HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Shanahan to Habs

Old
09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's really becoming ridiculous.

People should give their head a shake before posting that type of stuff.
Exaclty. They put an A on him very young, they let him take a prominent role talking to the press, Gainey just pointed him out as an example of the kind of player that copes well with the insane pressure and focus of Montreal. Higgins is not going anywhere.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Rocket Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Higgins is not going anywhere.
I sure hope so, but there will be some though decisions to make with all the UFA comming up.

Rocket Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Exaclty. They put an A on him very young, they let him take a prominent role talking to the press, Gainey just pointed him out as an example of the kind of player that copes well with the insane pressure and focus of Montreal. Higgins is not going anywhere.
I couldn't have said it better my self. Well done!

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jr. View Post
I sure hope so, but there will be some though decisions to make with all the UFA comming up.
Paying Higgins and Komisarek good market value for however long they'll agree to isn't a tough decision in my mind. Higgins is RFA and shouldn't be any harder to sign than Andrei was.

What to do about Koivu and Kovalev is much trickier in my mind.

Old
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's really becoming ridiculous.

People should give their head a shake before posting that type of stuff.
Oh I agree...but I check it out once in awhile when I need a good laugh.

Quote:
Not to offend anybody but I was thinking more towards the medias covering the NHL than the blogosphere...

Is upcomming UFA status won't help the rumour mill to cool down.

In Bob we trust.
lol...sorry about that Rocket Jr. I come here so often, that I have HF boards imprinted into my brain.

09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Paying Higgins and Komisarek good market value for however long they'll agree to isn't a tough decision in my mind. Higgins is RFA and shouldn't be any harder to sign than Andrei was.

Unless Higgins has a major breakout year where he score 30+ goals without affecting the rest of his game, he won't be earning a huge raise. I could easilly see him signing for a little less that AK. Komisarek will be tougher as he will command about 4.5-5 mil per year...if not more.

I think its more likely we'll see players like Begin, Bouillon and Dandy (if he's not gone before then) leaving to make room for our FA signings. Koivu should make pretty much the same money, so should Kovy who isn't getting any younger. Probably a front-loaded 4-5 year deal for those two.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Amen

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
MCD009

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Some veteran leadership would be appreciated, but not needed....He better ask for 1.3 mill not a penny more...Can we make some room though? I think yes...He could be really useful during a slump and in the stanley cup run... He can be a calming presence for the youngsters...And he can teach.

So...I am not atgainst but I don't really care now...he had his chance!!!!! His wife is ok with him coming here now??? That makes no sense to me though, all the wife thing... The guys are making millions a year and yet the woman have something to say???? I would tell my wife to shut up, that I am the one making the money and she should be grateful to have such a life. I mean come on!!!! You can do whatever you want, when you want. You can take a plane whenever you want to visit and stay for as long as you please...
And you if you think that's the way life works, you're obviously single or 14 years old.

MCD009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Rocket Jr.

Quote:

I look at it as a whole, we have 5 key players who need new contracts, Komi, Higgy, Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay. Considering the contract awarded to UFA in the last 2 years I'm afraid it will be difficult to keep the same (or equivalent core) for the same amount we are spending now. If it works out good, but I'm not as confident as you.

Time will tell and Gainey's real value will be put to light.

Old
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD009 View Post
And you if you think that's the way life works, you're obviously single or 14 years old.
And will remain so for a very long time.

Bah, hookers are cheaper, you get variety, and they don't boss you around.

Don't let those little things like, legality of it all, scandals, and STDs get in the way.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
I look at it as a whole, we have 5 key players who need new contracts, Komi, Higgy, Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay. Considering the contract awarded to UFA in the last 2 years I'm afraid it will be difficult to keep the same (or equivalent core) for the same amount we are spending now. If it works out good, but I'm not as confident as you.

Time will tell and Gainey's real value will be put to light.
Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt it will be tough, and maybe not wise to keep the whole core together. I just think Higgins, as the only RFA in the group you list, will be much easier to sign at a reasonable price than the others. Koivu and Kovalev I worry about the term more than the salary. Tanguay's situation who knows. And Komisarek I don't even think about because he simply must be signed long term. There is no other acceptable outcome.

Just to stir things up, Pleks will be RFA too. If gets 60+ pts again he's going to want to get paid some fairly serious dollars. BG has his work cut out for him.

Old
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Mad Habber

Shanahan, I wanted him in 95. When both him and Curtis Joseph got traded out of St.Louis (different directions). Anyone think Mike Keenan would have traded those two for Patrick Roy and Mike Keane. Looks pretty close to me in value. And Keenan did get rid of the other two. He got Pronger for Shanny, can't remember who he got for Joseph. I think it could have worked. Better value than what we got for Roy from Colorado.

It isn't the fact that we traded Roy that killed us, it's what we got in exchange. Can anyone picture Koivu centring Recchi and Shanahan instead of Recchi and Savage.

Today, Shanny, no thanks.

Old
09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Rocket Jr.

5 out of your top 6 forward renegotiating, ouch, let's enjoy this season first ...
And this whole thing started with Shany or Lang in Montreal ...

Old
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Shanahan, I wanted him in 95. When both him and Curtis Joseph got traded out of St.Louis (different directions). Anyone think Mike Keenan would have traded those two for Patrick Roy and Mike Keane. Looks pretty close to me in value. And Keenan did get rid of the other two. He got Pronger for Shanny, can't remember who he got for Joseph. I think it could have worked. Better value than what we got for Roy from Colorado.

It isn't the fact that we traded Roy that killed us, it's what we got in exchange. Can anyone picture Koivu centring Recchi and Shanahan instead of Recchi and Savage.

Today, Shanny, no thanks.
if we did that tarde we never would have had Rucinsky

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's already begun as most of the trade proposals I've read involving the Habs on the trade board contain Higgins name.
I don't mind that as much as seeing a trade like Dandenault for the other team's best player... At least there's an understanding that you have to give something good to get a good player in return.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
if we did that tarde we never would have had Rucinsky
or Juha Lind.

Kovalenko turned into Thornton who turned into Lind.

Old
09-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Miller Time

i know that im bumping an old thread, but i wanted to comment on shanny and figured bumping would be better than starting a new thread...

I'd be all for the habs making a solid offer to Shanahan. if we could find a way to dump dandy and one of Kosto/Begin on someone, we could fit him i and keep some space.

while he isnt the player he was two or three years ago, i think he can still bring some qualities to the team that we need.
we don't need him to be an offensive dynamo, but having him in the locker room could help (we have quite a young team, and judging by last years playoff disappointment, i think a guy of his character/experience would go a long way to helping some of those younger guys at crunch time).
And even though he might not have the body to hold up for 82 games, when he does manage to stay healthy and in the lineup, the guy only knows how to play one way, HARD, and younger guys like Pleks, Higgins, Kost brothers and lats could only benefit from his influence.

Tanguay- Koivu- Shanny
Higgins- Lang- Kovy
Kost jr- Pleks- Kost
Laps- Chips- Lats/Laraque
begin/kosto

Markov-Komi
Hammer-O'Byrne
Gorges- Bouillion

price
halak

that's one heck of a lineup, imo.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 06:59 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

Tanguay- Koivu- Shanny
Higgins- Lang- Kovy
Kost jr- Pleks- Kost
Laps- Chips- Lats/Laraque
begin/kosto

Markov-Komi
Hammer-O'Byrne
Gorges- Bouillion

price
halak

that's one heck of a lineup, imo.

You are basically just putting Shannahan in Lats spot, thats not an upgrade anymore imo..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:41 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
You are basically just putting Shannahan in Lats spot, thats not an upgrade anymore imo..
Shanny at the end of his career is leaps and bounds over Lats at this point. Saying it is not an upgrade does not make it so. Shanny in our line up is superior to Lats in out line up.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Shanny at the end of his career is leaps and bounds over Lats at this point. Saying it is not an upgrade does not make it so. Shanny in our line up is superior to Lats in out line up.
I'd rather skip on Shanahan than see Latendresse losing a year of development on the fourth line.

For the first time in ages we have three good offensive centers to complement our deep wingers pool. Lats will benefit from this situation, and finally he'll have the chance to flourish on a permanent offensive line.

If we're talking about a Gaborik it would be different, but Shanny is not enough of an upgrade over Latendresse to put him on a fourth line and stagnated his development.

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:54 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
I'd rather skip on Shanahan than see Latendresse losing a year of development on the fourth line.

For the first time in ages we have three good offensive centers to complement our deep wingers pool. Lats will benefit from this situation, and finally he'll have the chance to flourish on a permanent offensive line.

If we're talking about a Gaborik it would be different, but Shanny is not enough of an upgrade over Latendresse to put him on a fourth line and stagnated his development.
I don't know man.

Shanahan would look damn sexy riding Koivu's shotgun in the playoffs.

Edit: Wow that didn't come out the way I intended.. I guess I should have said "riding shotgun with Koivu"

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Saying that Shanny has leaps and bounds superiority over Lats does not make it so..
But see how lame of an argument that is? LOL

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It's hilarious to see that in spite of our own GM categorically saying that he won't pursue Shanahan, that we have players who fill that role, this thread is still going...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
It's hilarious to see that in spite of our own GM categorically saying that he won't pursue Shanahan, that we have players who fill that role, this thread is still going...
He should be a perfect signing once we trade for Gaborik and Sundin finally commits though

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I don't know man.

Shanahan would look damn sexy riding Koivu's shotgun in the playoffs.

Edit: Wow that didn't come out the way I intended.. I guess I should have said "riding shotgun with Koivu"
Loll good lapsus!

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote