HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Derian Hatcher officially put on LTIR

Old
09-18-2008, 05:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Derian Hatcher officially put on LTIR

Per TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2499...=headlines_nhl

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 05:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Is he still going to scrimmage in the pre-season?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 05:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

good riddance....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 06:32 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Is he still going to scrimmage in the pre-season?
I think it was the article about Captain Cannon that had Homer saying Hatch wouldn't be attending training camp, so I would doubt he'd be at any scrimmages.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:43 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Shame for the guy but his knees are messed up

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
You can't blame him for signing a nice contract and you can't blame him for wanting to play it out. Hopefully he can rehab enough and get back in playing shape in time for the playoffs. There's no cap then and he'll be a valuable #6/7... there's no way in hell this team (or any team, really) gets to the playoffs will a healthy D-corps and he'll be a much needed warm body.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:51 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Thank you.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I think its tough for a guy who plays his heart out, and a lot of people are saying "thank god" and "good riddance" but the guy did a nice job on special teams here and was a leader for this team. I appreciate what he has done with the condition his body was in and I'm surprised he's made it this far. Good luck Hatch!

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:30 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
I think its tough for a guy who plays his heart out, and a lot of people are saying "thank god" and "good riddance" but the guy did a nice job on special teams here and was a leader for this team. I appreciate what he has done with the condition his body was in and I'm surprised he's made it this far. Good luck Hatch!
Well said. Coburn is a better defender because of Hatcher, and he's a big reason the PK has been so good.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

For all his faults, I still miss the guy when he's not out there.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:04 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
For all his faults, I still miss the guy when he's not out there.
agreed.

He looked great in the playoffs, and I will miss Hatcher killing people. It definitely eliminates some physical play but hopefully Vananen can pick that up. Hawqtcher will be missed, but with his knee conditions, this had to be done.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
I don't regret a thing at all that I said about Hatcher. From the day they signed him, I knew it meant the end of Markov and Johnsson, two guys who were absolute warriors for the Flyers during their 03-04 playoff run. It's funny that the Flyers would give a washed up has beens like Hatcher and Rathje a big contract, but wouldn't spend the money it would take to re-sign our best defenseman in Johnsson.

And to be perfectly honest, I am glad he's gone. He was nothing more than a turn stile out on the ice who constantly had to rely on hooking and holding to keep close to people. He was a detriment out there. People can say what they want about how Hatcher 'taught' Coburn to be a defenseman, but I'm willing to bet Johnsson and Markov would have done just as good a job.

That's what pisses me off about Hatcher - the guys we lost to keep him on the roster when he didn't even deserve to make the Phantoms squad.

Old
09-18-2008, 10:27 PM
flyersfan97

I think the loss of Hatch is going to be felt more than many people realize. He may not have been the most mobile guy out there, but he could still punish the crap out of an opponent against the boards. I wish him nothing but the best. Isn't he the first American captain to win a Cup? That alone is pretty sweet.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:20 PM
McNasty

It's bitter sweet for me personally. Before this past playoff season i would probably be thrilled. But he showed when healthy he can still play. Let's face it without him we have a soft blueline, even with him its still pretty soft. He's a leader on the ice and off of it, and one hell of a penalty killer. Say what you want about his limitations skating and handling the puck, but Hatcher is a guy that will definitely be missed.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Unstable

I think to some extent he's still dogged by that first season when we had him and (God help us) Therien. One of those players was worth dressing that year, and it was Hatch.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:01 AM
ELab2

boner-ific

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't regret a thing at all that I said about Hatcher. From the day they signed him, I knew it meant the end of Markov and Johnsson, two guys who were absolute warriors for the Flyers during their 03-04 playoff run. It's funny that the Flyers would give a washed up has beens like Hatcher and Rathje a big contract, but wouldn't spend the money it would take to re-sign our best defenseman in Johnsson.

And to be perfectly honest, I am glad he's gone. He was nothing more than a turn stile out on the ice who constantly had to rely on hooking and holding to keep close to people. He was a detriment out there. People can say what they want about how Hatcher 'taught' Coburn to be a defenseman, but I'm willing to bet Johnsson and Markov would have done just as good a job.

