HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik Rumor Thread Part I (Pednault and Eklund)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
What if Gainey really see's Chipchura in the line-up ?

What if he traded for Lang to replace Koivu ?

Has for Komisarek, he is a great leader and he's not afraid of anything, but is he THAT good ?

Whenever he was'nt playing with Markov last year he had a lot of difficulties. I'm just saying that he is a good fit for Markov but it is Markov that makes him the player that he is like. I think that it was Markov that putted Souray and Streit and the Habs power play over the top and he could have the same effect on Komisarek.

So if Komi has good trade value and you could land a Gaborik with him, I would trade him.
That's probably the dumbest thing one could think..
Let me get this straight, we're going into the centennial year and you actually think it's a possibility that Gainey would move our Current Captain in Koivu, AND what 99% of people think will be our Future Captain in Komi...
That makes a whoooole lot of sense.

Not only that, but Koivu would have to remove his NTC. After more than 10years with the Habs, for the first time, he's on a cup contender team, finished 1st last year, and he would agree to lift his clause to go where?..in Minny????..loll..
Carbo came out to say we finally solved our problem at center, adding a good capable veteran in Lang, it gives us the depth at center we didn't have. And now you'd trade Koivu to get back into a weak center position??..

Not to mention Komi would leave a big hole behind him.

If Chipper is ready, its to compete vs Lapierre for 4th line duties. Neither are 3rd line material yet.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Who am I blaming? What can I not see? You aren't even able to make the difference between what you just said and what I actually said. No duh, Komi gives him more space, like always you're the big genius around here. Wow, I never even once realized that!!! Now get your head out of the lowest sphinxter of your body and realize that I was talking about the people who say that Komi is better defensively than Markov, which is far from the truth.
Quote:
Funny, according to some misguided souls around here, Komi is the one that makes Markov better. Yet the Habs were 7-1 without Komi... and are awful without Markov.
then tell me what the hell this is? Komi DOES make Markov better, it doesn't matter that markov is the better defensmen beetween the 2 cause that was never the question.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
btw it's funny how a new week always brings a new bogus rumor. First it was Shanahan, then Schneider, and now Gaborik..

our cap is maxed, forget new players.
yet the Lang rumor wasn't bogus. Maybe you should rethink your preconceptions.

Not saying Gaborik will be here, just saying that not every rumor is bogus.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Did anyone else hear McGuire say this?
During the Trade Deadline week, and the draft week I heard McGuire say several times that the Habs were aggressively pursuing Gaborik. He is on our radar and McGuire strongly felt (on both those occasions) that the Habs would land Gaborik in the future. So to back up this post, yes I've heard Pierre say this.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
then tell me what the hell this is? Komi DOES make Markov better, it doesn't matter that markov is the better defensmen beetween the 2 cause that was never the question.
Well maybe you should go back to language class because you suck donkey att analyzing text.

""according to some misguided souls around here, Komi is the one that makes Markov better""

Seems KrissE didn't miss the logical deduction that it was meant to show that it's the other way around. Markov is the one that makes Komi better.

The key part of the phrase is "THE ONE", meaning that I think it is the opposite, because we are comparing two people. I didn't just say "Komi makes Markov better" I said "Komi is THE ONE that makes Markov better". Do you see the difference? Do you see that it infers that there are two logical paths of argument? That Markov is the one who makes Komi better, or Komi is the one who makes Markov better. Those are the two opposing idea in that statement.

That doesn't mean Komi doesn't help Markov. Yes they both make the other better, but Markov is the one who makes Komi better, more than Komi could ever make Markov better. Put O'Byrne with Markov and I garantee you'll start drooling over OB in 3-4 seasons from now.

Logic seems foreign to you.

Oh and BTW, this all stems from the numbnuts who said Komi saved Markov's ass more often than Markov did to show that Komi was better defensively and that Komi is the one making the other better. Which is ludicrous as Markov spent the last few years helping out Komi all the time to become better so he wouldn't have to save Komi's ass anymore, so he could concentrate on what the Habs want him to do, be more open on attacks. For sure this will make Komi the hero, and only people with tunnel vision will assume Komi is better defensively.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 09-18-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
durojean

Yes Komisarek is from our organisation.
Yes, he is a good defensemen.

But. I'm not sure I'm ready to pay 5 million per year for him when we have a Valentenko, a Mcdonagh, a O'byrne and a Emelin that are all the same kind of defencemen that Komisarek is.

If I look within the organisation, the player that will become free agent this summer and that we can replace more easily is Komisarek.

For the proposal that I made earlier, it's true that a winger should go if Gaborik comes in.

But...

Kostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev
Tanguay Lang Gaborik
Higgins Chipchura S. Kostitsyn
Laraque Lapierre Begin/Kostopoulos

Markov Valentenko
Hamrlik O'byrne
Bouillon Gorges

Price / Halak

I could do with a line-up like that.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

But. I'm not sure I'm ready to pay 5 million per year for him when we have a Valentenko, a Mcdonagh, a O'byrne and a Emelin that are all the same kind of defencemen that Komisarek is.

If I look within the organisation, the player that will become free agent this summer and that we can replace more easily is Komisarek.

For the proposal that I made earlier, it's true that a winger should go if Gaborik comes in.

But...

Tanguay Lang Gaborik

Markov Valentenko
Hamrlik O'byrne
Bouillon Gorges

Price / Halak

Of course YOU could ''Do'' with a line-up like that. But who the hell are YOU?
It's not about ''Doing'' with this line up, it's about WINNING THE CUP, which would NEVER happen with this group.

Valentenko?..You think he's ready to be a regular top 2 defender??
It took Komisarek about 3-4seasons to get to where he is today. It seems like it's gonna take about the same time for O'Byrne.
But Valentenko is ready??..lolll
Chipchura too??..Chipper got sent down last season, how do you go from that to centering 3rd line?

For your Info, Valentenko has not played 1 NHL Game, McDonagh/Emelin has not played 1 PRO Game, O'Byrne has played 33 NHL Games and is a lot behind Komi.

Komi is one of the most important UFA for us to sign next season, he's far from being the ''easiest'' to replace. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
He's playing where we have the most depth, sure, but that doesn't make him easily replaceable, far from it.
Not only that, but you don't let what seems to be such a strong leader go.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
noobman

Wow... they really want to win the cup this year!

It would be amazing if they could get him... but if they did it via trade they'd have to give up quite a bit in return.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:51 PM
durojean

Chipchura is expected to become one of the best third liners in the league and guess where he is on my line-up.

When drafted, Higgins was supposed to become a really good third liner and I put him there too. I think it's a duo that could be really good because they complete each other but are the same kind of player. Chipchura is ready for the NHL as we saw last year and he would have stayed if Smolinsky had had a two-way contract.

We are trying to win a cup this year, you're right. I know Valentenko on the first pair is a bit harsh... But I would be comfortable with a guy like Gorges on the first pair. When he played with Markov last year our transition game was really good and when they were together we were winning a lot.

Maybe Markov looked bad in the playoff because Gorges was so much better than him(Komisarek) that he had difficulties to readjust to Komisarek. I don't really think it's the truth but that could really well be an explanation.

if you prefer our d pairings could be.

Markov Gorges
Hamrlik O'byrne/Brisebois
Bouillon Valentenko

Old
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Well he is LW which we have lots of.................I just hope Bob doesnt do a Paccioretty for Gabby deal like he did Iginla for Neiuwandyke.
if it wins us the stanley cup and gabby is the conn smythe winner ala nieuwendyk its a good move.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Now go ahead, make up a pityful excuse to try and save face for that quote.
Um...am I missing something here? Saying that the trade will HAVE to include AKost is not the same as saying that he is Minny's first choice, so I'm not sure how you think I'm contradicting myself.

What I have been trying to say is that AKost has to be included in the deal to satisfy BOTH of the following requirements:

1) Free up enough cap space on the Canadiens for Gaborik.
2) Give Minnesota a quality player who is not UFA at the end of the year.

Rgardless of this -- I give up. If you haven't understood my point by now you're probably not going to.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Chipchura is expected to become one of the best third liners in the league and guess where he is on my line-up.

When drafted, Higgins was supposed to become a really good third liner and I put him there too. I think it's a duo that could be really good because they complete each other but are the same kind of player. Chipchura is ready for the NHL as we saw last year and he would have stayed if Smolinsky had had a two-way contract.

We are trying to win a cup this year, you're right. I know Valentenko on the first pair is a bit harsh... But I would be comfortable with a guy like Gorges on the first pair. When he played with Markov last year our transition game was really good and when they were together we were winning a lot.

Maybe Markov looked bad in the playoff because Gorges was so much better than him(Komisarek) that he had difficulties to readjust to Komisarek. I don't really think it's the truth but that could really well be an explanation.

if you prefer our d pairings could be.

Markov Gorges
Hamrlik O'byrne/Brisebois
Bouillon Valentenko
Too many lefties on the right side, too many chances for mistakes.

I'd stand pat with Komi for at least 4 seasons, the time given for OB to take his place (if so needed, or keep Komi then), and time enough to develop Gorges (in first) and Valentenko as defensive Dmen on the left, to replace Hammer and to accomodate our offensive Dmen that will be coming on the right side (Subban, Webber, Carle... not all of them, but 1 to 2 of them). And at the same time we'll have McDonaugh on the left and Fischer on the right, who both seem to be more all-around Dmen than the other prospects, a bit like Hammer is. If McD and Fischer truly end-up all around, they will act as tools to balance the D between our lefty defensive Dmen and righty offensive Dmen.

And we haven't considered Emelin too. Another left-handed defensive minded Dman.

You see the problem? Presently, our offensive Dmen are lefties (Markov, Hammer), and 2 out of 3 of our defensive Dmen are right-handed (OB and Komi) and the other one worthy of the top 4 is left handed (Gorges).

Whereas in our prospects, the defensive ones are all lefties and the offensive ones are all righties.

That's a transition the Habs will be careful to make.

That's why I think odds are OB will keep playing with Hammer and next season Valentenko will play left side where Bouillon is, and have Gorges play on the right side (or switch with OB on the 2nd pairing) as he is the only lefty on the team who is used to play in the NHL on the otherside (besides Bouillon who is not top 4 material and who will probably leave before next season anyway).

Last edited by Ozymandias: 09-18-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
Um...am I missing something here? Saying that the trade will HAVE to include AKost is not the same as saying that he is Minny's first choice, so I'm not sure how you think I'm contradicting myself.

What I have been trying to say is that AKost has to be included in the deal to satisfy BOTH of the following requirements:

1) Free up enough cap space on the Canadiens for Gaborik.
2) Give Minnesota a quality player who is not UFA at the end of the year.

Rgardless of this -- I give up. If you haven't understood my point by now you're probably not going to.
Oh, dont worry, NOW I do understand. The point is, what you said made it sound as though the Minny would not let go of Gaborik short of giving AKost.

Still, there would be many ways to go around this, without having to include AKost.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

Our team is pretty quick as it is . Imagine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSr1JzP99A

Is it me or is Jose Theodore featured prominently in that video?

Old
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Well that would be exactly the point of having him with Hammer for the entire season. So he can develop. He was +7 in his first 33 NHL games last season.

Yes, he needs work, still, an entire season would do exactly that, fix his positioning, fix his first pass, make him accostumed to longer shifts and more icetime. And Hammer is perfect for that.

I was one of the guys advocating getting a top 4 Dman in the offseason, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like OB should get his shot at a full season on the second pairing, especially if we have Gorges and Bouillon on the 3rd pairing.

And the most urgent reason to do so, is that next year, we might have Valentenko, Carle and Emelin battling for 2 D-spots. You can't have OB not ready to go full steam by then. He has to develop this year, so next year we can concentrate on the two others that will be coming over.
I agree completely.... we need a top 4 D but not tomorrow.... We should let O'B play most of the year beside Hammer and then if necessary grab a D at the trade Deadline.

Quote:
If you're Minnesota.

Would you do :

Gaborik for Koivu and Komisarek ?

Komisarek is also a unrestricted free agent and we have a lot of depth on D. I would'nt be surprise if he is the one that Gainey let go this summer.
If I'm gainey I don't do this. We just fixed the centre problem, why create it again... and Komi is going nowhere if we have real cup aspirations this year.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
durojean

You have a good point about the lefties. I didn't notice that when I made my line-up earlier.

And for the trade I was just asking who would do it and who aren't. I like Komisarek but I really don't think he's worth 5 million. I just think that if we are to pay him that price we should at least try and see what we could have if we trade him.

For the Emelin case, I think if he comes to north america, it is to play in the nhl, not the ahl and maybe he is going to ask to play with the Canadiens. He is the same kind of player than Komisarek so maybe he's going to take his place. Again I don't know if Emelin plays right or left... I could check, but I'm lazy...

Old
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I like Bouillon, Gorges and OByrne fine as a regular season 4,5,6, they did great in the second half of last season and should start this one on that note. BUT the habs still need another vet D man around incase someone goes down. We would be finished in the playoffs if Markov, Komisarik, or Hamrlik got injured (maybe even Gorges at this point) and Briesbois replaces them, he's too soft and error prone in the D zone, need a veteren guy who's stronger, more reliable and knows some tricks, preferrably a canadian who will play his heart out for the cup too.
Yup it was really sad watching Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Flippula, and the rest of the red wings who didn't play their hearts out for the cup last year. If only they were good Canadian boys, maybe the Wings would've won.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Is it me or is Jose Theodore featured prominently in that video?
this guy reminds me of Gaborik alot .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJRUKSfrZY

Old
09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
DieHardHabs

there is no way we get gaborik, as much as I would love to see him come to montreal, I just dont see it... it's too bad my two non fav habs are hossa and gaborik Gainey went out and got tanguay.. I don't think he would have done that if the possibility was out there to get Marian... and if we were to get him.. be sure higgins or s kost .. .even komi would be involved in the deal.. threee roster players for hossa, you know minny would be asking for the same! Max Pac.. isnt going to cut it .. Lats won't either.. he is worth a few pucks

Old
09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
mcphee

My own opinion is that it would involve Higgins and McDonagh and then whatever salary equilization needs to be done. Assume Dandy is gone, then you'd have to say good bye to some forward depth to inch closer. So, the 2 guys I mention, plus whatever evens out the value, then probaly Dandenault and one of Begin/TK have to leave though not necessarily as part of this deal.

Minny could also want Chipchura so, ....... I don't think Koivu is involved unless there's something going on that we know nothing about. Re-uniting brothers is hf fodder but I don't see what it does in terms of nudging this deal along.

My guess is that Gainey, having a relationship of sorts with Minny's mangement said to give him a call if they decded that Gaborik had to go. Mtl wants an impact player, they've been clear about that. Whether actual negotiations have taken place, not sure that I believe it.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Yup it was really sad watching Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Flippula, and the rest of the red wings who didn't play their hearts out for the cup last year. If only they were good Canadian boys, maybe the Wings would've won.

Didn't you know???

Yzerman was still secretly captain of that team!

That explains the cup win

Quote:
You have a good point about the lefties. I didn't notice that when I made my line-up earlier.

And for the trade I was just asking who would do it and who aren't. I like Komisarek but I really don't think he's worth 5 million. I just think that if we are to pay him that price we should at least try and see what we could have if we trade him.

For the Emelin case, I think if he comes to north america, it is to play in the nhl, not the ahl and maybe he is going to ask to play with the Canadiens. He is the same kind of player than Komisarek so maybe he's going to take his place. Again I don't know if Emelin plays right or left... I could check, but I'm lazy...
Yeah, Komi at 5 mil is the max I'd give him.

But think about it. Some say he'll get 6 mil... which I think is way off the mark.

The Habs might offer him an escalated contract. Something like 3,50/4,00/4,50/5,00/6,00, which would give us a cap hit of around 4,60 mil per year.

Anything with a cap hit of under 4,5 mil would be a steal in his case.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old
09-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

But...

Tanguay Lang Gaborik

Markov Valentenko
Hamrlik O'byrne
Bouillon Gorges

Price / Halak

I'd much rather have our current lineup than that one....

Old
09-18-2008, 02:32 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:

But...

Tanguay Lang Gaborik

Markov Valentenko
Hamrlik O'byrne
Bouillon Gorges

Price / Halak

That line-up proves that it's a very bad trade for Montreal. Our wing got slightly better while our center dropped significantly...so did our defense. The only way bob Gainey trades Komisarek is if he can somehow get Schneider. But with the cap there is no way. Also there is no way Valentenko would be on the first pairing. This line-up brings us back 2-3 years...yuck.

Old
09-18-2008, 02:36 PM
goalchenyuk

Gaborik + Benoit Poulliot to Habs
Koivu + Higgins + top prospect to the Wilds

Poulliot could turn very soon to a first or 2 nd line center .

Old
09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Well he is LW which we have lots of.................I just hope Bob doesnt do a Paccioretty for Gabby deal like he did Iginla for Neiuwandyke.
actually it was

iginla vs nieuwandyke + a stanley cup.

Closed Thread