HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brooks on Zherdev 09/19/08

Old
09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
What do you think his purpose is in comparing Zherdev to Brendl?
The comparison to Brendl is what I liked least about his article. Comparing a proven NHL scorer with a slug that never made the NHL for more than 10 game stretches at a time is a complete insult. Yes Renney will have his hands full motivating Zherdev at times but he's not Pavel Brendl. Brooks deserves the criticism just for that comment alone.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Jackets fan here.

It is well known around these fly over parts that Z has never been a guy that likes training camp. As a matter of fact he pretty much finds it useless. Brooks might be right, but hold your judgement on Z till the regular season. He should step it up a notch then.

After that, all bets are off as to which Zherdev shows up on any given night. And up to this point he hasn't thrived in an 82 game schedule.

I still like Z, though, and hope he plays well for you guys.
I'm basically thinking that he'll do better (at least pointwise) than he did in Columbus, just by having some more support, but it'll take at least another year under Renney to get some of those issues ironed out.

I pretty much have confidence that if there's one person who can take the time to teach a guy like Zherdev how to come to play every night and be responsible on the ice, it's Renney. And he's a real players coach, so I don't think he's going to try to do it in a way that alienates Zherdev. All of the Rangers in the past few years have said they play hard for Renney because they like him. Seems like the kind of guy that Zherdev would do well under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Weren't the same things said about Jagr?
Yeah but Jagr was/is much more talented.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Fletch

AK - honestly, I don't fully expect him to talk about a good practice. At some point, if it's done with consistently and he's standing out for his play 'with purpose', I think he will point that out. The problem with Zherdev has been his work ethic. It seems to have gotten better, but when it appears to slip on day 2 of practice, when apparently most every player is playing hard and fighting for a job, it stands out as newsworthy.

As mentioned, I am interested to see how Renney deals with Zherdev. Does he try to make him into a defensive player and stifle his offense and his talents? I think Prucha focused a lot on the other side of the puck last season and it hurt him a bit. We'll see. I don't know the right answer. Renney wants the game played a certain way (much like Campbell wanted years ago). We saw how Alexei fared here. Hopefully Zherdev's a different story.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
i.e. any language that doesn't placate the softies who feel violated whenever critical thinking is applied to their team.
Dude, you and your creepy avatars!

There is a difference between a critical analysis of a player, which would be supported by clear and detailed observations of their on-ice behavior, and a negative report filled with name calling and innuendo. Brooks gets lazy himself, and this article is an example of the latter and his laziness.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:59 AM
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Man up and report if he has a good practice? What? Its not his job to be a homer. Its his job to write controversial articles like this. Why cant you understand that?
Yea, but he's a homer when he wants to be. Like his crush on Jagr and Avery. Would he have called out either of them like this on the 2nd day of training camp? NO!

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I take it you fellas aren't really relating to the first few days of hitting ice competitively after a long layoff? God bless them (zherdev) for not going full speed. I would hate to see one of my star forwards go down with injury because he was "busting" his ass to prove himself in a setting that doesn't really matter..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Weren't the same things said about Jagr?
Yes, yes they were. Nevermind for a moment that Jagr was and probably still is more talented than Zherdev. The fact is, after 3+ years, Jagr was ready to be run out of town by several Ranger fans.

All Im saying is Zherdev enters New York with almost as much baggage as talent. Hes the template for players this city has chewed up and spit out. I hope he proves my thinking wrong, but I have a strange feeling that all this Zherdev love wont be around come January.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
As mentioned, I am interested to see how Renney deals with Zherdev. Does he try to make him into a defensive player and stifle his offense and his talents? I think Prucha focused a lot on the other side of the puck last season and it hurt him a bit. We'll see. I don't know the right answer. Renney wants the game played a certain way (much like Campbell wanted years ago). We saw how Alexei fared here. Hopefully Zherdev's a different story.
That is a good point Fletch. What you don't want to happen is that you reign Zherdev in so far, he becomes only capable of Dawes/Prucha/Callahan levels of production. "Floating" is a proven tactic for generating surprise offense, and if you're going to mandate an offensive expectation from a player, you have to give him some kind of leeway for doing it the way he knows how.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Fletch

All Zherdev has to do is show up for work and play hard. It's a pretty simple formula for success here. And it's going to be Renney's job to get the most out of him. The good news is he's a year older, and maturity is often the perfect recipe for success for these kids. Playing with a vet like Gomez will help. Having other vets around him should help too.

Old
09-19-2008, 10:20 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
This is just Z being Z. He's the type of guy that either shows up and brings it or shows up and wants to leave--That's Zherdev. Here's the prototypical Zherdev season: dogs it in training camp, comes out on fire to start the season, starts to float around for a few games, gets in the coach's dog house, plays better, start to float around again, press gets on his back, repeat.

The good news is the guy has so much skill that he'll still get 70 points next season (if Gomez doesn't kill him first). He's a good player and a few highlight goals does wonders for your career. He rubs some people the wrong way but he'll be fine in NYC.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Fletch

it's interesting MJ. And floating does lead to breakaways and the transition game can, at times, lend itself to floating. He doesn't seem to be a natural fit into Renney's system, so again, it'll be interesting to see how things play out with him. Moving the puck forward sometimes is a foreign word to many talented players, and I think that's what Renney would like to do.

Old
09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Levitate

Quote:
it's interesting MJ. And floating does lead to breakaways and the transition game can, at times, lend itself to floating. He doesn't seem to be a natural fit into Renney's system, so again, it'll be interesting to see how things play out with him. Moving the puck forward sometimes is a foreign word to many talented players, and I think that's what Renney would like to do.
I don't know if we have a great idea of what Renney's system will be this year. He wanted the team to be faster and become more of a transition offense, with the defense being able to make good breakout passes to start things the other way...this would seem to jive with Zherdev's reported ability to carry the puck up the ice. He doesn't seem to have the meandering mindset of Jagr, so transition game might work well with him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Dude, you and your creepy avatars!

There is a difference between a critical analysis of a player, which would be supported by clear and detailed observations of their on-ice behavior, and a negative report filled with name calling and innuendo. Brooks gets lazy himself, and this article is an example of the latter and his laziness.
That's hog-wash. Because we all know that if the article title was "Rangers' Zherdev off to a good start' most here would be popping in their seats like a bunch of kids waiting for the last school bell before summer.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:25 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'll take Renney's opinion over probably the worst sports writer in the NYC metro area.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I would hope that we knew what we were getting with Zherdev.
Will the coach tolerate sloppy play with Zherdev and not with others...I reckon not, but this is the sort of thing you don't need when you are trying to gel a team.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
and maybe Nedved has a chance afterall...

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Were any of you at camp so far watching the guys play? Larry Brooks has been, and I believe him about Zherdev. The guy HAS been lazy for a lot of his career, and if he does it here he's going to have guys like Brooks call him out on it bottom line.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Fletch

that's a great point, Shadowtron. If it was a positive article about how the line was flying and clicking, posters would be asking if Zherdev can hit 90 points this season (note: some posters, not most or all, of course).

Old
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
wa2k99

He will score 35 goals, I guarante it. I saw him play a lot, since I live in the midwest. He just needs to find linemates.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Geez, SBOB, thanks for adding your insights to the discourse.
But he's right. Larry just pushes the buttons to get people tweaked. He could have written that from his apartment. So predictable.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Were any of you at camp so far watching the guys play? Larry Brooks has been, and I believe him about Zherdev. The guy HAS been lazy for a lot of his career, and if he does it here he's going to have guys like Brooks call him out on it bottom line.
no, but none of the other 5 beat writers i have read called him lazy, just that he had one really bad turnover......and imho, they are all better than larry

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
94now

Quote:
All Zherdev has to do is show up for work and play hard. It's a pretty simple formula for success here.
Incorrect. The only formula for success in NY is "Net the Puck". Even tons of assists wont cut it here... Score 40 goals and tell Ulcle Larry to go and do something to him self.
The comparison to Brendl should insult Sather even more then Zherdev. That would equal Slats to Smith.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I really don't care about Brooks' commentary. I'll wait until the season starts to pass judgment.

If writers didn't stir up controversy, they wouldn't have jobs. Flat out...

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
This is just Z being Z. He's the type of guy that either shows up and brings it or shows up and wants to leave--That's Zherdev. Here's the prototypical Zherdev season: dogs it in training camp, comes out on fire to start the season, starts to float around for a few games, gets in the coach's dog house, plays better, start to float around again, press gets on his back, repeat.

The good news is the guy has so much skill that he'll still get 70 points next season (if Gomez doesn't kill him first). He's a good player and a few highlight goals does wonders for your career. He rubs some people the wrong way but he'll be fine in NYC.
Really getting tired of BJ fans coming here and saying this

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Oh no, oh no! An offensive player doggin it in camp, heavens to bitsy!

Just because he writes articles on your favorite team doesnt mean you have to read it. Supporting the New York Post is another evil entirely.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote