HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik Rumor Thread Part I (Pednault and Eklund)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
But...

Kostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev
Tanguay Lang Gaborik
Higgins Chipchura S. Kostitsyn
Laraque Lapierre Begin/Kostopoulos

Markov Valentenko
Hamrlik O'byrne
Bouillon Gorges

Price / Halak
Defenses win championships, I thought it was clear by now for christ's sake. This line up is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Gaborik + Benoit Poulliot to Habs
Koivu + Higgins + top prospect to the Wilds

Poulliot could turn very soon to a first or 2 nd line center .
We are trying to win NOW not soon. Goddamnit. We don't have the assets to bring Gabby, live with it.

Old
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
emb24*

i agree with posters who said habs MAY pursue gaborik in February. let's make something perfectly clear; minny wants to sign him.

knowing he's a ufa gainey won't give up the house. if the deal were to happen in February you can bet it would involve one or a few of the habs 10 Minnesota prospects
;-)

a more realistic scenario is gainey throwing a ton of cash at him or hossa next summer if he can't sign kovy or tanguay--but Bob again went on record in newfoundland and discussed his preference to draft and develop top end talent rather then trade for it

Old
09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Ahem, you do realize that Pouliot is not a French Quebecer, right?

Old
09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Defenses win championships, I thought it was clear by now for christ's sake. This line up is terrible.

We are trying to win NOW not soon. Goddamnit. We don't have the assets to bring Gabby, live with it.
agreed. it's amazing the number of hab posters who completely disregard. COMPLETELY. gaineys desire for team chemistry. he LOVES higgins and koivu - his C & A..and now they're being dealt? together?

give me a break

Old
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

In my opinion Gaborik will never be a player worth his salary. If he can hold it together for an entire season he would be, but he never seems to be able to. Kind of like Havlat, but with a bit more talent.

Pass.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
if you prefer our d pairings could be.

Markov Gorges
Hamrlik O'byrne/Brisebois
Bouillon Valentenko

Old
09-18-2008, 04:01 PM
mcphee

Still, I think that at some point, Gainey wants a higher echelon 'best player' and a healthy Gaborik could fit that description. I don't think that the time element works right now, but if Minny felt that they'd made their best offer, who knows what they'd do ?

As for Higgins, he just seems as a likely player that would be attractive to Minny, supplemented by a highly rated prospect. As for Koivu, I'm not sure what the point would be in including him , it seems that you'd be just strengthening one aspect while weakening another. I'd be uneasy changing the identity of a god team.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old
09-18-2008, 04:07 PM
znk

Anyone who wants to trade Koivu this season to make a push for the cup should be shot.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Still, I think that at some point, Gainey wants a higher echelon 'best player' and a healthy Gaborik could fit that description. I don't think that the time element works right now, but if Minny felt that they'd made their best offer, who knows what they'd do ?

As for Higgins, he just seems as a likely player that would be attractive to Minny, supplemented by a highly rated prospect. As for Koivu, I'm not sure what the point would be in including him , it seems that you'd be just strengthening one aspect while weakening another. I'd be uneasy changing the identity of a god team.
Highly unlikely McPhee. I think Gainey would think it over about a thousand times before trading Higgins, considering he has to resign Komi, considering how loyal Higgins seems to be to the Habs, that would send a wrong message to the rest of the youth core and would be a step backwards to what he's trying to create. As for koivu, there is just no point in trading him, he'll stay here, he's a lifer, a rare one nowadays. He'll retire a Habs, I'd bet my nuts on it.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Anyone who wants to trade Koivu this season to make a push for the cup should be shot.
Anyone willing to overpay for Gaborik (IE: Trading Higgins) should be shot.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:

Shawn Belle? I think he'd be top 10 in their prospect pool
BTW, no. I hate seeing Koivu trades at this point. He's worked hard as hell for this team and we trade him away as soon as the team becomes a threat? Real classy.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Anyone willing to overpay for Gaborik (IE: Trading Higgins) should be shot.
I'd rather a much lighter punishment. I dunno, I think that this would provoke a lot of thought. I'd rather just let things go, start the season and see how everyone looks, get an idea of not only if last year's strengths are still strengths but also how it translates into next year's salaries. Availability might change things though.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
best image of the olympics...ever

Old
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I hope you have a lot of bullets

Old
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

***GET RID OF DANDENAULT NOW***

I think that we will all agree that we could not make a deal for Gaborik right now. That said, I could see it happen somewhere between Christmas and the trade deadline.

To MTL: Marian Gaborik

To MIN: Chris Higgins, 2009 1st round pick and any D prospect not named McDonagh

***Gainey could make a choice between Bégin and Kostopoulos at the same moment to get some cap space***

Possible lineup for the end of the season:

Gaborik-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
SKostitsyn-Lang-AKostitsyn
Bégin/Kostopoulos-Lapierre/Chipchura-Laraque

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Bouillon-Gorges

Price
Halak

Is it possible for next year?

Marian Gaborik: around 9M$
Alex Tanguay: around 5M$
Saku Koivu: around 3.5M$
Alex Kovalev: around 5.5M$
Andrei Kostitsyn: 3.25M$
Tomas Plekanec: around 4M$
Georges Laraque: 1.5M$
Kyle Chipchura: around 1M$
Guillaume Latendresse: around 1.25M$
Sergei Kostitsyn: 817k
Maxim Lapierre: 688k

11 forwards: around 35.5M$

Andrei Markov: 5.75M$
Mike Komisarek: around 4.75M$
Roman Hamrlik: 5.5M$
Ryan O'Byrne: 942k
Josh Gorges: 1.1M$

5 d-men: around 18M$

Carey Price: 2.2M$
Jaroslav Halak: 775k

2 goalies: around 3M$

We're a little over than 56M$. We would need at least two more depth forwards and one extra d-man. If the cap increases, do you think that it could happen? Do you think that the players to sign next season will get more/less money?

I think that it could happen. I would LOVE to get Gabby but if we're not in a cap hell next year, it won't be long before it gets back to us IMO (Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, etc).

Old
09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

To Minnesota : Dandenault

To Montreal: Gaborik

Old
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post

No ! i want to keep dandenault !

Seriously, i don't know where this rumor is coming from but IMO Gaborik is not a nice fit for the Habs. He cost too much, both on salary cap and to acquire for the risk.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post

If i were Minny, i would make that deal in a second. You cant put a price on the leadership and veteran presence Dandy brings.

Old
09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
habs86

vCash: 1238
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
I think he would b a great addition to our already sweet lineup, and yes I know we have to give up to get but we have lost out on many great players in the past. Lets make up for past mistakes. In BG I trust.

Old
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Artyukhin*

Games/Goals/assts/Total points

2007-08 Minnesota NHL 77 42 41 83 pts
2006-07 Minnesota NHL 48 30 27 57 pts
2005-06 Minnesota NHL 65 38 28 66 pts
2003-04 Minnesota NHL 65 18 22 40 pts
2002-03 Minnesota NHL 81 30 35 65 pts
2001-02 Minnesota NHL 78 30 37 67 pts

even the seasons he gets injured he puts up good numbers!30 to 42 goals a year and hard to say how many he would have had in 06/2007.
On a team like ours id think those number would increase. Our style of game differs some from the Wilds

Old
09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Ahem, you do realize that Pouliot is not a French Quebecer, right?
I know he 's not a Quebecer ...Who cares ? He was very high on the Habs prospect list but was picked up by the Wilds . The HAbs than picked up Price . I think that he's a very good prospect , no matter is his name . Anyway , i thought that Pouliot was a center , but i was wrong ; he's a winger .

Quote:
Gaborik would help to win NOW . Higgins + Koivu salaries = Gaborik salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I think that the name of Higgins comes a lot in the trade proposal , because we don't want to separate the Kostitsyn brothers , because Latendresse doesn't have as much value , and because Kovalev was our leader last season .

At that point , Higgins seems to be the most valuable but replacable player we have .

About Koivu , i 've got in mind that Pouliot was a center , but he's a winger . I thought that even if Pouliot would be a downgrade of Koivu by now , the addition of Gaborik would give so much offensive to the team , that at the ned , the team would better .

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
I know and who cares ? anyway , i thought that Pouliot was a center , but i was wrong ; he's a winger .

Not if we lose our #2 centre AND a top 6 Winger to replace him with only one player, anyhow your package is not even close value-wise, and forget about pouliot, it's even worst.

Old
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Thinking about it, him and Kovalchuk are pretty much the two superstars tailor made for last years system imo. Gaborik would get a lot of fans here, but what's the cost and how can the Habs fit him and keep their core?

Old
09-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Andy

Quote:
How would that make sense to trade Koivu and Higgins for Gaborik, we'd be taking a step backwards. We lose a 2nd line center who can put up 55-65 points and a 2nd line winger who can put up 50-55 points and 25-30 goals for a first line winger who may or may not play a whole year due to injury.

We'd lose almost a whole line and we'd go back to only two offensive lines instead of our current three offensive lines.

The hate for Saku and Higgins on this boards is freaking ridiculous. If someonbe would have said lets trade Sergei and Latendresse for Gaborik people would have flipped out.

At this point we don't need Gaborik because we'd only be subtracting to what is an already potent lineup. Taking away any two players that have played together last year to add a new player would just ruin chemistry.

Saku and Higgins understand each other, Saku and Higgins also understand how the rest of our team works. Getting rid of chemistry just to get a name player makes no sense.

I guess people are right, habs fans are never satisfied. They could have 12 big names players on their team and would complain that they don't have 13.

Kovalev- 50+pt player
Tanguay-50+pt player
Plekanec-50+pt player
A.Kostitsyn-50+pt player
S.Kostitsyn-50+pt player
Koivu-50+pt player
Higgins-50+pt player
Lang-50+pt player
Markov-50+pt player

what more do you want!!!

Only roster player that I'd consider trading for Gaborik would be Latendresse. I'd also be willing to give up any draft pick, also any prospect not named Max Pacioretty.

Old
09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Not if we lose our #2 centre AND a top 6 Winger to replace him with only one player, anyhow your package is not even close value-wise, and forget about pouliot, it's even worst.
Are you that sure that Koivu will be our 2 nd center ? Lang is more productive at ES , is bigger , and could end up playing with Kovalev .

Closed Thread