HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs Yotes 9/16 Rookie Game #2

Old
09-18-2008, 12:06 AM
hans

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hans
If Hickey turns out to be a regular Keith Ballard, I'd be happy with him.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 04:46 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Who didn't play today that played yesterday?
Scratches
Phoenix
Dusty Collins (Groin)
Tim Billingsley
Brett Motherwell

Los Angeles
Jonathan Bernier
Martin Jones
Davis Drewiske
Alec Martinez
David Meckler
Scott Parse
Olivier Legault
Justin Azevedo

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
If Hickey turns out to be a regular Keith Ballard, I'd be happy with him.
Personally Hickey doesn't play like Ballard at all. I see more Kimmo Timmonen in him.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
brownsully2312

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Personally Hickey doesn't play like Ballard at all. I see more Kimmo Timmonen in him.
The gentleman that resembled Ron Jeremy sitting next to us also thought he looked like a young Ballard. I see where you get Timmonen, but the reason I mentioned Ballard is cuz Hickey will throw the big hit if the opportunity is there, as well as from clips on youtube with Hickey, he will throw down to protect his teammates. For those reasons I thought he resembled Ballard. On the other hand that gentleman sitting near us that resembled Ron Jeremy, also thought Ed Jovanaski is the best defenseman in the league. So...well....mhmm mhmm mhmm Idk... But in my humble opinion the Ron Jeremy look alike was correct on Hickey.

brownsully2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsully2312 View Post
The gentleman that resembled Ron Jeremy sitting next to us also thought he looked like a young Ballard. I see where you get Timmonen, but the reason I mentioned Ballard is cuz Hickey will throw the big hit if the opportunity is there, as well as from clips on youtube with Hickey, he will throw down to protect his teammates. For those reasons I thought he resembled Ballard. On the other hand that gentleman sitting near us that resembled Ron Jeremy, also thought Ed Jovanaski is the best defenseman in the league. So...well....mhmm mhmm mhmm Idk... But in my humble opinion the Ron Jeremy look alike was correct on Hickey.
Was he wearing sweats and a heavy metal band t-shirt? If he was it probably was the Hedgehog.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I was at the game today. Life long King fan living in Phoenix now.

Hickey was solid. You can tell he will be a great leader one day. I can hear him yelling and communicating well with the others while on the ice. Looked to me like an upgraded Keith Ballard.

Doughty was amazing at times, but also made some mistakes. Definitely looked like he was trying to do too much at times. He will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

Voynov was my favorite Defenseman out there. Had some nice rushes again and seemed to look bored at times. Just needs to be careful with those rushes when he plays with the big boys.

Teubert and Campbell were both very solid. Both should be solid stay at home defenseman at the NHL level. Teubert could be a top pairing stay at home (ex Norstrom or Foote) Campbell could be a potential number 4 guy. I was very impressed and surprised by his play.

On forward Simmonds and Moller led the way again. As a previous poster mentioned, many Phoenix fans were very vocal towards Simmonds. He was physical and in there face. Yes he took a few dumb penalties, but I believe he'll be fine. Potential 2nd line power forward and I do believe he'll make the club this year.

Moller is so slick with the puck. Stickhandles like our good friend Ziggy. Wicket shot as well. Rang the crossbar in the 2nd period.

Lewis looked good. I can see why they drafted him in the 1st round. The speed and skill are there. The grittiness is there as well. He just needs to make better decisions with the puck. I believe he still has it in him to become a solid 2nd line/great 3rd line center in the NHL.

Loktionov has absolutely amazing skills, but he needs to drive to the net. He looked afraid to get hit at times.

Clune will our new Avery/Lappy. I really like the guy. Solid wheels too!

Zatkoff played well. Neither goal he allowed was his fault. Rowat was solid but looked uncomfortable at times.

All in all a great game! It was close. Pretty even back and fourth action. There will be an intense rivalry between the Kings and Coyotes for years to come.
lol

With that kind of review, we still lost 3-0.

Phoenix will surely win the Cup this season.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Ballard was a second pairing dman that was a fan favorite because of his balls to the wall play all the time. He was also known for his electrifying hip checks as well as having a total disregard for his body when it came to blocking shots. I don't see that same recklessness in Hickey's game. He's more composed along the lines of a Zubov but I just don't see that same upside in him that's why I said Timmonen.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote