HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nhl 2009

Old
09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
what happens if you have stamina on? are they tired as balls?
Yeah, they slow down a bit and you can win races to the puck really easily.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 04:19 PM
chthonic

I never played NHL 08, was real used to NHL 2k8's controls (trigger buttons = shoot/pass)... This has been really really hard getting used to shooting with the right analog. I'm always trying to deke and end up accidentally letting a weak wrister go.

It's also way more like a sim than any NHL game i've played. You absolutely need to cycle and use your teammates. I'm so used to hot dogging on offense and checking anything that moves on defense, so this is brutal.

Fun, but really hard to change. Not winning many games, and when i do, its 2-1, 1-0, 2-0, etc.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
I never played NHL 08, was real used to NHL 2k8's controls (trigger buttons = shoot/pass)... This has been really really hard getting used to shooting with the right analog. I'm always trying to deke and end up accidentally letting a weak wrister go.

It's also way more like a sim than any NHL game i've played. You absolutely need to cycle and use your teammates. I'm so used to hot dogging on offense and checking anything that moves on defense, so this is brutal.

Fun, but really hard to change. Not winning many games, and when i do, its 2-1, 1-0, 2-0, etc.
The shooting system takes some getting used to, but once you get it, anything else is not even comparable

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Backwards67

I find it exactly the same as NHL 08.

I have both for 360.

Leaf fan...
I've been promoted each week 1 line up.
so by the 5th week, I was teamed up with McCabe.
(they haven't made the trade yet)
but I like playing Left D, and they have me on the right, I guess because I'm a left handed shot.
Still, when I play ice hockey and ball hockey, I always play left D.

Even when I play the game, I tend to go to the left always.
(that's what she said...)

I've been on the top line for more then 4 weeks now, no updates from my GM or coach. (I was used to it I guess, now I just feel lonely)

Anyways, the game is great, and fairly easy on Pro level.

P.S. I do hate the line changing, sometimes it doesnt switch properly, and I end up not controlling my player for the rest of the shift.

Backwards67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards67 View Post
P.S. I do hate the line changing, sometimes it doesnt switch properly, and I end up not controlling my player for the rest of the shift.
I also had this problem on my PS3 version, but only when I played as a dman. I've also tried out RW and center, and neither of them had a problem with line changes. As a dman, sometimes when I would call for a line change my entire line would swap on and off the ice over and over indefinitely, giving the other team a 5 on 0 or 1 until the whistle blew. Also, sometimes the line changes would simply stop working and I would be unable to call for a line change until the next stoppage. All this only happened while playing as a dman, so after a few 5 on 1 goals against me I got frustrated and went back to playing as a forward.

Arastiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM

The Phantoms defence sucks dick, but good job i'm on the RW to make up for it.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

http://www.bleepingidiots.com/2008/0...review-nhl-09/

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
The Phantoms defence sucks dick, but good job i'm on the RW to make up for it.
nah man, the phantoms blow. their goaltending is brutal

i'm 1-3-0

all high scoring games too

though, i'm doing pretty good, 6 goals, 3 assists

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
nah man, the phantoms blow. their goaltending is brutal

i'm 1-3-0

all high scoring games too

though, i'm doing pretty good, 6 goals, 3 assists
I'm finding it hard to make some assists. I've laid on some killer passes, one of them leaving Kane with an open goal for about an entire second and he didn't even shoot. Seriously, i must score about 75% of the teams goals.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:07 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I'm finding it hard to make some assists. I've laid on some killer passes, one of them leaving Kane with an open goal for about an entire second and he didn't even shoot. Seriously, i must score about 75% of the teams goals.
Hit the call for shot button and force the comp to shoot more.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:31 AM
DUHockey9

I'm getting a lot of assists as an offensive defenseman. Be sure to hit the call for shot button to force them to shoot. I also get quite a few by ripping a low shot button and utilizing the call for shot button on rebounds. I had 4 assists one game just based on low slapshots and putting in rebounds.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:25 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Hey guys,

Don't want to come off as a spammer, but thought you might want to check out EASHLForum.com if you have an online team or are looking to join a team.

We have a team (HF Titans) and have moved our chats from HF to there to save on HF bandwidth and keep our discussions more organized.

When you register, you get 2 of your own team forums (private and public) to discuss whatever you want.

There's actually someone in the recruitment thread looking to join a team with guys from the Philly area.

If you're interested, check it out. We've been using it a lot and it's been great.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

So far so good with the game. I really do think the gameplay is a vast improvement over the last two installments. The only big downside I see are some of the "fluke" goals that occur and the stupidity of the Dmen and Goalie AI. For example i shot one off the post last night that the dman on the opposing team collected and walked straight into his goal (hey, I'll take it). But more often than not, the fluke goals happen against me, with my dmen poke checking the puck away from an attacker and straight into the net. Gets a bit frustrating.

Also, has anyone else experienced a bug where you call for a line change so you can get on the ice, and the team continues to play on? It's happened to me a handful of times where I hit B and they continue up the ice. Confused, I hit B again, still nothing. I eventually have to wait until either A) a team scores or B) there is a stoppage of play. Either way it blows.

And finally, when I call for shots and try to mop up the rebounds, I often find that I end up throwing a check and taking a penalty rather than scoring on an empty net. Screaming usually ensues.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
So far so good with the game. I really do think the gameplay is a vast improvement over the last two installments. The only big downside I see are some of the "fluke" goals that occur and the stupidity of the Dmen and Goalie AI. For example i shot one off the post last night that the dman on the opposing team collected and walked straight into his goal (hey, I'll take it). But more often than not, the fluke goals happen against me, with my dmen poke checking the puck away from an attacker and straight into the net. Gets a bit frustrating.

Also, has anyone else experienced a bug where you call for a line change so you can get on the ice, and the team continues to play on? It's happened to me a handful of times where I hit B and they continue up the ice. Confused, I hit B again, still nothing. I eventually have to wait until either A) a team scores or B) there is a stoppage of play. Either way it blows.

And finally, when I call for shots and try to mop up the rebounds, I often find that I end up throwing a check and taking a penalty rather than scoring on an empty net. Screaming usually ensues.
I HATE THAT. I understand you need to be patient enough to let the puck hit your stick and all, but taking a crosschecking penalty when ur 1 on 1 with a goalie out of position and instead of getting a goal you get 2 minutes in the box, that pisses me off to no end.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
I HATE THAT. I understand you need to be patient enough to let the puck hit your stick and all, but taking a crosschecking penalty when ur 1 on 1 with a goalie out of position and instead of getting a goal you get 2 minutes in the box, that pisses me off to no end.
haha. At least it isn't ridiculously easy to pop in a rebound like it was in NHL 06 for PS2. I made a killing shooting it low off the goalie in a two on one situation and scoring on the rebound. It was so easy to pull off that it took the place of a one-timer for me.

Oh how I miss 12-2 rompings...

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:20 PM
TehBBA

I'm playing through "Be A Pro" as a sniper RW, and I just played through my first NHL game after getting called up. Road game, on the Island

Goal and two assists.

Apparantly, Homer thought trading Cannon to Atlanta for Bryan Little was a good idea.

My two assists were on Little's 2nd and 3rd goals of the year, the 3rd being an empty netter.

I wonder what Cannon's stats are, centering Kovalchuk?

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Teezax

Yup so still a Blue Jacket, leading the team in pts, second in the division
behind an undefeated Red Wings team. Lots of chemistry with Umberger and Huselius
on the 2nd line, but have been promoted to line 1 and am awaiting my 1st game with Rick Nash
who is on a serious drought.
Flyers traded me and are a .500 team right now, serves them right.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

after my 5th game i finally got promoted.....to the 2nd line on the Phantoms

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:07 PM
flyboys15

I got 11 games into the season and I was already rocking a flying P on my chest...I have found that the Be a Pro and regular "play nows" feel very much like how NHL 08 handles however, it is not as mechanical. It is much more difficult to deke a goalie into a tailspin, land any shot exactly where you have targeted it to be and tape to tape every pass...it is frustrating because given goal scoring opportunites are anything but but I enjoy it all the same.

Last edited by flyboys15: 09-18-2008 at 08:16 PM.
flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I really need to get this game now. I just hate not having money!!! arghh. I wonder how long it will take to hit the £20 range

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
BlackTuuk

Upshall is OT magic in this game! The guy has 7 GWG for me thus far, and it is only the begining of January in my Dynasty season. Is Scottie a beast for anyone else, too?

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:26 AM
chaosof99*

I really love the be a pro mode. First game in the NHL series since NHL 2000 I played. Find it awesome. Unfortunately. The DVD drive of my XBox 360 broke yesterday curses.

I got a few problems though: For one, the game does not respect retired number. While it allows my player to wear the 99, I hate it that they gave Glen Metropolit the 4. I guess/hope, they'll make a roster update with season start, fixing the player numbers.

The second thing that totally bugs me is that the game traded in my career Kimmo Timonen for Glen Murray. That trade makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Apparently stupid trades happen allot then.

Oh the days of having the salary cap on and having these lines

Gagne-Briere-Hemsky
Frolov-Richards-Downie
Lupul-Carter-Svatos
Cote-Rookie-(rookie to get calder)

Timmonen-Parent
Vishnovsky-Coburn
Green- Eminger

Kari Lehtonenen
Nittimaki For the finish duo!

This is the fourth season too. Carter and richards signed a 6 year 3 million a season deal!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote