HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

08/09 Philadelphia Flyers Prospect Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Was at camp today... highlights:

- Clackson doesn't even attempt to play hockey...

- Andreas Nodl and Jonathan Matsumoto were clearly the best forwards on the ice... I think both of these guys have some significant upside in the NHL

- Luca Sbisa is small, but he's a hell of a defender.

- Mike Ratchuck was incredible with the puck... He also seems to be the class clown out there, he gets along with everyone and was always the last one off the ice. He seems like he has a great attitude

- This is my 3rd year at rookie camp, and i noticed that this group seems like they are all friends more so then any other year. Little things like Downie hooking Ratchuk during laps, Sbisa making fun of Klotz after practice, and Ratchuk play fighting with Nodl after stretching showed to me that many of these guys get along real well

- Garrett Klotz is not a bad skater

- Both goalies during the scrimmage (Teslak and DeSerres) played pretty good. Each one made one spectacular save during the game
Thanks a lot, Inebriator! I've been waiting for a report like this for a few days now.

Clackson seems like he really wants to prove that he can be an enforcer at the pro level. But, does he have the "talent" to pester and stand up to opponents on a nightly basis? It seems like he's certainly proving that he can alienate teammates.

I've heard nothing but good things about Mats, including the prospects camp and last year with the Phantoms. I guess he's turned into the center prospect that we were looking for, after Carter/Richards graduated. It'll be good to have Mats/Nodl anchoring the Phantoms, and we'll probably see them as call-ups at some point this year.

As someone else asked, I think since Sbisa was drafted out of the WHL, and not Switzerland, he'd be subject to the 20 year old/AHL rule. He'll probably end up in the same boat as Giroux was last year, where he basically out grew the competition.

I think Ratchuk will be a dynamic d-man for us down the road, as long as his size doesn't hinder him, or cause injury. I've heard nothing but great things about his speed and moves. Hopefully a few years with the Phantoms will improve his defense as well.

Great to hear about the camaraderie between the guys. It's always good to see teammates get along well on and off the ice. Hopefully these prospects will develop and move up together.

I remember reading a few times that Klotz is actually a decent skater for his size/role, and he can fight, but his skills as an actual hockey player are in question. I guess Klotz and Clackson will have some time with the Phantoms to figure themselves out.

As for the goalies, we all know we can use as much help as we can get there.

Old
09-17-2008, 07:36 PM
iceman42

Inebriator -- Heard there was an unknown Russian forward who has been at camp, any idea on who it is.

Last edited by iceman42: 09-17-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old
09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Nice summary, Inebriator.

What's the plan with Sbisa this year? Juniors or Phantoms?
He's not old enough to go to the AHL, so he'll be back in the dub.

edit: in fact, I'm pretty sure he's so young he can't even go to the AHL next year. It's pretty shocking to see a defenseman look so strong at such a young age. I know he's playing against other rookies, but at that level of experience the forwards should carve up the D.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post

edit: in fact, I'm pretty sure he's so young he can't even go to the AHL next year. It's pretty shocking to see a defenseman look so strong at such a young age. I know he's playing against other rookies, but at that level of experience the forwards should carve up the D.
He's a great skater, too. At prospect camp, he skated backward better than some of the of guys skated forward.

Old
09-17-2008, 09:06 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
Inebriator -- Heard there was an unknown Russian forward who has been at camp, any idea on who it is.
That might have been the guy playing center whose number was unlisted on the roster. He looked decent, whoever it was

Old
09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Was at camp today...
Awesome just awesome thank you..............

Old
09-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Nice summary, Inebriator.

What's the plan with Sbisa this year? Juniors or Phantoms?
As CantSeeColors already said, WHL with the Lethbridge Hurricanes for the next two seasons (08/09 and 09/10). After this two seasons he is eligible to play for the Phantoms. Shortly after the Draft I read a quote from Don Luce saying that he thinks Sbisa will need four years until he is NHL ready, two more years with the Hurricanes and two years with the Phantoms.

Old
09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
iceman42

Quote:
That might have been the guy playing center whose number was unlisted on the roster. He looked decent, whoever it was
yeah that seems to be all the information that anyone knows.

thanks

Old
09-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
yeah that seems to be all the information that anyone knows.

thanks
Are you talking about Igor Karlov? Hes a local kid actually. Same age as me, I grew up playing with and against him. He's a smooth skater with a pretty decent shot but hates to pass. Dont let the name fool you, he's from PA. He might have been born in Russia but Ive known the kid for a long time and he's always spoken perfect english which leads me to believe he has been in PA for much longer than I have known him which is since he was maybe 12 or so. I played with him this past summer and he was telling me about the russian league he played him and how he was hoping for a spot on an east coast team. He is for sure good enough to play in the ECHL and could fight for a spot on the phantoms but even that is unlikely. Hes 23 I believe so its not like hes a kid straight out of juniors. I said it on another thread buit I'll repeat it here, Im guessing he is a guy that helped fill spots they needed for the little tourny they are having, or maybe they are trying him out for a phantoms spot. Its highly unlikely you will ever see him in the NHL.

