HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Fan of the Vreds

vCash: 500
Brock Nixon

Brock Nixon is indeed playing with the Dino's. He had two assists in a Dino's 6-3 win over the University of Lethbridge..

I was up at the AUC last week to watch the Vreds practice. I must say although it was a practice the boys looked real good... They are big and fast...

I did leave there wondering who a couple of the players were but my questions have been answered in Campbell and Paul...

Campbell looks to have decent speed and Cuddihy looked great with Tremblay and Dickeson, but who wouldn't playing with these two... Only question is if and when Daine Todd shows up where will he be playing? Obviously he must have a pretty good skill set to be invited to play with the Coyotes rookie team. I will be excited to see him play..

The lines for the drills were as follows...

Cuddihy/Tremblay/Dickeson
Clendenning/Pearce/Bailey
Henderson/Macintosh/Paul
Campbell/Seymour/Hodgson

Defense will be much stronger, they had both Hepeditch and Aldred playing defense.. Stamler will be rock solid as will Harty.

Both goalies played great as well making some unbelievable saves.

Only 4 more days....

Old
09-16-2008, 07:50 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Actually, the only other name that I myself heard MacDougall/UNB was interested in, or rumoured to be interested in, was Brock Nixon. Nixon is said, however, to be joining the University of Calgary Dinos (see "CIS 2008-09 off-season recruiting"). He was traded last year from Kamloops to Calgary so him staying in Calgary certainly would not be a stretch, although I haven't been able to find any confirmation of this on the web... maybe it's only speculation at this point. Sure would make a good addition to what appears to be an already great UNB team.
I spoke to Gardiner yesterday. There is still another unnamed potential recruit out there in pro camp land ...

Old
09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I spoke to Gardiner yesterday. There is still another unnamed potential recruit out there in pro camp land ...
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old
09-18-2008, 07:03 AM
FreddtFoyle

Some impressions from the UNB-STU game

Some impressions from last night's UNB-STU exhibition game:

UNB didn't look like they were ready to play to start the game, and although Yeomans looked bad on two of the first three goals, the whole team was sleepwalking. STU looked like a team that had one exhibition game under their belt and UNB like a team playing their first game. After Yeomans got the hook UNB woke up and then the contest was effectively over as they reeled off six straight goals and completely dominated play ...

First impressions on the rookies:
- Travis Fullerton: solid in nets, although he only had to make a couple of tough saves
- Jonathan Harty: clearly got the memo that UNB d-men are expected to pinch in as he did just that all night. His goal was a beaut as he walked into a open lane while the energy line had all the Tommies sucked into a cycle vortex in the corner.
- Dion Campbell: fits the energy line well
- Jordan Clendenning: lots of pressure on him as his family were the principle organizers of this benefit game. Played well ... Looks to be a third liner for now.
- Bretton Stamler: very smooth, effective, top-4 d-man
- Jimmy Cuddihy: like with Dal, he knows what to do around the net. Should be at least a point-a-game guy this season.

Overall the two new D were more impressive than the forwards, i.e. they look to be top-4 guys before the end of the season. Only after one game Clendenning and Campbell look to be interchangeable with Ryan Seymour and Josh Hepditch. Cuddihy is centring the top line until Daine Todd gets back from camp, and certainly doesn't look bad there.

Old
09-18-2008, 08:45 AM
vredsfan

Quote:
Some impressions from last night's UNB-STU exhibition game:

UNB didn't look like they were ready to play to start the game, and although Yeomans looked bad on two of the first three goals, the whole team was sleepwalking. STU looked like a team that had one exhibition game under their belt and UNB like a team playing their first game. After Yeomans got the hook UNB woke up and then the contest was effectively over as they reeled off six straight goals and completely dominated play ...

