HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks on Zherdev 09/19/08

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
  #1
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Brooks on Zherdev 09/19/08

Geez, Uncle Larry, jump to conclusions, much?

Quote:
But after a second day of camp in which No. 13 was the laziest athlete on the ice. Yes, it's just two days, but it took only one day in 1999 to expose Pavel Brendl - there's not much question why Zherdev, the fourth overall selection of the 2003 Entry Draft, was an underachiever for most of his four-year tenure with the Blue Jackets.
I know he's pissed that his mancrush Avery is gone, but it's amazing to me that Brooks is still able to write this crap. I don't know if Zherdev has or has not been the laziest guy on the ice, but I do know it takes more than two pre-season practices to settle in.

Brooks also pointed out that Zherdev has "already" been moved off the top line for some shifts, implying he's in Renney's dog house. The fact is that Renney told the assembled media on Tuesday that he would be moving lines around to try different combos.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:20 AM
  #2
Turambar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Brooks is a tool, and this is why.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  #3
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
He wrote it, you read it, you reacted to it.

Game, set and match Mr. Brooks.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
  #4
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He wrote it, you read it, you reacted to it.

Game, set and match Mr. Brooks.
Geez, SBOB, thanks for adding your insights to the discourse.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:26 AM
  #5
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
As I wrote in the training camp thread, Zherdev's work ethic has been the knock on him for his entire career, so its not like Brooks is pulling this stuff out of mid-air. Its a legitimate concern.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:28 AM
  #6
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Geez, SBOB, thanks for adding your insights to the discourse.
Because, "Larry Brooks is such an idiot" is a new thought around here.

His job is to get people to read his stuff. And he does it well.

The thought that Zhverdev has a dubious work ethic is hardly new. In fact it was a concern from the moment the trade was made.

So what is he really saying here that is so far off?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:29 AM
  #7
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Brooks is a tool, and this is why.
What is why?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:29 AM
  #8
AK2794
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Brooks is a D-bag for writing this. None of the other reporters that maintain blogs were this harsh even in their own blogs. Yes they mentioned the turnover to Drury that led to the Dawes goal, but they never said Zherdev was doggin it.

Whatever, its not the best way to welcome Zherdev to the NY media, but I'm sure he'll be ok and probably rebound well today.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:30 AM
  #9
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
Brooks is a D-bag for writing this. None of the other reporters that maintain blogs were this harsh even in their own blogs. Yes they mentioned the turnover to Drury that led to the Dawes goal, but they never said Zherdev was doggin it.

Whatever, its not the best way to welcome Zherdev to the NY media, but I'm sure he'll be ok and probably rebound well today.
He's doing his job. What is so hard to understand about that. Larry Brooks is no more of an expert than any of us here.

What's amazing is people still choose to get upset by what he writes. He's such an idiot, I wouldn't think that anyone who care what he writes.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:30 AM
  #10
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
I'm not there to see it, so it's hard for me to call Brooks out on a bias.

That said, Sam Weinman called the turnover without the negative spin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Weinman
The line of Nikolai Zherdev-Scott Gomez-Markus Naslund continued to fly, although not without incident. After trying to make a move heading into the offensive zone, Zherdev coughed up the puck to Chris Drury headed the other way. A pass found Nigel Dawes, who rifled a shot high stick side on Henrik Lundqvist.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Now's the time for Zherdev to experiment with these "cute" offensive plays. Hopefully, it'll be a lesson learned after some video review and recap with linemates, opposition and coaches.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
  #11
AK2794
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's doing his job. What is so hard to understand about that. Larry Brooks is no more of an expert than any of us here.

What's amazing is people still choose to get upset by what he writes. He's such an idiot, I wouldn't think that anyone who care what he writes.
It's not hard to understand he's doing his job, I get it.

The fact is that no other reporters but the negative spin that Brooks put on Zherdev. He's basically setting himself up to reference this article after Z has a bad/lazy game. Also, he's most likely still bitter from his love affair with Jagr and Avery ending, and its not like Zherdev outscored Jagr las year on a much worse team!

"Psuedo Star-like body language?" Please he's exaggerating, same things were said about Jagr before because of his rep. Also, he makes it seem like Z got demoted when in fact it was Naslund that was "demoted" while others like Korp got a shot with Gomez and Zherdev.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:41 AM
  #12
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,456
vCash: 500
this is to be expected from Zherdev. The question is does Renney take him off the line for a day and teach him how to go forward with the puck (i.e., a lesson to nip this in the bud from the get-go), or does he let Zherdev be Zherdev and encourage a more free-wheeling spirit out there that will be creative and for him to play his game needs to play that way. In other words, what kind of game does Renney want him to play. Campbell tried to stifle Kovalev. He goes to PITT and Constantine and other coaches there let him play his game and he thrives. This could get interesting.

As for Brooks - I know the mods want this to be about the news, not about who reported it, but as Singn' says, his job is to get people to read his articles. People don't like that sometimes he can be brutally honest, other times way off base, and other times sounding an early alarm that presents him as a bit negative and thus he has some sort of agenda. Whatever it is, we still look to him for news and continue to read his reports - job well done Larry.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
  #13
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
It's not hard to understand he's doing his job, I get it.

The fact is that no other reporters but the negative spin that Brooks put on Zherdev. He's basically setting himself up to reference this article after Z has a bad/lazy game. Also, he's most likely still bitter from his love affair with Jagr and Avery ending, and its not like Zherdev outscored Jagr las year on a much worse team!

"Psuedo Star-like body language?" Please he's exaggerating, same things were said about Jagr before because of his rep. Also, he makes it seem like Z got demoted when in fact it was Naslund that was "demoted" while others like Korp got a shot with Gomez and Zherdev.
Maybe that's why Brooks is one of the best at what he does.

Again, if he's such an idiot, why read his stuff. Or even put any stock into it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
  #14
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Whatever, lets see some games and all come to our own conclusions before we take what Brooks has to say to heart.

You know this is what he does, no surprise here.

I'm sure Zherdev will have his growing pains, and he might not be on the ball as a Drury or Gomez, but as soon as he scores a game winner in MSG, its gonna be a huge shot in the arm for him - watch.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
  #15
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Awards:
I was lambasted for throwing out the whole "Well remember it's Eklund" thing in that trade rumor thread the other day, but I'll do it again here: Remember, it's Brooks. Take what you read with a heaping helping of salt.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
  #16
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I don't know if Zherdev has or has not been the laziest guy on the ice, but I do know it takes more than two pre-season practices to settle in.
It takes more than 2 pre-season practices to settle in. It doesn't take 2 pre-season practices to work hard.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
  #17
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Because, "Larry Brooks is such an idiot" is a new thought around here.

His job is to get people to read his stuff. And he does it well.

The thought that Zhverdev has a dubious work ethic is hardly new. In fact it was a concern from the moment the trade was made.

So what is he really saying here that is so far off?
Brooks has two forums to write in: his column and his articles. The former is the place for him to opine about his perceived lack of desire in Zherdev, the latter is supposed to be a place for him to report without the clear negative connotations he wrote in his article today. Yes, Zherdev has a questionable work ethic, my particular gripe is comparing him to Pavel Brendl when NZ is already a proven NHL player, and calling him the laziest player on the ice. What purpose does it serve, other than to get me all riled up when I am hungover at work?

Yes, we ***** about him all the time, because it's frustrating to see him grind his axe. And I disagree that he's not an expert; he's been reporting on the Rangers longer than many of the members of this board, and he should know better than to make such snap judgments this early in training camp.

Brooks et al have an opportunity to see the players skate in camp. I appreaciate the fact that Brooks often has a different story or view than Sam, Zip, and Dellapina. But I am sure there's another story that might be more interesting to those of us unable to see camp than tearing down a player. No, I am not saying he has to be all sunshine and Pollyana, but tell me there isn't another way to question NZ's work ethic without resorting to name calling?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
  #18
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Brooks has two forums to write in: his column and his articles. The former is the place for him to opine about his perceived lack of desire in Zherdev, the latter is supposed to be a place for him to report without the clear negative connotations he wrote in his article today. Yes, Zherdev has a questionable work ethic, my particular gripe is comparing him to Pavel Brendl when NZ is already a proven NHL player, and calling him the laziest player on the ice. What purpose does it serve, other than to get me all riled up when I am hungover at work?

And I disagree that he's not an expert; he's been reporting on the Rangers longer than many of the members of this board, and he should know better than to make such snap judgments this early in training camp.

Brooks et al have an opportunity to see the players skate in camp. I appreaciate the fact that Brooks often has a different story or view than Sam, Zip, and Dellapina. But I am sure there's another story that might be more interesting to those of us unable to see camp than tearing down a player. No, I am not saying he has to be all sunshine and Pollyana, but tell me there isn't another way to question NZ's work ethic without resorting to name calling?
It doesn't mean his opinion is worth any more than your or mine.

And it's hard to report without bias. He's reporting what he saw.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:48 AM
  #19
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It takes more than 2 pre-season practices to settle in. It doesn't take 2 pre-season practices to work hard.
And other than Brooks, who's to say he hasn't been? If he's been so horrid on the ice, why haven't others commented on it?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:49 AM
  #20
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
And other than Brooks, who's to say he hasn't been? If he's been so horrid on the ice, why haven't others commented on it?
If that's what Brooks saw, that's what he's going to write. If you don't find Brook's observations to be what you agree with, why read him?

If it gets you so riled up, email a source (Zipay, Sam, Dellapina) and ask if they saw the same thing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:53 AM
  #21
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It takes more than 2 pre-season practices to settle in. It doesn't take 2 pre-season practices to work hard.
And that's just it. If I'm Zherdev, and I know the knocks on me, I do my damndest to bust my arse out there. The fact that he may even possibly be considered lazy after only 2 days is a bit disconcerting. Hopefully someone pulls him aside and gets him to ratchet it up a notch.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:54 AM
  #22
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If that's what Brooks saw, that's what he's going to write. If you don't find Brook's observations to be what you agree with, why read him?
Because it seems to anger fans that the perpetually negative Brooks has such a wide forum. Like any of us, he is able to pinpoint the problems with the team (and there will be problems with any teams, including ones like Detroit), and he pounces on them...thats his style. For a lot of people thats a more entertaining read than the sunshine assessments that most bloggers put forth.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:54 AM
  #23
AK2794
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If that's what Brooks saw, that's what he's going to write. If you don't find Brook's observations to be what you agree with, why read him?
Thats BS, its not what he saw, its what he determined would get people to read the article and talk about it. And like you said earlier thats his main objection, which he seems to have achieved. But I dont believe he is honestly writing what he saw. Do you think if Zherdev works his butt off today Brooks will call himself out tomor.? I doubt it.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
  #24
Turambar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What is why?
The idea of comparing Zherdev, who has already had a 27-goal season and a 26-goal season, to Brendl.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:59 AM
  #25
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,477
vCash: 500
Interesting to see a negative take on Zherdev, but hey, it's Brooks. He's probably the best Rangers reporter when it comes to getting people talking about his column-- but frankly, I'll go to Sam or Zip whenever I'm looking for an interesting, factual read.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.