HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks on Zherdev 09/19/08

Old
09-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I'm fine with Brooks' view. Zherdev is a guy who has had problems distributing the puck in the past. He's been reported as being lazy at times. And on the second day of practice, he coughs up the puck at the blue line leading to a goal against. Perhaps many feel Brooks is being dramatic, but at the same time Sam basically called it an 'incident' - so Sam thought of that play as being worthy enough to point out. Brooks, who doesn't have a blog where he has something to say every 20 minutes, chose to point that out because it is news, as is how Renney chooses to deal with Zherdev and what style of play he wishes Zherdev to play. And Brooks points out another thing nobody points out - who on that line goes to retrieve the pucks in the corners, does battle along the boards and gets his nose dirty? So many screamed for a winger like that to ride shotgun with Jagr. Renney went to such lengths as to have Isbister play there. Thanks for pointing that out, Larry.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Like any of us, he is able to pinpoint the problems with the team (and there will be problems with any teams, including ones like Detroit), and he pounces on them...thats his style. For a lot of people thats a more entertaining read than the sunshine assessments that most bloggers put forth.

Sunshine assessment or "news you can use"?

You know, if Zherdev's gaffe ended up being the GW in a season game, ok, I can see dedicating an entire article to it and riding the player for being a prima donna unwilling to change.

At very least, the bloggers, who are also journalists, are giving us a broad picture of something we can't see rather than trying to jam a day's worth of camp recaps into a single run-on sentence at the bottom of an article.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Interesting to see a negative take on Zherdev, but hey, it's Brooks. He's probably the best Rangers reporter when it comes to getting people talking about his column-- but frankly, I'll go to Sam or Zip whenever I'm looking for an interesting, factual read.
Agreed. Sam has done an awesome job thus far covering training camp with all his updates. He even has a short video in his latest entry. If you look closely you can kinda see Zherdev's "Psuedo Star-like body language"

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Fletch

AK...

if Zherdev works his butt off today, why would Brooks need to call himself out? Is he going to say, "uh, I misreported yesterday, as evidenced by his hard work in practice today, he actually did work hard in practice yesterday. I was wrong to report that he didn't skate with purpose yesterday"?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Levitate

Someone posts a Brooks article, gives opinion, SBOB *****es about people giving their opinion on Brooks, long derail ensues that's more boring and pointless than *****ing about Brooks, the circle is complete.

Seriously, the complaining about people complaining about Brooks is more annoying than the complaining about Brooks.

As for Brooks...I think he's just setting himself up for articles to write in the future. When Zherdev has a bad game, he can play the "Zherdev was lazy from the beginning! and blah blah". I'd be more concerned about these reports if anyone else at all had the same impression. No one else mentioned it, though, so it's just Larry formulating his plan for the upcoming season.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
AK2794

Fletch- I don't know, but I would assume that he should "man-up" and call it as it is if Z has a strong showing today. Maybe, I'm wrong for thinking he needs to be more "fair" because I really like Zherdev and I don't want an "un-educated" fan to read this article and have that be the only opinion they have of Z, and then as a result just look to pounce on him at the garden because he's the so called next Brendl.

Old
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Someone posts a Brooks article, gives opinion, SBOB *****es about people giving their opinion on Brooks, long derail ensues that's more boring and pointless than *****ing about Brooks, the circle is complete.

Seriously, the complaining about people complaining about Brooks is more annoying than the complaining about Brooks.

As for Brooks...I think he's just setting himself up for articles to write in the future. When Zherdev has a bad game, he can play the "Zherdev was lazy from the beginning! and blah blah". I'd be more concerned about these reports if anyone else at all had the same impression. No one else mentioned it, though, so it's just Larry formulating his plan for the upcoming season.
Lev, you win today's "The Voice of Reason" medal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Synergy27

I find it interesting that so many of us are up in arms and ready to defend a player that we have yet to see in a Blueshirt. I love the Zherdev acquisition. The 27 in my screenname should give you guys a hint as to why. But, I will readily admit that Zherdev's bust potential here is quite high, and I'm not going to be surprised if he turns out to be another super-skilled enigma.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
AK2794

Haha Synergy, the 27 in my name should give away why I'm a fan of his too. I actually think he will be a pretty similar player to AK when it's all said and done, and I would be VERY happy with that.

Old
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I find it interesting that so many of us are up in arms and ready to defend a player that we have yet to see in a Blueshirt. I love the Zherdev acquisition. The 27 in my screenname should give you guys a hint as to why. But, I will readily admit that Zherdev's bust potential here is quite high, and I'm not going to be surprised if he turns out to be another super-skilled enigma.
To me, it's more about trying to not form an opinion about a player before I even get a chance to see him in a real game. Second hand opinions on how he looked in practice, in training camp where veteran players are notorious for playing below their ability level doesn't do much for me.

Basing opinions on little things like that seems silly. I'm sure Zherdev isn't going to be mr. balls to the wall every game, but I'll give him some time to actually show me what he can do before I start complaining about him, instead of relying on Larry Brooks to form my opinion.