First impressions on the rookies:
- Travis Fullerton: solid in nets, although he only had to make a couple of tough saves
- Jonathan Harty: clearly got the memo that UNB d-men are expected to pinch in as he did just that all night. His goal was a beaut as he walked into a open lane while the energy line had all the Tommies sucked into a cycle vortex in the corner.
- Dion Campbell: fits the energy line well
- Jordan Clendenning: lots of pressure on him as his family were the principle organizers of this benefit game. Played well ... Looks to be a third liner for now.
- Bretton Stamler: very smooth, effective, top-4 d-man
- Jimmy Cuddihy: like with Dal, he knows what to do around the net. Should be at least a point-a-game guy this season.

Overall the two new D were more impressive than the forwards, i.e. they look to be top-4 guys before the end of the season. Only after one game Clendenning and Campbell look to be interchangeable with Ryan Seymour and Josh Hepditch. Cuddihy is centring the top line until Daine Todd gets back from camp, and certainly doesn't look bad there.

I would generally agree with FrdddtFoyle's assessment of the rookies.

I would add that last year's rookies look like they are ready to take it to the next level. Henderson and Bailey looked very strong, and Tremblay is Tremblay - he is a terrific player.

Overall, if the VReds are not as dominant this year as last, I think it will be mainly because the other teams in the league have improved. This is going to be a very fast, skilled team. The defensive corps will be stronger than last year, and when the forwards start to gel and the line combinations get sorted out they will be very deep. I saw Todd in camp and he will be a very solid addition.

Old
09-18-2008, 06:17 PM
SuperSquirrel

Daine Todd to attend Phoenix Coyotes Veteran's Camp

It seems as if Daine Todd won't be joining the VReds for their upcoming Fall Classic Tournament being held this weekend at the AUC. Todd has been selected as one of 32 forwards, along with 18 defensemen and 6 goaltenders, that have been invited to attend the camp which gets underway this Saturday. When will Todd actually join UNB, who knows, but it sure will be nice to see him wearing a VReds jersey... Rob who? See full article at http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=382305.

Old
09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Fan of the Vreds

I was just on the Phoenix Coyotes website and noticed that Daine Tood has been invited to the main camp. Is there a certain date that he needs to show up at UNB before he is ineligible to play? Also any update on the "potential recurit"?

Old
09-19-2008, 05:41 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Rob who?
Wow. That didn't take long. Didn't realize the squirrel was a cannibalistic species.

Old
09-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
I was just on the Phoenix Coyotes website and noticed that Daine Tood has been invited to the main camp. Is there a certain date that he needs to show up at UNB before he is ineligible to play? Also any update on the "potential recurit"?
Dec 31st

Old
09-19-2008, 05:51 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Wow. That didn't take long. Didn't realize the squirrel was a cannibalistic species.
Cannibalism... NO! Wishful thinking... YES!

Old
09-19-2008, 06:04 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Cannibalism... NO! Wishful thinking... YES!
But Eagles are birds of prey that like small rodents

Old
09-19-2008, 07:22 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
As long as a student-athlete has been accepted by the university, registered for all of his or her classes by the deadline (Sept. 17) and paid all fees (first day of classes - Sept 2) they can join the team anytime first term. Otherwise they can't start until after Christmas. Of course if you parachute in too late you'll be way behind in your classes and if you bomb first term academically the Varsity Athletics program won't let you play second term ...

Old
09-19-2008, 12:28 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
As long as a student-athlete has been accepted by the university, registered for all of his or her classes by the deadline (Sept. 17) and paid all fees (first day of classes - Sept 2) they can join the team anytime first term. Otherwise they can't start until after Christmas. Of course if you parachute in too late you'll be way behind in your classes and if you bomb first term academically the Varsity Athletics program won't let you play second term ...
No worries, I'll offer to do his homework and exams for him!
Hope he's not taking calculus

Old
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Fan of the Vreds

So is it safe to assume that Daine will be in Fredericton this year? I noticed on the Vreds website his name and picture is on the roster page.

About 5 hours until game time. It may be another blow out. I seen that Alberta beat Carleton 12-2 last week..

On a side note, Hennigar had two assists as the Islanders rookies beat the Briuns rookies 8-4...

Old
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
I seen that Alberta beat Carleton 12-2 last week..
Your english is about as good as your choice in teams.

Old
09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
gnosh

Quote:
About 5 hours until game time. It may be another blow out. I seen that Alberta beat Carleton 12-2 last week..
Alberta beat 'Concordia College' (ACAC) 12-2 last week ... I believe this will be Carleton's first game of the year ...

Old
09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
eraserhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Your english is about as good as your choice in teams.
10-4, dude. 10-4.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:34 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post
10-4, dude. 10-4.

Touché

Old
09-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Westfall18

hey UNB fans..where can I get my hands on a UNB Jersey? anyone know?

Old
09-24-2008, 09:23 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfall18 View Post
hey UNB fans..where can I get my hands on a UNB Jersey? anyone know?
Unfortunately they only sell them at the games, and not in a store or on the Internet. You could try calling them at the Varsity Reds office at 506-447-3333 or perhaps e-mail one of the staff there, Shyanne, at skeith *at* unb.ca

Old
09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
FreddtFoyle

Islander-UNB photos

If you go to this link http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=383283 on the NYI Islander website you will see their game story on the UNB - Islander Rookie game. Near the top of the page is a link that will take you to a photo slideshow.

There is one minor mistake in their game story: Tremblay's goal came off a pass from Jimmy Cuddihy who was behind the Islander net.

Old
09-25-2008, 01:38 PM
FreddtFoyle

Video clips from UNB-Islanders

If you go to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers website http://soundtigers.com/ and click on Multimedia you can see clips from the UNB-Islander Rookies game, plus a post-game interview with Rob Henngar. The Sound Tigers are the AHL affiliate of the Islander, and were the uniforms the Islander Rookies (they should call them "Prospects") wore against UNB.

Old
09-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Westfall18

Quote:
Unfortunately they only sell them at the games, and not in a store or on the Internet. You could try calling them at the Varsity Reds office at 506-447-3333 or perhaps e-mail one of the staff there, Shyanne, at skeith *at* unb.ca
Hey man, thanks again..I did just that..thanks for sending me the info on IslandersMania.

Old
09-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Quote:
So is it safe to assume that Daine will be in Fredericton this year? I noticed on the Vreds website his name and picture is on the roster page.

On a side note, Hennigar had two assists as the Islanders rookies beat the Briuns rookies 8-4...
I was just on the Coyotes website and Daine Todd was sent down to their AHL farm team in San Antonio to start training camp there on Sunday. So this does not look good... It's also probably safe to say the other potential recruit is not coming either.

Old
09-27-2008, 07:20 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
I was just on the Coyotes website and Daine Todd was sent down to their AHL farm team in San Antonio to start training camp there on Sunday. So this does not look good... It's also probably safe to say the other potential recruit is not coming either.
Certainly the longer it takes, the less likely Todd will be in a VReds uni, but being sent to the AHL camp without a contract, and the very high probability of only being offered a 2-way AHL/ECHL deal at best still leaves a window of opportunity open. A lot of players are too smart to play in the ECHL and decide to go the CIS route. A lot of that will depend on what kind of soft promises and sweet nothings the coaches are whispering to Todd to motivate him. I've seen players stick it out and make the AHL, and others end up regretting the decision. Who knows?

All I know is that if this is the team, they're good enough to win. I think they'll be a harder working, and definitely more physical team than last year. But they remind me a bit more of the 07 squad than the 08 squad and it'll take awhile for this team to find its true identity. UNB will once again be relying on youth as more than half the lineup are rookies or 2nd year players, a bit unusual for a team expected to be very competitive, but not unheard of. That suggests a lot of room for improvement from within.

Don't count out GMac either - he usually pulls a rabbit out of his hat at Christmas if he feels he needs something.

Closed Thread