Old
09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Are you talking about Igor Karlov? Hes a local kid actually. Same age as me, I grew up playing with and against him. He's a smooth skater with a pretty decent shot but hates to pass. Dont let the name fool you, he's from PA. He might have been born in Russia but Ive known the kid for a long time and he's always spoken perfect english which leads me to believe he has been in PA for much longer than I have known him which is since he was maybe 12 or so. I played with him this past summer and he was telling me about the russian league he played him and how he was hoping for a spot on an east coast team. He is for sure good enough to play in the ECHL and could fight for a spot on the phantoms but even that is unlikely. Hes 23 I believe so its not like hes a kid straight out of juniors. I said it on another thread buit I'll repeat it here, Im guessing he is a guy that helped fill spots they needed for the little tourny they are having, or maybe they are trying him out for a phantoms spot. Its highly unlikely you will ever see him in the NHL.
Thanks for the info!

Old
09-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Downie View Post
Thanks for the info!
lol, "Registered Bruiser"...I love it!

Old
09-18-2008, 11:57 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
As CantSeeColors already said, WHL with the Lethbridge Hurricanes for the next two seasons (08/09 and 09/10). After this two seasons he is eligible to play for the Phantoms. Shortly after the Draft I read a quote from Don Luce saying that he thinks Sbisa will need four years until he is NHL ready, two more years with the Hurricanes and two years with the Phantoms.
Thanks, guys!

09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
As CantSeeColors already said, WHL with the Lethbridge Hurricanes for the next two seasons (08/09 and 09/10). .
I'm going to watch Luca Sbisa Play against the Chilliwack Bruins on Oct 29th. Unfotanetely it will be only once, as Lethbridge doesn't play against the Vancouver Giants in Vancouver this year.

Old
09-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
I'm going to watch Luca Sbisa Play against the Chilliwack Bruins on Oct 29th. Unfotanetely it will be only once, as Lethbridge doesn't play against the Vancouver Giants in Vancouver this year.
Definitely give us a report of Sbisa when you see him, on TV or in person. I think he's going to get exponentially better this year, and it would be nice to get some first hand reports of him, other than just reading the stats page. Thanks man.

Old
09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Sbisa sounds like one hell of a defenseman at the moment. Talk about a great pick in the draft. Lets all hope now that eminger is gonna be in the same place and other homer masterclass deal

Old
09-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Caps rookies beat Flyers rookies 7-0. Ouch!

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?se...LPage&id=22945

Old
09-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Who scored. Its not loading for me

Old
09-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Who scored. Its not loading for me
it's also on the front page:

http://capitals.nhl.com

It only mentions the score and the 4 pp goals the caps scored. No names.

Old
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
txpd

Here's the scoring summary:
First:
5:59 -- PPG Morin (Bouchard, Carlson)
17:26 -- PPG Bouchard (Perreault, Pinizzotto)

Second:
11:11-- PPG Pinizzotto (Godfrey, Alzner)
14:18 -- PPG Morin (Beagle, Kugryshev)

Third:
4:42 - Lacroix (Morin)
11:58 - Taylor (Broda, Dovgan)
12:44 - Perreault

Old
09-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:

That sucks. Retribution for last year I guess

Old
09-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Good.. Hopefully that will wake them up..

Old
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Andreas Nodl and Jonathan Matsumoto were clearly the best forwards on the ice. Nodl made tons of excellent passes, and Matsumoto was making plays happen all over the ice. It looks like these two might be featured on the Phantoms top scoring line together next season. Nodl scored on his shootout attempt at the end with a Gagne type backhand move, and he also setup a goal earlier in the game. I think both of these guys have some significant upside in the NHL
Yes please. I love the idea of an austrian playing on the Flyers.
Also, since I always forget to ask, could somebody fill me in on where Jon Matsumoto's last name comes from.

Old
09-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Yes please. I love the idea of an austrian playing on the Flyers.
Also, since I always forget to ask, could somebody fill me in on where Jon Matsumoto's last name comes from.
He's from Orleans, It's the east side of Ottawa. I believe he's of Japanese descent.

Old
09-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Rick Deckard

Jakub Kovar played his first complete O2 Extraliga game yesterday and allowed nine goals on 25 shots. Budejovice lost the game 4-9 against HC Lasselsberger Plzen.

An injury update on Lehtivuori and Kempe from Meltzer via Hockeybuzz
Quote:
* Joonas Lehtivuori suffered a broken hand in an SM-Liiga game and will out for at least the next four to six weeks.

* Mario Kempe missed the Elitserien opener yesterday. He's still feeling the effects of a broken nose suffered when he got hit flush in the face with a puck during practice. He should be back soon. Kempe also tweaked a knee during the Flyers' prospect camp this summer, but is recovered.

Last edited by Rick Deckard: 09-20-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old
09-20-2008, 11:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Jakub Kovar played his first complete O2 Extraliga game yesterday and allowed nine goals on 25 shots. Budejovice lost the game 4-9 against HC Lasselsberger Plzen.

An injury update on Lehtivuori and Kempe from Meltzer via Hockeybuzz
ummm wow on the kovar information

Closed Thread