Old
09-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
To me, it's more about trying to not form an opinion about a player before I even get a chance to see him in a real game. Second hand opinions on how he looked in practice, in training camp where veteran players are notorious for playing below their ability level doesn't do much for me.

Basing opinions on little things like that seems silly. I'm sure Zherdev isn't going to be mr. balls to the wall every game, but I'll give him some time to actually show me what he can do before I start complaining about him, instead of relying on Larry Brooks to form my opinion.
Agreed. I want like hell for the guy to succeed here, but I'm not going to go out of my way to bash a guy who provides some negative feedback after seeing him play because I have yet to do so. I swear, though, if he dogs it for even one shift in Prague I'm going to be on here ranting like crazy about how I want Tyutin back, just watch...

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:21 AM
94now

Talent doesn't have to work. Mediocrity has to. Since most people are mediocre the talented folks have to show off from time to time so they wouldn't offend the crowd. That is being called "good work ethic". Almost all great talents had those issues at the beginning of their careers. With the time they learn to act and speak to deceive those fools AKA fans and effectively present themselves as a hard workers who care. Someone should have told Nick that he had to simulate hard work even in camp where he has gotten no competition
If Zherdev produces no one will ever bring the ethic issues up. Just let him play.

Last edited by 94now: 09-19-2008 at 09:29 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
Fletch- I don't know, but I would assume that he should "man-up" and call it as it is if Z has a strong showing today. Maybe, I'm wrong for thinking he needs to be more "fair" because I really like Zherdev and I don't want an "un-educated" fan to read this article and have that be the only opinion they have of Z, and then as a result just look to pounce on him at the garden because he's the so called next Brendl.
Man up and report if he has a good practice? What? Its not his job to be a homer. Its his job to write controversial articles like this. Why cant you understand that?

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Yes I would rather see someone tell it straight rather than sugarcoat things but Brooks has absolutely no credibility in my eyes. He lobbied for the return of Jagr and now will write negatively about Zherdev and probably even Naslund unless they get off to hot starts. He is the epitome of a frustrated athlete and sore loser. I hate him!

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:28 AM
chosen

Brooks says that a player of suspect integrity isn't hustling and readers are offended by Brooks' comments?

Save your bad feelings for the player who may turn out to be an all time bust if his advanced notices are accurate.

Brooks isn't saying he won't hustle in the future. He is merely pointing out what he saw. If you don't like what he saw, too bad.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Ola

I think Brooks pice is crap -- but not crap.

Like, I don't agree with what he is saying -- but the timming of it and the message is beautyful.

Zherdev needs a kick in the rear. NY won't take the crap he is on track to serve us, from time to time. Zherdev got workethic issues, and he needs to correct them.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Brooks says that a player of suspect integrity isn't hustling and readers are offended by Brooks' comments?
Since when does Zherdev have "suspect integrity" ?

Quote:
Brooks isn't saying he won't hustle in the future.
Actually, he kinda is. What do you think his purpose is in comparing Zherdev to Brendl?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Levitate

Why are people talking about Zherdev like he's a fresh rookie coming into the NHL and has never played before? The guy scored over 60 points and 25 goals last year. Even if he never does much more than 70 some points, that's hardly an "all-time bust".

He's already proven he's a NHL player.

Old
09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think Brooks pice is crap -- but not crap.

Like, I don't agree with what he is saying -- but the timming of it and the message is beautyful.

Zherdev needs a kick in the rear. NY won't take the crap he is on track to serve us, from time to time. Zherdev got workethic issues, and he needs to correct them.
So you suggest Brooks is or acts like Sather's agent? Hmm...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Since when does Zherdev have "suspect integrity" ?
You should really do some research on his time spent in Columbus.

At best he can be described as aloof...at worst, a headcase.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Jackets fan here.

It is well known around these fly over parts that Z has never been a guy that likes training camp. As a matter of fact he pretty much finds it useless. Brooks might be right, but hold your judgement on Z till the regular season. He should step it up a notch then.

After that, all bets are off as to which Zherdev shows up on any given night. And up to this point he hasn't thrived in an 82 game schedule.

I still like Z, though, and hope he plays well for you guys.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
...the latter is supposed to be a place for him to report without the clear negative connotations he wrote in his article today.
i.e. any language that doesn't placate the softies who feel violated whenever critical thinking is applied to their team.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Weren't the same things said about Jagr?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Turambar

Quote:
You should really do some research on his time spent in Columbus.

And I ask again, how does said player have what is being termed "suspect integrity" ?

Unless your definition of the word "integrity" differs from mine, maybe you're the one that needs to do the research.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
SBOB *****es about people giving their opinion on Brooks
I think that's hardly what I'm doing. My point is whenever people hear the name "Brooks", like "Eklund", the conversation moves from the content to the source.

If people loathe Brooks so much, don't read him. If people know than Eklund is never right with his rumors, why talk about them?