That's what pisses me off about Hatcher - the guys we lost to keep him on the roster when he didn't even deserve to make the Phantoms squad.
First off, Markov, on numerous accounts stated that he was returning to Russia because of the uncertainty surrounding the new agreement between the League and the PA. Second, When Minnesota nearly quadrupled Jonsson's salary following a concussion riddled-season, the Flyers made a tough decision to not match and walk away. Third, Hatcher was, and is, a class act for this organization. His selflessness and willingness to play hurt down the stretch is the type of example and lesson I want imparted onto my young players regarding sacrificing yourself for the greater good of the team. Go back and watch the playoffs again, or the season for that matter, and you'll see that Hatcher fine tuned his positional play to make up for his ridiculously slow foot speed. I used to curse Hatcher with a tongue that would make Richard Pryor blush but at the end of last year's run, he was the epitome of a warrior.

Last edited by GKJ: 09-19-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
he is going to be missed. he could still punish people and would allways stand up for a teammate.
I may have called him names like slug, sloth ect. but I will miss the guy. Hope he is good enough to go in the playoffs. Would like to see him get a job in the organization after he offically retires.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
if he comes back rested and fully recovered for the playoffs, he could be a very valuable piece in a drive. he's an awesome team guy and definitely someone i want in my locker room.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

He is slower then a glacier but i will miss his bad ass out on the ice when he used to man handle guys and crush little guys. You can't deny he tried making huge hits just ask Lupul.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:56 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
He is slower then a glacier but i will miss his bad ass out on the ice when he used to man handle guys and crush little guys. You can't deny he tried making huge hits just ask Lupul.
I hate that his biggest hit this past season was against Joffrey Lupul.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
if he comes back rested and fully recovered for the playoffs, he could be a very valuable piece in a drive. he's an awesome team guy and definitely someone i want in my locker room.
I'd be willing to bet anything that if Hatcher even begins to remotely look like he's trying to come back, Holmgren will pull a Tonya Harding and hire someone to break his kneecap. That $3M+ won't go anywhere near the Flyers cap if he can help it.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Miracle80

Send a message via AIM to Miracle80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
First off, Markov, on numerous accounts stated that he was returning to Russia because of the uncertainty surrounding the new agreement between the League and the PA. Second, When Minnesota nearly quadrupled Jonsson's salary following a concussion riddled-season, the Flyers made a tough decision to not match and walk away. Third, Hatcher was, and is, a class act for this organization. His selflessness and willingness to play hurt down the stretch is the type of example and lesson I want imparted onto my young players regarding sacrificing yourself for the greater good of the team. Go back and watch the playoffs again, or the season for that matter, and you'll see that Hatcher fine tuned his positional play to make up for his ridiculously slow foot speed. I used to curse Hatcher with a tongue that would make Richard Pryor blush but at the end of last year's run, he was the epitome of a warrior.
I've never been a Hatcher fan but I agree with this. But Kapanen is Warrior, deal with it. And I do not ever want to see him(Hatcher) in a Flyers uniform again.

Miracle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:53 AM
dawkins121

Hatcher was a leader, he hit hard, and there were few better on the PK. Was he worth 3.5 mil a year? No. But he was definitely a warrior and solid contributer to this team. So as relieved as I am to have his salary off the books, I think it is unfair to sit here and say "good riddance" because he did give his all to this franchise.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 04:39 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Markov did not state he was returning to Russia. Markov said Russia was always an option. The biggest problem Markov had was that there were players he believed that were collecting pay cheques claiming to be hurt when he wondered if they really were. Markov said that he could claim he was hurt as well because he played through the playoffs with broken feet, but he didn't complain once about it. That's what got Markov going and when he joked he might seek about getting payment, word got back to Philadelphia about what he said and Clarke was not amused.

Second, with regards to Jonsson, his salary did not quadruple. His salary went from 2.5 million after the lockout to 5.25million a year when he signed the contract with Minnesota. It doubled. Hatcher, on the other hand, was coming off major knee surgery and did not play very well that past few seasons before the lockout. Johnsson deserved the benefit of the doubt after having the concussion. It was Johnsson's first, he was ready to come back come playoff time, the Flyers held him out. He was ready to play.

As for Hatcher being a 'class act', what exactly has he done to be a class act? And to be honest, when hear about how 'selfless' he was and how he 'continued' to play through injury, I look at what Markov did and what Johnsson did for us when Markov played throughout the playoffs on two broken feet and Johnsson played with a thumb so badly broken, he could barely hold a stick.

The Hatcher/Rathje signings were the absolute WORST contract signings that set this franchise back. If it's one thing I'll grill my namesake idol for, it's for those two foolish, foolish signings because Clarke honestly thought the refs were going to call the game it was prior to the lockout. What makes the moves even more foolish is the fact that Ed Snider was on the competition committee and that Ed knew things were going to be called and that it wasn't going to be like the old days. Clarke really, really, really dropped the ball with those two signings and it came back to bite us hard because those two contracts were immovable contracts.