, speedy, etc) usually are bust or boom types.. first/2nd line or nothing imo.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
deandebean

Who were they playing against in that video? I thought they were playing shinny instead of hockey out there; man, the bodychecks were nowhere to be seen, and the defensive coverage was very, very, very, very poor. It looked like a team scrimmage, nothing else. Was that it? Because the intensity level was pretty off there.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Who were they playing against in that video? I thought they were playing shinny instead of hockey out there; man, the bodychecks were nowhere to be seen, and the defensive coverage was very, very, very, very poor. It looked like a team scrimmage, nothing else. Was that it? Because the intensity level was pretty off there.
I might be totally off.....but that doesn't seem to be like a jersey (the dark one) they would use in a team scrimmage. If the Whites are wearing their official jersey, the other team should use the blue no?

Looks to me like it says TEXAS on the other team jersey. After some extensive research....seems it was against the Texas Tornado in the NAHL.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that sometimes he's showing as much as far as vision and passing skills are concerned than a guy like Giroux. What will be the question mark for him, besides getting bigger and stronger, is his scoring abilities. Does have good hands but needs to finish. While he's feisty and doesn't hesitate to drive the net, he's not a third liner protype by any means. He's purely and mostly an offensive player though he does have already the awareness to play defensively. 1st liner? Maybe not. 2nd liner. Definately his upside for me with a potential first liner with tons of If's*.

Would love to see him dominating the USHL this year.

I'm very high on this kid even though he's definately not a player I saw a lot prior to the draft compared to the kid (but I have to be high on him....He was amongst my predictions for even the 1st round.....)

I don't agree with you !!

Claude Giroux potential = 1st line, potential star
Danny Kristo = 2nd line/3rd line potential

Not even close at this point...

Chuck Kobasew is a very good comparison like Patty Roy have said.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
shortcat1

As weak as this may sound but the French-Canadian TV media (110% & La Zone) have made really exciting comments about him. Keep in mind that they're very Québécois in their orientation - for example, they keep getting frustrated by Trevor Timmins (with Gainey's support) not picking many (and in some draft years none) kids from 'chez-nous' - Québéc that is.

So, with their comments in mind, I'll say that Danny Kristo will be a very good player.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
I don't agree with you !!

Claude Giroux potential = 1st line, potential star
Danny Kristo = 2nd line/3rd line potential

Not even close at this point...

Chuck Kobasew is a very good comparison like Patty Roy have said.
As far as VISION and PASSING SKILLS are concerned that SOMETIMES he shows. While there's more to it than those features to become a hockey player and while you have to be bo consistent in doing it, I'm obviously not suggesting that as we speak, they're equivalent in all facets of the game. Thought it was clear.

Giroux still needs to prove that he handle the physical part of the game. Giroux does have the 2nd line potential upside in him as well as he can be a 1st liner like I think he'll be. Giroux was my 2nd choice for our pick so don't worry, I've seen him play and think the world out of him. But I do think that there's some aspects of Kristo's game that makes me think of Giroux at the same age.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As far as VISION and PASSING SKILLS are concerned that SOMETIMES he shows. While there's more to it than those features to become a hockey player and while you have to be bo consistent in doing it, I'm obviously not suggesting that as we speak, they're equivalent in all facets of the game. Thought it was clear.

Giroux still needs to prove that he handle the physical part of the game. Giroux does have the 2nd line potential upside in him as well as he can be a 1st liner like I think he'll be. Giroux was my 2nd choice for our pick so don't worry, I've seen him play and think the world out of him. But I do think that there's some aspects of Kristo's game that makes me think of Giroux at the same age.

Fair enough, but I just don't think that Kristo has the vision and passing skills of Giroux which are his bread and butter and what makes him so special.

Kristo seems to base his game more on Speed which is alright... Giroux is fast, but his game is base on his amazing hockey sense and passing skills.

I don't see any similarity IMO. except that both are 5'11 Right Winger and are right handed shooter.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Fair enough, but I just don't think that Kristo has the vision and passing skills of Giroux which are his bread and butter and what makes him so special.

Kristo seems to base his game more on Speed which is alright... Giroux is fast, but his game is base on his amazing hockey sense and passing skills.

I don't see any similarity IMO. except that both are 5'11 Right Winger and are right handed shooter.

I might agree with you based on the fact that what differentiate both guys so far are their scoring ability and their offensive hockey sense and awareness. I do make the difference between vision and hockey sense and awareness. Kristo seems to be able to recognize who's open but it might not always be the best play for that given time.

Anyway, we'll see how it develops and in the end, I would not be surprised to see Giroux succeed more since I was and still is a big fan of his. But Kristo cannot be disregarded. He has some upside to his game and can only be better.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
The U-20 is a good benchmark, Higgins and Pacioretty were real solid. Kristo will have to make the team ( i know he went to the camp..) and we will be able to watch him play against top competition.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
The U-20 is a good benchmark, Higgins and Pacioretty were real solid. Kristo will have to make the team ( i know he went to the camp..) and we will be able to watch him play against top competition.
hes more likely to make the 2010 team than this year's team

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
hes more likely to make the 2010 team than this year's team
While I expect him to make next year's team, I think his chances are good at making this years team. At least he has some sort of inside track, as Team USA loves to pick their players from the USNDTP plus he was the C of the U-18 team last year so he has international experience. Of course a bad start to the year will hurt his chances, and I'm going more off how USA seems to pick their squads but I wouldn't be surprised if he made this years team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Yea I thought Higgins was great both years, Pac I didn't get to see if I recall. I know I listened to the opening game on the radio when he got injured.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
While I expect him to make next year's team, I think his chances are good at making this years team. At least he has some sort of inside track, as Team USA loves to pick their players from the USNDTP plus he was the C of the U-18 team last year so he has international experience. Of course a bad start to the year will hurt his chances, and I'm going more off how USA seems to pick their squads but I wouldn't be surprised if he made this years team.
He's not out of the running, but he's no sure bet. I'd love to see him make it.

2010 he definetely should be on the team.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote