HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Maine Moose IJHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2008, 08:23 AM
  #1
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Maine Moose IJHL

Tier 3? junior?
Anyways they've been recruiting here the last couple of years.
I see on their web site that it's a pay to play team/league.
$5,600 plus travel costs to games (to be billed later) and billet costs of $350/month.
Is this common practice in lower tier Jr in the States?
Seems high when compared to local Jr B/C teams that want a few hundred for registration.
WTF is the IJHL anyways?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
  #2
In the crease
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Ijhl

Alpine,
The team is "supposed" to provide travel and lodging to games farther than 200 miles round trip. That is if they are USA Hockey sanctioned.
Yep, thats they way it is; a business.

In the crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:57 AM
  #3
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the crease View Post
Alpine,
The team is "supposed" to provide travel and lodging to games farther than 200 miles round trip. That is if they are USA Hockey sanctioned.
Yep, thats they way it is; a business.
Wow.
I'm surprised so for my local players besides having rich mommies and daddies I wonder what advantage the league would have.
Not to judge but $6,000 is a lot.
We have Major Jr, Jr A and Jr B/C. Major Jr and Jr A aren't pay to play and New Brunswick Jr B/C league is in the hundreds not thousands of $.
They must be recruiting "keep the dream alive" players?
Would it be safe to say IJHL level would be below Q and Maritime Jr A League but maybe(?) above New Brunswick Jr (B/C) League?


Last edited by Alpine: 09-19-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
  #4
In the crease
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Ijhl

Alpine,
Couldn't answer that one for you, don't know the level of play in the Great White North.
However with US colleges able to recruit world wide they do seem to have an awful lots of American players on scholarship. So something must be working. Whether its fair or ethical, thats another question.

In the crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
  #5
NCAA Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Wow.
I'm surprised so for my local players besides having rich mommies and daddies I wonder what advantage the league would have.
Not to judge but $6,000 is a lot.
We have Major Jr, Jr A and Jr B/C. Major Jr and Jr A aren't pay to play and New Brunswick Jr B/C league is in the hundreds not thousands of $.
They must be recruiting "keep the dream alive" players?
Would it be safe to say IJHL level would be below Q and Maritime Jr A League but maybe(?) above New Brunswick Jr (B/C) League?
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with "keep the dream alive". The IJHL isn't much more than a glorified mens league as a matter of fact there is a 20 year old on my mens league team that plays in that league and he's not even one of the top players in the beer league if that tells you anything and it costs a lot less to play in the beer league. Seriously though I can't think of one player that has gone on to play college hockey(D1) from that league and highly doubt that it gets scouted much if any at all.

NCAA Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
  #6
VINMONTY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
It is a league that sends kids to Div. III.

VINMONTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM
  #7
NCAA Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMONTY View Post
It is a league that sends kids to Div. III.
Doesn't look like it to me I see 2 kids that are going D3 this year from the IJHL one to Framingham and one to Westfield.
http://www.collegehockeyrecruits.com/?page=1

NCAA Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
  #8
ShowmeHawks
 
ShowmeHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
The Boston Junior Blackhawks do a good job of sending to kids to D1/3 and Junior A.

http://http://www.bostonjrblackhawks...?page_id=10112

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:06 PM
  #9
Falconone
Registered User
 
Falconone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suburb of Boston MA
Country: United States
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Junior Hockey

In the Northeast, particularly, the growth of junior hockey has been unbelievable. However, it isn't self-sustaining from a revenue standpoint. Compared to the Midwest with the USHL and the NAHL the northeast and midatlantic regions have the EJHL and the AJHL along with the Empire JHL and the Metropolitan Jr. Hockey league as well as the IJHL etc.

ALL of these franchises are businesses as are the CHL leagues (the "Q", "O" and the "DUB") and the Canadian Junior "A" leagues (BCHL, OPJHL etc). While I can't truly compare these for the sake of parity, the MJR Jr. leagues in the CHL compare favorably with the USHL and on occasion they have played a series between several teams in the CHL and the USHL. The results have been pretty even.

The NAHL is a notch below the USHL and the EJHL perhaps a notch below the NAHL. Though one could argue that point for some time too.

According to USA Hockey dictums leagues desiring Junior A Tier I status (read the USHL) are required to provide certain things for the players in terms of support and have budgets/expeditures for marketing, min. seating capacity of their home rink, provide no cost billeting etc. to recieve the Tier I status.

Leagues wanting Tier II status have less requirments. Smaller budgets, staff, rink seating size and can charge a nominal billeting fee to players.

Until just a few years ago (when Dan Esdale, then Commisioner of the EJHL, became head of Junior Hockey operations for USA Hockey) those were the only options for leagues who aspired to Junior A status. So the EJHL was classified by USA Hockey as a Junior "B" League. Perhaps competing with Junior "A" leagues and other Junior "B" leagues for players pushed the EJHL to desire Junior A status though I tend to think it was to justify charging the players to participate. So under Esdale's "leadership" USA Hockey created a Tier III Junior A classification. What a country eh? One of the major stumbling blocks for leagues wanting Junior A classification, prior to Esdale's "leadership", was the charging of "tuition" (gotta love the use of the term here) for participation on an EJHL team. By creating the Tier III classification all the EJHL teams overnight went from Junior B to Junior A. I love this country, only in America.

As for charging for "tuition" and travel costs, $ 6,000 seems on the short end of the total cost. I've heard much higher numbers thrown about. Of course, here in the East, us men love to "talk" about how much our divorces cost us so maybe they inflate the cost of juniors, Junior Hockey cost too. LOL

This explosion in junior hockey has led to a wholesale desertion (except in rare circumstances like Reading High School's '08 team) that have emaciated high school hockey here in MA.

And its not likely to stop either until someone, either the NCAA, or the like, or perhaps the college coaching fraternaty, goes on record or creates rules that prohibit the recruiting of college players who have left thier HS teams or played junior hockey before the age of 17. Take away the eligibility for college hockey and this will come to a screeching halt. I don't really expect it to happen but with a population already conditioned to "pay for play" that started in town youth hockey then to play select hockey (with over 3 "select" leagues and the independant teams out there almost anyone could find a select team) you have a group of parents primed to help 'Johnny" follow his dream.

Not much incentive for the college coaches to try and change things either. With the average age of a freshman college hockey player at 19.8 years, even the lowest of the colleges can get a more physically and emotionally mature player that has had 2 yrs of junior hockey experience. Only the top echelon of teams can pick the cream of the crop at 18 yrs old. They don't have to wait. In fact, they face some opposing pressure, for in going after the top 100 or so players from the US or Canada they are competing with both Mjr Jr. (who are going after 15 and 16 yr. old players) and the NHL.

Just my 2 cents.

F1


Last edited by Falconone: 10-22-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer errors
Falconone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 06:21 PM
  #10
Old Time Sauce
Registered User
 
Old Time Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
the IJ is a complete **** show, don't waste your money

Old Time Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 05:19 PM
  #11
StrBender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Part of the reason for charging $6k+ per season is all the Jr leagues here only draw family & friends for paying fans. So teams only average about 30 fans per game. As for the Jr Boston Blackhawks they are the biggest joke. Almost all of the players that they list NEVER played again once they got to college.

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
  #12
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
In the US
USHL is the top Jr. league, it's a US Hockey sanctioned Tier I league
slightly below the USHL level is the NAHL, the only Tier II league. And there's been a lot of growth in the talent of this league over the past few years.

In the Tier III leagues the level is generally below the U and NA, but a number of players go to the NCAA from the Tier IIIs or move up to the top Jr leagues then go to college.
I'd rate the tier IIIs in this order (although there's not too much of a difference btwn most of the leagues)
EJHL
MNJHL
NorPac
AJHL
CSHL
WSHL

Then there's the independent Jr. A leagues are not sanctioned by US Hockey, their levels of play can very dramatically and the teams and leagues tend not to be as stable as sanctioned leagues.
GMHL is an lndy league located in Ontario, idon't know much about it.
UJHL has a pretty good level of play on average a Jr B/low A level
NJHL is new for 09/10 but is made up of teams that left the UJHL plus a few others, I assume the level will be about the same.
The IJHL ranges from high school level, Jr. C, to B level, maybe a few teams that could compete in USA Hockey Santioned Jr A leagues.

there maybe some others I don't know since these leagues pop up and others fold every few seasons.

Our team played an ex game against an IJHL team a few seasons ago and they sucked!! Our team is an ACHA DII team, most guys played varsity HS, prep school, or Jr. B. We had a few guys that played AAA and Jr A. The IJHL team was no where close, they couldn't pass, hit, shoot, etc.. their coach yelled and threw tantrums every time there was a penalty (all they did what cheap shot us) and every time we scored.


Last edited by sbkbghockey: 06-24-2010 at 09:28 PM.
sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
  #13
jgherbert57
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Information need on the IJHL Junior A elite league

I have read the chain of responses. I do not know much about the IJHL however I have a son that has been asked to play junior A elite hockey in NJ, I want to make sure that this comning up season 2010 - 2011 would not be a wasted year as he has other offers to play in NORPAC/WSHL/MJHL. What is the current data on the IJHL for the 2010-2011 season?

jgherbert57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:45 AM
  #14
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Tier 3? junior?

WTF is the IJHL anyways?
Look at rosters and pay attention to birth year. You may also want to note that Prep schools play in this league. The champs this year, btw, is a team that was imported from Russia.

My opinion is that it's a league to avoid.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:48 AM
  #15
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgherbert57 View Post
however I have a son that has been asked to play junior A elite hockey in NJ
What program in NJ? I have pretty good knowledge of the Atlantic District.

You can private message me if you want to.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
  #16
StrBender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Looks like it's a new team http://www.ijhl.us/

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:33 PM
  #17
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrBender View Post
Looks like it's a new team http://www.ijhl.us/
yeah the IJHL is continuing to expand. The league has a few solid teams, but anytime you go into a non USA Hockey sanctioned league the level of competition and overall experince is a gamble.

The worst indy Jr. league is , the CJHL. (new for 2010)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=788005

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 02:08 PM
  #18
LcandCompAlum91
 
LcandCompAlum91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: miami florida
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
In the US
USHL is the top Jr. league, it's a US Hockey sanctioned Tier I league
slightly below the USHL level is the NAHL, the only Tier II league. And there's been a lot of growth in the talent of this league over the past few years.

In the Tier III leagues the level is generally below the U and NA, but a number of players go to the NCAA from the Tier IIIs or move up to the top Jr leagues then go to college.
I'd rate the tier IIIs in this order (although there's not too much of a difference btwn most of the leagues)
EJHL
MNJHL
NorPac
AJHL
CSHL
WSHL

Then there's the independent Jr. A leagues are not sanctioned by US Hockey, their levels of play can very dramatically and the teams and leagues tend not to be as stable as sanctioned leagues.
GMHL is an lndy league located in Ontario, idon't know much about it.
UJHL has a pretty good level of play on average a Jr B/low A level
NJHL is new for 09/10 but is made up of teams that left the UJHL plus a few others, I assume the level will be about the same.
The IJHL ranges from high school level, Jr. C, to B level, maybe a few teams that could compete in USA Hockey Santioned Jr A leagues.

there maybe some others I don't know since these leagues pop up and others fold every few seasons.

Our team played an ex game against an IJHL team a few seasons ago and they sucked!! Our team is an ACHA DII team, most guys played varsity HS, prep school, or Jr. B. We had a few guys that played AAA and Jr A. The IJHL team was no where close, they couldn't pass, hit, shoot, etc.. their coach yelled and threw tantrums every time there was a penalty (all they did what cheap shot us) and every time we scored.
That may be the correct ranking for skill wise, but scouting wise the cshl and the norpac dont get crap.

Gmhl is absolutely garbage unless if u play for elliot lake or south maskoka. And even then, the gmhl in canada is hated by everyone because it WAS an outlaw league.

They went to parliment in ottawa and basically said that they were like quote "a black minority being beaten by its white suppressor." They're implying that hockey canada was slandering their name and telling everyone they were crap, so some liberal ass judge who had no concept of hockey, gave them teir 2 status.

Bob russel, the owner of the league, looks like bubbles from trailer park boys and the entire league is a joke.

And everyones argument is, well those of us that live in bumbfukville muskoka or whatever in north ontario, that the kids need other options when they cant make the jr a teams.

Its called NATURAL SELECTION people and if your not good enough your not good enough. Play beer league and get on with your life.

This crap about creating an equal oppurtunity for everyone is liberal bull. Youre either good enough or your not.

The ijhl,gmhl,ujhl,aehl, and all these other leagues screw kids by giving them hope and actually making them believe that they have a chance. Then they waste their lives away when they age out and become rink rats.

Avoid these leagues at all costs. If you have to PAY TO PLAY for juniors unless if its the ejhl, it is not real junior.

LcandCompAlum91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
  #19
StrBender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcandCompAlum91 View Post
That may be the correct ranking for skill wise, but scouting wise the cshl and the norpac dont get crap.

Gmhl is absolutely garbage unless if u play for elliot lake or south maskoka. And even then, the gmhl in canada is hated by everyone because it WAS an outlaw league.

They went to parliment in ottawa and basically said that they were like quote "a black minority being beaten by its white suppressor." They're implying that hockey canada was slandering their name and telling everyone they were crap, so some liberal ass judge who had no concept of hockey, gave them teir 2 status.

Bob russel, the owner of the league, looks like bubbles from trailer park boys and the entire league is a joke.

And everyones argument is, well those of us that live in bumbfukville muskoka or whatever in north ontario, that the kids need other options when they cant make the jr a teams.

Its called NATURAL SELECTION people and if your not good enough your not good enough. Play beer league and get on with your life.

This crap about creating an equal oppurtunity for everyone is liberal bull. Youre either good enough or your not.

The ijhl,gmhl,ujhl,aehl, and all these other leagues screw kids by giving them hope and actually making them believe that they have a chance. Then they waste their lives away when they age out and become rink rats.

Avoid these leagues at all costs. If you have to PAY TO PLAY for juniors unless if its the ejhl, it is not real junior.
If you consider the EJ to be good, you should include the AJHL too. The top 3 teams would compete and other than the NHJM, JrBruins, Hitmen, the rest would play well against the other EJ teams

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:04 PM
  #20
Honu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 808
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrBender View Post
If you consider the EJ to be good, you should include the AJHL too. The top 3 teams would compete and other than the NHJM, JrBruins, Hitmen, the rest would play well against the other EJ teams
The only difference is that most AJHL alumni go to college hockey games to watch the EJHL alumni play.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
  #21
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcandCompAlum91 View Post
This crap about creating an equal oppurtunity for everyone is liberal bull. Youre either good enough or your not.
The defense rests, Your Honor...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.